Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton International Airport Retail / Hotel Development

I don't know, a change in how we build since 1999?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Hence the hybrid to a cross-iron...
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

hardly progressive - i figured we should know 'better' by now. Currents in windermere or even SEC are at the very least near to where people live. The closest to this is Leduc, and they already have the craptacular Leduc Common.

I know this is meant to offer something different (outlet shopping, which btw is hardly much better than the factory stores SEC already offers) but i hardly understand the justification behind its location. Adding extra traffic unnecessarily to the airport turn off for this kind of trash is pretty ridiculous.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Is this the airport authority forcing the hands of gov't to invest in some new infrastructure around the airport such as public transit and a new overpass. This overpass is afterall one of the main entrances into Leduc, an industrial area no less, and our international airport which is growing busier and busier each and every month. This needs to happen sooner than later IMO.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Is this the airport authority forcing the hands of gov't to invest in some new infrastructure around the airport such as public transit and a new overpass. This overpass is afterall one of the main entrances into Leduc, an industrial area no less, and our international airport which is growing busier and busier each and every month. This needs to happen sooner than later IMO.
    With everything planned here this interchange needs to be upgraded yesterday.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Base View Post
    With everything planned here this interchange needs to be upgraded yesterday.
    It is a safety issue right now and getting worse all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Yup... what more would you expect?
    The only rendering released looked fine:

As long as that doesn't degenerate into the sheer gaudy blaring stereotype garish tackiness that Crossiron did:

Source
    ( )

I'll be fine.

Not sure why this is so hard to figure out.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    hardly progressive - i figured we should know 'better' by now. Currents in windermere or even SEC are at the very least near to where people live. The closest to this is Leduc, and they already have the craptacular Leduc Common.

I know this is meant to offer something different (outlet shopping, which btw is hardly much better than the factory stores SEC already offers) but i hardly understand the justification behind its location. Adding extra traffic unnecessarily to the airport turn off for this kind of trash is pretty ridiculous.

Its location was guided as a groundside money making venture by the Airport Authority to supplement revenues and do stuff like help land another transcontinental flight (which are often 'joint ventures' between airline and airport, believe it or not.)

(It's a similar model again to EDACC, actually, using profitable leased space to aid a non-profit.)
    Last edited by JayBee; 30-04-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: last sentence.

Nice girl. She supposedly blows all those little signs hanging from the ceiling and they twirl about but it's actually the two air vents. Spooky

Last year there was a lot of activity with infrastructure works being installed but this year I saw no activity at this site. Does anyone know that this development is still a go or has there been a derailment?

C2E Continued Contributor

They've been working on it all summer

Not much going on by the highway. Maybe it's further back then I thought then.

Default Work On Mall At Airport Set To Begin Soon

Wednesday, September 24th 2014 10:17

Groundbreaking for the mall at the international airport is right around the corner.

The Edmonton Airport Authority is ready to breakground on their mall.

Sometime this fall they plan to begin construction on the 85-store mall called "The Outlet Collection at EIA".

Heather Hamilton from the Edmonton International Airport says before work begins on the mall they'll be adding a ramp and a turning light to the Airport Road interchange.
    http://www.onefm.ca/news/leduc-count...to-begin-soon/

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Heather Hamilton from the Edmonton International Airport says before work begins on the mall they'll be adding a ramp and a turning light to the Airport Road interchange.
    http://www.onefm.ca/news/leduc-count...to-begin-soon/
    Hmmm?

Must be a right turn exit ramp for traffic leaving the airport.

Minor, but welcome change.

"Right now, coming from the city, you go left into Nisku, you go right into the airport. We'd be adding a third option, which would be to go straight. By creating that third option there will also be a light there. So that left turn which is very problematic in the morning, would be significantly improved."

That ramp needed a traffic signal for sure during the morning rush hour it routinely backs up onto QE2, less so in the afternoon.

The Outlet Collection at Edmonton International Airport: Scheduled to open in the fall of 2016, Ivanhoe Cambridge is building a 350,000 square foot outlet mall to house about 85 retailers. The enclosed mall (good idea, considering the weather) will be located on 45 acres of land owned by Edmonton International Airport. Given its location, it could attract shoppers from all over Northern Alberta, as well as possibly air travellers.

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail...1/outlet-malls
    EIA @FlyEIA

There will be a media announcement next week, and the collection will be much bigger than this article states! #yeg

https://twitter.com/FlyEIA/status/555817862363746304

Interesting that it will be larger?

^ looks like the concept hit a sweet spot with retailers. The idea was bring in the outlets that CrossIron had but not the big boxes for fear of SEC duplication. But if 110 stores say they want in to the 85 store complex, and you're not limited in space, why not fling open the doors?

Excited to see the details. This could bode well for airport finances, which could in turn bode well for air service.

Quote Originally Posted by Brentk View Post
    They've been working on it all summer
    Ahem

I hope they increase the square footage and have a nice food court. Have a 5-10 minute interval shuttle service to and from airport and it just might be enough to coerce some people to fly through EIA...

C2E SME

That would be very smart if they had a shuttle to the airport.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Some tweets about the new outlet mall:

https://twitter.com/VeronicaCTV

https://twitter.com/MahSpace/status/...652736/photo/1

Veronica Jubinville ‏@VeronicaCTV
    Developer releasing new details about a new mega mall near @FlyEIA . 415-thousand square feet w/ over 100 retailers #yeg @ctvedmonton
    Veronica Jubinville ‏@VeronicaCTV 13m13 minutes ago
    The EIA says both developments will bring $225 million to region and create approx. 1000 jobs #yeg @ctvedmonton
    Other development is a 210,000 sq ft building for Rosenau.

Bill Mah ‏@MahSpace
    Rosenau's new 210,000 sq. ft. Bldg. will be distribution ctr & warehouse for northern Alberta. #ejlive #yeg
    Last edited by Hilman; 21-01-2015 at 03:30 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Official announcement:
    Ivanhoé Cambridge and Edmonton International Airport unveil detailed plans for the Outlet Collection at EIA
    Enclosed outlet retail destination to welcome more than 100 brands in larger property to be serviced by airport shuttle service

Edmonton, Alberta – Ivanhoé Cambridge and Edmonton International Airport (EIA) unveiled today details about the development of the Outlet Collection at EIA shopping centre.

Ivanhoé Cambridge and EIA have made significant advances in the design and planning of Outlet Collection at EIA which will anchor the airport’s Highway Commercial Development project, a plan by EIA to create a premier shopping, office, entertainment and hotel development located adjacent to the Queen Elizabeth II Highway at Airport Road.

Edmonton’s first-and-only pure outlet centre, Outlet Collection at EIA, will feature warm modern fashion-forward districts and a contemporary dining hall within an enclosed "industrial chic" shopping environment. Since the initial project announcement in December 2013, the shopping centre’s retail area has been increased by 65,000 square feet to 415,000 square feet, and now plans to welcome more than 100 outlet brands.

The property will also benefit from new services:
    - A new airport shuttle service will be in place by the opening of the centre, which will provide airport travellers with the the opportunity to easily move between the Terminal and Outlet Collection at EIA during longer layovers
    - A new parcel storage service will be established to accommodate customers who buy on the way through, with pick-up service on the return leg of their travel

With Outlet Collection at EIA opening in 2017, site preparation has progressed significantly over the course of the past year, including the rough grading of the site, the design and construction of the internal boundary roads and the development of services and utilities. EIA is also advancing plans to modify the Queen Elizabeth II Highway / Airport Rd. interchange to provide direct access to the site for customers coming from the Edmonton market and beyond.

“We are very pleased with the momentum of this exciting project, a natural evolution of our Mills and Outlet Collection banners,” declared Paul Gleeson, Executive Vice President, Global Development, Ivanhoé Cambridge. “Based on the overwhelming success of our first Outlet Collection at Niagara, which opened in May 2014, and the Outlet Collection at Winnipeg which is to break ground this coming summer, we look forward to bringing this shopping experience with irresistible outlet brands to the people of the greater Edmonton market.”

“The Outlet Collection is a major development project that will not only attract new passengers and generate revenue that we can reinvest in our airport, it will help us continue to drive economic growth for the region. Our airport already creates over 10,000 jobs and generates over $1.5 billion in economic output,” said Tom Ruth, President and CEO of Edmonton International Airport.

Edmontonians are the highest retail-spending citizens per capita in Canada, and the city ranks as 5th largest retail market in Canada. With 8.2 million passengers a year, EIA is the fastest-growing major airport in Canada. More than 74,000 vehicles pass by EIA on the Queen Elizabeth II Highway every day.
    http://ivanhoecambridge.com/en/news-...lection-at-eia

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Ugh. I'm the opposite of excited for this.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I think it will be great, I know a lot of people who drive to Cross Iron Mills to go shopping.

So just to put the size of this mall in perspective.

• The EIA mall is 415,000 square feet.
    • Londonderry is 735,000 square feet.
    • City Centre is 812,000 square feet.
    • Southgate Centre is 940,000 square feet.
    • Kingsway mall is 963,000 square feet
    • Cross Iron Mills is 1,178,000 square feet.

Canal water feature!!!
    www.decl.org

I mean specifically for me. I don't want to drive to the Airport to go shopping. I certainly will never drive to Cross Iron Mills to go shopping.

I'm worried about the increased traffic issues this will cause on that stretch of the QE2. It's already bad enough with a 110km/hr limit, but that right lane being sometimes at a near standstill due to people using the off/ramps. Because then you have a huge speed disparity in neighbouring lanes which = accidents waiting to happen.

I love this project for what it will do for airport finances and regional employment.

Also compared to Crossiron, I'm very pleased to see the clerestory windows. Hopefully they resist the urge for the tacky anti-art garbage "design features" prevalent in Crossiron as well.

It would still be a matter of which brands they attract whether I'd spend much time there, but 100 instead of 65 shops does increase the chances.

So-far, so-good.

The hallway looks somewhat narrow.

Anyone heard which retailers are going in?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Looks like Jetz, Jakes, Bleu Bleu Bleu, Europa, Jax and Daves to name a few

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Looks like Jetz, Jakes, Bleu Bleu Bleu, Europa, Jax and Daves to name a few
    Cloud Nine interests me the most...

Quote Originally Posted by Oilers99 View Post
    I'd expect a similar roster to the Crossiron outlets (i.e., not the Crossiron big boxes.) Hoping for a Saks Off 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oilers99 View Post
    I'd expect a similar roster to the Crossiron outlets (i.e., not the Crossiron big boxes.) Hoping for a Saks Off 5th.
    Nordstrom Rack has already been delayed to 2017 at the earliest, so I wouldn't hold my breath for a Saks Off 5th.

^ I've heard the opposite about Sak's Off. I guess Off will be here well before On.

^ I've heard the opposite about Sak's Off. I guess Off will be here well before On.
    Well that's good news. Their first two stores will be in Eaton Centre and Sherway Gardens in Toronto. Hopefully we eventually get a Nordstroms and Saks "On" in Edmonton as well.

The market can support it with the numbers Holts (with an upcoming expansion), Rosens (another rumored expansion coming after the big one they did in 2009) Singers, The Helm, etc. all do.

There is room for the upscale retailers in Edmonton and all these stores have shown high-end retailers can thrive in Edmonton.
    Last edited by Oilers99; 21-01-2015 at 05:05 PM.

^ well said.

We're already a much better dressed city than our stereotype, and soon with the way downtown is going, we'll have somewhere to dress up to go to as well.

Holding out hope for a Brooks Brothers. I hate going down to CrossIron to get their stuff.
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E SME

This mall will in many ways be the new major mall for Beaumont and Leduc and if there are any unique stores to only this mall, then south Edmonton too. But for the most part this a great way to get new shopping options to those small communities without actually going into those small communities.

My major problem with this, is something EIA doesn't have much control over. QE2 is already very jammed up every morning and afternoon rush hour and the provincial government doesn't appear they will be improving it in the near future.
    As for the development, I'm okay with the design, it appears the airport will never need to use that corner of land for either terminals, hangars, runways or parking so why not develop it. It would have been nicer if they figured a way to directly connect it to the existing terminal though.

News articles:
    EIA President and CEO Tom Ruth said the developments are part of a larger plan to turn the airport into an “aerotropolis” - described as an “airport city” - with complementary developments. “I think there’s really two major cities in Canada that are working and effectively building an aerotropolis. And that would be Vancouver and Edmonton,” he said
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/01/2...es-set-for-eia
    The 210,000-square-foot facility, custom-built by Panattoni Development Company, will be a hub between the company’s ground cargo and its new venture of air freight. It gives western Canadian shippers the ability to send cargo to Edmonton that can be put on a plane to any destination within 24 hours.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin..._lsa=31b8-3d44

Wow those renderings look amazing. Definitely 10x better than CrossIron Mills, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    My major problem with this, is something EIA doesn't have much control over. QE2 is already very jammed up every morning and afternoon rush hour and the provincial government doesn't appear they will be improving it in the near future.
    As for the development, I'm okay with the design, it appears the airport will never need to use that corner of land for either terminals, hangars, runways or parking so why not develop it. It would have been nicer if they figured a way to directly connect it to the existing terminal though.
    I too am concerned about the interchange at the airport. It is already at capacity much of the day. How will it handle the extra vehicles? This could be a big problem. I would be super ticked off if I was delayed for a flight cause of shopping mall traffic blocking the interchange up. That won't go over well.

I too am concerned about the interchange at the airport. It is already at capacity much of the day. How will it handle the extra vehicles? This could be a big problem. I would be super ticked off if I was delayed for a flight cause of shopping mall traffic blocking the interchange up. That won't go over well.

Like the 10 mile back up at Cross Iron during boxing day...

The Nisku exit is certainly at capacity between 730-830 am (SB) and 330-530pm (NB), but the airport one? The many times I've driven to the airport, there's maybe one other car exiting with me. I can't see many people going shopping at 8am on a weekday. I don't know if the traffic at that overpass will be any worse. Just might be busy for longer in the evenings and in to the weekends.

(bump)

It doesn't sound like those changes to the interchange will increase capacity. Just adding a light and a straight through option.

This outlet mall is what South Common should have been, with big box stores anchoring outside corners.

Glad to see people moving towards an intelligent way of making my least favourite type of development. If you have to build a turd, at least make it a nice one.

Rumours of Costco on this site

I also heard rumours of a new Costco but closer to the city. I would be interesting if it did go here.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Again for the sake of airport finances it would be a good thing, but no doubt that would be a large traffic multiplier as well.

Interesting.

Natural demographic fit for an outlet mall, for sure.

C2E SME

Costco would probably be on or near this site, closer to Leduc than Edmonton, for the logic that there is already a Costco at 91st and 24ave. One of the busiest in Canada from what I heard but still one nearby.

It's actually a really good idea to put another Costco on the south side. That one on 91st is so busy, it's just annoying to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Costco would probably be on or near this site, closer to Leduc than Edmonton, for the logic that there is already a Costco at 91st and 24ave. One of the busiest in Canada from what I heard but still one nearby.
    The third busiest in the world according to the clerk I was talking to.
    With the new 41ave interchange the airport will be more conveniant for the people in Rutherford and all those new subdivisions to the west.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    The third busiest in the world according to the clerk I was talking to.
    With the new 41ave interchange the airport will be more conveniant for the people in Rutherford and all those new subdivisions to the west.
    Actually that would be nice around that interchange. On another retailer note, I wonder if there is any chance to see Bass Pro show up here in the Edmonton region? One would be nice somewhere around this area too.

Yet another massive destination built without LRT access, nor future LRT access incorporated into the design (that I'm aware of). Every time we make a move to improve transit, a new blockbuster development with no transit option is announced. One step forward, three steps back...
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^completely agree, although i imagine they figure by the time LRT ever gets down to the airport, this mall will be 50+ years old and ready to be knocked down.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Yet another massive destination built without LRT access, nor future LRT access incorporated into the design (that I'm aware of). Every time we make a move to improve transit, a new blockbuster development with no transit option is announced. One step forward, three steps back...
    They are planning for future LRT. You can even see the station in the renderings above.

You can see the transit plan in this document:

http://flyeia.com/sites/default/file...ivesummary.pdf
    Last edited by TheGreatestX; 25-01-2015 at 11:39 PM.

Angry

Priority pole.... Seriously.
    www.decl.org

Administrator *

Why does everyone want LRT to the airport? The trip would probably take close to an hour! I believe the top speed of an LRV is 80 km/h.

How do you get an hour?

grish

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    Why does everyone want LRT to the airport? The trip would probably take close to an hour! I believe the top speed of an LRV is 80 km/h.
    An hour from where? Along what route? How would it compare with car?

For example, from century park LRT station, along the regular roads, moving at 80km/hr LRT gets you to the airport in 16.5 min. Then add 23 min to Churchill (i.e. physical centre of the city), you get a total of, say, 40 min. From Clareview it is 50 min.
    Last edited by grish; 26-01-2015 at 08:28 AM.

It would be most useful for those without a car of their own, and in that case, speed is secondary to cost and convenience.

LRT to the aiport yes, to this development...no thanks.
    www.decl.org

No. There are other 'existing' areas within the City that we need to focus on connecting versus this. So there are zero steps back.

Every plan I have seen shows LRT running alongside it. There will be a LRT leg running from here into the terminal.

highlander

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    No. There are other 'existing' areas within the City that we need to focus on connecting versus this. So there are zero steps back.
    If we're building new unconnected places faster than we're connecting existing places you bet we're taking a step back.

Developers can't wait 40 years for governments to get their $hit together well enough to build LRT. As of Jan 1, 2014 we technically still have just one basic line, since the 1970s

Top speed of the U2 cars is about 90 km/h the SD160 105 km/h

London has both subway and commuter train access to Heathrow, both do serve slightly different purposes. Some people want fast access to an airport and money isn't an issue, some people want cheap access and time isn't an issue. The LRT for example you'd want to stop at the Aerotropolis and perhaps somewhere near the garages and the terminal, HST would only have a one stop at the terminal..

I think there should be land allocated for both LRT and HST in the future to the airport.

After my experiences flying to Vancouver, it is hard not to be envious of that transportation option to/from downtown.

You are right, this would be different based on how much further our downtown is located from the airport compared to Vancouver...but still...the thought of being able to hop on the LRT, not worry about traffic & parking...that seems pretty enticing to me.

^me too. Wish it was something we could do for the commonwealth games, but I really doubt it will happen.

^^not to mention the cost to the consumer

LRT is less than 10 bucks, there/back
    Cab is more than 100 bucks, there/back

Cost me approximately 65 bucks to get to airport from downtown using a cab. Absolutely ridiculous, sign me up for the Uber train.

Vancouver did not get the Canada line until the volume of passengers at the airport reached 16,000,000. We are about half that right now so why does anyone on this forum think this is viable or even necessary at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by barhonda View Post

Cost me approximately 65 bucks to get to airport from downtown using a cab. Absolutely ridiculous, sign me up for the Uber train.
    LRT to CP, $3.20, 747 bus $5 = $8.20 and only 55mins
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barhonda View Post

LRT to CP, $3.20, 747 bus $5 = $8.20 and only 55mins
    Depending on the duration of the trip, i just decided to use the park and ride at the airport.

Vancouver did not get the Canada line until the volume of passengers at the airport reached 16,000,000. We are about half that right now so why does anyone on this forum think this is viable or even necessary at this point in time.
    Would extending the line south of the airport to near Leduc Common and building a park n' ride increase the usage enough to justify the line in a decade or two?

I would say there are lots of things I want that are not viable or necessary...but it doesn't make me want them any less...

If Edmonton is hoping to annex all the way to the airport lands, I don't think hoping for an LRT that extends to the airport is as absurd as you make it out to be. Is it going to happen soon? Absolutely not. I am sceptical that the west leg of the LRT gets built in under 15 years. But I don't think people are being unreasonable on this forum thinking it would be nice to have public transportation from our downtown to our major airport.

I honestly think if Annexation happens, LRT could be closer than we think. It's easy to build track across prairie, and as mentioned the SD160s are already fast enough.

In a way I think it should be considered an obligation as part of ECCA closure.

Then if we win the Commonwealth Games bid, I think I would want both the airport and WEM lines in that discussion.

Administrator *

I was just guessing a travel time of about an hour. Maybe it would be less. I just think LRT all the way to the airport wouldn't make sense because of the pure distance. The cost per km of LRT is pretty expensive, especially compared to heavy rail trains. Why not just use CP ROW and build a spur to the airport. Cheaper, and faster.

LRT to the airport won't happen till SLRT first reaches Heritage Valley south of the AHD.

So, awhile. Even then, you'd probably need dedicated cars that have secure luggage racks.

But dam straight, I'd use it. When you consider the time to park, wait for a shuttle bus and then ride to the departures level - LRT makes eminent sense.

Eventually ...
    ... gobsmacked

Administrator *

All I'm saying is use heavy rail, not LRT. You would still have a reliable downtown-airport link. Just faster and cheaper.

I disagree. It should be built right through the to be annexed land to yeg. Think of how the new neighborhoods along the way would benefit with 3 or 4 stations

^ Can't argue with that.

If/when Edmonton annexes land to the south, one would have to assume there will be area dedicated for a rail connection to the airport in all of the planning documents. That has to make it exponentially cheaper than trying to fit it into existing neighborhoods that weren't necessary designed to facilitate it.

All I'm saying is use heavy rail, not LRT. You would still have a reliable downtown-airport link. Just faster and cheaper.
    Would the reduction of construction cost and of a heavy line and increased speed be the additional cost of running an entirely different kind of rail car? You'd need an additional maintenance facility, different mechanical training, etc. Whereas if you use LRT, you can use the same kind of cars over the whole line.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    So, awhile. Even then, you'd probably need dedicated cars that have secure luggage racks.
    Why would you need secure luggage storage on the Airport train? The 747 bus to the airport from Century Park doesn't have any that I could see.

again though, LRT through tunnels, over bridges, inside built areas is expensive. Over farmland? Very different case.

Plus it's a big advantage to be connected to multiple stations for ridership. If you have to, say, drive downtown to take a train to an airport, why not just drive to the airport? But if you're one of the 100,000 people who already ride the LRT daily, or of the tens of thousands more who live or work near a station, again a very different case.

I suspect the Metro Line will be held up as evidence that we need private oversight & profit built into our essential public infrastructure, making the prospect of stretching our existing line out to the Airport a non-starter.

Why enhance & upgrade ETS when the Feds can give billions up front & juicy 30 year contracts to their buddies at the national-level engineering firms like SNC Lavalin?

I can see the Metro line being grudgingly continued through Edmonton & out to St Albert, but I can't see the Feds funding a run to the airport without scratching their own itches. We definitely need to think about effective public transportation to the airport, but as the Harper Government has shown (via our new Streetcar-cum-LRT projects), effective public transportation takes a back seat to privatizing profit & socializing risk.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^^^ Route 747 does, IIRC have luggage racks. Also, again IIRC, yellow lines down the aisle inside of which you can't put down your luggage .

Safety issue I'd imagine.
    ... gobsmacked

^ Yup, taken it many time. No luggage outside the rack aloud.

^^
    ^
    Thanks, never been on it myself, and from the outside it looks like a standard bus, so I didn't know they had luggage racks. Makes sense; if the bus is involved in an accident at 110 kph, you don't want all the luggage flying everywhere

Heavy rail to where downtown?
    Faster maybe, but connecting the tracks downtown and buying land/building a station make the cheaper part a little iffy for me.

^ To Grandin/Legislature there is already a built track. (not that I'm suddenly endorsing it, but it should be cheaper)

^^ I think you're still correct that the LRT wouldn't need luggage racks.

Canada Line doesn't have luggage racks & it seems to work just fine.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Administrator *

My idea, would be to use CPR's ROW from Grandin over the HLB, have a station at Whyte, and maybe another park-and-ride type station at Ellerslie. I could still see an LRT south of Heritage Valley, perhaps even as far as the airport, but for residents of the south side only. People from downtown or north side would take the faster airport train on heavy rail.

Also, it would allow central Whyte Ave to be connected to the rest of the city with rail transit.

^ To Grandin/Legislature there is already a built track. (not that I'm suddenly endorsing it, but it should be cheaper)

^^ I think you're still correct that the LRT wouldn't need luggage racks.
    Sure, but for HSR has the plan always been to use the CP ROW out of downtown to the southside? With their development plans for the north part of the yard I can't imagine they are going to want trains whizzing through it.

One big problem tho, CP has already torn out track and has a planned development going in which ends all heavy rail plans to DT

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast