Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who are the Ward 6 candidates

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E

Apparently, Scott McKeen is rumoured to be running in Ward 6.

http://daveberta.ca/2013/06/edmonton...n-sohi-mckeen/

Scott is indeed rumored.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

https://twitter.com/staceybrotzel/st...96911138123776
    Jane Batty, Councillor for Ward 6, will NOT seek re-election.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

Apparently, Scott McKeen is rumoured to be running in Ward 6.

http://daveberta.ca/2013/06/edmonton...n-sohi-mckeen/
    I am glad he's running in that ward and not one of the others.

Partially Addicted to C2E

With 1 confirmed Councillor not seeking re-election (Jane Batty), 1 confirmed to be running for Mayor (Kerry Diotte) and 2 more considering to run for Mayor (Karen Leibovici and Don Iveson), 2013 is turning out to be a very exciting election year.

I wonder if more Edmontonians will actually get out and vote?

I like Jane - will miss her.

But, she took on a really nasty, Wildrose-style campaign last time against a single-issue canidate and thankfully won - deserves the rest.

Will have to see who is running, but McKeen has name recognition and well documented policy on some of the major issues. Someone would have to convince me not to vote for him.
    ... gobsmacked

Really ?

Top_Dawg doesn't remember any nasty campaign.

She won in a cake walk.

Oh yeah, and McBoo - don't vote for McKeen.

LOL, not quite convincing. Suggestive yes, convincing, not so much.

Re: Ward six nasty? You're sorry but I'm wrong. I was thinking the Krusher and Ditzy Don in Ward Two.

(Throws Top_Dawg a bone)
    Last edited by McBoo; 03-06-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Factual error!!!
    ... gobsmacked

Oh yeah, that one.

Top_Dawg recalls Ward 2 did get nasty.

'n fact Koziak would have been elected had Hinderks and Malone-Richards not bled off some of the vote.

Ol' Krushell must have been sweatin' bullets.

Would have had to get a real job for the first time in her life.

Hey Top_Dawg

'n fact Koziak would have been elected had Hinderks and Malone-Richards not bled off some of the vote.
    Credit where credit is due..."Tupper" did better than Malone, Malone did better than I.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...ltsSummary.pdf

So a whole lotta splitt'n going on.

In my highly biased personal opinion

Addicted to C2E

Know McKenzie as a person (used to be a neighbour)- she would make a good councilor, I think!
    As for the mayor, still waiting for KK, if not, then maybe Iveson (basically anybody but KD).

Bryan Kapitza is also running and is the only candidate in the Ward who has previously run. He ran second to Batty last election with over 3000 votes.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Uh-oh spaghettios !

Yoda = Michael Phair
    Luke Skywalker = Kyle Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Uh-oh spaghettios !

Yoda = Michael Phair
    Luke Skywalker = Kyle Brown
    Has Phair endorsed Brown or are you making an assumption because they're both gay?

Another of Top_Dawg's observations based on pure optics.

Well this should make for an interesting OCL Board meeting.

Scott McKeen has scheduled an announcement at the Westmount Community League on Saturday. Looks like we're going to have the traditional no-incumbent mess of candidates.

I am very excited to invite you to the campaign launch for my friend Scott McKeen who will be running for Edmonton City Council this Fall in Ward 6. The campaign launch will be on June 22 at 1:00 pm at the Westmount Community League which is located at 10970 127 Street. Come out to this event to learn more about this fantastic candidate and why I know he will be a fantastic addition to Edmonton's City Council.

Refreshments will be available. Children are most welcome.

Thanks!
    www.decl.org

Scott McKeen Facebook invite - https://www.facebook.com/events/467923159968788/
    www.decl.org

I know it's extremely early in the race, but I really respect that Bryan Kapitza actually lists real potential projects he'd like to pursue on his campaign site. Everyone else seems to be stating "I want to do lots of good, vague things" on their sites, whereas he is already outlining tangible actions. I'm not saying I supporting him. I am just hoping we can push the other candidates to state how they plan to achieve anything, as opposed to just focusing on outcomes and general pandering (promote small business growth, increasing safety and a sense of community, magically building a bunch of vague infrastructure, etc.).

