Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 123 of 123

Thread: Curtis Penner

  1. #101
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    5,401

    Default

    While there is some argument to be made for converting these spaces to parkland there is most definitely no moral issue surrounding the decision. And comparing the decision to war crimes is reprehensible in the extreme.

    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

  2. #102
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    While there is some argument to be made for converting these spaces to parkland there is most definitely no moral issue surrounding the decision. And comparing the decision to war crimes is reprehensible in the extreme.
    thank you...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  3. #103

    Default

    ^^ Absolutely correct.

    Makes his own argument weaker by far.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  4. #104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    While there is some argument to be made for converting these spaces to parkland there is most definitely no moral issue surrounding the decision. And comparing the decision to war crimes is reprehensible in the extreme.
    No, making moral comparisons so that people can understand the underlying issue is not reprehensible. Yes, of course the Nazi's are an extreme comparison. But it makes the point. Council needs to stop and think.

    Here is the video in full context.

    http://www.curtispenner.ca/blog/dear...zing-our-parks

    Curtis

  5. #105

    Default

    Someone definitely needs to stop and think.

    Someone who is ironically scapegoating indiscriminantly for selfish ends, and trivialising others remembrances in the process.

    Despicable.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  6. #106

    Default

    Selfish ends? I don't live in Twin Brooks. And I'm not scapegoating. I'm holding these people to account. They are responsible for their actions, which are reprehensible. They used to have a leader which demanded they vote in favour of the wrong behavior. They now have a new leader. Each represents a specific ward and there are some cases where they should actually be listening to their constituents instead of continuing with a morally reprehensible prior course of action. This is such a case. It is time for them to leave the corporatism (i.e. fascism) behind them for a bit and actually do what their constituents want.

    http://www.curtispenner.ca/blog/dear...zing-our-parks

  7. #107
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    5,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curtispenner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    While there is some argument to be made for converting these spaces to parkland there is most definitely no moral issue surrounding the decision. And comparing the decision to war crimes is reprehensible in the extreme.
    No, making moral comparisons so that people can understand the underlying issue is not reprehensible. Yes, of course the Nazi's are an extreme comparison. But it makes the point. Council needs to stop and think.

    Here is the video in full context.

    http://www.curtispenner.ca/blog/dear...zing-our-parks

    Curtis
    You're argument fails on it's first premise as there is nothing immoral about council's decision irrespective of whether it is a good decision or not. Further the fact that you would compare council's decision to some of the worst war crimes in history is immoral and vile.

    Based on this and past behaviour it's clear that you put your belief in your own correctness above everything else including respect. Narcissism is a poor foundation for decision making, weakens your position and the position of any issue you choose to support. Right now you are single handedly tearing down whatever sympathy may have existed for you position on this issue.

    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

  8. #108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    You're argument fails on it's first premise as there is nothing immoral about council's decision irrespective of whether it is a good decision or not. Further the fact that you would compare council's decision to some of the worst war crimes in history is immoral and vile.
    Governments are always the ones to lead us down the path of the worst immorality and vileness as societies. It didn't stop with the Nazis. It marches on. Sometimes good people vote for bad things by mistake. But they do it nonetheless. What council is doing here is indeed immoral. It is theft.

  9. #109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curtispenner View Post
    S...s[/url]
    Despicable.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  10. #110

    Default

    No man escapes when freedom fails, the best men rot in filthy jails. And those who cried,"appease appease" are hung by those they tried to please.

    - anonymous

  11. #111
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    5,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curtispenner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    You're argument fails on it's first premise as there is nothing immoral about council's decision irrespective of whether it is a good decision or not. Further the fact that you would compare council's decision to some of the worst war crimes in history is immoral and vile.
    Governments are always the ones to lead us down the path of the worst immorality and vileness as societies. It didn't stop with the Nazis. It marches on. Sometimes good people vote for bad things by mistake. But they do it nonetheless. What council is doing here is indeed immoral. It is theft.
    Your fanaticism on that point is the single biggest reason a large number of people who might otherwise support you will not. You are your own worst enemy and have set your course to be viewed as someone who poisons every issue they get involved in. Too bad as you seem bright and have the potential to effect change but if you can't build consensus you will always fail.

    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

  12. #112

  13. #113

    Default

    Ground control to Major Tom:

    You're comparing the process of building homes to the Holocaust.

    No excuses.

    You're not saving anyone or making anything better. You're ridiculing what might be a debate and perhaps intentionally devaluing the democratic process.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  14. #114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Ground control to Major Tom:

    You're comparing the process of building homes to the Holocaust.

    No excuses.

    You're not saving anyone or making anything better. You're ridiculing what might be a debate and perhaps intentionally devaluing the democratic process.
    Someone has to get their hands dirty. I'm fine with being the guys that gets laughed at or scorned while actively doing something....because I'm at least doing something. I always take notes on what to improve and change...and yes I'm not always the best at not stepping on anyone's toes. So sorry if any of you are offended.

    Just out there doing my best. I'm sure it will never be enough...but it's my best.

    Curtis

  15. #115

    Default

    The ends you may be able to affect, but the means are 100% under your control and 100% your own responsibility.

    Your means have likely done irreparable damage to your ends and I wonder how much to your own reputation.

    I would suggest you can do far better than your "best."
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  16. #116
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curtispenner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Ground control to Major Tom:

    You're comparing the process of building homes to the Holocaust.

    No excuses.

    You're not saving anyone or making anything better. You're ridiculing what might be a debate and perhaps intentionally devaluing the democratic process.
    Someone has to get their hands dirty. I'm fine with being the guys that gets laughed at or scorned while actively doing something....because I'm at least doing something. I always take notes on what to improve and change...and yes I'm not always the best at not stepping on anyone's toes. So sorry if any of you are offended.

    Just out there doing my best. I'm sure it will never be enough...but it's my best.

    Curtis
    you - in front of them and on your blog - compared edmonton city councilors to war criminals.

    to quote from your own blog, "I finished with the notion that Edmonton City Council must hold itself to moral account. In World War II, the Nazi soldiers that continued firing on innocent concentration camp victims long after Hitzer [sic] had been defeated represented the worst of humanity. They lost the thin moral claim to the notion that they were under orders or that "they were just doing their job". It was these soldiers that were hung at Nuremberg."

    it's one thing "to get your hands dirty" while trying to get something done. it's quite another getting your hands dirty simply by slinging crap at people trying to do the right thing.

    not only are you are wrong in your base assumptions, your "best" - if that is indeed what has been on display here - isn't just "never enough". in this case your "best" is also amoral and offensive.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  17. #117

    Default

    It's easy to be an armchair critic. There's lots of them in forums especially. Were you there at City Hall today? I'm informed that 13 citizens spoke against and two in favour, namely someone from CMHC and a local developer. You should have come and contributed to the debate.

  18. #118

    Default

    I didn't have time off work myself, but I wrote an email to council and mayor a few times on this subject (past and present)

    As with most things, vocal minority, silent majority. Move on...

  19. #119
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curtispenner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Ground control to Major Tom:

    You're comparing the process of building homes to the Holocaust.

    No excuses.

    You're not saving anyone or making anything better. You're ridiculing what might be a debate and perhaps intentionally devaluing the democratic process.
    Someone has to get their hands dirty. I'm fine with being the guys that gets laughed at or scorned while actively doing something....because I'm at least doing something. I always take notes on what to improve and change...and yes I'm not always the best at not stepping on anyone's toes. So sorry if any of you are offended.

    Just out there doing my best. I'm sure it will never be enough...but it's my best.

    Curtis
    I think you've done your cause a great disservice.
    City Council is going to have a hard time taking any of your concerns seriously any more.
    Your credibility has been shot to hell.
    The residents you claim to represent likely want nothing to do with you anymore; if I was one of them I'd be very embarrassed right now.
    Oh, and good luck next time you want to run for any public position - mayor, council, community league board. Your comments will haunt you. You'll be forever painted as a loony candidate like Buffalo Terminator.
    Bravo.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  20. #120
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,494

    Default

    The viability of existing schools in neighbourhoods with surplus school sites will benefit from the modest increased attendance generated by the young families who buy their starter homes from the First Place Home Ownership Program.

    In the Twin Brooks neighbourhood, for instance, George P. Nicholson school is only 79% full, and has experienced a 5.5% decline in student attendance since 2009.
    Details here: http://files.epsb.ca/schoolprofiles/latest/004.pdf

    Community leagues with surplus school sites should be welcoming these new families with open arms, rather than complaining about the loss of a small amount of open space never designated or intended to be included in the neighbourhood's allocated park space.

  21. #121
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curtispenner View Post
    It's easy to be an armchair critic. There's lots of them in forums especially. Were you there at City Hall today? I'm informed that 13 citizens spoke against and two in favour, namely someone from CMHC and a local developer. You should have come and contributed to the debate.
    when it comes to civic issues i've been called all sorts of things... opinionated, wordy, stubborn and others all come to mind but never "an armchair quarterback". i've never shied away from a topic i've felt worthy of debate and/or discussion in private or in public, in front of council or in forums, in writing or in person. was i there today? no, i was not. but if i had been it would have been in support of what council is trying to accomplish across the city with this initiative. and doing so wouldn't have put me in the same category as a war criminal any more than anyone else - city councillor or not - who happens to disagree with you.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  22. #122
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Where ever the pilot takes me
    Posts
    2,087

    Default

    Considering the immense suffering that others have endured, using their experience in such a trivial fashion to justify one's position is just a tad insensitive and diminishes what they went through. I have friends whose parents were survivors of the holocaust, they would not be pleased.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

  23. #123
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,494
    Blog Entries
    2
    Ow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •