Thread: Outdoor Workout Area

Default Outdoor Workout Area

Does anyone know where I could find pullup/chinup bars or gymnast rings at a park or school ground in Edmonton?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

If not, it would be nice for Edmonton to have something like Red Deer has:

http://www.reddeer.ca/City+Governmen...tdoor+Gyms.htm

http://reddeerpcn.com/HealthBasics/VideoLibrary.aspx

OCL was looking at this for one of our parks...

The city had not approved a supplied for such equipment. That may have changed.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Addicted to C2E

Or like this in New Westminster BC .

http://www.newwestpcr.ca/parks/park_...s_circuits.php

I have seen similar outdoor equipment in Hong Kong parks. I think that making this kind of thing free and accessible would be a no brainer . Just think of it as playground equipment for grown ups !

Partially Addicted to C2E

This be a great idea at Kinsmen or something tho our summers are short they are often sunny and would be well used!

I've been to the ones at Santa Monica and Venice Beach and they were both impressive.

An outdoor workout space might be a nice addition if they decide to build an outdoor beach/playground here as has been discussed lately.

For right now though I'm just hoping to find an outdoor chinup bar, anywhere. Has anyone seen one at a park or schoolyard? Just a single straight metal bar mounted horizontally at say 2.5 meters above ground would do it for me.
    Last edited by EdmontonDenizen; 17-05-2013 at 08:32 PM.

ED - Greenfield has one:
    http://goo.gl/maps/WsbsJ

Lendrum had one, not sure if it's still there.

Check your local elementary/jr high school yard.

ED - Greenfield has one:
    http://goo.gl/maps/WsbsJ

Lendrum had one, not sure if it's still there.

Check your local elementary/jr high school yard.

Thanks. Went to Greenfield. It was all good except that I felt a bit strange as a 30 something lone male amongst families and small children in a schoolyard.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post

Agreed Terry. After seeing this, I'm disappointed Edmonton (or surrounding communities) don't have these facilities everywhere.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

There's a section of the park at the corner of 215 st and Webber Greens Drive that has a workout specific space. Nothing like what's in red deer but a selection of chin up bars, horizontal bars, etc. with exercise instructions.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Not sure but Kinsmen park in the valley used to have a cross country style station to station system
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post

Agreed Terry. After seeing this, I'm disappointed Edmonton (or surrounding communities) don't have these facilities everywhere.

Strangely enough we went on a rural jaunt on the weekend and found one of the outdoor gyms (The exact kind found in Red Deer) in the very small town of Clyde, AB. Yes, I repeat, Clyde Ab. They're ahead of Edmonton on the curve here folks. A small town with a population of around 500 has provided this facility for anybody to use for free.

Of course it was located right next to the childrens playground so that adults could "play" while the children play. So much better than sitting on a park bench or trying to play on equipment not meant for adults.

The equipment was interesting in that it used a persons weight as counterbalance for all the exercises. Appeared to be sturdy equipment although no idea how it will survive winter. My own take was that the weight(my weight) didn't afford enough resistance for the workout as I prefer doing more. But with several reps at least felt like I was doing something. The equipment seemed ideal for people suffering arthritis or wanting some range of motion type activity. Or for people just getting into working out. It wasn't challenging or difficult to use.

Overall I would green light this and be prepared to pay for it. As a taxpayer this is money well spent.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-09-2013 at 06:00 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Are you effin kidding me? Clyde? Wow.

Pardon my ignorance, but who would one approach, email, write, visit to investigate or initiate a program to build some of these facilities? Your area counselor?
    I get the piggybacking with an existing playground or schoolyard but these facilities would work somewhere along the river pathways or park system. A LOT of people use the path system for jogging, walking, biking, and of course integrate the stairs system for a workout of some kind. Combining these resistance based apparatus would only add. JMO.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Why not just build essentially an adult-sized playground? Monkey bars for pullups/chinups, benches designed for situps (instead of armrests, maybe something to hold people's feet so they can get leverage), a small up and down staircase so people can just go over and back or do box-jumps, some bars for dips, throw in a 100m paved track (with distance markings) around the entire park, and just a place to stretch.

Nothing crazy. We don't need free-weights or any intricate cable-drive machines here. Just something relatively simple to get people a little more active while their kids play on the 'fun' playground.

I agree. That is what I'm was going for. Weather proof and essentially maintenance free.

highlander

There's something like this in a park in Beverly, but designed more for seniors. I've never tried it.

Where would you put equipment like this? Red Deer has several locations, to be similarly accessible we would need 50+ locations.

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    Are you effin kidding me? Clyde? Wow.

Pardon my ignorance, but who would one approach, email, write, visit to investigate or initiate a program to build some of these facilities? Your area counselor?
    I get the piggybacking with an existing playground or schoolyard but these facilities would work somewhere along the river pathways or park system. A LOT of people use the path system for jogging, walking, biking, and of course integrate the stairs system for a workout of some kind. Combining these resistance based apparatus would only add. JMO.
    Yeah, I was surprised. It was good sturdy equipment. I think some more talk with aldermen is due. Edmonton really falling behind on these initiatives. Problem is perhaps we are spending so much building pay Parks and Rec facilities theres been little thought of the need for free outdoor work out facilities that make good sense from a preventative standpoint.

As it is in playgrounds and parks adults have the option of sitting down and watching the kids play. I prefer to be active, most people do, especially in an invigorating outdoor setting. The outside makes all the difference. That the equipment is easy to use and fun to use does the rest. I don't agree with others that simple equipment like steps and chin up bars would be of much benefit. What you want in this type of equipment is something everybody will use. Weight circuits are always superior in that regard as more people use them.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I remember chin up bars and various exercise stops on the jogging path in Kinnaird Ravine Park (Rat Creek) 82 ave north of 111th but I don't know if they are still there.

I had to give up jogging a few years ago...

I kept spilling my Martini.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 05-09-2013 at 02:29 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Here's a look at the equipment in Clyde:

http://goo.gl/maps/5uZpl

Another bad note is that Calgary is supposed to have 16 outdoor gym areas. I don't know why it hasn't been already implemented in Edmonton. Maybe some might think they'll be vandalized or maybe the season's too short.

^

That's the site but doesn't look like much from that google street photo. Not discernible from the picture but each station seen in picture actually has two different work out options , one on either side.

So theres 12 different stations in this limited design. But was still some unexpected fun in the sun. Feels so much better working out outside in our limited summer days. Much preferred to going to the gym on a sunny day.

One problem I noted with the application in Clyde is they had sand, grass kind of substrate with some loose rubber mats later putdown around machines. Trouble is sand was getting into everything already even though the equipment seemed quite new. This equipment should be setout on full recycled rubber application which would be better for the moving equipment. I can't imagine the sand is going to do much good. So good equipment, bad application.

Thanks for posting the picture Terry.
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-09-2013 at 11:26 AM.

^Unfortunately, there's no info on the Clyde website about the equipment. If one pans around, they'll see that the park itself isn't that big, and is just a flat grass field with some stuff on it, but it's a practical use of the area and a group can bring their kids while exercising or cool off at the gazebo.

^Unfortunately, there's no info on the Clyde website about the equipment. If one pans around, they'll see that the park itself isn't that big, and is just a flat grass field with some stuff on it, but it's a practical use of the area and a group can bring their kids while exercising or cool off at the gazebo.
    Theres a nice kids playground just to the right of the picture. Perfect small-scale configuration imo. Both the kids equipment and the gym equipment looks fairly new. Wonder when they did the last drive by for google street view. lol Clyde gets more attention than us.

Theres probably no information on the gym equipment because of how new it is. Quite sure from the looks of it that it was installed fairly recently.

^May 2012 at the latest.

I would love this along the river valley trail. I lived in Sydney, Australia briefly and used it quite a bit when out for a run at Bondi Beach. I've used the Red Deer equipment, not really a fan of it though compared to other places.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Theres a nice kids playground just to the right of the picture. Perfect small-scale configuration imo. Both the kids equipment and the gym equipment looks fairly new. Wonder when they did the last drive by for google street view. lol Clyde gets more attention than us.

Theres probably no information on the gym equipment because of how new it is. Quite sure from the looks of it that it was installed fairly recently.
    My parents live in Courtenay, BC, and they have the same equipment in a public space near their house. It is made by Fitness Outdoors of Olds, Alberta.

I'd like to propose an outdoor fitness park to city council or an appropriate community league. My vision is for an area which would have equipment similar to what was found in Clyde or Red Deer, plus more advanced equipment like pullup and dips bars, and gymnast rings. I'm not sure the best way to go about pitching this idea. Any suggestions?

I realize the timing is not the best because of the current provincial economic situation, but I think this type of project could be done for a reasonable cost.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^suppose to be coming to LMP/river valley... but I have also heard it might be in the new QE park.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Found a simple outdoor gym at Jagre Ridge in SW Edmonton. It has 4 chin up bars, a couple leg lift stations, and a couple balance or hoping stations.

682 Howatt Dr SW, Edmonton, AB T6W 1A3
    https://goo.gl/maps/dUEkvHTWseK2