Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 191 of 191

Thread: Support for Kerry Diotte to run for Mayor growing! - revised thread

  1. #101
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    4,340

    Default

    ^ And with an aging demographic, well . . . the term 'grey power' comes to mind.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

  2. #102

    Default

    As the arena funding deal heats, more people have been going to my website; www.draftdiotte.com. With the recent private poll showing the majority of people against the current funding deal, it looks like more and more people agree with Kerry's stand on how bad the deal is for taxpayers. The only other person really making noise about the deal is Mandel who is in the back pocket of the developers. Kerry is the only Councillor that has been consistent in his position. Other Councillors seem to be waffling though as they are getting an ear full from there ward constituents.

  3. #103
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KOxamitny View Post
    The only other person really making noise about the deal is Mandel who is in the back pocket of the developers.
    This reads like libel to me, unless you can prove it.

  4. #104

    Default

    Yay arena deal will pass today and shovels will be in the ground...

    As for Polls... tell me the last time polls got any election right in the last 10 years?!

    Polling and questions written by a lady with no education on how to write unbiased questions/ is redundant.

    Polling is dead... we elected this council knowing full well they were pro arena.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  5. #105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KOxamitny View Post
    The only other person really making noise about the deal is Mandel who is in the back pocket of the developers.
    This reads like libel to me, unless you can prove it.
    It reads as sore looser to me.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  6. #106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KOxamitny View Post
    The only other person really making noise about the deal is Mandel who is in the back pocket of the developers.
    This reads like libel to me, unless you can prove it.
    Libel? Really? How about an astute observation. Do you think it is a coincidence that the largest contributors to Mandel's (and most Councillors) campaigns were property developers? Don't be naive.

    With respect to the poll, she did not write the questions that were asked - Environics Research Group did. Were they biased, depends which side of the fence you're on. I think most people want a new arena and understand the benefits it will bring. They (me included) just don't like the current funding arrangement that is dipping more and more into tax dollars that were earmarked for infrastructure and programs - not on billionaires playhouses.

  7. #107
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,465

    Default

    If it's true that the largest contributors to their campaigns were property developers, then that's something that can be proven and backed up here.

  8. #108

    Default

    Lol...

    O now.. Development in Edmonton.. God forbid we build some new stuff in this city.

    Hurry Kox.. your tin foil hat is calling.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  9. #109
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KOxamitny View Post
    Kerry is the only Councillor that has been consistent in his position. Other Councillors seem to be waffling though as they are getting an ear full from there ward constituents.


    Not to Top_Dawg's recollection.

    Top_Dawg remembers Councillor Sloan being against this deal well before Diotte.

  10. #110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Lol...

    O now.. Development in Edmonton.. God forbid we build some new stuff in this city.

    Hurry Kox.. your tin foil hat is calling.
    How intelligent! Because someone has a differing opinion you resort to insults. Anyhow, downtown development is great, but it should not be at the expense of civic services by taking tax dollars that are ear marked for those services. If a new arena is such a great idea and will be so profitable, then Katz would take the risk himself. Once again I will state that I'm not against a new arena, just the funding model. If my opinion offends you, I'm sorry.

  11. #111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    If it's true that the largest contributors to their campaigns were property developers, then that's something that can be proven and backed up here.
    All you need to do is go to the city of Edmonton website and look it up. All contributions to campaigns are listed there.

  12. #112
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KOxamitny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    If it's true that the largest contributors to their campaigns were property developers, then that's something that can be proven and backed up here.
    All you need to do is go to the city of Edmonton website and look it up. All contributions to campaigns are listed there.
    it's your claim, and as such, I believe the burden is on you to prove it when challenged.

  13. #113
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    As for Polls... tell me the last time polls got any election right in the last 10 years?!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_Si...U.S._elections

    On the morning of the November 6, 2012, presidential election, the final update of Silver's model at 10:10 A.M. gave President Barack Obama a 90.9% chance of winning a majority of the 538 electoral votes.[66] Both in summary tables and in an electoral map, Silver forecast the winner of each state. At the conclusion of that day, when Mitt Romney had conceded to Barack Obama, Silver's model had correctly predicted the winner of every one of the 50 states and the District of Columbia.[67][68] Silver, along with at least three[69] academic-based analysts – Drew Linzer,[70] Simon Jackman,[71] and Josh Putnam[72] – who also aggregated polls from multiple pollsters, thus was not only broadly correct about the election outcome, but also specifically predicted the outcomes for the 9 swing states.


