Thread: What smart phone, tablet, PC "apps" do you use?

Default What smart phone, tablet, PC "apps" do you use?

The number of apps each brand offers is incredible. However, I haven't found many that are all that useful beyond what's available by going to a web page. (Many of the news apps I use are really just alternatives to website bookmarks.)

So what novel or indispensable apps have you got on your phone, tablet or PC?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Website bookmarks may give you some of the same info but they look like crap and lose tons of functionality. Apps are built to look good, are easy to navigate and give you the info you want in minimal time/clicks.

Some of my fav Android apps are:

Kayak, SeatGuru, Flightboard
    Plume or Tweetcaster (Twitter)
    Facebook, G+, LinkedIn, WhatsApp
    Google Maps, YouTube
    Opentable, Flixster, IMDb, Optik TV Remote Record
    CBS Sports, The Score, NHL Gamecenter, Oilers, WHL, CFL, NLL
    Gas Buddy, eBay, Yellowpages, SoundHound or Shazam, Scotiabank, OnStar RemoteLink (starting your car or unlocking it from your phone, yes please )

C2E Hard Core Contributor

None. Don't care about apps, this is why the BB Z-10 serves me just fine.

For Android, I like to use:

ES File Explorer

MX Player - Video player. My favourite feature is a screen lock, to keep you from accidently fast forwarding, changing the volume, etc when handling the phone and watching a video. Can play most video types(provided your phone has the horsepower; you can re-encode videos to a lower resolution and bitrate on a PC; I like to use a freeware program called Xmedia Recode.

CoolReader - Good e-Book reader, with support for .Mobi and .ePub books

Apparently you can even borrow eBooks from the library, though I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I'm with the OP on this one. No matter what the platform, I seem to be able to surf, get kindle/kobo books, and heaven forbid...take a picture. I'm curious to see how the new version of this forum software will render in all tablets though...

I will never get this "mine is bigger than yours" app battle. I will take the maligned Win8 and BB application library. Both my Win8 tablet PC and my Playbook have the same applicaitons I need...just like the Android and iOS ones...

Brag about the number of apps all you want, but when you search for something like "navigation" for an app, and all platforms return humdreds of maps, nav aids, and toys...well...just because you have 1,000 of one type of application does not mean they are all good!

I seriously find myself wondering if the app game is more developers trying to push their version of angry snails, or angry mice...or angry old men...onto the masses. It reminds me of the old NT v Unix V Linix v what-the-heck-ever OS battles.

...Adam Buckley said it best...remember when you were beat up for being excited over a new app or OS?
    Onward and upward

C2E Continued Contributor

Android phone:

Plume for twitter, Facebook, Edm Journal, Oilers, Score Mobile, Scotiabank, Google Drive, Gmail, Cineplex mostly, along with Flick Golf and Flick Soccer when needing to pass some time (waiting at the doctor, or whatever)

On my PC:

Winamp classic, Citrix Receiver (for work), Google Chrome, VLC, a few games, Drobo dashboard

A few staple apps, but for the most part, I can do many things within Google Chrome, that I may not need many installed apps.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Many of the apps I use are definitely more useful than the corresponding web page or don't have a web page equivalent.

I have the usual suspects for social network: Facebook, Tweetbot, Foursquare, and Path. I use path primarily for crossposting pictures across multiple networks, Flickr

For reading and listening stuff: Feedly (I have over 150 news feeds set up in Google Reader), iBooks, the Economist app (tied to my subscription), National Geographic (tied to my subscription), Kindle, Downcast (podcast gathering), Degrees (Canadian weather app with radar, historical data, and push alerts).

GPS or location: Waze and RunKeeper.

Personal Information and files: Simplenote, Evernote, Dropbox, Gas Cubby (mileage tracking), Lost It! (for trying to become less tire shaped).

Productivity: Things (task management synced across all my devices and desktops), DayOne (journaling app synced across all devices and platforms), Trello (web based management tool we use at my workplace), 1Password, ConvertBot, my banks app (far easier for account stuff than the web page).

On the tablet the only big difference would be ComicZeal for reading comics, Paper for sketching, Soulver for advanced math.

I also use Apples basic apps: Reminders, Mail and Calendar a fair amount.

I've left out all the games.

Oh and I recommend the Alberta Heath Services app particularly for the Emergency Wait Times section.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

C2E Long Term Contributor

Every app I have is freeware. I'm too cheap to buy software!

Android: Twitter, Facebook, Weather Network, Tip Calculator, Google Map, Avast Anti-virus, Notepad

PC: Outlook, Chrome, Firefox, MS Office, Google Earth, Avira Anti-virus, PC Tools Anti-virus, SpywareBlaster, Spybot Search & Destroy. I know that's a lot of security apps, but I had a painful malware attack years ago so I've been rather anal about preventing a reoccurance.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I'm with the OP on this one. No matter what the platform, I seem to be able to surf, get kindle/kobo books, and heaven forbid...take a picture. I'm curious to see how the new version of this forum software will render in all tablets though...

I will never get this "mine is bigger than yours" app battle. I will take the maligned Win8 and BB application library. Both my Win8 tablet PC and my Playbook have the same applicaitons I need...just like the Android and iOS ones...

Brag about the number of apps all you want, but when you search for something like "navigation" for an app, and all platforms return humdreds of maps, nav aids, and toys...well...just because you have 1,000 of one type of application does not mean they are all good!

I seriously find myself wondering if the app game is more developers trying to push their version of angry snails, or angry mice...or angry old men...onto the masses. It reminds me of the old NT v Unix V Linix v what-the-heck-ever OS battles.

...Adam Buckley said it best...remember when you were beat up for being excited over a new app or OS?
    And that is great for you but millions of other people use various other apps, obviously there is a huge market for apps and games and is why so many are developed/used. Just because you don't use apps doesn't mean the rest of us don't, I have over 160 on my phone and they all serve a special purpose that I like.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

....sorry if you thought I was insulting the OCD with apps I guess my GF's shoe and Swarovski addiction seems quaint now...

I should introduce you to a friend of mine...you and Darryl can compare notes! I thought he was addicted at 40 apps that he never uses...

I have far too many friends that got into this appy wappy slappy one-upmanship...and then you ask what they use the app for, or how often...and the normal answer is "well, I used it a couple of times"...but I have it!!! Do you???

…yeah right…I need 3 pairs of shoes for Friday…

Seriously though...I wonder just how many people use 160 apps, or even 60. ...and I am not counting games....

...it is a serious question Hilman. If we keep tossing around app count as some kind of measurement of success, what is it? Is it the parallel to US college hockey teams (MY Canadians can beat YOUR Canadians...aka My OS's nerds can develop more than YOUR OS's nerds)?

I understand that the market potential for applications is fairly large…IF you can make that "killer app"...your revenue is great. ...however...my point remians...in 5X10^8 apps in a library - how many would you use/need/even bloody notice? How many fail/die/go into obscurity?
    In that diluted of an ecosystem, counting apps v apps v apps is like counting how many grains of sand each beach in Hawaii has to define the "best" beach...and then try to extrapolate it to the other beaches in the world!

...I will still submit that like any other red ocean technology or business, why so many are developed and launched is because they can, the entry point is cheap and easy, and there is a hope that they get noticed and bought up by the bigger fish. This is no different than the pager world prior to cell phones...the rapid M&A in the telecoms business in the 1990's, proliferation in the video game market in the 1980's, saturation of TV's, the pathetic attempt by Detroit to "badge engineer", and other obvious ways to appear to offer more choice and selection...

I'd really like to know:
    • how many counted apps are actually current releases v freeware lite v consumer v pro (aka 1 app counted 4+times)...I'll bet they all do the second part...just like airports count "passengers", or McDonalds counted "people" served
    • what the retail shelf life of the average app and/or developer are. In that red of an ocean, I'd bet not long.
    • How many people actually make money or is this more like Amway...
    • how many of these hundreds of thousands of apps are only sold to their friends, family, and the odd user...before it turns cold, so it won't get sold..it just sits on the back of a discount rack like another can of beans...
    At a price point of free - $4, and limited support...there just isn't the market. You may toss the rhetoric of "millions" of potential customers...but then in the other side of the mouth toss out "hundreds of thousands of apps"...do the math and that really dillutes the market. It is not like 3 office suites duking it out in a market of millions...

So, my point remains the same. As per the OP, it is interesting to see just how many apps people really use, and potentially find indispensable, vs what you can pretty much get via a web page or already existing functionality. My answer remains the same..I'm with the OP on this one. No matter what the platform, I seem to be able to surf, get kindle/kobo books, and heaven forbid...take a picture. There is no app out there that I can't get as a web page, or get by using already existing tools....that I have found yet anyway.

...let's be honest...this "app" thing is the creation of new OS's not being able to integrate into the more generic ecosystem...and to recover this they have brilliantly marketed it into some kind of exclusivity to have an "app for that"....Jobs was not a visionary...he was just PT Barnum with tech savvy.

...but an app fetish would be much cheaper than a Swaorvski habit....HEY SWEETHEART…CAN YOU COME HERE FOR A SECOND???...LET'S BUY YOU ANOTHER TABLET...OK????
    Onward and upward

apps on my iPhone - bunch of self made bookmarks on the homescreen to take me to my favorite websites and forums, a few games,

Apps that I use frequently and regularly.
    Music/radio/video: CBC Radio, Sirius, shaw on demand, Youtube, Vimeo...
    Photo: flickr, photosynth, imageshack
    Maps/gps: Openmaps, MapMyRide, Google Maps, ETS Mobile
    Work Related: Good for Enterprise (email/calendar/tasks), RSA SecurID (software token for remote access). RDP, Citrix receiver, Lync 2010
    Browsers: Chrome (and safari of course), ireddit
    Social: Facebook, whatapp, linkedIn, g+, Gmail

There has been probably a few hundred other apps that I've tried and found absolutely no use for. Hating clutter, I've deleted all the ones I don't use. It seems about 50% of the apps in the apple app store are basically just shortcuts to mobile versions of websites..... I can do that myself, and so can anyone... just by creating bookmarks.
    Last edited by Medwards; 22-03-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Team Iphone here. Although I would love a new desktop PC. My netbook drives me bonkers.

As per apps

I do my banking with Scotiabank and TD Bank apps
    I do a lot of shopping with the Ebay, Paypal and Kijiji Apps as well as Apps to some of my favorite clothing stores (Plndr, Karmaloop)Always looking for good deals with my Groupon and Checkout 51 apps
    My social media is all done via Apps. Twitter. Facebook (although their app has always been terrible, which could eventually be the downfall of Facebook)
    I like to take edit and share photos with Instagram and Diptic
    Im a fan of SMS Rage Faces app to allow me to t.roll my friends via text/iMessage
    Video I use TwitVid to share videos. I also use Youtube and Vimeo and Netflix apps and stream that all to my TV with Apple TV
    And for recreation I am terribly addicted to Simpsons Tapped Out and Nyan Cat
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

for my Galaxy 3 phone , I use apps

swiftkey flow.
    android central
    weather channel
    TD bank
    CNET
    mobilesyrup
    the score
    sammobile premium
    papa john pizza
    facebook and FB messenger.

many google related apps.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post

I agree, but it's part of the process. Eventually there will be a shake out and only the ___?___ will survive. (Can't say "best", in this business as we've all seen great products fail due to bad mgmt, take overs, or whatever. Like Gresham's Law, of bad money driving out good..., sometimes the only the crappiest survives.)

Personally I'm interested in the most creative apps but there are loads of totally practical apps too.

Interesting... Good to see repurposing vs. landfilling.

Peace of Mind
    Presence App Turns Old Smartphone or Tablet Into Wifi Video Surveillance

How it works

Presence turns your spare, unused, or out of date smart phones or tablets into wireless video monitors. How? Just plug one into a power source, prop it up in a room you may want to keep an eye on and connect Presence to the available Wi-Fi network. The app uses the camera built in to the phone or tablet as a surveillance camera. From there, you use the Presence app on another phone to remotely access the video feed. You can watch what’s going on in your RV..."

http://www.rvandresort.com/peace-of-mind/

My old smart phone now lives in the car as the music provider. Old tablets have been passed down to the kids as well as an old slider phone they use for texting.

I was looking at my list of apps from two years ago and how it's changed.

I still use Facebook and Tweetbot but Foursquare became Swarm, which I do use, and I stopped using Path completely.

Reading and listening: All still pretty much the same however Degrees was discontinued so I'm without a decent Canadian weather app for the time being. I also listen to a lot more Audible now.

GPS/location: Mostly Apple and Google Maps now. I never drove enough to justify Waze.

Information/Files: Evernote, Dropbox, iCould Drive, Sync.com, Google Drive. Stopped using Simplenote in favour of Apple's Notes app as iCloud became more robust.

Productivity: Much the same but I don't use Things anymore. It's a great app but I'm frankly not diligent enough for it. One major addition has been Slack which we use at work for all our departmental communications now. And I use Fantasical for a calendar.

Tablet changes: Paper by 53 on the iPad Pro for notetaking, sketching, etc. Comixology for comic reading, Soulver for math, Excel for some spreadsheets.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

For me I use Here Maps, has a great offline mode perfect for using in the states or in the mountains where you have no cell coverage. Google Maps offline mode is okay, but Here does it better. Unfortunately, searching and setting destinations is more cumbersome than it should be.

Out of Milk, great app for syncing family shopping lists, solves the problem where you either get 2 of something or none of something.

SurveyMonkey study finds social media apps ruled mobile in first half of 2016 | TechCrunch

https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/28/su...-half-of-2016/

Anyone have any great offline apps?

Also mention of Here offline maps in the comments. (See below)

Best offline Android apps: helping you survive without the internet - AndroidPIT

https://www.androidpit.com/best-offline-android-apps
    Last edited by KC; 30-07-2016 at 09:14 AM.

For offline maps I've been using http://maps.me for a couple years, as I travelled through the US (mostly in Texas and California) and then back home. Maps get regular updates, it's not ad-riddled, and easy to use.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

App related???

My laptop was acting possessed the last couple times I've used it with the cursor moving around, the screen zooming in and out, a new folder screen opening up and closing, etc. Impossible to type or even click on the Apple icon.

So I started poking around wondering if my daughter did something- which was unlikely. Anyway, I found that Dropbox and Magnet were both listed as approved in the Accessibility settings under Security and Privacy. "Allow apps below to control your computer".

So Googled and found this article below. Rather interesting. Maybe a coincidence but deleted both of these apps and now the laptop is back to working great.

Interesting comment stream:

Dropbox Responds to Mac 'Security Risk' Accusations [Updated] - Mac Rumors

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/12...k-accusations/