Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Support for Kerry Diotte to run for Mayor growing! - revised thread

Exclamation Support for Kerry Diotte to run for Mayor growing! - revised thread

Are you tired of annual tax increases, crumbling infrastructure and out of control spending by the Current Mayor and City Council? Of all the voices on council, Kerry's seems to be the most active in asking the hard questions, and looking out for taxpayer interests. I decided to set up a website to show Kerry that he has support from the community to make a run for the Mayor of Edmonton! With all of the recent City Council decisions, it is clear that we need a change in Mayor, Council and how the City of Edmonton is run. Please go to www.draftdiotte.ca and show Kerry that you would support him. Share this with your friends here, on FaceBook and Twitter. Lets show Kerry our support!

http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/62...o-mayors-race/
    Last edited by Admin; 18-04-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: new thread. URL edited to reflect a direct link to http://www.draftdiotte.ca

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

God help us if this oaf is our next mayor, anyone but him please.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by koxamitny View Post
    are you tired of annual tax increases, crumbling infrastructure and out of control spending by the current mayor and city council? Of all the voices on council, kerry's seems to be the most active in asking the hard questions, and looking out for taxpayer interests. I decided to set up a website to show kerry that he has support from the community to make a run for the mayor of edmonton! With all of the recent city council decisions, it is clear that we need a change in mayor, council and how the city of edmonton is run. Please go to www.draftdiotte.ca and show kerry that you would support him. Share this with your friends here, on facebook and twitter. Lets show kerry our support!

hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I don't support Him at all....

Default Re: Complaining about Taxes

I'm confused. If this candidate is complaining about poor infrastructure and ballooning debt, shouldn't they be campaigning around the idea of increasing taxes, and improving efficiency?

Bad infrastructure + low income to fix it or improve it(IE taxes) = WORSE infrastructure.

Why is it that people seem to think that decreasing revenue aimed towards necessary services or infrastructure will somehow improve the quality of those services/infrastructure?

Rant:
    I'm getting really tired of people in this city and province complaining about taxes. Alberta is one of the lowest taxed jurisdictions in north america, Edmonton has a very decent showing across canada.

Guess what, Taxes buy civilization. You like Police? Firefighters? Schools? Roads? Well guess what funds them. Is there room for improvement? of course, I have never seen any large enterprise where things can't be improved. old outdated programs to phase out and new better programs to bring in. Large investments to spur more growth and increase the quality of living. Funding to reduce dependance on single sources of income (hint hint province).

Anybody who campaigns regarding taxes had better be able to show a clear plan of programs or infrastructure that is no longer needed, and that the replacement will be cheaper and equivalent in quality.

Mr. Diotte is not a bad guy, but his simplistic approaches to complex issues continue to frustrate me. He will appeal to the 'good enough' crowd.

No, no and no.

A less entertaining version of Rob Ford is just what this city needs.

It is a scary thought alright , but what is even scarier is that alot of people will vote for him not knowing any better !!!

The new Mike Nickel?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Nope. While I think Diotte has been a better councillor than I expected I think he'd make a horrible mayor. I don't see him as a leader capable of working with a council of diverse opinions.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

C2E Continued Contributor

No thanks.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

Paul, I would have to agree. In order to be a successful mayor you need the ability to build consensus amongst your peers. I don't think that is one of his strong attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by KOxamitny View Post
    Are you tired of annual tax increases, crumbling infrastructure and out of control spending by the Current Mayor and City Council? Of all the voices on council, Kerry's seems to be the most active in asking the hard questions, and looking out for taxpayer interests. I decided to set up a website to show Kerry that he has support from the community to make a run for the Mayor of Edmonton! With all of the recent City Council decisions, it is clear that we need a change in Mayor, Council and how the City of Edmonton is run. Please go to www.draftdiotte.ca and show Kerry that you would support him. Share this with your friends here, on FaceBook and Twitter. Lets show Kerry our support!

Please, in very clear terms, explain his sniff-tested policies that will lower taxes while fixing crumbling infrastructure? Be specific: which programs or planned capital expenditures will be cut, how much money will that save, and how will that then be split to both reduce taxes and repair infrastructure. How much infrastructure will that fix? How much will it lower my taxes? Don't tell me dollars. If Diotte plans to scrap a new park, how many and which roads will be rebuilt? If the arena is scrapped, how much LRT does that buy? Will he scrap LRT expansion to buy more roads?

I suspect he has no answers to any of this and will simply rile up seniors and low IQ/uneducated supporters who crave feel-good sound bites.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I hate to interrupt this latest “love fest”…

This is not a comment on the mayoral opportunity or the qualifications of the potential candidate mentioned here…but…

I will say this in support of Kerry. I believe in engaging people directly when I have a concern, and I have recently engaged his office. My phone calls were returned immediately, my e-mails answered in detail, and my concerns listened to.

I will say that what he has said to me in private, was exactly what was said and how he acts in public. I sincerely appreciate that.

He is one of 2 people on council to outright express support for C2E, and outright look for ways to save it. Mayor Mandel and his office is the other. You can actually thank his office as well as the Mayor's office for encouraging me to keep this site up as it was about to be taken down - as I am more than fed up with being treated like a criminal or having my character anonymously assassinated by some of the very organizations that chastise me for having anonymity here on C2E. I don’t appreciate being vilified because I dare try to make something Edmonton…

I won’t go into that rant here, but needless to say, I am very disenchanted on a lot of other fronts – so Kerry’s candor has been refreshing.

Whether or not I agree with the politics, at least I have been able to sit down, have a frank discussion, and know that when I leave it is the same conversation outside as it is inside.

…and lately…that is very rare.

Just my 2 cents.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

Whats next Caterina for premier???

No I would not support Diotte.

Why doesn't he run for the Department of Transportation? I'd also prefer to be called a citizen of Edmonton rather than a source of municipal income.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ2007 View Post
    Mr. Diotte is not a bad guy, but his simplistic approaches to complex issues continue to frustrate me. He will appeal to the 'good enough' crowd.

No, no and no.
    Pretty much sums it up. I see him in 3rd place at most in the upcoming election.
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

I like the role that Kerry Diotte plays as a member of city council... but as mayor I would have some strong concerns.

This board isnt the best place for Mr Diotte fan club
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

I'd like to see him run for Mayor just to keep him off council.

Someone also needs to point out his voting record on the arena deal... it hasn't exactly been in opposition.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Super Addict

If Diotte gets in, which he has every chance of doing, it will be in no small part down to the present incumbent's obsession with what the vast majority of voters consider to be excessive and unnecessary vanity projects. To some degree it could be said that Mandel has paved the way for Diotte.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    If Diotte gets in, which he has every chance of doing, it will be in no small part down to the present incumbent's obsession with what the vast majority of voters consider to be excessive and unnecessary vanity projects. To some degree it could be said that Mandel has paved the way for Diotte.
    Lets remember we have a weak mayor system.... Diotte is one vote...
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Lets remember we have a weak mayor system.... Diotte is one vote...
    Come election time there's every likelihood he's going to be joined by some new councilors running on a similar ticket.

Of all the voices on council, Kerry's seems to be the most active in asking the hard questions, and looking out for taxpayer interests.
    From what I have seen he mainly complains about other people's ideas but has few of his own. Don't confuse being able to point out things that are wrong with the ability to actually do something to fix them. I don't see KD as having that capability.

I may have to leave Canada if he becomes the mayor.

Kerry seems like he would micro manage the cities finances. That would only cause gridlock in the finance department. Nothing would get done.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E SME

Whether Kerry Diotte is elected as a councillor or a mayor, he will only have one vote on council.

If Diotte runs for mayor, I would like to know what his platform for the Capital Region will be, and what his relationship with the provincial government will be as well. He'll be in over his head when he realizes that Edmonton and Area could grow by another 100,000 people during the next term.

Any candidate who runs better be able to think 25-30 years ahead.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Diotte would run this city into the ground. If he is elected mayor it would be time to get out of Dodge!!

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I will not tolerate any more conversations on the previous link issue.

I have also copied over the previous posts that did not contain questionable accusations over to this new thread.

I have edited the link here to directly go to the site referenced.

Please discuss any campaign issues, policy issues, or other conversations directly suited to the potential campaign at hand.

This also applies to ANY OTHER CANDIDATE, announced or not.

This move, and copying of the posts, does not prevent any disciplinary action from being handed out resulting from actions in the removed thread .
    Ow

Thanks Admin, I have no idea why the link did that, and I certainly did not intend to raise the ire of fellow posters. Let the discussion continue.......

Addicted to C2E

No freaking way!!!!!! Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!1

If money grew on trees, low taxes would build infrastructure......... otherwise I don't see it happening!

If he can't see that low taxes are not a reality as a councillor, what makes him think it'll be any different as mayor?
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

His stance is too easy.
    Keep taxes low, and improve infrastructure.
    I mean it's awesome in theory. However it will never be a reality.
    It's also not a reality I want if it doesn't any of the amenities that make living in a city more enjoyable than a driven to work or the mall on smooth pavement.
    I choose to live in Edmonton, I don't have, part of why I do isn't the nice to haves... Which are still lacking imo.

He won't get my vote until he stops chasing the easy votes and slogans and brings some reality with vision

No way. I hope he's done completely after the next election.

C2E Super Addict

I assume Diotte and/or his supporters consider this forum a reliable proving-ground for ideas and policy - The more apoplectic the reaction of the drama queens here, the more likely they are to be ticking all the right boxes with the vast majority of actual voters.

highlander

Considering that most people here are reasonably happy with the guy who managed to get elected 3 consecutive times by all those real voters, I don't think that's gonna work.

And I'll agree with what I perceive as the majority both here and in real life: while basic infrastructure and cost control are both important, they are only a small part of what makes a city. While a councilor who focuses on those things may be fine, the mayor should have a vision of a great city. At least from the major planks of his platform, and from his public person Kerry's vision is not for a great City.

I don't know what his private vision is, but his public one looks like a work camp or a utility, and I would be very disappointed if he were elected..

I'm decidedly on the political left and the farthest thing from being a natural Diotte supporter. Yet, I found much of the 'draft Diotte' manifesto resonating pretty powerfully even with me.

This was my favourite line: "They can't fix the potholes, clear the snow off our streets, or get any big projects done on time and on budget. Instead they have grand, reckless plans to spend borrowed billions on lavish new cultural facilities, a massive new office tower to house the growing army of municipal employees, an endless wish list of new transit infrastructure, and, of course, a new downtown arena costing half a billion dollars where the only thing we'll own is the mortgage."

It doesn't matter who the next Mayor is. The spending and borrowing binge of the past decade is simply not sustainable.

Diotte thinks small

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    I'm decidedly on the political left and the farthest thing from being a natural Diotte supporter. Yet, I found much of the 'draft Diotte' manifesto resonating pretty powerfully even with me.

This was my favourite line: "They can't fix the potholes, clear the snow off our streets, or get any big projects done on time and on budget. Instead they have grand, reckless plans to spend borrowed billions on lavish new cultural facilities, a massive new office tower to house the growing army of municipal employees, an endless wish list of new transit infrastructure, and, of course, a new downtown arena costing half a billion dollars where the only thing we'll own is the mortgage."

It doesn't matter who the next Mayor is. The spending and borrowing binge of the past decade is simply not sustainable.
    Umm we are fixing the potholes... and have invested more in road refurbisment and rebuilding than any other council in the last 20+ years.... There is more to city council than making the city enjoyable for cars.

The new Office tower is not something we build and pay for.. Infact moving the city workers into one center will save money.

As for the arena.. we f'n own the thing. It's ours! We own the land, the building we own it all...

So if you think it is ok that a councilor/mayor to spread misinformation... than go ahead and vote for Kerry... I for one will not based solely on this fact.

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    Diotte thinks small
    He is trying to do what Rob Ford did...

Use urban issues as a wedge to promote support from suburban areas. Engaging in partisan politics will just result in a divided council... a return to the councils we had with Jan and Bill

highlander

No, He's nothing like Rob Ford, other than being generally right leaning, and somewhat populist.
    From everything I can see, Mr. Diotte is a gentleman. That means that he is reasoned and respectful, even if his vision is more small-time and short-term than I would like.

Rob Ford is not a gentleman.

^ i am sorry.. but he is a lot like Rob Ford... Using Wedge Issues of little importance to leverage certain areas of the city over others. Making untrue statements that he knows to be blatantly wrong and effectively to attack the gravy train.

Diotte is not a consensus maker and the divisive nature will result in the exact same thing happening here as what we see on Toronto city council. Divisive partisanship and the forming of political camps. Our muni gov't is not an opposition style setup.

After Years of no tax increases from Bill we had to play catch up... If Kerry REALLY cared he would run on a platform of lobbying the prov govt for DIFFERENT taxation options. Like the ability to tax hotel and rental cars 1-2%. A surcharge on veh registration, a 1% gas tax in the region. Things that other municipalities have and something we need in order to be competitive globally.

Our cities need better funding, they don't have it and Kerry is not the one to champion this.. as someone else put it he thinks small.

My critique of his policy is NOT reflective of him as a person... so the fact that he is a gentleman and Ford is not is redundant and irrelevant.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 19-04-2013 at 12:51 PM.

^ i am sorry.. but he is a lot like Rob Ford... Using Wedge Issues of little importance to leverage certain areas of the city over others. Making untrue statements that he knows to be blatantly wrong and effectively to attack the gravy train.

Diotte is not a consensus maker and the divisive nature will result in the exact same thing happening here as what we see on Toronto city council. Divisive partisanship and the forming of political camps. Our muni gov't is not an opposition style setup.

After Years of no tax increases from Bill we had to play catch up... If Kerry REALLY cared he would run on a platform of lobbying the prov govt for DIFFERENT taxation options. Like the ability to tax hotel and rental cars 1-2%. A surcharge on veh registration, a 1% gas tax in the region. Things that other municipalities have and something we need in order to be competitive globally.

Our cities need better funding, they don't have it and Kerry is not the one to champion this.. as someone else put it he thinks small.

My critique of his policy is NOT reflective of him as a person... so the fact that he is a gentleman and Ford is not is redundant and irrelevant.
    Agreed on Diotte, but the idea that we had years of no tax increases under Smith is false. For the years he was mayor we have:

1996 0.00
    1997 6.00
    1998 5.00
    1999 4.00
    2000 2.30
    2001 2.80
    2002 2.40
    2003 4.90
    2004 5.30 1% for infrastructure borrowing + 4.3% for operations

So some low increases but definitely not no increases. Interestingly he defeated Reimer, under whom we had three straight years of no tax increases.

Numbers from a previous thread where I got raw data from the City. I believe I still have the original spreadsheet somewhere as well.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post

Umm we are fixing the potholes... and have invested more in road refurbisment and rebuilding than any other council in the last 20+ years.... There is more to city council than making the city enjoyable for cars.

The new Office tower is not something we build and pay for.. Infact moving the city workers into one center will save money.

As for the arena.. we f'n own the thing. It's ours! We own the land, the building we own it all...

So if you think it is ok that a councilor/mayor to spread misinformation... than go ahead and vote for Kerry... I for one will not based solely on this fact.
    Not saying I'm voting for Diotte, only that much of the political messaging of the draft Diotte manifesto resonated with me - a dyed in the wool federal and provincial NDPer.

I strongly admire and support the courageous stands and leadership Mandel has taken on human rights issues like LGBT equality rights and social issues like ending homelessness and crime prevention.

Yet my major policy disagreements with the current Mayor and most incumbent Councillors are piling up. These include:
    *proposing to spend billions on a slow street car system rather than proper rapid transit,
    *despite the feel good rhetoric, taking no meaningful action to curb urban sprawl, and in fact, proposing to annex thousands of more hectares of valuable farmland,
    *the unbelievably lopsided DT Arena deal, and
    *taking a City that was almost debt free and racking up a massive multi-billion dollar debt in just 9 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post

Agreed on Diotte, but the idea that we had years of no tax increases under Smith is false. For the years he was mayor we have:

1996 0.00
    1997 6.00
    1998 5.00
    1999 4.00
    2000 2.30
    2001 2.80
    2002 2.40
    2003 4.90
    2004 5.30 1% for infrastructure borrowing + 4.3% for operations

So some low increases but definitely not no increases. Interestingly he defeated Reimer, under whom we had three straight years of no tax increases.

Numbers from a previous thread where I got raw data from the City. I believe I still have the original spreadsheet somewhere as well.
    Thanks for the Info... I moved here in 1997 so I must remember the public discussing the past 0% increases.... At the time I was 18 so not paying to much attention to the issue.

Absolutely Unequivocally Positively NOT.

This man is not qualified. For the love of God...he worked for the Edmonton Sun!!!!....and they turfed him lol. Its gotta be bad if this happened.

Just listen how he rationalizes and problem solves....just listen carefully when he speaks.

I cannot support him at all because of his views about this city, so he must stick to his own seat where he is now at.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

To bad Nisku doesn't have a Mayor he would be good there with that great infrastructure.

as for me, Krushell all the way for Mayor's chair.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Default I hear you

Much appreciated, Richard.

I respect all opinions and love a good debate on issues. This is the kind of forum offered here for no City investment.

It's all about gathering opinions and trying to find compromise.

C2E does that very well and I applaud this site that runs on a shoe-string with no City money in it.

If people have issues they want to bring up, I welcome their ideas. Go to kerrydiotte.com and wade into my discussions there, or, wade into it here.

There's nothing better than an open, frank and productive discussion.

At times we will have to agree to disagree, but that healthy in a democracy, no?

-Kerry Diotte

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I hate to interrupt this latest “love fest”…

This is not a comment on the mayoral opportunity or the qualifications of the potential candidate mentioned here…but…

I will say this in support of Kerry. I believe in engaging people directly when I have a concern, and I have recently engaged his office. My phone calls were returned immediately, my e-mails answered in detail, and my concerns listened to.

I will say that what he has said to me in private, was exactly what was said and how he acts in public. I sincerely appreciate that.

He is one of 2 people on council to outright express support for C2E, and outright look for ways to save it. Mayor Mandel and his office is the other. You can actually thank his office as well as the Mayor's office for encouraging me to keep this site up as it was about to be taken down - as I am more than fed up with being treated like a criminal or having my character anonymously assassinated by some of the very organizations that chastise me for having anonymity here on C2E. I don’t appreciate being vilified because I dare try to make something Edmonton…

I won’t go into that rant here, but needless to say, I am very disenchanted on a lot of other fronts – so Kerry’s candor has been refreshing.

Whether or not I agree with the politics, at least I have been able to sit down, have a frank discussion, and know that when I leave it is the same conversation outside as it is inside.

…and lately…that is very rare.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree. She has to work on her look though. Not to professional!! Put some effort into you!!! She is qualified..articulate and has the experience. But above all...she gets it.

Here is a great example of classic Kerry... His latest tweet....

Cool-looking new #yeg LRT station near Kingsway Mall. But is roof design right for a snowy winter city? Comments? pic.twitter.com/I3EOvgZFBp

Instead of using his position to get the information about hos snow collection is mitigated or dealt with he posts a picture and insights partisan responses and plays of the peoples ignorance.

Kerry stop acting like the city is doing everything wrong.... because it's not. The younger generation does not react well to this negative style campaigning. We grew up on co operation, collaboration and positivity.... If you want the angry senior vote you won't find it on twitter.

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 21-04-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Here is a great example of classic Kerry... His latest tweet....

Cool-looking new #yeg LRT station near Kingsway Mall. But is roof design right for a snowy winter city? Comments? pic.twitter.com/I3EOvgZFBp

Instead of using his position to get the information about hos snow collection is mitigated or dealt with he posts a picture and insights partisan responses and plays of the peoples ignorance.

Kerry stop acting like the city is doing everything wrong.... because it's not. The younger generation does not react well to this negative style campaigning. We grew up on co operation, collaboration and positivity
    EDP really?

co operation, collaboration and positivity
    Did you read what you wrote?

Have you read most of the posts on this forum?

You criticize Councilor Diotte for not co operating, collaborating and being negative yet I do not see another single Councilor choosing to openly engage on this forum, make comment or invite comment.

Other than the media (and I do not base any decisions I make on only what I see in the media) I have no real information on Mr. Diotte's positions and need to do a whole bunch of homework before deciding if I will support should he make a run for Mayor. As Councilor Diotte is not in my Ward I couldn't vote for him as a Councilor.

But you say you are part of a generation that:
    grew up on co operation, collaboration and positivity
    I am sorry but I am certainly not seeing it in your above post.

Might want to try a different approach.

In my highly biased personal opinion

^ Well I have listened to Kerry numerous times during council, you may wish to do the same...Kerry has all the access to the information needed to answer his own question. Posting things in ways to try to embarrass administration is wrong. This is what Ford tried to do and it bit him in the ***.

o and PS.... This not the first inverted V roof I have seen in this climate.

In Hinduism there are two very powerful forces. The creator and the destroyer... Both have a place but lets not destroy the forward momentum Edmonton is gaining JUST yet... we have barely begun.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 22-04-2013 at 12:42 PM.

One last comment before i derail this thread

o and PS.... This not the first inverted V roof I have seen in this climate.
    I am not commenting on V Roofs or the specific policies.

What concerns me is we FINALLY have a Councilor that is openly engaging the folks on this forum and we are not coming across as very welcoming (you can be welcoming and criticize) or inviting so how can we (as a forum) expect others to follow and engage openly?

I have no issue in calling to account anyone that chooses to post on the forum, but if we expect to be taken seriously we need to act as we expect others to act to attract more to engage.

My 2 bits on the "Big picture"

My only issue with Diotte's style of engaging the public is that he doesn't appear to ever take a stand. Instead he just asks leading questions. This way he can't be held accountable for criticizing the decisions of others, because he's just "gauging the public will" or whatever.

This is just from what I've seen in his newsletter and from various newspaper quotes.

If you're going to be anti-whatever, just say you're against it.

That's just my view on it though.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    What concerns me is we FINALLY have a Councilor that is openly engaging the folks on this forum and we are not coming across as very welcoming (you can be welcoming and criticize) or inviting so how can we (as a forum) expect others to follow and engage openly?

I have no issue in calling to account anyone that chooses to post on the forum, but if we expect to be taken seriously we need to act as we expect others to act to attract more to engage.

My 2 bits on the "Big picture"

But that's indicative of this forum in general don't you think?... If it's someone/something "the collective" are in favor of, the fawning is almost vomit inducing. Yet when it's not, the unwritten rule tends to be - Make them feel so uncomfortable and unwelcome that they soon cease to contribute.

In my highly scientific and empirically tested opinion.

Edit: As an example, watch the hazing the bloke below is about to get.
    Last edited by expat; 22-04-2013 at 03:49 PM.

First One is Always Free

I pay quite a bit of attention to all levels of politics as a hard working tax payer. I remember moving to Edmonton in 2001 when Bill Smith was mayor and shocked at the type of person he was with how much he put his foot in his mouth. Cheerleader yes... embarrassment, most definitely. Then Mandel was elected and well, for the first term I found him refreshing. By the end of his second, I was looking for change, impressed that Mandel recognized that perhaps someone in that position shouldn't run for more than 2 terms and this is also where, in my opinion, that his lies started.

As a person who has tried to engage my own Ward 4 Councillor and City Council as a whole on issues that concern me and my community, Diotte is the ONLY one who continually actively listens and that speaks volumes for me.