    Individual polls aren't very accurate. But properly aggregated, they can be very useful in determining election outcomes. Nate Silver's work in the 2012 US election was extremely accurate.

  14. #114

    Default

    I told you where the info is. Look it up yourself!

  15. #115
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,332
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Oh for crying out loud...

    30 seconds and our friend Google gives...

    http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...tatements.aspx
    Onward and upward

  16. #116
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,465

    Default

    I just went and looked at Diotte's campaign contribution disclosure form.

    You might want to do the same, KOxamitny, before calling out other politicians for having "major contributions from developers"

    Wow.

  17. #117

    Default

    Kerry, should he run, should use the campaign slogan: "Only ran because people told him to!" since it seems like he's incapable of actually being a leader and making the decision on his own accord. That sounds exactly like what this city needs, a folding chair for mayor.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  18. #118
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,465

    Default

    Almost 50% of his campaign contributions came from companies with the word "development" in their title, sprawl communities (South Terwillegar, Ellerslie East and South, Allard, etc), home-building companies (Reidbuilt) and so on and so forth.

    So please, next time you decide to spout off about how Mandel, or anybody else, is in the pocket of developers, do your research.

  19. #119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KOxamitny View Post
    Kerry is the only Councillor that has been consistent in his position. Other Councillors seem to be waffling though as they are getting an ear full from there ward constituents.


    Not to Top_Dawg's recollection.

    Top_Dawg remembers Councillor Sloan being against this deal well before Diotte.
    April 2010 he voted for the original deal. His own words!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  20. #120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Almost 50% of his campaign contributions came from companies with the word "development" in their title, sprawl communities (South Terwillegar, Ellerslie East and South, Allard, etc), home-building companies (Reidbuilt) and so on and so forth.

    So please, next time you decide to spout off about how Mandel, or anybody else, is in the pocket of developers, do your research.
    Yup. Just checked it myself as well. Here is the proof:

    http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...nts/Diotte.pdf

    Diotte has received a lot of financial contributions from developers.

  21. #121
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ozerna, North Edmonton
    Posts
    8,961

    Default

    But but but, he is the voice for the people.....

    I really hope they vote this bum out of office next election.

  22. #122
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Almost 50% of his campaign contributions came from companies with the word "development" in their title, sprawl communities (South Terwillegar, Ellerslie East and South, Allard, etc), home-building companies (Reidbuilt) and so on and so forth.

    So please, next time you decide to spout off about how Mandel, or anybody else, is in the pocket of developers, do your research.
    Yup. Just checked it myself as well. Here is the proof:

    http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...nts/Diotte.pdf

    Diotte has received a lot of financial contributions from developers.
    I thought about adding the link, but decided that if "go find it yourself" is a good enough answer for one, it's good enough for the other as well.

    Thanks though, for backing up my post.

  23. #123

    Default

    Kerry wanted the deal to fail because he owns DT land and wanted the arena moved onto his land. He is also a puppet of Clark Construction and wants the builder changed.

    He of course was going to get kickbacks from this all and find 100% private financing

    (this is not a serious post, but an adaptation of things I have heard said about the mayorl. )
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  24. #124

    Default

    Kerry Diotte is not getting my vote.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

  25. #125

    Default

    ^Faith is restored just a lil bit in this city if more people think like you.

  26. #126

    Default

    Developers contribute to every candidates campaigns. It is a numbers game that usually always works in their favour. Even if a few councillors go against the grain, the developers still win. Rightly or wrongly, the developers have a huge influence over city council.

    Anyhow, back to the discussion about the arena deal. I have never stated that I was against a new arena. I don't think Kerry has said that either. The problem is (was) with the funding deal. That is now a mute point. Anyhow, us whiners and backward thinkers at least had the nads to question this deal and not just accept it at face value under the assurance that it was best for us. Thanks to us whiners and backward thinkers, city council got the message and you the taxpayer, were spared 30 millions dollars in MSI funding, will get (hopefully) a 25 million dollar grant from the province, and Katz kicked in another 15 million dollars. Your welcome...

  27. #127
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KOxamitny
    Developers contribute to every candidates campaigns. It is a numbers game that usually always works in their favour. Even if a few councillors go against the grain, the developers still win. Rightly or wrongly, the developers have a huge influence over city council.
    So by your own admission, Kerry Diotte is also "in the back pocket of developers"? Thank you for clarifying.

  28. #128

    Default

    Never said that. You did.

  29. #129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KOxamitny View Post
    Developers contribute to every candidates campaigns. It is a numbers game that usually always works in their favour. Even if a few councillors go against the grain, the developers still win. Rightly or wrongly, the developers have a huge influence over city council.

    Anyhow, back to the discussion about the arena deal. I have never stated that I was against a new arena. I don't think Kerry has said that either. The problem is (was) with the funding deal. That is now a mute point. Anyhow, us whiners and backward thinkers at least had the nads to question this deal and not just accept it at face value under the assurance that it was best for us. Thanks to us whiners and backward thinkers, city council got the message and you the taxpayer, were spared 30 millions dollars in MSI funding, will get (hopefully) a 25 million dollar grant from the province, and Katz kicked in another 15 million dollars. Your welcome...
    ..and the delay of two years in completion cost how much to the project just so both side could posture???
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

  30. #130
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton (belevedre)
    Posts
    6,467

    Default

    Kerry may want to run for the mayor's chair and his true purpose is to halt the construction of downtown arena in 2014 to get a better deal.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

  31. #131

    Default

    That is a very good point KenL2. The provincial and municipal politics probably cost an extra 100 million or so? One thing for sure is that mega projects like this rarely if ever come in on budget so it will be interesting to see what the end cost will be. Only time will tell.

  32. #132
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    2,468

    Default

    If diotte is the only 'cranky' candidate, while several 'progressive' candidates decide to run, he could easily get in.

    For this we should all be very, very worried.

  33. #133
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KOxamitny View Post
    As the arena funding deal heats, more people have been going to my website; www.draftdiotte.com. With the recent private poll showing the majority of people against the current funding deal, it looks like more and more people agree with Kerry's stand on how bad the deal is for taxpayers.

    The only other person really making noise about the deal is Mandel who is in the back pocket of the developers. Kerry is the only Councillor that has been consistent in his position. Other Councillors seem to be waffling though as they are getting an ear full from there ward constituents.
    The overwhelming majority of people, including me, haven't a clue about the current funding model.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

  34. #134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KOxamitny View Post

    With respect to the poll, she did not write the questions that were asked - Environics Research Group did. Were they biased, depends which side of the fence you're on. I think most people want a new arena and understand the benefits it will bring. They (me included) just don't like the current funding arrangement that is dipping more and more into tax dollars that were earmarked for infrastructure and programs - not on billionaires playhouses.
    Oh really?

    Jalkanen, who works as an administrative assistant, said she tried to be impartial when she wrote the seven questions and spent $5,000 to hire Environics Research Group to survey 300 Edmonton adults between Friday and Monday
    .

    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...972/story.html

  35. #135
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Fresh from my inbox:

    This email is to inform you that I'll be holding a press conference to speak to my intentions regarding the October 21, 2013 municipal election.

    I am extending you an invitation to attend this event on Thursday May 16, 2013:

    When: Thursday May 16, 2013

    Time: 3:00 p.m.

    Location: Coast Plaza Hotel

    10155 — 105 Street

    Edmonton, AB

    Elk Island Room (lobby level)



    Please note, space is limited but I'll stick around after the announcement to chat.

    I hope that you can make it out on such short notice.

    — Kerry Diotte

  36. #136
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ozerna, North Edmonton
    Posts
    8,961

    Default

    Love Mandel's quote regarding Diotte:

    Courtney Theriault ‏@cspotweet

    @MayorMandel says @KerryDiotte hasn't done anything in his 3 years at city hall- "He comes to council and tweets the whole time."
    https://twitter.com/cspotweet

  37. #137

    Default

    I got the impression that Mandel doesn't like Kerry. Lol

  38. #138

    Default

    ^^http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjXnC...utu.be&t=2m20s

    Link for his comments this morning. From that clip, I think he wants to run again.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

  39. #139
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    1,679

    Default

    I'll vote for Kerry Diotte if I'm interested in seeing Edmonton fall further behind.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

  40. #140

    Default

    I'm guessing Katz's accountants have already written the campaign cheques for Mandel.

  41. #141

    Default

    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  42. #142
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton - Blue Quill
    Posts
    3,057

    Default

    I've seen the responses to Kerry's blog questions. It would appear his biggest followers are members of the "Fix the potholes" crowd. If he runs for mayor, he'll not get my vote.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

  43. #143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    I'm guessing Katz's accountants have already written the campaign cheques for Mandel.
    And no matter how correct or incorrect your your guess is, it has absolutely nothing to do with Kerry Diotte, nor his ability as a city councillor or mayor.

  44. #144
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,861

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    I've seen the responses to Kerry's blog questions. It would appear his biggest followers are members of the "Fix the potholes" crowd. If he runs for mayor, he'll not get my vote.
    He wont get mine/ours either

  45. #145
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,421

    Default

    We would NEVER vote Diotte...he is sooo negative and tries to stop any development or good news for Edmonton. Diotte should be thrown out of office without a dime of public money at the end of his term. Edmonton has no need for whinners that will move this City backward - not forward.

  46. #146
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,789

    Default



    Allow Top_Dawg to expand that a little:

    Diotte All politicians at every level should be thrown out of office without a dime of public money at the end of his their term.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 16-05-2013 at 01:54 PM.

  47. #147
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    We would NEVER vote Diotte...he is sooo negative and tries to stop any development or good news for Edmonton. Diotte should be thrown out of office without a dime of public money at the end of his term. Edmonton has no need for whinners that will move this City backward - not forward.
    Yes, god forbid someone would have the best interest of what is now shown to be the majority of tax payers at heart and ask the tough questions.

    The poll on Global and in the Journal today was simple and showed that the majority of people are not happy that Council approved the arena deal under the current funding model.

    Yes Diotte is on record from 2010 on board with the original arena deal but the one that is in place now is a completely different monster. If the deal changes, he should be allowed to change his position on it.

    When did essential services, infrastructure and balancing budgets become a backwards initiative? My tax dollars deserve someone who listens to what the people want and move forward based on that. We haven't seen that from Mandel since his first term.

  48. #148
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ozerna, North Edmonton
    Posts
    8,961

    Default

    The best interest of the city is to build the arena district and thankfully 10 Councillors had the brains and decency to make it happen. One can only hope that Diotte runs for Mayor and Mandel kicks his butt at the polls, then we won't have to listen to Diotte as mayor or Councillor. Diotte is exactly what this city DOES NOT need.

  49. #149
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    1,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trmpt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    We would NEVER vote Diotte...he is sooo negative and tries to stop any development or good news for Edmonton. Diotte should be thrown out of office without a dime of public money at the end of his term. Edmonton has no need for whinners that will move this City backward - not forward.
    Yes, god forbid someone would have the best interest of what is now shown to be the majority of tax payers at heart and ask the tough questions.

    The poll on Global and in the Journal today was simple and showed that the majority of people are not happy that Council approved the arena deal under the current funding model.

    Yes Diotte is on record from 2010 on board with the original arena deal but the one that is in place now is a completely different monster. If the deal changes, he should be allowed to change his position on it.

    When did essential services, infrastructure and balancing budgets become a backwards initiative? My tax dollars deserve someone who listens to what the people want and move forward based on that. We haven't seen that from Mandel since his first term.
    My question to those that don't like the current funding model, is what would make them happy? From what I've heard from Diotte, is that he would want to dither and negotiate another deal, or worse, do nothing at all. We all know how delaying projects just costs more in the long run. I have yet to hear what he would have liked for a deal. Likely something that isn't realistic for both parties.

    Arena deal aside, I have not heard one thing that he has said, that I agree with. I would not vote for him.

  50. #150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trmpt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    We would NEVER vote Diotte...he is sooo negative and tries to stop any development or good news for Edmonton. Diotte should be thrown out of office without a dime of public money at the end of his term. Edmonton has no need for whinners that will move this City backward - not forward.
    Yes, god forbid someone would have the best interest of what is now shown to be the majority of tax payers at heart and ask the tough questions.

    The poll on Global and in the Journal today was simple and showed that the majority of people are not happy that Council approved the arena deal under the current funding model.

    Yes Diotte is on record from 2010 on board with the original arena deal but the one that is in place now is a completely different monster. If the deal changes, he should be allowed to change his position on it.

    When did essential services, infrastructure and balancing budgets become a backwards initiative? My tax dollars deserve someone who listens to what the people want and move forward based on that. We haven't seen that from Mandel since his first term.
    Completely different?! of course the deal was change and grow... Diotte just has to great an escape route politically so he can try to collect protest votes.

    GST wasn't popular but it was enacted for the good of the country... Our elected officials are elected to make the hard decisions, even when the decision isn't popular. Also the majority of people are completely uninformed. I don't respect the opinion of a pitch fork mob that are stirred up by people spreading miss information such as Kerry.

    I have no respect for the man.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  51. #151
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Strathcona - Mill Creek
    Posts
    5,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trmpt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    We would NEVER vote Diotte...he is sooo negative and tries to stop any development or good news for Edmonton. Diotte should be thrown out of office without a dime of public money at the end of his term. Edmonton has no need for whinners that will move this City backward - not forward.
    Yes, god forbid someone would have the best interest of what is now shown to be the majority of tax payers at heart and ask the tough questions.
    The problem is that many people who are against this deal don't even understand it (my mom and her husband being two of those people, until I explained it to them). Many people feel that we should fix Rexall Place instead of building a new downtown arena. They don't understand that taxpayers would need to foot the entire $250-$300,000,000 bill for that. Most people also don't understand the CRL, and how it works (my mom and her husband being two of those people).

    And the poll that lady ran... the questions were a joke. Even the Global poll is worded poorly, as it makes it sound as though taxpayers will be paying for the arena directly, which isn't the case.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

  52. #152
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    I don't respect the opinion of a pitch fork mob that are stirred up by people spreading miss information such as Kerry.
    But yet there seems to be respect the pitch fork mob that attacks people for having a differing opinion here... that's rich.

  53. #153
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    5,410

    Default

    ^ Yeah, the taxpayers getting screwed argument, turns out, is mightily flawed.

    Diotte forgets the subsidy taxpayers give Northlands so that the Oilers can play rent free - versus the $6 million annual rent the Oilers will pay (the city) in the new city-owned arena.

    Forget the $2-300 million the City will have to fork out to lipstick on the current pig that he deems "good enough," even w/o that, the rental income versus subsidy payout is already a better deal for taxpayers.

    All said though, he'll be feisty, and emminently quotable!
    ... gobsmacked

  54. #154

    Default

    lol. CBC reporter and good family friend, Janice Johnston, attempts to ask mayor about Diotte comments. Her husband is right beside too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=UNWDsp-d5BY
    Go down a few dark alleys.

  55. #155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Many people feel that we should fix Rexall Place instead of building a new downtown arena. They don't understand that taxpayers would need to foot the entire $250-$300,000,000 bill for that.
    Mandel was on Global this morning admitting that the city did a terrible job communicating this, and all the misinformation out there unfortunately made this deal more "political" than it should have been.

  56. #156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    bump lol
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  57. #157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mnugent View Post
    lol. CBC reporter and good family friend, Janice Johnston, attempts to ask mayor about Diotte comments. Her husband is right beside too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=UNWDsp-d5BY
    That's Golden.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  58. #158

    Default

    so this is what the crowd for Kerry's press release looks like..

    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  59. #159
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Montrose
    Posts
    1,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    so this is what the crowd for Kerry's press release looks like..

    Damn you beat me to it. I'd say the average age is about 65 lol
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

  60. #160
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Montrose
    Posts
    1,231

    Default

    Though I will say, its interesting how the CBC reporter who took that picture cut out half the room (the more empty half)

    Here's the rest of the room

    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

  61. #161

    Default

    Wow.. lots of old white men...
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  62. #162
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Considering I came down out if interest, I can say the room was full when I walked in at 2:59...and it is a great mix of ages. So that picture is in essence, dated when all things considered.

  63. #163

    Default

    Some of the other councilors comments on Kerry are telling.

    It doesn't really inspire confidence on his ability to pull the group together.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  64. #164
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,789

    Default



    Just the good ol' boys
    Wouldn't change if they could
    Fightin' the system like a true
    Modern day Robin Hood

    - Waylon


    LET THE GAMES BEGIN !!



    Top_Dawg is looking forward to four months of shameless name calling, hypocrisy, slander, drive-by smears, lies, social media bullying and grand scale corruption.

    Another formidable Alberta election.

    He can only hope that at the end of it everyone's reputation is in tatters, self-esteem is destroyed and good health dissolved. Amen.

  65. #165
    C2E Super Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Beautiful BC
    Posts
    1,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post


    Just the good ol' boys
    Wouldn't change if they could
    Fightin' the system like a true
    Modern day Robin Hood

    - Waylon


    LET THE GAMES BEGIN !!



    Top_Dawg is looking forward to four months of shameless name calling, hypocrisy, slander, drive-by smears, lies, social media bullying and grand scale corruption.

    Another formidable Alberta election.

    He can only hope that at the end of it everyone's reputation is in tatters, self-esteem is destroyed and good health dissolved. Amen.
    Yeee Haaaaaa! Let the fun begin.

  66. #166
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,487

    Default

    https://twitter.com/vineshpratap/sta...47246444224512

    After launching his mayoral campaign, Kerry Diotte indicates he has no platform. Plans on listening lots.
    "Kerry Diotte for Mayor: Leading Edmonton Into the 20th Century!"

    I suppose this means Mandel will be running again?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  67. #167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Some of the other councilors comments on Kerry are telling.

    It doesn't really inspire confidence on his ability to pull the group together.
    ^this.

    I think a key element of being Mayor is being able to build consensus. Something Diotte can't seem to do - which means a council under him would be very dysfunctional.

  68. #168

    Default

    We've got a Rob Ford on our hands. It's time now for Mandel to decide if he's running or not, and for an alternative consensus candidate to be decided immediately if he s not.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

  69. #169
    C2E Super Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Beautiful BC
    Posts
    1,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Some of the other councilors comments on Kerry are telling.

    It doesn't really inspire confidence on his ability to pull the group together.
    ^this.

    I think a key element of being Mayor is being able to build consensus. Something Diotte can't seem to do - which means a council under him would be very dysfunctional.
    You assume all the same councilors will be in place after the election? The consensus suggests a number of incumbents have shot their bolt over their arena stance, amongst other things...

  70. #170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Some of the other councilors comments on Kerry are telling.

    It doesn't really inspire confidence on his ability to pull the group together.
    ^this.

    I think a key element of being Mayor is being able to build consensus. Something Diotte can't seem to do - which means a council under him would be very dysfunctional.
    You assume all the same councilors will be in place after the election? The consensus suggests a number of incumbents have shot their bolt over their arena stance, amongst other things...
    wow I heard people say the same thing over the airport.... but of course, the naysayers were proven wrong... Same thing happening here again with the arena.

  71. #171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    https://twitter.com/vineshpratap/sta...47246444224512

    After launching his mayoral campaign, Kerry Diotte indicates he has no platform. Plans on listening lots.
    He. Announced. Without. A. Platform.

    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

  72. #172
    C2E Super Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Beautiful BC
    Posts
    1,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Some of the other councilors comments on Kerry are telling.

    It doesn't really inspire confidence on his ability to pull the group together.
    ^this.

    I think a key element of being Mayor is being able to build consensus. Something Diotte can't seem to do - which means a council under him would be very dysfunctional.
    You assume all the same councilors will be in place after the election? The consensus suggests a number of incumbents have shot their bolt over their arena stance, amongst other things...
    wow I heard people say the same thing over the airport.... but of course, the naysayers were proven wrong... Same thing happening here again with the arena.
    This is a fair point. As well we know from 40 odd years at the provincial level - Albertans don't like change.

  73. #173
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ozerna, North Edmonton
    Posts
    8,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trmpt View Post
    Considering I came down out if interest, I can say the room was full when I walked in at 2:59...and it is a great mix of ages. So that picture is in essence, dated when all things considered.
    Dated like his supporters and his platform, oh wait, he is running and doesn't even have one

  74. #174
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,494

    Default

    Is the Smartphone app for Mayoral candidate Kerry Diotte - iDiotte?
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

  75. #175
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,487

    Default

    https://twitter.com/dstaples/status/335149822849990658

    RT @SunAngeliqueR: Diotte says he wld not scuttle arena deal if he were elected Mayor.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  76. #176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Some of the other councilors comments on Kerry are telling.

    It doesn't really inspire confidence on his ability to pull the group together.
    ^this.

    I think a key element of being Mayor is being able to build consensus. Something Diotte can't seem to do - which means a council under him would be very dysfunctional.
    You assume all the same councilors will be in place after the election? The consensus suggests a number of incumbents have shot their bolt over their arena stance, amongst other things...
    History favors the incumbent. the "Vocal Minority" can get out there pitchforks but at the end of the day it doesn't equal to sweeping change. We saw this with the muni debate.. and various other issues.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  77. #177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    https://twitter.com/dstaples/status/335149822849990658

    RT @SunAngeliqueR: Diotte says he wld not scuttle arena deal if he were elected Mayor.
    See!... He doesn't stand for anything..
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  78. #178
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    1,679

    Default

    Imagine city council meetings solely devoted to discussing potholes.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

  79. #179

    Default

    I can't believe he doesn't have a platform.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  80. #180
    C2E Super Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Beautiful BC
    Posts
    1,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Imagine city council meetings solely devoted to discussing potholes.
    Might make a refreshing change after 7 years of banging on about a hockey rink don't you think?

  81. #181
    C2E Super Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Beautiful BC
    Posts
    1,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    I can't believe he doesn't have a platform.
    That's quite innovative. Yet the haters say Diotte is regressive.

  82. #182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    I can't believe he doesn't have a platform.
    I can. He's a puppet and nothing more.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  83. #183

    Default

    Kerry's pothole of the month club:

    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

  84. #184
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    2,468

    Default

    Diotte for mayor? At least this should get him out of the picture

  85. #185
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,487

    Default

    It's probably a good thing that elections are held in the fall...all the potholes are filled, most of the road construction is completed, and not enough snow to warrant plowing!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  86. #186

    Default

    All he needs now is a good 'ol botched police sting to get him some sympathy vote.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  87. #187

    Default

    Based on twitter reaction it seems reaction is about 95% against Diotte. I'm assuming he's not going to be going for the social media campaign...

  88. #188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KOxamitny View Post
    I got the impression that Mandel doesn't like Kerry. Lol
    He's not the only one. I know most city council members and he's hated. People won't even talk to him. It would be a dysfunctional council. I hope Edmontonsees through this phony. I think they will.

  89. #189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
    Based on twitter reaction it seems reaction is about 95% against Diotte. I'm assuming he's not going to be going for the social media campaign...
    That doesn't bode well for his chances, seeing as various councilors are suggesting his only strength are his Twitter skills.

    Diotte: I am a man of the Twitter people!
    Twitter: We hate you
    Diotte: Derp
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  90. #190
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    843

    Default

    The JOURNALS poll indicates 75% of respondents ( 782) would not/not vote for Diotte. 19% (199) said they would and 6% (60) were undecided. Some of the comments about him were viceral. A big hill to climb

  91. #191
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,489
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    With the announcement that Kerry Diotte is running for the Mayor's chair, I have closed this thread.

    If there is to be discussion on the mayoral campaign, I will open up the regular C2E Election forum once more candidates declare their intentions.
    Ow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •