Thread: Child Seat Recommendations?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Child Seat Recommendations?

I have a 16 month-old (30 lbs), and I'd like to take him out on rides this summer. I'm looking for recommendations on a good seat that can be attached to the rear of a mountain bike, though I may consider one of those trailers that can be pulled behind. I'll be sticking to the paved trails.

Does anyone here have any pros and cons to either option, or can recommend something?
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

We looked at the rear bike mounted seats but loading nad unlaoding the child always required two people it seems. There was an option for a front mounted seat, but we never looked into it too far. We were foturnate enough to be given a trailer- Chariot brand. I am so glad we were given this, as i would not have spent the extra on a chariot brand but it would be well worht it in hindsight. They are well built and some very good engineering behind them. A lot lighter than the costco option. We also use ours to haul toys / equipment to the beach when camping. Works great!

Very good points, JJMorrocco. I hadn't thought about loading and unloading, only riding with him in there. How much more difficult is it to pedal with the Chariot on your bike? I liked the seat because it's easier to store (takes up less room), but the Chariot certainly is more versatile.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Wouldn't a trailer be safer then a bucket seat? If you end falling over after an impact or hitting loose gravel, the fall from just above the rear tire seems worse then having the trailer flip on its side.

The pull from an empty chariot is negligible, of course the more weight you add the more significant it becomes. Basically you just use your gears differently. I walk big hills, trailer or not.

Big bonus is protection from wind, rain, and bugs with the option netting or clear plastic. Not many trips where my kids didn't fall asleep in there!

The one disadvantage of trailer is the width can be a bit dauting on smaller paths or tight corners.

Ustauk, yeah, a trailer would be safer. There's not a "perfect" thing, so I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of each one to find out what's the best for us. Right now I'm leaning more towards the trailer.

JJ, they fold up for storage, don't they?

Yeah we went with the Chariot too for safety sake. Bought used and sold it after a couple years for pretty much the same price. Make sure you have the flag.

I wouldn't put very kids in such a trailer though. They are sitting and their heads and thus their brains bounce all over place. (Not at all natural movement as there's essentially no suspension.)

Plus getting on and off a guys bike with a seat is near impossible.
    Last edited by KC; 26-04-2013 at 09:38 PM.

highlander

I have a Chariot that we rarely use because our 33 month old loves the front seat so much. W have one with a sort of shelf so she can lean forward, and can sleep on longer rides.

It's great. she can put her hands on the handlebars and "help" steer, ring the bell, it's easy to talk, and she can see everything. We had one of the back seats before, and the kids didn't like it nearly as much. Sweaty back isn't the nicest view.
    It's also better for weight distribution, and feels more stable than the back seat.

The front seats do have a lower weight limit, so if you get one it may be a one year investment.

The chariot is good too, but it is bigger and more cumbersome, and your child is farther away. Good for longer trips, or when the extra storage is needed.

I've also done the trail-a-bike-plus-chariot train, and even that isn't hard to handle, as long as the energetic 5year-old isn't trying to steer from the back. You just have to take wide corners like a semi.

What model of front seat do you have? He already 30 lbs, so I'm assuming he'll be out of that soon.

highlander

We have a WeeRide, rated for 40lbs. We tried another model but returned it based on how it fit on our bikes. The only drawback of the front seats, in my opinion, is how they limit knee space.

Gord- Yes the Chariots fold completley down and disassemble very easy (under 1 minute), the folded down size is the area of the main base and about 6" high, everything fits inside once folded. Not sure on other models but on the chariot the pins that hold the components in place have a strap so you don't losed them when stored - very handy.

The model we have does not have the 'stroller' option which is a front wheel and rear handlebar - I would definiately get this upgrade if I had to do it again.