All you naysayers may have your personal agendas to derail any hope that Diotte would run by stating that he has small ideas, no vision, and is "just a former Edmonton Sun journalist" but do you really know? You can speculate all you want but until you have a conversation with the man himself, who readily makes himself available to the general public, assuming gets you no where.

Kerry stands for fiscal responsibility. Holding the line on taxes doesn't mean reducing income. It means taking the income you have and allocating it properly taking care of essential services and infrastructure first before luxury projects. Responsibility also means not stealing from MSI funds to build an arena.

While we are on the topic of the arena, I am not against it and neither is Diotte. I have been fortunate to sit down with him and ask questions on the tough issues like this. The DT arena has always been about what is fair for the city. Someone posted here earlier that we will own the arena and the lands and that is true. So then why is it OK that Katz will get all the revenue from a building we own? This deal is lopsided completely in favor for Katz and whoever doesn't see that, simply needs to take a class in basic accounting and finance. There were 5 Councillors that stood up against stealing money from the MSI, not just Diotte and a couple of them are rumored to run for mayor so where are the attacks on them? By the way, Mandel was very clear in a Council meeting that this deal would absolutely not go through until all the money is accounted for but voted to push on without all the money accounted for.

The whole "Mandel is just one vote" is as ridiculous as everyone who is thinks Krushell would be a great mayor. She is articulate? Are you kidding me? If you pay attention, and not even close attention, she does nothing but regurgitate everything Mandel says. She has no original thought. Further to that, Mandel pulls the puppet strings of many Councillors to further his agenda of needing a legacy project before he will step down at the cost of the taxpayers. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on the topic, most of his legacy projects have fallen through. One prime example, the failed Expo bid which resulted in a great bridge burning with the Feds, 2 year old tantrum on the 6pm news.

Anyway, I've ranted enough. Just tired of people making assumptions without actually asking the questions directly to the person they are slamming for no reason. I have sat down with Mandel as well, in his office and all I will say is the tantrum side of him we see when he doesn't get his way is the true side of him. He cares only about his agenda now, not how he used to be which was at one time what is best for Edmonton.

Vote for change. We desperately need it.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Thanks for your input Mrs. Diotte

If you vote for change in that ward, wouldn't that mean not voting for Diotte????

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    My only issue with Diotte's style of engaging the public is that he doesn't appear to ever take a stand. Instead he just asks leading questions.
    That's true. I see a lot of button pushing, but few solutions being offered.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    My only issue with Diotte's style of engaging the public is that he doesn't appear to ever take a stand. Instead he just asks leading questions.
    That's true. I see a lot of button pushing, but few solutions being offered.
    It's too bad he hasn't realized he's no longer working for the Sun. Kerry, in your position, you are supposed to come up with solutions... your not longer employed as the town crier.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    ^ Thanks for your input Mrs. Diotte

If you vote for change in that ward, wouldn't that mean not voting for Diotte????
    Aside from the fact that I clearly stated I live in Ward 4, your assumption and accusation is completely ignorant. Because I have actually taken the time to ask several Councilors direct questions (not just Diotte and Mandel), you insinuate that I am Mrs. Diotte? Aren't you clever.

At least I have based my opinions on actual information and conversations with Council, not assumptions thrown out by the media.
    Last edited by trmpt; 22-04-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trmpt View Post
    While we are on the topic of the arena, I am not against it and neither is Diotte. I have been fortunate to sit down with him and ask questions on the tough issues like this. The DT arena has always been about what is fair for the city. Someone posted here earlier that we will own the arena and the lands and that is true. So then why is it OK that Katz will get all the revenue from a building we own?
    Um If i go out a rent a retail space I get to keep the revenue from the space that I rent.

NOW... in places like malls, after a certain dollar figure is reached, the mall sometimes gets a percentage of your revenue. That is how malls operate, but Malls also advertise on behalf of their tenants and undertakes activities to drive traffic so it's supposed to be a give and take situation. In free standing store arrangements often there are common area fees. These pay for your parking spots etc.

Katz making money isn't a bad thing (in fact it's good).. and this is a building we own. While people like you are busy focusing on what Katz gets I am busy focusing on what I get.. and by I.. I mean the city. Iron clad location agreement, New arena, Investment into an area of DT that is a wasteland that includes a run down bus depot and gross casino. We get a means to transform our DT, not just the Arena district but also the CRL. This is all apart from civic pride and other touchy feely things that are hard to quantify.

Lets not also forget that if we do nothing.. we will need to renovate Rexall... (That will still cost and we get no benefit of surrounding development) and we will still be providing the current annual multi million dollar subsidy to Northlands/Oilers for rexall.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 22-04-2013 at 04:29 PM.

wow, this new poster reeks of a paid spokesperson.

It would be nice if Mr Diotte could actually come up with his own stance, rather than polling the public to see whats popular, and then use that as his platform.

What exactly does Mr Diotte stand for? Nobody knows... He leaves as many questions as he asks, never having a solution himself for the questions he asks.

Has Kerry officially thrown his hat into the mayoral race?
    Last edited by Medwards; 22-04-2013 at 04:22 PM.

People forget the Mr. Diotte only has one vote, as does the current mayor and other councillors.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

First One is Always Free

Not a paid spokes person, just never heard of this site before it was pointed out to me. I have been "lurking" for a couple weeks and felt like tossing in my opinion. But nice of you all to be so welcoming and open and accepting to other points of view.

Medwards - Last time I checked, Council is paid to do a job on behalf of the constituents, not a personal agenda - that goes for every level of government. So the simply fact that he engages the public to figure out what they want, is not a bad thing. It is in my opinion, exactly what they should be doing. And before you jump on me, I will clarify, not on every topic. The big ticket items such as where do you want your tax dollars spent - essential services or an arena - is a fair poll to ask as well as do you want the city center airport closed.

EDP - the rent thing is interesting. Because although in theory you are right, have you looked at the "rent" agreement part of this master agreement? Coupled in with the fact that we will then pay Katz a couple million a year for 10 years just to advertise the word Edmonton, Katz really isn't paying that much. There certainly is no "if we make a certain profit, you will get a percentage of it" part in the rent clause. For the record, Katz's "rent" is essentially the money he said he would throw in up front which ended up now being over 35 years and called rent. That isn't rent no matter what way you look at it.

As for revitalizing downtown, that can go either way. Nothing on that front is for certain. You can't say it is guaranteed, I can't say it isn't. But from my understanding, Rexall was built where it was to revitalize that area and that didn't work out so well. With that said, you can actually get to and from Rexall by LRT or personal vehicle with ease, unlike downtown.

Anyway, this thread isn't a debate on the arena so I will respect that going forward.

trmpt - are you suggesting that other Councillors or even the mayor doesn't engage the public?

Maybe you think its a good idea that councillor diotte has setup his own personal pothole contest line... rather than using 311? That was certainly a good way to engage the public... its also a good way to get people to complain directly to him, rather then using the proper process

You can't go downtown by car or LRT with ease but yet, rexall place, on the same LRT line as downtown... ? okay...

First One is Always Free

I am suggesting that they don't engage the public nearly as much in a effective way. Mine certainly doesn't.

Who cares that Diotte set up a pothole contest. As I understand the contest, the potholes were still reported or at the very least had attention brought to how bad the situation really is.

As for getting in and out of downtown? I stand by my statement from the days I worked downtown. Funny how it takes me less time to get to the other side of the city to my office from my house than it did to get in and out of downtown in rush hour, even before the newer part of the Henday was opened. Most games start around rush hour or at the tail end. Not everyone is going to take the LRT to the games and not everyone who attends works downtown. So yes, there are foreseeable realistic issues there.

Expat

If it's someone/something "the collective" are in favor of, the fawning is almost vomit inducing.
    ROFLMAF...Darn near blew coffee out my nose

Thanks

To everyone else on the thread....

Mr. Diotte seems to be at least attempting to engage on this thread, rather than snipe why not actually try directing questions to him?

I don't know if he will reply or if the resoundingly warm welcome has turned him off (as it has with others both political and not) but here's your chance.

Why not make use of it?

^ Reaching out via Connect to Edmonton does not place any one candidate higher on my personal ranking system. I can phone up and talk to my councilor at any time... I have have even met with her on a few occasions. THAT is what sways my vote.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 22-04-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    People forget the Mr. Diotte only has one vote, as does the current mayor and other councillors.
    I keep saying that too!!

EDP - the rent thing is interesting. Because although in theory you are right, have you looked at the "rent" agreement part of this master agreement? Coupled in with the fact that we will then pay Katz a couple million a year for 10 years just to advertise the word Edmonton, Katz really isn't paying that much. There certainly is no "if we make a certain profit, you will get a percentage of it" part in the rent clause. For the record, Katz's "rent" is essentially the money he said he would throw in up front which ended up now being over 35 years and called rent. That isn't rent no matter what way you look at it.
    Katz will pay a lease rate that will Equal to 100 Million + the cost of borrowing, over the term of the agreement. The city will also collect some property tax revenue. to the tune of 250,000 a year. If you choose to ignore the fact that this is a lease agreement than so be it..

if the city of Edmonton is to purchase Advertising there is a cost to that... This portion of the agreement is the part I like least.. but it's done. Lets face it Edmonton needs to advertise better. So I will reserve judgement until I see what we get for our money. Organizations like the Calgary Stampede have received oodles of money from the city over the year. Strategic partnerships can be VERY beneficial.

What does this have to do with Kerry... again time after time I see him pushing wedge issues that are often based on incomplete data or misinformation. I get no sense of vision. Again he is employing a bunch of Rob Ford Tactics. A divided council will be disastrous for this city. We need strong leadership with someone who has a Vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    Expat

If it's someone/something "the collective" are in favor of, the fawning is almost vomit inducing.
    ROFLMAF...Darn near blew coffee out my nose

Thanks

To everyone else on the thread....

Mr. Diotte seems to be at least attempting to engage on this thread, rather than snipe why not actually try directing questions to him?

I don't know if he will reply or if the resoundingly warm welcome has turned him off (as it has with others both political and not) but here's your chance.

Why not make use of it?

TH, you seem to think that we dont offer a warm welcome. I certainly don't get a warm welcome as any councillor or mayor when I read the comment section of the journal or sun. I'm not really sure what your point is? Some of us, including yourself, come off as standoffish? Hostile? Is that your point? If so, welcome to the real world. If your a public figure, expect to be criticized. Can't take the heat? Stay out of the kitchen.

As for engaging, I found our current mayor very engaging. The mayor has frequently responded to emails I've sent him in a timely matter, the mayor has appeared numerous times as himself on C2E ( and not one of his staffers, like Diotte). The mayor has a monthly call-in show on CBC Edmonton AM... and many other avenues. As for Councillor Diotte -- I'm still waiting responses to emails I've sent him on a few different issues.... Still waiting.

Medwards
    TH, you seem to think that we dont offer a warm welcome.
    No I don't, when I started back a few years ago on this forum seems someone always took the time to give a welcome of some kind...then go after what you had to say.

Now I often think this is an ongoing attack ad.

I'm not really sure what your point is?
    Point is there are often complaints (from those on the forum) we need more guest columnists, more open forums with public figures and that we (as a forum) are not taken seriously...little wonder.

If those are things we seriously want to happen then we need to behave as adults.
    Being reasonable is not a fault and yes call out people on their comments if you don't agree...fair game.

Can't take the heat? Stay out of the kitchen.
    Well it appears that tactic is working as we can see through the lack of political and public figures engaging the forum.

Medwards/EDP

My point was to take advantage of an opportunity, not sway your opinion.

An opportunity lost is an opportunity wasted and in my opinion a loss to C2E and it's credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Diotte View Post
    Much appreciated, Richard.

I respect all opinions and love a good debate on issues. This is the kind of forum offered here for no City investment.

It's all about gathering opinions and trying to find compromise.

C2E does that very well and I applaud this site that runs on a shoe-string with no City money in it.

If people have issues they want to bring up, I welcome their ideas. Go to kerrydiotte.com and wade into my discussions there, or, wade into it here.

There's nothing better than an open, frank and productive discussion.

At times we will have to agree to disagree, but that healthy in a democracy, no?

-Kerry Diotte

Kerry we need leaders who will look beyond popular political tactics and wedge issues and make hard decisions.

Its great your a vocal opponent for a "better arena deal" but better for what, whom. We need an arena deal that ensures both sides are sustainable/profitable. I don't see the you being that balanced approach, or one who can bridge opinions and bring people together.

I think Kerry is the voice of the people of Edmonton who do not want an arena that may cost them extra taxes. He's the voice of people who do not want vanity projects costing millions of dollars when they see roads erroding, services downsized, public programs cancelled or diminished. Let's face it, most people on this thread want the arena to be built come hell or high water. On the other side of the coin there are a lot that do not want it built. They do feel it is a vanity project. They do feel they will end up paying big time for something they may not even use. I'm not one of them but, let's face it, they are intitled to be listened too, they should have a voice, they should have someone looking out for them and if Kerry is that person, well that's the way it rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I think Kerry is the voice of the people of Edmonton who do not want an arena that may cost them extra taxes. He's the voice of people who do not want vanity projects costing millions of dollars when they see roads erroding, services downsized, public programs cancelled or diminished. Let's face it, most people on this thread want the arena to be built come hell or high water. On the other side of the coin there are a lot that do not want it built. They do feel it is a vanity project. They do feel they will end up paying big time for something they may not even use. I'm not one of them but, let's face it, they are intitled to be listened too, they should have a voice, they should have someone looking out for them and if Kerry is that person, well that's the way it rolls.
    I'm not necessarily for the arena, but I believe Kerry represents a lot of what's wrong with this city. It's penny wise, pound foolish thinking that has created a city many people wouldn't want to live in. I looked at his web site, and in addition to the arena there's a lot of talk of potholes and something about the new LRT bridge being too expensive. We have enough second-rate or worse infrastructure in this city. It's about time someone took pride in Edmonton.

And if he really cares about financial sustainability, why don't I hear him talking about sprawl? This is a bigger threat to the city's financial health than any arena.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Not a paid spokes person, just never heard of this site before it was pointed out to me. I have been "lurking" for a couple weeks and felt like tossing in my opinion. But nice of you all to be so welcoming and open and accepting to other points of view.

I apologize for the lack of a reception remotely bordering on warm. Please, I do hope you stay and contribute. Contrary to your introduction, this forum was designed to engage all opinions.

Posters, the behaviour of many of you as of late is embarrassing. I will address this in another post.
    Ow

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I apologize for the lack of a reception remotely bordering on warm. Please, I do hope you stay and contribute. Contrary to your introduction, this forum was designed to engage all opinions.

Posters, the behaviour of many of you as of late is embarrassing. I will address this in another post.
    Thank you. I'll keep that in mind. A few unfounded false accusations of who I am doesn't scare me.

Kerry Diotte's leaked mayoral campaign photos?

http://daveberta.ca/2013/04/kerry-diotte-mayor/

C2E Long Term Contributor

I hear real estate prices are dropping in Vancouver. Time to start looking.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    You may want to check who made some of the first motions that got this all started.. This being the arena

Kerry is going after this from a marketing standpoint pure and simple. He has a brand, his name, and it's well liked by sun readers... As they say know your audience.

Protest parties, or platforms rarely have positive outcomes. I like Kerry but not as mayor... I don't agree that he could bring together the current council if most if them re run and are elected

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Kerry Diotte's leaked mayoral campaign photos?

http://daveberta.ca/2013/04/kerry-diotte-mayor/
    I wouldn't jump to conclusions. If you notice the picture in the background, there are a few pictures of Diotte and other people on Boland's page of standing in front of this picture of the Edmonton skyline. From what I understand, per a post on Diotte's page quite awhile ago, that Boland print is currently hanging in Diotte's office. So this could be absolutely nothing as well.

If they are campaign pictures, they could also be for a ward 11 campaign. I know there are a lot of people out who want to see him run for the big chair though, some because they believe in him and some because they want to see him lose and be off council. The second opinion, in my opinion is sad. There is no one else who is encouraging fiscal responsibility and trimming of the fat like Diotte does. Spending needs to get under control, essential services needs to be dealt with better then perhaps projects like the arena wouldn't be such a divisive uproar.

I'll simply wait and see if he ever lays out a platform, or if his whole campaign is based on asking us if we hate potholes and vague suggestions that we could be doing things better.

I bet he doesn't have a single idea.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'm not for Diotte and have no intention of being for Diotte. But that's not the point. Here's what I really want to say:

Anyone who revels in a pre-campaign discussion entitled "Support for [me] to run for Mayor growing!" -- complete with exclamation point -- is inviting attacks, not merely political ones, but questions as to personal suitability for office as well.

Kerry Diotte and his handlers might do well to think about that, hard.

Sorry to burst your bubble AShetson (if that’s who you really are), but the only thing I am reveling in is the support I am getting on my website for Kerry to consider running for the mayors chair. For you to suggest that Kerry is using my good name to pre-campaign is insulting to me personally. I'm just one guy trying to show Kerry that there is support for him to run for mayor. Why? I have had dealings with Kerry in the past and have had issues quickly resolved because of him. He has consistently demonstrated he cares about taxpayers, tax dollars, and always asks the tough questions - that's why. How dare you suppose that an individual, me in this case, cannot exercise their right in a free and democratic country to show, and canvas support for whomever I see fit!

I have sat back and read all posts since I set this forum up. I have read posts for and against, where both were articulated clearly and concisely. Informed opinions are open to civil debate and sometimes consensus – but are always respectful. I have been disgusted by some posts where the authors have crossed the line of debate, and contributed nothing more than insults and vitriol to the discussion. It is usually un-informed opinion that is most harshly defended by such attacks. The “Administrator” has had to step in twice on this forum, which confirms the behavior of some posters has not been consistent with the intent of a “forum of discussion”. For you to suggest that attacking people personally is justified because they have a differing opinion, even if your misguided justification is that I am Kerry, demonstrates a lot to me and other readers of this forum.

You don’t like Kerry, that’s fine – that’s your opinion. Openly promoting personal attacks is not fine. Anyhow, while you’re stewing about imaginary conspiracy theories, I will continue to exercise my rights and show Mr. Diotte that there is support for him to run for mayor. He may, he may not - that’s his decision to make. My opinion of him will not change either way.

Oh, and please visit www.draftdiotte.ca!

Koxamitny

^Someone needs to learn the word thread and not call it a forum because you sir did not make this forum you made this THREAD that is on the forum that the ADMIN made not you and i dont see asheten attacking anyone he is voicing his opinion on the subject at hand here.
    Last edited by Magnoblade; 30-04-2013 at 05:48 PM.

First One is Always Free

Kerry stop acting like the city is doing everything wrong.... because it's not. The younger generation does not react well to this negative style campaigning. We grew up on co operation, collaboration and positivity.... If you want the angry senior vote you won't find it on twitter.

I'm guessing you're one of the angry seniors?
    “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”
    ― Jim Elliot

You are absolutely correct, and I stand corrected. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by darkmagnoblade View Post
    ^Someone needs to learn the word thread and not call it a forum because you sir did not make this forum you made this THREAD that is on the forum that the ADMIN made not you and i dont see asheten attacking anyone he is voicing his opinion on the subject at hand here.
    Accusing me of being someone I'm not is not an opinion. A direct accusation is an attack. And my apologies to the board for mixing up my thread \ forum terminology. I'm pretty new at this communicating by threads on a forum stuff. LOL Anyhow, let's keep it civil so we all get something out of the discussion.

^I went though this whole topic and not once did he or anyone accuse you of anything.

^I went though this whole topic and not once did he or anyone accuse you of anything.
    I cannot belabour this conversation any longer. I can not speak to why you do not understand the subtle innuendo in the specific conversation, or the broad reference to personal attacks by other posters on other posters to this thread. Can we please move on?

First One is Always Free

I cannot belabour this conversation any longer. I can not speak to why you do not understand the subtle innuendo in the specific conversation, or the broad reference to personal attacks by other posters on other posters to this thread. Can we please move on?
    I would vote for Kerry for Mayor or Councillor ( he's my council rep.). he is consistent in sharing what's going on at Council, and, more importantly, asking our opinion.
    “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”
    ― Jim Elliot

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

That would be because I had to remove and archive the original thread where even you crossed the line. This thread is a republished version. The other one had several unfounded accusations.

Stick to the topic please.
    Ow

What most people do not think about is what Edmonton will look like in 10, 20 years from now. Imagine Edmonton (especially downtown, inner-city) looking the same 10 years from now or 20 years. Meanwhile other Alberta cities are building and progressing (even at a moderate rate). To a lot of people a councilor who wants to say 'no' to any and all progress will put Edmonton on the back burner as far a going forward is concerned. Too many people, unfortunately, Kerry comes across as a non progressive councilor. He seems to represent the people who would like the city to stay the way it is and not improve itself. In a way, he seems to represents a selfish group of people. City taxes will still go up even if the arena is not built, there will still be potholes to fix, still infrastructure needing work, still inflation of administration costs etc. Sure we can spend all the taxes to have wonderful roads, but then we would not have anywhere nice to drive to.
    Last edited by Gemini; 01-05-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Gemini, I agree in part to what you say about thinking of Edmonton in the future, progress and so on. What I don't agree on is that Kerry is always negative and a naysayer. His voting record on council demonstrates that he in fact does vote for progressive initiatives that will make Edmonton a better place for us all. The thing that Kerry does, and the majority of council doesn't do, is question the cost v. benefits that taxpayers will get for their money. This optically makes some think he is negative, when in fact he is usually asking for fiscal accountability of expensive projects. This does not mean he's against a given project, only that he expects that those spending the money are spending it wisely. I don't agree with every thing he does, nobody agrees with everybody all the time. I'm just saying that too many councillors just nod their heads and vote in favour of things without asking the hard questions. To some, this makes Kerry look negative. To me, he at least has the gumption to ask the tough questions that need to be asked.

First One is Always Free

Gemini, I agree in part to what you say about thinking of Edmonton in the future, progress and so on. What I don't agree on is that Kerry is always negative and a naysayer. His voting record on council demonstrates that he in fact does vote for progressive initiatives that will make Edmonton a better place for us all. The thing that Kerry does, and the majority of council doesn't do, is question the cost v. benefits that taxpayers will get for their money. This optically makes some think he is negative, when in fact he is usually asking for fiscal accountability of expensive projects. This does not mean he's against a given project, only that he expects that those spending the money are spending it wisely. I don't agree with every thing he does, nobody agrees with everybody all the time. I'm just saying that too many councillors just nod their heads and vote in favour of things without asking the hard questions. To some, this makes Kerry look negative. To me, he at least has the gumption to ask the tough questions that need to be asked.
    Excellent points. He is one of the very few who ask the hard questions. Most just tow the line with what Mandel wants. That is a destructive pattern to never ask the tough questions and just spend.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ Very simplistic way of looking at it, given that many other so-called "pet/legacy projects" have been scaled back, delayed or killed by City Council due to costs...river valley gondola, entrance markers, Rossdale plant, Hawrelak beach, etc. But simplistic is the demographic Diotte is reaching out to.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I would say 95% of the people posting on this thread are non Kerry supporters. He might not be against a given project but on the ones that matter to the people who post here he tends to come across as negative. Now, if you had a conversation with people over 55 or over 60 I am sure their opinion of Kerry would be higher. That's the age group who don't seem to want the arena built or anything else that is not pot hole related.
    That might not be true but that is how they come across. It's almost like their anthem. No arena until every pothole is filled, sidewalk crack gone and a cop on every corner. It's unfortunate but that is how people see him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast