Thread: Ward 7 priorities

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Ward 7 priorities

- Policing and crime reduction
    - Continued support for measures that encourage family oriented development
    - Crack down on derelict land owners
    - Protection of schools in mature neighborhoods

Things have been going pretty well in the ward overall... these are the prioirties that I'll be basing my vote on
    Parkdale

Encouraging infill - split some of these massive lots and put condos on them
    Expanding after school programs / out of school programs for at risk youth / teens
    Preparation for the influx of high risk population that may be displaced by Arena development
    Maintain schools.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

C2E Long Term Contributor

I really hope I see some candidates expressing some concrete ideas.

When I look at campaign websites for city council candidates, I see a lot of policy buzzwords and high-end fluff..."I believe in vibrancy, sustainability, public transit, safe communities, yadda cubed"....might as well state you like puppies and babies while you're at it.

What concrete ideas do candidates have for vibrancy, safe communities, public transit, sustainability, fiscal responsibility, etc?
    What's your stance on current and long-term issues?
    What's your stance on the current and future big-ticket projects - arena, Quarters, YXD redevelopment, LRT expansion, Rossdale, river valley development, parks, etc?
    What is broken and how will you fix it?
    Where is improvement needed and how will you improve it?
    Where do you want your ward, the city and the metro area to be in 20 years time?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Expanding after school programs / out of school programs for at risk youth / teens
    Preparation for the influx of high risk population that may be displaced by Arena development
    Maintain schools.
    I think the fears of displacement of the current inhabitants of the new arena area are vastly overblown. The services and support networks are not going anywhere, and the downtown area is most condusive to their needs

I really like the idea of responsible densification, but condos are not the answer in most cases.
    Parkdale

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Maintain schools.
    I'm a fan of encouraging more infill. In Montrose some infill has already been done and there are many more lots that need redevelopment. Same with Highlands.

I'd really like to see something done about the dead zone the old safeway building has created on 66st and 118 avenue. I'd like to see the 118 ave revitalization expand to cover from Wayne Gretzky Drive to 50st. That would complete the entire stretch.
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    I think the fears of displacement of the current inhabitants of the new arena area are vastly overblown. The services and support networks are not going anywhere, and the downtown area is most condusive to their needs

I really like the idea of responsible densification, but condos are not the answer in most cases.
    I hope it is overblown. But with so many shelters so close to the arena area, I can see their properties being bought up. Its prime land. Close to the arena. I guess we can only wait and see.

Condos can work when done properly. These lots in this area are massive. To have these ****** little 900 square foot war Bungalos on them is a shame.

Example of condos done right:

http://goo.gl/maps/HOR0a

This used to have a delapted shack. Now a spot for 3 families.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

That would be an example of a stacked rowhouse, not a condo. And i agree, that is a good example of infill and responsible densification. There are a tonne of those being built in our area, along with Sfh infill.

As for the social services around the arena... They won't be leaving because the real estate around the arena will not jump in value... There's no upside to being around an arena, and most of the subsequent development which will make it attractive will be south of 104ave. Sure the north edge will improve over time, but it's going to take a loooooong time, and those services are still going to need to be located centrally
    Parkdale

^ The building may be attractive, but looking at the layout it almost certainly is a condo. I don't see how there could be 4 separately titled lots there the way the detached garage is set up. I agree about responsible densification, and I think that means more semi-detached, garage suites and non-condominium rowhousing, not just condos.