Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curtis Penner

I'd rather C2E than work!

While there is some argument to be made for converting these spaces to parkland there is most definitely no moral issue surrounding the decision. And comparing the decision to war crimes is reprehensible in the extreme.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    While there is some argument to be made for converting these spaces to parkland there is most definitely no moral issue surrounding the decision. And comparing the decision to war crimes is reprehensible in the extreme.
    thank you...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^^ Absolutely correct.

Makes his own argument weaker by far.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

No, making moral comparisons so that people can understand the underlying issue is not reprehensible. Yes, of course the Nazi's are an extreme comparison. But it makes the point. Council needs to stop and think.

Here is the video in full context.

http://www.curtispenner.ca/blog/dear...zing-our-parks

Curtis

Someone definitely needs to stop and think.

Someone who is ironically scapegoating indiscriminantly for selfish ends, and trivialising others remembrances in the process.

Despicable.

Selfish ends? I don't live in Twin Brooks. And I'm not scapegoating. I'm holding these people to account. They are responsible for their actions, which are reprehensible. They used to have a leader which demanded they vote in favour of the wrong behavior. They now have a new leader. Each represents a specific ward and there are some cases where they should actually be listening to their constituents instead of continuing with a morally reprehensible prior course of action. This is such a case. It is time for them to leave the corporatism (i.e. fascism) behind them for a bit and actually do what their constituents want.

Quote Originally Posted by curtispenner View Post
    No, making moral comparisons so that people can understand the underlying issue is not reprehensible. Yes, of course the Nazi's are an extreme comparison. But it makes the point. Council needs to stop and think.

Here is the video in full context.

Curtis
    You're argument fails on it's first premise as there is nothing immoral about council's decision irrespective of whether it is a good decision or not. Further the fact that you would compare council's decision to some of the worst war crimes in history is immoral and vile.

Based on this and past behaviour it's clear that you put your belief in your own correctness above everything else including respect. Narcissism is a poor foundation for decision making, weakens your position and the position of any issue you choose to support. Right now you are single handedly tearing down whatever sympathy may have existed for you position on this issue.

You're argument fails on it's first premise as there is nothing immoral about council's decision irrespective of whether it is a good decision or not. Further the fact that you would compare council's decision to some of the worst war crimes in history is immoral and vile.
    Governments are always the ones to lead us down the path of the worst immorality and vileness as societies. It didn't stop with the Nazis. It marches on. Sometimes good people vote for bad things by mistake. But they do it nonetheless. What council is doing here is indeed immoral. It is theft.

S...s[/url]
    Despicable.

No man escapes when freedom fails, the best men rot in filthy jails. And those who cried,"appease appease" are hung by those they tried to please.

- anonymous

Governments are always the ones to lead us down the path of the worst immorality and vileness as societies. It didn't stop with the Nazis. It marches on. Sometimes good people vote for bad things by mistake. But they do it nonetheless. What council is doing here is indeed immoral. It is theft.
    Your fanaticism on that point is the single biggest reason a large number of people who might otherwise support you will not. You are your own worst enemy and have set your course to be viewed as someone who poisons every issue they get involved in. Too bad as you seem bright and have the potential to effect change but if you can't build consensus you will always fail.

Ground control to Major Tom:

You're comparing the process of building homes to the Holocaust.

No excuses.

You're not saving anyone or making anything better. You're ridiculing what might be a debate and perhaps intentionally devaluing the democratic process.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post

No excuses.

You're not saving anyone or making anything better. You're ridiculing what might be a debate and perhaps intentionally devaluing the democratic process.
    Someone has to get their hands dirty. I'm fine with being the guys that gets laughed at or scorned while actively doing something....because I'm at least doing something. I always take notes on what to improve and change...and yes I'm not always the best at not stepping on anyone's toes. So sorry if any of you are offended.

Just out there doing my best. I'm sure it will never be enough...but it's my best.

Curtis

The ends you may be able to affect, but the means are 100% under your control and 100% your own responsibility.

Your means have likely done irreparable damage to your ends and I wonder how much to your own reputation.

I would suggest you can do far better than your "best."

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

No excuses.

Someone has to get their hands dirty. I'm fine with being the guys that gets laughed at or scorned while actively doing something....because I'm at least doing something. I always take notes on what to improve and change...and yes I'm not always the best at not stepping on anyone's toes. So sorry if any of you are offended.

Just out there doing my best. I'm sure it will never be enough...but it's my best.

Curtis
    you - in front of them and on your blog - compared edmonton city councilors to war criminals.

to quote from your own blog, "I finished with the notion that Edmonton City Council must hold itself to moral account. In World War II, the Nazi soldiers that continued firing on innocent concentration camp victims long after Hitzer [sic] had been defeated represented the worst of humanity. They lost the thin moral claim to the notion that they were under orders or that "they were just doing their job". It was these soldiers that were hung at Nuremberg."

it's one thing "to get your hands dirty" while trying to get something done. it's quite another getting your hands dirty simply by slinging crap at people trying to do the right thing.

not only are you are wrong in your base assumptions, your "best" - if that is indeed what has been on display here - isn't just "never enough". in this case your "best" is also amoral and offensive.

It's easy to be an armchair critic. There's lots of them in forums especially. Were you there at City Hall today? I'm informed that 13 citizens spoke against and two in favour, namely someone from CMHC and a local developer. You should have come and contributed to the debate.

I didn't have time off work myself, but I wrote an email to council and mayor a few times on this subject (past and present)

As with most things, vocal minority, silent majority. Move on...

C2E Long Term Contributor

No excuses.

Curtis
    I think you've done your cause a great disservice.
    City Council is going to have a hard time taking any of your concerns seriously any more.
    Your credibility has been shot to hell.
    The residents you claim to represent likely want nothing to do with you anymore; if I was one of them I'd be very embarrassed right now.
    Oh, and good luck next time you want to run for any public position - mayor, council, community league board. Your comments will haunt you. You'll be forever painted as a loony candidate like Buffalo Terminator.
    Bravo.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The viability of existing schools in neighbourhoods with surplus school sites will benefit from the modest increased attendance generated by the young families who buy their starter homes from the First Place Home Ownership Program.

In the Twin Brooks neighbourhood, for instance, George P. Nicholson school is only 79% full, and has experienced a 5.5% decline in student attendance since 2009.
    Details here: http://files.epsb.ca/schoolprofiles/latest/004.pdf

Community leagues with surplus school sites should be welcoming these new families with open arms, rather than complaining about the loss of a small amount of open space never designated or intended to be included in the neighbourhood's allocated park space.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

It's easy to be an armchair critic. There's lots of them in forums especially. Were you there at City Hall today? I'm informed that 13 citizens spoke against and two in favour, namely someone from CMHC and a local developer. You should have come and contributed to the debate.
    when it comes to civic issues i've been called all sorts of things... opinionated, wordy, stubborn and others all come to mind but never "an armchair quarterback". i've never shied away from a topic i've felt worthy of debate and/or discussion in private or in public, in front of council or in forums, in writing or in person. was i there today? no, i was not. but if i had been it would have been in support of what council is trying to accomplish across the city with this initiative. and doing so wouldn't have put me in the same category as a war criminal any more than anyone else - city councillor or not - who happens to disagree with you.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Considering the immense suffering that others have endured, using their experience in such a trivial fashion to justify one's position is just a tad insensitive and diminishes what they went through. I have friends whose parents were survivors of the holocaust, they would not be pleased.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries
    Ow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12