You make a valid point.

nice cannondale! I just bought the Jeykll 3

C2E Long Term Contributor

Look at you all matching.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Distracted driving law???

LOL
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Make sure you S T O P @ stop signs,not like your 3 fellow cycling brethren that I saw make no attempt to stop as I followed them up to STOP SIGN in the west end yesterday.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Ian, the most important part of biking is to match! Haha. Looking good on the bike is more important than actually riding well...

And Barry I'd say I was a pretty decent cyclist at following rules. Stop at stop signs, wait in lines of cars instead of passing on the right between cars and sidewalk, but I also take a lane when I need to and ride what I think is safe, even if it slows down cars for a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    Make sure you S T O P @ stop signs,not like your 3 fellow cycling brethren that I saw make no attempt to stop as I followed them up to STOP SIGN in the west end yesterday.
    Grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Grow up.
    WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO TELL ANYONE TO GROW UP ? I have seen more of my share of cyclists cruising thru stop signs making no attempt to stop. I commend the op for following the rules. How ever, if you're so high and mighty that you think acting like a self appointed judge of people to tell them what to do,then my little friend there is no hope. This is free forum of discussion and I can post my feelings just like you.
    Last edited by Barry N; 27-04-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Aww Barry, did your feelings get hurt?

Channing has a photo up top - was channing one of the cyclists you saw? If not, then what is your point? Even kids in elementary know that being rude to someone based on how they look is wrong.

But at this time every year you spout your same tired bs and think that it makes you a big hero, when you're actually just being a child.

You have no right to expect people to justify themselves or apologize based on the actions of others. You're clearly the one with the problem and are the one who should be apologizing.

When you're out driving please try to put your childish grudges aside, for everyone's safety.

Partially Addicted to C2E

http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/why-...s-physics.html

Summary: in order to maintain a average speed of 20 km/h (casual commuter-type pace) over the course of a stop sign controlled stretch, every start after a complete stop would require a power output of 500W. the power output for the same average speed of 20km/h without stopping is about 100W.

bicycles have a huge field of vision, small footprint, and the ability to stop or change direction very fast. it's time for the laws to catch up with common sense in alberta as they have many other places in the world, and allow cyclists to treat stop signs as yields.

No, it's not.

Be it a car, truck, bus driver or PEDESTRIAN, they all have a right to expect that a person on any mode of transport approaching a stop sign will, you know, STOP.

Asking others to be mind readers is not common sense. Not fair either.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by jdk13 View Post
    http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/why-...s-physics.html

Summary: in order to maintain a average speed of 20 km/h (casual commuter-type pace) over the course of a stop sign controlled stretch, every start after a complete stop would require a power output of 500W. the power output for the same average speed of 20km/h without stopping is about 100W.

bicycles have a huge field of vision, small footprint, and the ability to stop or change direction very fast. it's time for the laws to catch up with common sense in alberta as they have many other places in the world, and allow cyclists to treat stop signs as yields.
    Only if your bike is made by Audi, BMW or Mercedes. LOL Otherwise you are required to stop. When I cycle, I follow the rules of the road including using the left turn lane on major arterials and inside lane of traffic circles. That's on a tandem as well.

If the intersection is unsafe or too busy to do a left turn, I will go straight to the far side, get off the bike and turn it 90 deg and then go straight in the other direction when the lights turn green.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

highlander

The paths are is better shape then the roads right now. They didn't get sanded in the winter, so they're in tip-top shape. Go for a ride. You will be glad you did.

You will feel better. You might even stop getting worked up when people bend the law in ways that could not possibly harm anyone.

I've been cycling for two weeks now and have seen a disappointing ratio of poor drivers against automobiles. One near-miss-death a day at the driver's fault at least - and I'm usually in a bike lane - not to mention the near misses every day for being a pedestrian - today was a close one at 81 ave and 105 st! That truck did NOT see me cross the street. So, who's to blame. Everyone. Let's all get better at driving, what ever you're driving.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.