Let's pressure these people to give real answers and a list of how they will achieve their goals, and not get away with "I am a good person and will somehow make important things better" over and over again.

Oh dear.

This makes two days in a row that Top_Dawg has to issue a dweeb alert.

Quote Originally Posted by crtbg View Post
    I know it's extremely early in the race, but I really respect that Bryan Kapitza actually lists real potential projects he'd like to pursue on his campaign site. Everyone else seems to be stating "I want to do lots of good, vague things" on their sites, whereas he is already outlining tangible actions. I'm not saying I supporting him. I am just hoping we can push the other candidates to state how they plan to achieve anything, as opposed to just focusing on outcomes and general pandering (promote small business growth, increasing safety and a sense of community, magically building a bunch of vague infrastructure, etc.).

Let's pressure these people to give real answers and a list of how they will achieve their goals, and not get away with "I am a good person and will somehow make important things better" over and over again.
    I share your sentiments. I too want to see more substance from the candidates than just policy buzzwords and vague high-level fluff..."I believe in vibrancy, sustainability, public transit, safe communities, yadda cubed"....might as well state you like puppies and babies while you're at it.

^I totally agree with you, but in defense of many of the candidates, I know people like Scott McKeen are taking some of their time this summer to hear what people have as issues in the Ward so they can address them head on.

Having said that, there are issues and policy items that each candidate is passionate about, some more than others. These will be more forthcoming as we get closer to election time.
    www.decl.org

Like "reforming the tax system" I am sorry but that is a prov mandate. What I dislike is people who put together platforms that pray on the fact that most people don't understand the different division of power between prov/cities.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

Like "reforming the tax system" I am sorry but that is a prov mandate. What I dislike is people who put together platforms that pray on the fact that most people don't understand the different division of power between prov/cities.
    The city can't reform the municipal tax system? I'm actually not too informed on municipal vs. provincial jurisdiction in terms of changing taxation systems, and am curious. However, municipal tax reforms could be a powerful tool (when combined with other initiatives) to address our urban sprawl problem.

^ Market based assessment is a provincial requirement for municipal taxes. So no, the city hasn't a lot of room to manouvre.

Recall the city gave tax breaks to encourage Railtown, unsure if it can do that again.

For the warehouse district, the City is letting developers cut back on parking requirements versus tax breaks.
    ... gobsmacked

Cities exist at the whim of the Province. There are only two constitutional levels of government in Canada: Federal and Provincial. Municipalities exist and are run by legislation passed by the Province. Everything they do must conform with that. It's why the City passes 'bylaws' rather than 'laws'.

So if Edmonton wants to change the way it collects tax it would have to convince the province to change the Municipal Government Act. If you want some light reading it's only about 500 pages long.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/m26.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    ^ Market based assessment is a provincial requirement for municipal taxes. So no, the city hasn't a lot of room to manouvre.

Recall the city gave tax breaks to encourage Railtown, unsure if it can do that again.

For the warehouse district, the City is letting developers cut back on parking requirements versus tax breaks.
    They didn't give tax breaks... what they get is a kickback per unit built. I think the warehouse/campus area with have a $10,000 "grant" or what ever its called per unit built that meets the criteria. Ian likely is more up to speed on the details. The developer/owner still pays the regular tax.

Now if we look at Toronto or USA cities Many have the power to leverage their own sales tax, hotel tax, a fee on veh registration or issue municipal bonds. (just as a few examples). As the new "Big City Charter" is likely to have been signed and Redford has indicated that revenue/funding is not part being looked at as part of the charter it seems pretty clear to me that the PC's have no interest in looking at the very regressive property tax system that rewards suburban/sprawl development.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 19-06-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

^It was a big topic in the last provincial election, but afterwards, when I tried talking/writing to members of the Leg, they responded to me like they never heard of it. Biggest thing holding this ward back in my opinion, or simply our cities in general. They could actually invest in themselves.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

^ Our ward is used as the cash cow for the whole city...

and the PC's don't want to touch Property Tax because what every they do the suburbs would likely loose...

Income tax should simply be raised and cites should get a dedicated funding based on per capita numbers. than the cities/region should be allowed to collect hotel/rental car tax, veh registration fees and a small gas tax.

Bonds and other fund raising methods should be explored as well.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 19-06-2013 at 05:15 PM.

As a young and naive person, I think I grow less naive and more informed/bitter with every passing day. I thought for tax reform to happen in the city, we'd just need one mayor and council to put their necks on the line (slight hope). Instead, we need a provincial political party to do so first, followed by a city government (no hope). Anyway, sorry for sidetracking the ward 6 discussion, and thanks to everyone for exposing me to reality.

Confirmed: Scott McKeen is running for Ward 6

How's this for a ringing endorsement?

https://twitter.com/Scott_McKeen/sta...20479767793664

"@Scott_McKeen will be one of the finest councillors we've ever had...I've come to respect his balanced views." - @MayorMandel

As a young and naive person, I think I grow less naive and more informed/bitter with every passing day. I thought for tax reform to happen in the city, we'd just need one mayor and council to put their necks on the line (slight hope). Instead, we need a provincial political party to do so first, followed by a city government (no hope). Anyway, sorry for sidetracking the ward 6 discussion, and thanks to everyone for exposing me to reality.
    Hey!! Honest smart questions always deserve a honest answer!

If I was a Ward Sixer Scott Mckeen would get my vote. Seems like a competent person.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

He has mine!!

C2E Continued Contributor

According to his twitter personal twitter account, Cst. D.Williams (@dexxwilliams) is also running in Ward 6.
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

E-chuks version of Axel Foley - Bellamy Hill Cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Montrosian View Post
    According to his twitter personal twitter account, Cst. D.Williams (@dexxwilliams) is also running in Ward 6.
    Edmonton Sun article about Cst. Williams candidacy.

C2E Continued Contributor

And yet another candidate for Ward 6

Journal article on Taz Bouchier

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...055/story.html
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

Derrick Forsythe - http://twitter.com/db_forsythe
    www.decl.org

I'm predicting 12 candidates. Others are predicting 15-20 candidates. Should we start a poll?
    www.decl.org

It's a bit absurd.... to be honest.

But at least it shows you the level of civic engagement in our ward.

^Yes, that is great to see.
    www.decl.org

Top_Dawg's hopes for at least one decent candidate are fading fast.

Incredibly so far there's nothing.

'N fact - less than nothing.

Just newbs, boobs, dweebs and azz jockeys.

Top_Dawg never would have envisioned himself saying this,

but holy ****,

JANE

COME BACK

ALL IS FORGIVEN

Scott has my vote thus far.

BTW - Scott McKeen for Ward 6 Campaign Office Launch

https://www.facebook.com/events/197120987118629/

"It's been a busy few weeks since we launched the Scott McKeen for Ward 6 campaign June 22. We've experienced fantastic support so far and we're having a great time on the campaign trail.

Now we want you to come and celebrate a small milestone with us: the opening of our campaign office!

Where: 12310 Jasper Avenue
    Date: Saturday, July 20
    Time: Office setup 1 pm - 5 pm. Celebration 7 pm to late.

Come out for food, drinks, and music. Meet Scott and a great group of people excited to get him elected this fall!

Also, we'd love for you to get involved - volunteer, donate, or take a lawn sign!

We hope to see you there!

Team McKeen
    scottmckeen.ca"
    www.decl.org

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Activ...307/story.html

Activist says Ward 6 candidate is misleading voters

On both his website and election signs, directly below Kapitza’s name is a sentence that reads “councillor ward 6.”

“The word that is missing is ‘for’ and it completely changes the signs’ meaning,” says Nielsen.

Nielsen spends much of her time raising awareness about the elections among Ward 6’s multicultural community. She says Kapitza’s signs are especially problematic because the community has many recent immigrants who are unfamiliar with the city and candidates running for councillor.

“People will vote for him because they think he is a councillor and has the experience working the position,” said Nielsen. “The reality is Jane Batty is our councillor — he isn’t.”

Cleanliness - We Can Do Better

"...long wondered why it takes so long for the city to complete its spring sweep, especially downtown and along showcase streets like Stony Plain Road, 124th Street, 101st Street and 104th Avenue.

Unfortunately, the urban environment fades into the background of our consciousness over time. We don’t even notice the grit, grime and urban decay.

But what of delegates at major conventions — or tourists and potential out-of-town investors, visiting Edmonton?

This is not to criticize this or past city councils. Or even the civil service. We get the city we deserve — the city we demand."

Read more - http://www.scottmckeen.ca/cleanliness_we_can_do_better

-
    Blog posts by Scott on various Ward 6 issues - http://www.scottmckeen.ca/blog
    www.decl.org

There's like about a dozen people running for Ward 6, and so far I think this is McKeen's seat to lose.
    edit: Just noticed that Kassie Russell has dropped out of the race.

Candidates running so far:

Taz Bouchier

Kyle Brown

Candas Jane Dorsey

Derrick Forsythe

Melinda Hollis

Bryan Kapitza

Heather MacKenzie

Scott McKeen

Adil Pirbhai

Alfie White

Dexx Williams
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

That's almost an egg carton full of candidates

C2E Posting Power
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley

An egg carton full of quiet candidates.

Only a few have made themselves well know.

DECL/OCL Ward 6 Candidates Forum

The Oliver Community League and Downtown Edmonton Community League are co-hosting a candidate forum for Ward 6 City Councilor. Come out to hear what candidates have to say about issues important to the Oliver and Downtown neighbourhoods and the city at large.

When: Tuesday, September 17th from 6:45p.m.-8:45p.m.

Where: Oliver School 10227 118 St NW, Edmonton, AB

NOTE: Please enter on the East side of the school at 117st

https://www.facebook.com/events/495131650580325/
    www.decl.org

Saw lawn signs for Scott McKeen last night. Haven't seen signs for any others yet.

Scott should dress up in a white suit and string tie at least once during the campaign; older voters who remember Colonel Sanders may be more likely to remember him come voting day, at least if they like KFC

Maybe his slogan should be "A chicken in every pot!"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Saw lawn signs for Scott McKeen last night. Haven't seen signs for any others yet.
    A few Dexx Williams lawn signs are up in McCauley. Noticed a Heather McKenzie billboard along Jasper Avenue in Oliver the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    A few Dexx Williams lawn signs are up in McCauley. Noticed a Heather McKenzie billboard along Jasper Avenue in Oliver the other day.
    I saw a big sign for one of the female candidates in the window of Remedy Cafe downtown last night; it might have been Heather McKenzie, but the name escapes me

^ she has some billboards up too...

She didn't really impress me when I met her. But good luck to her.

^^ Yes it's Heather MacKenzie

There are a bunch of Derek Forsythe signs on 117 st between 108 and 111 ave. I wouldn't swear to it, but I think it is a lot of the same homes that had airport not for sale signs. There are a few Scott McKeen signs on both 117 and 116 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiran View Post
    There are a bunch of Derek Forsythe signs on 117 st between 108 and 111 ave. I wouldn't swear to it, but I think it is a lot of the same homes that had airport not for sale signs. There are a few Scott McKeen signs on both 117 and 116 as well.
    Derek's surpporters having the airport not for sale wouldn't surprise me, he came door knocking to my place last sunday and he said he had a lost of misgivings about the airport land. Mostly about the remediation costs he thinks has been understated.

He also said that he isn't keen on the slim lots in the mature neighbourhoods, something about how he feels that they would alter the character in those neighbourhoods with the long and slim housing on those lots right beside the "usual" size 1950's house. Though his arguments is more for the city and the developers of those lots to engage the community earlier on in the process and not come to them as a fait accompli.

Yeah, Top_Dawg figgers this Forsythe fella is by far the best of a poor lot.

Quote Originally Posted by NGlenora View Post
    He also said that he isn't keen on the slim lots in the mature neighbourhoods, something about how he feels that they would alter the character in those neighbourhoods with the long and slim housing on those lots right beside the "usual" size 1950's house. Though his arguments is more for the city and the developers of those lots to engage the community earlier on in the process and not come to them as a fait accompli.
    The slim lots aren't that much skinnier than my 1925 lot and I'd say the duplexes change the character more than they will. Of course I don't object to the well designed duplexes either.

^exactly. What's the difference between two narrow lot homes and a semi-detached? The narrow lot homes are single-detached, people should be happier about that.

I don't know that Forsythe has done his research, there was a ton of consultation regarding the infill residential changes passed last March.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    ^exactly. What's the difference between two narrow lot homes and a semi-detached? The narrow lot homes are single-detached, people should be happier about that.

I don't know that Forsythe has done his research, there was a ton of consultation regarding the infill residential changes passed last March.
    That consultation was done through the EFCL - not directly between the City and the affected communities. A number of CL Presidents - let alone the residents affected - had no idea this was coming.

and do the math on getting the max footprint allowed by the MNO on a 25 foot lot - the 17 foot wide house would have to be 62 feet long and likely go to the max height in order to offer the living space most people would want.

The big problem though - and the big lie - is that dividing lots and constructing two houses will result in housing that is more affordable for young families.

That simply isn't the case - no matter how you cut it - you can't get around land costs and you can't get around construction costs which industry experts have stated in front of Council are - at the low end - $170/square foot.

CMHC has an article on additional costs associated with the FLEX housing option - also suggested by infill developers to Council during the March 18 public hearing - that make this form of housing more expensive over time as compared to a non-FLEX option. See link below:

http://www.cmhc.ca/en/inpr/rehi/rehi_005.cfm

In the end - best case scenario - the new houses will be 30% more expensive to purchase as compared to a traditional home in a mature neighbourhood like North Glenora.

That's good for infill developers - not so good for residents who chose to live in older areas simply because they offer an affordable alternative to the tiny lots and big fences of the new developments.

Those are just the economic arguments - it doesn't address the effect of the knock on problems associated with doubling density in older neighbourhoods.

Wow... 16 total
    www.decl.org

^ It's a bit comical or at least some of the candidates are.

C2E SME

I am expecting a Gong show with this ward, when I saw 16 people running for the position I was quite surprised.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...ns/Ward_06.pdf

In an objective review, I see it as a 4 horse race:

Scott McKeen
    Heather MacKenzie
    Dexx Williams
    perhaps Derek Forsythe
    www.decl.org

^ I agree, from what I saw at the forum last week. Many of the other candidates are either uninformed of some issues, or lacking in public presentation skills, or skirting the edge of the lunatic fringe. Many of them are redundant, with identical beliefs and answers to the questions. At this point, I still think Colonel Sanders is streets ahead of the others.

Pride Centre Forum
    Wednesday, Sept 25, 7-9 pm
    10608 105 Avenue

Queen Mary Park
    Thursday, Sept 26, 7-9 pm
    10844 117 Street - Queen Mary Park Hall

City of Edmonton Ward 6 Candidate Forum
    Wednesday, Wed October 9, 7-9 pm
    10830-109 Street - St. Joseph Catholic High School

North Glenora Forum
    Wednesday, October 16, 7-9pm
    13535 109A Ave NW - North Glenora Community Hall
    www.decl.org

Lots of new large McKeen signs up... oh right, we did those

http://www.scottmckeen.ca/blog
    www.decl.org

Excellent Green Drink Election edition last night, good to see a bunch of candidates out mingling with people.

Scott McKeen and myself

(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVnwhljCEAAGZCU.jpg)
    www.decl.org

N-N-N-NASTY !!

Another incredible post with amazing insight...
    www.decl.org

Sounded like a great event, sad I missed it!
    www.decl.org

Some of the candidates running for council ( ward 6) sound like Diotte. the only one I like is Dexx

Dexx is personable, friendly and articulate, but having lived in Ward 6 for 7 years now, I have never seen him active be it in his police work or community involvement. I like some of his platform, but find him falling short when he discusses the vision for downtown, ward 6 and how it can lead in terms of alternative transportation, development infill and supporting business development.

*disclosure - I work on McKeen's team
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Dexx is personable, friendly and articulate, but having lived in Ward 6 for 7 years now, I have never seen him active be it in his police work or community involvement. I like some of his platform, but find him falling short when he discusses the vision for downtown, ward 6 and how it can lead in terms of alternative transportation, development infill and supporting business development.

I was looking at him as well Ian. Just those two though

I think McKeen looks like the best out of the bunch. I've always enjoyed his perspectives.

The only other candidate I considered seriously was Heather Mackenzie, who seems bright, articulate and understands downtown well.

Both would work well with the new mayor.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

Heather was too conciliatory from what I saw of her but she was nice to talk to.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 09-10-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Top_Dawg figgers this is actually a positive for Dexx Williams.

In Top_Dawg's experience, these community hacktivist types invariably prove to be little more than vapid windbags swept up in grandiose dreams and schemes which do little more than squander other people's money.

Top_Dawg likes candidates grounded in reality.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Posts 81 to here were moved from the mayor's thread.
    Ow

^ one needs to compensate for adopting a dog persona who refers to himself in the third person some how I guess lol..

From what I understand C2E was never originally intended for people to be anonymous. I wouldn't mind if people were forced to use their own name.
    www.decl.org

Exactly. The intent was to not be anonymous.
    www.decl.org

I have no problem with telling people here who I am, but I'm a pretty private person at work, and I won't post my full googleable name to any public site. I hope that doesn't make people discount my thoughts and opinions automatically, but if it does, oh well.

To lead this back onto the topic at hand, though, if anyone else is planning on going to the City of Edmonton Ward 6 forum tonight at St. Joseph Catholic High School, feel free to come up and say hi. I'm a middle-aged, curly-haired redhead with glasses and I'll be in jeans, a burgundy top, and a funky necklace.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

^not discount and I think we can all respect privacy when needed, but we had hoped to have more proper names to keep this legitimate and respectful. It would also assist in connecting people.
    www.decl.org

^ I guess my own experiences have tended to suggest that legitimacy and respect on the internet don't actually tend to be related to the use of real names, so I reject that premise. I've certainly seen enough rude blowhards on the internet who use their real names, and plenty of pseudonymous users who are plenty respectful. And in many cases (mine included), the pseudonym itself has a history that can be used to identify someone. If you look up "Idealistic Pragmatist," you learn about what I've done on the internet, whereas if you look up my real name, you mostly learn about my work, which is much less relevant.

Scott McKeen and myself

While you speak to your 2-fisted drinking prowess, perhaps you could also explain your guys words from last night's candidate forum!

Alexandra Zabjek - Edmonton Journal: I don’t see myself ever self-identifying as a politician. Honestly, the word gives me the willies,” said Scott McKeen, a former Journal columnist, adding he is “hard-wired to be curious and skeptical” of political and police institutions.

^ I wasn't impressed with that line, either. If you're running for office (and especially if you're one of the ones most likely to win!) then you're a politician, like it or not. There's enough cynicism in the world about politicians; propagating that by saying, essentially, "but I'm different from the rest of these candidates" is both arrogant and damaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Scott McKeen and myself

While you speak to your 2-fisted drinking prowess, perhaps you could also explain your guys words from last night's candidate forum!

Alexandra Zabjek - Edmonton Journal: I don’t see myself ever self-identifying as a politician. Honestly, the word gives me the willies,” said Scott McKeen, a former Journal columnist, adding he is “hard-wired to be curious and skeptical” of political and police institutions.
    Hahaha... was waiting for someone to say something about that. Someone has to hold Scott's daughters (photographer's) drink.

He sees himself as a public servant, to serve the citizens of his ward.
    www.decl.org

I think there can be a difference between being a politician, as in someone who holds public office for some amount of time, and someone who is a Politician, who's whole life revolves around it.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Perhaps. But if he takes office, he will have to face the negative stereotypes that *he* helped perpetuate.

Eve

^Sorry, what negative stereotypes? I'm just curious.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    I think there can be a difference between being a politician, as in someone who holds public office for some amount of time, and someone who is a Politician, who's whole life revolves around it.

Unfortunately, over time, they invariably end up the latter.

Burning other people's money while lining their own pockets becomes too addictive.

It's like crack.

Once they get a taste of it, there's no goin' back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast