Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Results 801 to 900 of 1053

Thread: Edmonton International Airport Retail / Hotel Development

  1. #801
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    38

    Default

    http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...tional-airport

    New Fairfield Inn coming at Edmonton International Airport


  2. #802
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    4,424

    Default

    Moonshine distillery adds to unique businesses coming to Edmonton International Airport

    http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/e...onal-1.4385412
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

  3. #803
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,549

    Default

    Pot and now moonshine. What could be next. Opium poppy farms? The world is in need for legal medicine and it's becoming harder to get from Afghanistan.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 05-11-2017 at 08:40 AM.

  4. #804

    Default

    A pot farm and Moonshine distillery will make Edmonton International Airport the coolest (pun intended!) airport in the world!

    All the airport needs now is.......




    Source: https://fanart.tv/movie/12657/soul-plane/
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

  5. #805
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    430

    Default

    Ice District South

  6. #806
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Moonshine distillery adds to unique businesses coming to Edmonton International Airport

    http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/e...onal-1.4385412
    This will greatly reduce Degroot's ground based shipping costs to export markets. Hello Soeul, Osaka, Shanghai, and Houston!

  7. #807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AUsenik View Post
    Ice District South
    Market another edmonton indy for a few years , bankrupt the airport - and turn it into a massive resi project?????

  8. #808
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    4,424

    Default COSTCO to build new warehouse at Edmonton International Airport

    Shoppers will have a new location in late 2018 for grocery and household shopping, fuel and pharmacy & optical services at Edmonton International Airport (EIA). Construction has begun on what will be Costco’s seventh facility in the Edmonton Metro Region.
    http://flyeia.com/news/costco-build-new-warehouse-edmonton-international-airport#sm.00003d7005szfd74s9n2qkfvunhy6

    so much for being delayed postponed or cancelled.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

  9. #809

    Default

    That's good news.

  10. #810
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,549

    Default

    I know of guys that have been working at this site for many months now. A concrete pony wall was poured along airport road maybe six weeks ago. A lot of work in the ground at these projects at EIA with very little to no existing infrastructure.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 16-11-2017 at 06:20 PM.

  11. #811

    Default

    I drove past the airport a few days ago and noticed the new mall is progressing. However, I couldn't help thinking that it looks just like the Edmonton Maximum Security Prison. The walls, the guard towers, it's all there. The next time you drive by, see if you agree that it appears to be modeled after a corrections facility.

  12. #812
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Windermere
    Posts
    1,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice View Post
    I drove past the airport a few days ago and noticed the new mall is progressing. However, I couldn't help thinking that it looks just like the Edmonton Maximum Security Prison. The walls, the guard towers, it's all there. The next time you drive by, see if you agree that it appears to be modeled after a corrections facility.
    Looks like a mall to me.

  13. #813
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,549

    Default

    Is it that you are just paranoid about ending up back inside? lol

  14. #814
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice View Post
    I drove past the airport a few days ago and noticed the new mall is progressing. However, I couldn't help thinking that it looks just like the Edmonton Maximum Security Prison. The walls, the guard towers, it's all there. The next time you drive by, see if you agree that it appears to be modeled after a corrections facility.
    Looks like a mall to me.
    Ditto. It's similar to every other 'outlet' mall they and others have built over the past few years.

  15. #815
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Problem is the decorative stuff and store signs aren't up yet which will change its correctional institution look significantly.

  16. #816
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    45,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice View Post
    I drove past the airport a few days ago and noticed the new mall is progressing. However, I couldn't help thinking that it looks just like the Edmonton Maximum Security Prison. The walls, the guard towers, it's all there. The next time you drive by, see if you agree that it appears to be modeled after a corrections facility.
    Bingo. Awful looking thing.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  17. #817
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,549

    Default

    I like it. It's a beautiful thing and I can't wait for it to open.

  18. #818
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,549

    Default

    It looks better than that provincial museum concrete bunker, but of course that's downtown so that makes it beautiful. Haha
    Last edited by Drumbones; 18-11-2017 at 01:46 PM.

  19. #819
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    45,896

    Default

    Actually no. The new outlet mall design is atrocious.

    As for the RAM, it is an elegant and timeless design.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  20. #820
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Actually no. The new outlet mall design is atrocious.

    As for the RAM, it is an elegant and timeless design.
    Oh for ***** sake It is a ****** mall - did you expect a Gehry design. Just look at that atrocious mall at Balzac- Cross Iron or something

  21. #821
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    45,896

    Default

    The low bar has been lowered.

    It is a prominent location next to our International airport.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  22. #822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    The low bar has been lowered.

    It is a prominent location next to our International airport.
    Then isn’t it very much like the case of our new museum? But it’s new and it’s there. Which wasn’t the case before. So everyone should be happy.

    BTW the new museum isn’t elegant or timeless in design. We can revisit this issue in 20 years and you’ll see my point.

  23. #823
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, ab
    Posts
    688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ridgeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Actually no. The new outlet mall design is atrocious.

    As for the RAM, it is an elegant and timeless design.
    Oh for ***** sake It is a ****** mall - did you expect a Gehry design. Just look at that atrocious mall at Balzac- Cross Iron or something
    No way!!! This is the definition of insanity...it's a mall, an outlet for that matter....seen a few malls in my lifetime - don't know of too many "sexy, good looking malls."

  24. #824
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,642

    Default

    This debate is absolutely useless without PICS!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  25. #825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    This debate is absolutely useless without PICS!
    I second that.

  26. #826
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,788

    Default

    So I heard a rumour that the proposed new Costco was not going ahead at this location due to higher property and lease costs. Can anyone confirm or refute this rumour. I heard it from only a secondary source but still I thought it's worth finding out further if there is any validity to the statement.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  27. #827
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,549

    Default

    I believe that to be incorrect. It is now well into construction. The deal that fell through was another location previous and the dispute was with the city of Leduc, they then moved to the airport location.

  28. #828
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,549

    Default

    Driving by the airport just now I noticed a large orange for lease sign by the costco site. Maybe the rumour is true.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 27-12-2017 at 08:15 PM.

  29. #829

    Default

    Costco is still good to go, construction is on hold till the spring.

  30. #830

    Default

    On May 2 of this year, as well, a new mall will open just outside of Edmonton at the entrance to Edmonton International Airport. Premium Outlet Collection at Edmonton International Airport, which is a partnership with Ivanhoé Cambridgeand Simon Property Group, will see about 428,000 square feet of leasable space. Tenants will be announced shortly (they toured some locals through the site last week, on a condition that they sign non-disclosure agreements).
    https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...ecast-analysis

  31. #831

    Default

    May 2nd. Is that the first time we got an open date on this? Or did we know that already?

  32. #832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Construction began in spring 2016 on the highly anticipated Premium Outlet Collection – Edmonton International Airport, developed in partnership by Simon and Ivanhoé Cambridge, scheduled to open May 2, 2018. Many of the property’s 100 retail tenants will be making their Alberta debuts.

    http://flyeia.com/sites/default/file...ia-mar2017.pdf
    From March 2017

  33. #833

    Default

    Guess we knew that already.

  34. #834
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,549

    Default

    Yes it was originally sept 2017 but then they moved it to may

  35. #835
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S3RI3S View Post
    Costco is still good to go, construction is on hold till the spring.
    Wondering about that big blue for lease sign beside their site.

  36. #836
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Driving by the airport just now I noticed a large orange for lease sign by the costco site. Maybe the rumour is true.
    It's a blue one now

  37. #837

    Default

    CHACHI's will be one of the restaurants/food services at Premium Outlets EIA

    http://chachis.ca/locations.html

  38. #838

    Default

    The Edmonton DSW location will be at the highly anticipated Premium Outlet Collection — Edmonton International Airport, which opens to the public on May 2, 2018. DSW will occupy space ‘Anchor H’ according to plans, with the outlet centre having the address ‘1 Outlet Collection Way’.

    The Premium Outlet Collection EIA has yet to release details on its other anchors and retailers, and is expected to make announcements closer to its official unveiling. A few retailers have confirmed that they will be opening at the centre, including Old Navy, Nike, Under Armour, ECCO and H&M, as well as at least two of TJX’s off-price brands. Nordstrom Rack and Saks OFF 5TH will not be opening at the outlet centre — Saks OFF 5TH has a store nearby at South Edmonton Common, and Nordstrom Rack will open (what will likely be its only Edmonton location) at South Edmonton Common in the fall of 2018.
    https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...mpton-edmonton

  39. #839

    Default

    A few outlet stores are hiring:

    Nike
    Naturalizer
    Samsonite
    Skechers
    Gap
    Columbia Sportswear
    Lindt Chocolate
    Levi's
    LIDS
    Peoples Jewellers

    https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Outlet+...2C+AB&start=10
    https://www.wowjobs.ca/BrowseResults...WVyxaWNaf_3jUg
    Last edited by sonicboom; 28-02-2018 at 04:24 PM.

  40. #840
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,510

    Default

    All rather boring and ho hum stores. This mall is DOA if this is the type of mix and there are no big draws.

  41. #841
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, ab
    Posts
    688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    All rather boring and ho hum stores. This mall is DOA if this is the type of mix and there are no big draws.
    Huh? A mall is a mall is a mall......same stores in every mall I've ever been too...Not sure what malls you go to...but it's the same **** different pile......you looking for high end Vuitton stuff?

  42. #842
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    216

    Default

    I think the point being made is that there isn’t a lot of destination type stores that will draw people from other malls and past south Edmonton common. Also they have maintained the “premium” branding in the name of the mall but haven’t seen much in the way of premium offerings. What is premium? Someone more in the know retail wise might be better answer that but surface level these type of stores don’t seem to fit the bill.

  43. #843

    Default

    Premium is what the aitport is which is middle class or somewhat higher. High end is way different. Even within those that are high end, there are different levels of clientele; some can van afford more extravagance than others
    Premium is normally middle or slightly higher class.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  44. #844
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,726

    Default

    I'd like to see a few movie theatres get built at the site of the mall. It will definitely be an entertaiment district as well as a shopping district.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

  45. #845
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Premium is what the aitport is which is middle class or somewhat higher. High end is way different. Even within those that are high end, there are different levels of clientele; some can van afford more extravagance than others. Premium is normally middle or slightly higher class.
    Your blowing smoke again. Here is Simons (same developer/operator) description of the Toronto Premium Mall.

    “TORONTO PREMIUM OUTLETS®
    HALTON HILLS (TORONTO), ONTARIO, CANADA
    Canada’s first upscale outlet shopping destination and one of the highest-performing outlet centers in North America, Toronto Premium Outlets will open a 140,000-square- foot Phase 2 expansion in 2018.
    Center features Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5TH, AllSaints, Armani, Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers, Burberry, Coach, GUESS, HUGO BOSS, J.Crew, kate spade new york, Michael Kors, Nike, Polo Ralph Lauren, Restoration Hardware, Ted Baker London, Tory Burch, and Under Armour Expansion focusing on bringing exclusive upscale outlet brands to the market
    Joint venture with SmartREIT”.

    Page 22. http://f2d62a308d3c313ac136-fe453cfe...-Portfolio.pdf
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 02-03-2018 at 04:53 AM.

  46. #846

    Default

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...mall-1.4556633

    They said that they will unveil the names of the retailers within a few weeks.

  47. #847

    Default

    Ok! Where is Channel, Hermes, Fendi, Prada, Versace and LV ? The stores you mention they're higher ends, but their not destination stores to me. Which of these stores aside from Armani have back room viewing for real expensive **** that makes the wealthy go to those particular stores where one needs to have appointments set to view? What smoke were you talking about? The stores you mentioned, except Armani, are entry level of high end. Which of these stores have custom tailors to take your measument for contours?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  48. #848
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Ok! Where is Channel, Hermes, Fendi, Prada, Versace and LV ? The stores you mention they're higher ends, but their not destination stores to me. Which of these stores aside from Armani have back room viewing for real expensive **** that makes the wealthy go to those particular stores where one needs to have appointments set to view? What smoke were you talking about? The stores you mentioned, except Armani, are entry level of high end. Which of these stores have custom tailors to take your measument for contours?
    Talk to Simons that is their definition and language - don’t whine or blow your bs smoke to me. So far Edmonton is not getting the Premium Upscale stores I bolded below that Toronto is. Maybe they will be announced ... or not. As for custom tailors - I have not seen one at the dozens of outlet malls I have visited.

  49. #849

    Default

    Toronto has them because if high numbers of wealthy people we don't have in our city hence why those stores are there; what does Simons have anything to do with this? They carry basic high end brand that could be purchased @ Holts, or Henri Singer. Your the one accusing me of blowing smoke, so I asked you the question of where are those true destination stores that people will fly into the city just to purchase? You accused me of not know what luxury is when that is where my fortunes derived fro which is apparel.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  50. #850
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Toronto has them because if high numbers of wealthy people we don't have in our city hence why those stores are there; what does Simons have anything to do with this? They carry basic high end brand that could be purchased @ Holts, or Henri Singer. Your the one accusing me of blowing smoke, so I asked you the question of where are those true destination stores that people will fly into the city just to purchase? You accused me of not know what luxury is when that is where my fortunes derived fro which is apparel.
    Simons USA is the mall developer - operator in a JV with Ivanhoé. http://investors.simon.com/phoenix.z...cle&ID=2130782

  51. #851

    Default

    You didn't get what I was trying to tell you that the stores you mentioned are not destination stores; maybe for you. We have Two locations of Simons already, so there are your destinations. You said you wanted destination, so how can that be when they're abundant already? Or where you meaning to say directional instead if destination?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  52. #852
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    All rather boring and ho hum stores. This mall is DOA if this is the type of mix and there are no big draws.
    I was working in southern Alberta during the construction of Crossiron Mills and hearing all the negatives there as well. Turns out Crossiron became the busiest mall in the Calgary area. The Costco took over a barley field way out yonder and it was packed every day too. It will be the same thing at EIA I'm sure. Crossiron is doing expansion now, as will this mall, just watch.

  53. #853

    Default

    It is the same as every city in North America.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  54. #854
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,549

    Default

    Like Tsawwassen Mills. I was by there last summer and it's way out yonder, but now doing an expansion already. I think people like to go out a bit for a drive and all that free parking is so great. It's freedom. Look at the success of WEM. It was out yonder too. But all that free parking. It's super. Who would ever want to shop downtown is beyond me. Unless you live and work there of course. But people still LRT it to Southgate and Kingsway so I don't know what the solution is. Maybe a 20 floor FREE no time limit parking garage on a gravel lot. Lol. But then you would need to build a new freeway to it. Build more condos and rental towers downtown and get people living there and better shops. My wife makes me take her to Holts and that Louis Vuitton place and such, but she hates CCM because of all the creeps hanging around. lol. There is that one shoe store she goes to because they have closed elsewhere. I'm se of leduc so very excited for the opening of the mall at EIA on May 2 and of Costco later on. Southgate has been our go to lately with WEM being so freaking busy and so much walking too, not for her but for me. SEC we dislike as well. It's one big traffic jam.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 07-03-2018 at 12:01 PM.

  55. #855

    Default

    He forgets that our metro area has grown. Red Deer has grown and is probably an hour away from this area or less.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  56. #856

    Default

    About 1h20 from the centre of Red Deer to the airport.

    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  57. #857
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    45,896

    Default

    Another fine way to keep people out of our fair city.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  58. #858
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,368

    Default

    Or to draw even more people from the wider region and province to Edmonton, which like it or not, does now include YEG. Or is the DBA seriously looking to pick a fight with EIA?

  59. #859

    Default

    ^^
    Im aware of that, but have you see where Red Deer' boundaries to the north now is now? Leducs Boundry to the south has also expanded hence that comment. Not only that, Lacombe has grown to over 20k.

    ^
    If you want to get technical. So i guess the airport is serving just Leduc?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  60. #860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    You didn't get what I was trying to tell you that the stores you mentioned are not destination stores; maybe for you. We have Two locations of Simons already, so there are your destinations. You said you wanted destination, so how can that be when they're abundant already? Or where you meaning to say directional instead if destination?
    Simons the Developer and Simons the Store are two very different things.

  61. #861

    Default

    I understand, but the poster in which i responded thinks Simons, the retaile, r was a destination store along with Coach and others we already have. He was stating, " ho hum boring " when those stores requested for this location would just be replicas of existing stocks already available. WEM, Southgate, and Londondary are those destinations; so how will those store be any different than our outlets of repetitions? Give me Fendi, Hermes, LV, D&G, Prada, Gucci then they become the real deal. I dont mean the t-shirts and entry level products of those establishments either as they exist in the city already. I want the real deal.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  62. #862
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    45,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Or to draw even more people from the wider region and province to Edmonton, which like it or not, does now include YEG. Or is the DBA seriously looking to pick a fight with EIA?
    WEM is our regional draw, this is less so.

    Comments are my own here and while it is nice to see development around YEG, it will do what we have seen in Calgary where there is continued erosion within the city for people to head to this instead.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  63. #863
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I understand, but the poster in which i responded thinks Simons, the retaile, r was a destination store along with Coach and others we already have. He was stating, " ho hum boring " when those stores requested for this location would just be replicas of existing stocks already available. WEM, Southgate, and Londondary are those destinations; so how will those store be any different than our outlets of repetitions? Give me Fendi, Hermes, LV, D&G, Prada, Gucci then they become the real deal. I dont mean the t-shirts and entry level products of those establishments either as they exist in the city already. I want the real deal.
    Nearest Prada is in Vancouver. I can't see one coming here before Cowtown, which means the rest are likely in the same boat.

  64. #864

    Default

    Yup amongst other true high ends.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  65. #865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Like Tsawwassen Mills. I was by there last summer and it's way out yonder, but now doing an expansion already. I think people like to go out a bit for a drive and all that free parking is so great. It's freedom. Look at the success of WEM. It was out yonder too. But all that free parking. It's super. Who would ever want to shop downtown is beyond me. Unless you live and work there of course. But people still LRT it to Southgate and Kingsway so I don't know what the solution is. Maybe a 20 floor FREE no time limit parking garage on a gravel lot. Lol. But then you would need to build a new freeway to it. Build more condos and rental towers downtown and get people living there and better shops. My wife makes me take her to Holts and that Louis Vuitton place and such, but she hates CCM because of all the creeps hanging around. lol. There is that one shoe store she goes to because they have closed elsewhere. I'm se of leduc so very excited for the opening of the mall at EIA on May 2 and of Costco later on. Southgate has been our go to lately with WEM being so freaking busy and so much walking too, not for her but for me. SEC we dislike as well. It's one big traffic jam.
    I was living in Calgary around the time they started planning Cross Iron Mills. We all thought "They are building a mall in Balzac? Who is going to drive to Balzac to shop at a mall?"... and we were wrong.

  66. #866

  67. #867

    Default

    When WEM was built, 170 st was the end of the cty. The Superstore junction had an overpass and the highway commenced right there.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  68. #868
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Or to draw even more people from the wider region and province to Edmonton, which like it or not, does now include YEG. Or is the DBA seriously looking to pick a fight with EIA?
    WEM is our regional draw, this is less so.

    Comments are my own here and while it is nice to see development around YEG, it will do what we have seen in Calgary where there is continued erosion within the city for people to head to this instead.
    Continued erosion within the city of Calgary? What do you call what Edmonton has then? Continued nuclear halocaust zones. lol. You need to get out more. Calgary is pretty cosmopolitan these days.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 07-03-2018 at 06:00 PM.

  69. #869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Another fine way to keep people out of our fair city.
    By which he means "keep people out of downtown" . because if it's not downtown, it's really not Edmonton.

  70. #870
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,549

    Default

    As of Jan 1 2019 the Edmonton city limits will coincide with the EIA boundary. Developments are already starting north of hwy 19 west of QE2 , new Edmonton territory. Imagine how fast residential will flood past 41ave sw and head south. I give it 10 years and things will be joined up on the west side of hwy2. I think 20,000 people live downtown, 920,000 do not. Metro, 20,000 live downtown, 1,391,000 do not considering the latest statscan estimate of 1,411,000. Downtown is important, but let's be open minded, there is so much out there, and growing and growing. Embrace it and enjoy it all.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 07-03-2018 at 06:35 PM.

  71. #871

    Default

    If the whole region is healthy, Edmonton is healthy much akin to one's individual block. If you have a bad neighbor in your block it reflects on the entire block.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  72. #872

  73. #873
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,788

    Default

    When I drove past yesterday the mall definitely looks pretty well ready from the outside, my guess is finishing touches and individual retailer fit ups going on right now. This will actually be exciting to see considering this will be the first new shopping mall to be opened in the Edmonton region in over a couple decades at least.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  74. #874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    A few outlet stores are hiring:

    Nike
    Naturalizer
    Samsonite
    Skechers
    Gap
    Columbia Sportswear
    Lindt Chocolate
    Levi's
    LIDS
    Peoples Jewellers

    https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Outlet+...2C+AB&start=10
    https://www.wowjobs.ca/BrowseResults...WVyxaWNaf_3jUg
    Mountain Warehouse
    American Eagle Outfitters
    NoMiNoU
    Forever 21 Red
    Banana Republic
    RW&Co
    Guess
    ECCO Shoes
    Designer Shoe Wareshouse
    Arctic Spas
    A&W
    David's Tea

  75. #875
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    2,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    A few outlet stores are hiring:

    Nike
    Naturalizer
    Samsonite
    Skechers
    Gap
    Columbia Sportswear
    Lindt Chocolate
    Levi's
    LIDS
    Peoples Jewellers

    https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Outlet+...2C+AB&start=10
    https://www.wowjobs.ca/BrowseResults...WVyxaWNaf_3jUg
    Mountain Warehouse
    American Eagle Outfitters
    NoMiNoU
    Forever 21 Red
    Banana Republic
    RW&Co
    Guess
    ECCO Shoes
    Designer Shoe Wareshouse
    Arctic Spas
    A&W
    David's Tea
    Quite a good selection. Just needs one or two more destination stores and it will be be really busy. As it is I can imagine this place will be quite packed.

  76. #876
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,254

    Default

    Are there any spaces for an “anchor?”

  77. #877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Are there any spaces for an “anchor?”
    Once open, the 428,000-square-foot outlet mall will be home to more than 100 retailers and six anchor tenants.

    https://globalnews.ca/news/4085884/e...mall-job-fair/


  78. #878
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    216

    Default

    First 70 retailers officially announced. Another 30 or more yet to be released. Looks like there are a few within that 70 that won't be open until summer. Assume the 30 or more that aren't released won't be opening when the mall opens it's doors.

    http://www.ivanhoecambridge.com/en/n...tional-airport

  79. #879

    Default

    eh... nothing overly exciting.

  80. #880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thisisnotmyuseridlol View Post
    eh... nothing overly exciting.
    That's kinda their MO.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  81. #881

    Default

    It's like a mall, without the weather protection and human contact and walkability!
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

  82. #882

    Default

    Plus the added fun drive to the airport, a beloved pastime of Edmontonians since 1960!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  83. #883

    Default

    I shudder to think of the quality at an old navy outlet. I'm a cheap slob and I won't shop at a regular old navy.
    There can only be one.

  84. #884

    Default

    Ghetto...what a disappointment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Base View Post
    First 70 retailers officially announced. Another 30 or more yet to be released. Looks like there are a few within that 70 that won't be open until summer. Assume the 30 or more that aren't released won't be opening when the mall opens it's doors.

    http://www.ivanhoecambridge.com/en/n...tional-airport

  85. #885

    Default

    what a joke....Why do they call it "Premium" outlet. This is so not worth making the drive to if you can just go to SEC. I was hoping for some higher end brands. Why did they even say that there will be some stores so unique in the Alberta market when they first announced this mall?

  86. #886

    Default

    So Leduc has a new, inconveniently located local mall.

    Nice?
    There can only be one.

  87. #887
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,964

    Default



    Leduc's SEC.

  88. #888

    Default

    Of that list, less than 50% of the stores are "outlet" or "factory"

  89. #889

    Default

    That list is so disappointing! International Clothiers Factory Outlet??? Is it the same $10 crap that they have at Bonnie Doon Mall? Every other Premium Outlet Mall has a Coach store. I am surprised that we do not get a Coach, Michael Kors, Kate Spade...NOTHING. Coach is a very busy store in Calgary so that cannot be losing money. I heard when they first announced the mall that there would be a Tumi outlet. Most of the stores listed there are stores we already have in some form in Edmonton. Nothing different. At least Calgary has Bass Pro Shop. Our anchors are terrible. I have been to the Old Navy at Cross Iron Mills...this does not excite me.
    Last edited by cdm; 20-03-2018 at 09:43 PM.

  90. #890
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Are there any spaces for an “anchor?”
    Once open, the 428,000-square-foot outlet mall will be home to more than 100 retailers and six anchor tenants.

    https://globalnews.ca/news/4085884/e...mall-job-fair/

    I guess we have different definitions of anchors. Those don’t exactly qualify in my book. I doubt I will ever set foot in there.

  91. #891

    Default

    Yeah, this line-up looks pretty dull. Bass Pro is a MAJOR destination at Cross Iron. This list of tenants, by contrast, looks like they didn't even try. Like they wanted a "Cross Iron-style mall" but just ended up going with the most generic tenants possible and didn't put the effort into anything new.

  92. #892

    Default

    This thread started in 2013. It’s now 2018. For anyone that wasn’t here or isn’t aware of the changes to Alberta’s economy in the interim, oil prices have gone from $110/bbl to $60/bbl. our governments are borrowing and spending billions to keep the economy afloat.

    So why would anyone expect that this mall could actually attract the same tenants today as they hoped to attract in 2012-13 or so?

    When West Edmonton Mall opened in the early ‘80s it attracted some high end tenants but many quickly bailed as soon as the economy turned down. Such companies chase the free spending nouveau riche and most of those people disappear as they go bankrupt. Those companies looking at Alberta now aren’t likely seeing the requisite signs of the reckless spending that they need to meet their margins.

  93. #893

    Default

    When this mall was first announced, they said it would be 100% outlet stores versus the mix at Cross Iron. They made it sound like it would be better than Cross Iron. Last September I met a friend at Cross Iron for lunch. There was NO parking. My husband dropped me off and spent an afternoon at the racetrack. My friend was 20 minutes late due to driving around looking for a parking spot. It doesn't seem that cross iron was affected by the economy.

    When Winnipeg opened it's outlet mall, they said it wasn't a "Premium" outlet. Their store listing is better than ours. They have a Michael Kors, Ralph Lauren and a Lululemon outlet. We get International Clothiers...yeah!

  94. #894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    When this mall was first announced, they said it would be 100% outlet stores versus the mix at Cross Iron. They made it sound like it would be better than Cross Iron. Last September I met a friend at Cross Iron for lunch. There was NO parking. My husband dropped me off and spent an afternoon at the racetrack. My friend was 20 minutes late due to driving around looking for a parking spot. It doesn't seem that cross iron was affected by the economy.

    When Winnipeg opened it's outlet mall, they said it wasn't a "Premium" outlet. Their store listing is better than ours. They have a Michael Kors, Ralph Lauren and a Lululemon outlet. We get International Clothiers...yeah!
    I’ve had to spend time at that Cross Iron mall a few times now. I always thought it was an outlet mall. Like those surplus goods malls outside Palm Springs, Phoenix, etc. (I’ve been dragged to those too.). So I guess I’m confused. They all mostly look alike to me.

    Nonetheless overselling the description or brand to try to attract the desired tenant names doesn’t mean that they will be successful and live up to their own hype.

    Also Calgary has a large private sector bureaucracy that feeds its suburban retail market. Edmonton has long been a more financially conservative retail market. (For years it seemed that Calgary always had more so called ‘luxury’ vehicles than in Edmonton.)
    Last edited by KC; 21-03-2018 at 06:40 AM.

  95. #895

    Default

    Financial reserved market? In retail, the Edmonton area is considered by experts as a power centre for spending.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  96. #896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    This thread started in 2013. It’s now 2018. For anyone that wasn’t here or isn’t aware of the changes to Alberta’s economy in the interim, oil prices have gone from $110/bbl to $60/bbl. our governments are borrowing and spending billions to keep the economy afloat.So why would anyone expect that this mall could actually attract the same tenants today as they hoped to attract in 2012-13 or so? When West Edmonton Mall opened in the early ‘80s it attracted some high end tenants but many quickly bailed as soon as the economy turned down. Such companies chase the free spending nouveau riche and most of those people disappear as they go bankrupt. Those companies looking at Alberta now aren’t likely seeing the requisite signs of the reckless spending that they need to meet their margins.
    I just shake my head at how many people are miss informed in terms of what Alberta produced Oil is sold for. Currently WCS which is what the majority of western Canadian Oil is sold at is $40/bbl, WTI (West Texas Intermediate) which is the price everyone uses is $65/bbl, that's a $25/bbl.

    http://economicdashboard.alberta.ca/OilPrice

    https://seekingalpha.com/article/413...nt-demystified

    http://www.oilsandsmagazine.com/tech...ian-select-wcs

    http://www.oilsandsmagazine.com/inte...X%3ACL1!-24.60

  97. #897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Financial reserved market? In retail, the Edmonton area is considered by experts as a power centre for spending.
    At the start of the winter season, Simon's at Londonderry had a department full of Canada Goose parkas. By the end, there were little to none. I agree, people are still spending in Edmonton.

    Although last I checked, International Clothiers at Bonny Doon Mall was EMPTY (I mean people...not product)!

  98. #898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreation View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    This thread started in 2013. It’s now 2018. For anyone that wasn’t here or isn’t aware of the changes to Alberta’s economy in the interim, oil prices have gone from $110/bbl to $60/bbl. our governments are borrowing and spending billions to keep the economy afloat.So why would anyone expect that this mall could actually attract the same tenants today as they hoped to attract in 2012-13 or so? When West Edmonton Mall opened in the early ‘80s it attracted some high end tenants but many quickly bailed as soon as the economy turned down. Such companies chase the free spending nouveau riche and most of those people disappear as they go bankrupt. Those companies looking at Alberta now aren’t likely seeing the requisite signs of the reckless spending that they need to meet their margins.
    I just shake my head at how many people are miss informed in terms of what Alberta produced Oil is sold for. Currently WCS which is what the majority of western Canadian Oil is sold at is $40/bbl, WTI (West Texas Intermediate) which is the price everyone uses is $65/bbl, that's a $25/bbl.

    http://economicdashboard.alberta.ca/OilPrice

    https://seekingalpha.com/article/413...nt-demystified

    http://www.oilsandsmagazine.com/tech...ian-select-wcs

    http://www.oilsandsmagazine.com/inte...X%3ACL1!-24.60
    And rather than upgrading here to get a better price and provide local jobs, we continue to export more and more of a lower quality product. It's baely a step above exporting logs rather than timber products.

  99. #899

    Default

    Typically, outlet malls target the middle to affluent end of the social class. But this mall fails to meet the basic premise of what has made outlet malls attractive to those market segments: Big name brands/high end brands at discounted prices.

    I know that Edmonton lags when it comes to the luxury market vs. what Calgary has. I think Edmonton would be a perfect market for premium brands (not necessarily high end luxury) outlet malls: Large enough population, one of the highest disposable income in the country. it's a real shame that some major brands which tend to be the staples of outlet malls do not appear to be in the lineup: Brooks Brothers, Coach, Kate Spade, Polo Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Tumi, Johnston and Murphy, DKNY, etc....

    This mall belongs in Red Deer or Saskatoon....and should not be called "Premium Outlet"....I guess, Cross-Iron will be happy that Edmontonians will continue to shop there for many years to come!!!

  100. #900

    Default

    the outlet is a major dissapointment. What a waste of space and time....

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •