Thread: Crestwood vs. Glenora School

Default Crestwood vs. Glenora School

Any thoughts about these two schools? We deciding between these two schools for our son who is starting grade 1 this fall.
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by jamesacer View Post
    Any thoughts about these two schools? We deciding between these two schools for our son who is starting grade 1 this fall.
    Thanks in advance
    My kids love Glenora school, although my son has decided to do the challenege program at Crestwood for junior high. Can't go wrong with either I think, I'd choose the one that's closer.

That's the problem, hard choosing between two really good programs...although glenora is closer, we do like the k-9 aspect of crestwood...

Just wondering ....Did your son transfer from glenora to crestwood for junior high? Did he have any problems integrating with classmates considering that the other students would have been going to class with each other for grades 1 to 6
    Last edited by jamesacer; 24-05-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Just wondering ....Did your son transfer from glenora to crestwood for junior high?
    He chose between Westminster and Crestwood for Junior high, he liked the idea of the challenge program (he had to sit an exam and do an interview to get in). He goes next year, he has 3 classmates from Glenora going as well, so should be fine.

I think all the public schools in Edmonton are very good, Grosvenor has some good programs as well.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

You'll find both filled with wealthy, pampered children...and every parent is convinced that their child is gifted - and will make it so!

How do I know this? I went there (glenora)

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    You'll find both filled with wealthy, pampered children...and every parent is convinced that their child is gifted - and will make it so!

How do I know this? I went there (glenora)
    Wrong. Not "pampered" because, as you say, the parents will "make it so". Expectations in some cases will be high and consequently those children will work day - and night - to meet those expectations. I knew kids at both schools and many are now 'successful' themselves because they were far from pampered. They had to work their butts off to get the highest grades possible because medicine, law, executive positions were going to be their destiny.

Sometimes it's the kids of the less " successful" parents that let their kids be "pampered" by letting them watch TV play with electronics, eat crap food, play sports without studying, etc.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Thanks in advance
    I went to Glenora for K-1 and Crestwood for 7-9.

I'd say you're best off sending him to Glenora for elementary and then continuing on to Crestwood for junior high, as many Glenora students do anyway.

That's an interesting perspective, but there is no guarantee that our son will get into Crestwood in grade 7, apparently there is a lottery to get in.

Why do you suggest Glenora for elementary?

Also, in grade 7, most Glenora students go to Westminster so there is a strong chance that our son will be separated from friends. Our son is a bit shy so I worry that going to Crestwood away from friends might be detrimental.

Quote Originally Posted by Alx_xlA View Post
    Thanks in advance
    I went to Glenora for K-1 and Crestwood for 7-9.

I'd say you're best off sending him to Glenora for elementary and then continuing on to Crestwood for junior high, as many Glenora students do anyway.

^I think the challenge program at Crestwood is based on academics not lottery. To be honest I'd have preferred him to go to Westminster (I think bigger schools offer more), but at 11 its his choice not mine, I'm happy he chose what he wanted.

I think as much as wanting to be with friends, my son wanted to avoid some kids who will go to Westminster who he has had conflict with. Best thing I did for him was start him in karate at about 6 years old (daughter also enjoys it), the small class sizes in Canada increases the bullying IMO.
    Last edited by moahunter; 03-06-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Also, in grade 7, most Glenora students go to Westminster so there is a strong chance that our son will be separated from friends. Our son is a bit shy so I worry that going to Crestwood away from friends might be detrimental.
    Of all the schools I attended for elementary, Glenora had the best learning environment. It's been a long time so I won't try to quantify it too much.

One issue my wife and I have with Glenora is that there is no racial diversity, it is essentially 95% white school. Although, we are white ourselves, we value exposing our son to racial diversity. Crestwood seems to be a little more racially diverse, and also socio-economically diverse judging by the average parental incomes for both schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Alx_xlA View Post

Of all the schools I attended for elementary, Glenora had the best learning environment. It's been a long time so I won't try to quantify it too much.