Thread: Mill Woods Library, Seniors & Multicult. Centre | Completed

Default Mill Woods Library, Seniors & Multicult. Centre | Completed

The new Mill Woods Library, Seniors and Multicultural Centre will be situated in the immediate vicinity of the Mill Woods Town Centre and Mill Woods Transit Centre. The new library is planned to be in the order of 25,000 square feet, while the new Seniors Centre and Multicultural Centre will be built as the second floor of the library branch.
    http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...al-centre.aspx

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/construct...lity-1.1295392

Officials from the city, the provincial government and a southeast Edmonton seniors facility marked the beginning of construction for a new community centre in Mill Woods.
    On Friday, construction on the Mill Woods Library, Seniors and Multicultural Centre kicked off.
    The facility, which will be opened in 2014, includes a larger library and social and recreational space for seniors and multicultural community groups.

Read more: http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/construct...#ixzz2UGWPnEt3
    Today was the first I have ever heard of this (I tried searching, did not find any existing threads). Construction began today.

Screenshot from the ctv news story: http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/construct...lity-1.1295392

Looks like it will be right up against the town centre transit station

C2E SME

Which is only nice for awhile, unfortunately the transit centre will be moving away from it's current location to a new location on 28 ave next to the future LRT station.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    Construction began today.
    Huh? They've been working on that site for a couple months now.

Addicted to C2E

Site prep versus construction?

C2E SME

^that would be my guess.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Great to see. Librairies play an important role in our communities. Although I find it funny that no one complains about the price tag for this type of facility even though most citizens will never step foot in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Great to see. Librairies play an important role in our communities. Although I find it funny that no one complains about the price tag for this type of facility even though most citizens will never step foot in it.
    Perhaps everybody recognizes the untold benefit such places play in learning, and particularly for children and youth?

People don't question it because the value, to society, and individuals, is clearly recognized.

What societal benefit does a massive arena pay?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

Well when I've been to the current location in the mall, the library is always quite busy.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Perhaps everybody recognizes the untold benefit such places play in learning, and particularly for children and youth?

People don't question it because the value, to society, and individuals, is clearly recognized.

An entirely redeveloped downtown. An icon for the city. Massive tourism. A major image boost.

All benefits for the whole society.

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post

An entirely redeveloped downtown.

Unsubstantiated

An icon for the city.

Possibly, but could be considered outdated and odd looking design within a decade.

Massive tourism. A major image boost.

Both also unsubstantiated.

All benefits for the whole society.
    All presupposed.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Addicted to C2E

But very likely. I like libraries!

ChrisD hit the nail on the head. No one will ever complain about public funds to a library. But there is a damn near riot when it goes to an arena.

Replacement the arugment you are making (presupposed) is bs at best.

What it boils down to is people value Education (if you get that at a library is also presupposed) over Recreation.

And if its a Recreation project that a Billionaire happens to benifit from, well heavens forbid we allow it.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

A library isn't a business. It's a public service. There's no comparison between an arena and a library.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

How much profit does a library make compared to an NHL arena? Where do their revenues go? Also, Clareview and Terwilliger Rec Centres were massive projects that seem to be welcomed by their communities as a whole. These public centres are completely different than an NHL arena.

(Don't mind me, just stirring up the pot.)
    We would share and listen and support and welcome, be propelled by passion not invest in outcomes. We would breathe and be charmed and amused by difference. -Alanis Morissette

C2E Posting Power

I know there's those on this forum who think libraries are relics of the past, but I honestly think the city and EPL deserve credit for building some really top notch buildings in the past 10 years. Libraries that also serve as important community centres beyond just being places to get books. And I say that as someone who has pretty much gone 100% over to ebooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    ChrisD hit the nail on the head. No one will ever complain about public funds to a library. But there is a damn near riot when it goes to an arena.

Replacement the arugment you are making (presupposed) is bs at best.

What it boils down to is people value Education (if you get that at a library is also presupposed) over Recreation.

And if its a Recreation project that a Billionaire happens to benifit from, well heavens forbid we allow it.
    Its interesting you think that libraries don't further education. They have throughout recorded history and if one wants to question this angle then the extent of your logic has it that the printed word itself hasn't furthered education and learning. Which would be a ridiculous premise that you can argue if you wish.

Its not that people strictly value Education over recreation either. I think in both instances communities actively support and WANT Libraries and recreational facilities that further the mind/body duality to achieve personal and societal ideals. Through direct benefit.

I draw a big distinction here between recreation that is first person direct achieved vs recreation that is passive watching or listening. The first involves the individual, the second is in Marshall McLuhan's take a "non experience." One involves personal growth and experience, the other, at best, escape, passive, entertainment.

We're paying .6B bucks for a massive arena so people can have dissociated experiences that arguably don't involve them.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Well that's their perogative, and their loss. The facility will be there, open, for anyone to use, free of charge.

Its interesting you think that libraries don't further education.
    Never said that. I said that it is presupposed. You are talking to a Library worker here. I fully understand support and value what libraries do for a community and society as a whole. I was playing devils advocate
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Its interesting you think that libraries don't further education.
    Never said that. I said that it is presupposed. You are talking to a Library worker here. I fully understand support and value what libraries do for a community and society as a whole. I was playing devils advocate

Thank you.

Millwood Library Project - Kingspan Facades | Kingspan | Rest of Europe
    https://www.kingspan.com/roe/el-gr/p...llwood-library

Metal Construction Projects Case Histories | Design and Build With Metal
    https://designandbuildwithmetal.com/...-woods-library

C2E SME

Oh and this thread should be listed as completed.