Thread: DECL's new frontage - 10042 - 103st

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default DECL's new frontage - 10042 - 103st

DECL's new 'retail' frontage Thanks Greenspace

We are in the final stages of getting this open to the public/community for events and dialog.

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

based on what I see, your group has done an incredible job with this transformation. kudos. look forward to popping in when ready.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

^you will be getting an invite, don't worry
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

I have been past on a few occasions (I live on 103rd) and the place is excellent, great for DECL to have offices. Just wish they would finish digging up 103rd so I could see you again!!
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

www.decl.org

Needs a patio and awning!
    More signage would help too.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

LOL ... what, you aren't impressed with the Canada Action Plan sign???

C'mon Ian, SDM has a point, walk the walk - let's see a patio!!
    ... gobsmacked

Oh you guys... we barely have the paint dry.

That said, we will be applying for a patio and have additional plans that will roll out this summer.
    www.decl.org

C2E Super Addict

In all fairness, given the amount of flack other businesses get for their frontages etc. by the so-say "guardians of all things progressive", this is a bit, how shall I put it?...Underwhelming.

^in all fairness we are all volunteers, have little in the way of funds, are far from 'done' yet and plan to walk the talk.

jeepers
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

When does the bar open for volunteers this is amazing, very few organizations are willing to take the risk of having downtown offices. Hopefully we can purchase DECL memberships inside?
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

I notice the Edmonton Community League Federation refers to DECL as an "Association" but DECL uses the word "League" The DECL website does not describe the boundary of DECL - but the Federation provides a loose map with confusing blue lines that overlap...where it appears there is no community league or is undecided?

I see the new arena is not within the boundary of DECL, but the Wintergarden would be once it reaches over 104.

http://www.efcl.org/Portals/0/resour...%20F%20Map.pdf
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 05-06-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    In all fairness, given the amount of flack other businesses get for their frontages etc. by the so-say "guardians of all things progressive", this is a bit, how shall I put it?...Underwhelming.
    Tough words from a guy who's done nothing more than type on the internet. Ian's contributions in the real world have had real impact.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I want to make a side-note that I really like how the parkade that houses the DECL has had those long horizontal slabs painted in graded steps of raspberry/pink. It's a colour choice I just wouldn't have foreseen for dt, I think it's enlivening without being loud, and is the kind of simple, easy beautification measure that I wish many more landlords took with their own blank expanses of concrete.

Anyone know when it was painted as such?
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Tough words from a guy who's done nothing more than tr0ll on the internet. Ian's contributions in the real world have had real impact.
    Fixed that for you
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Tough words from a guy who's done nothing more than tr0ll on the internet. Ian's contributions in the real world have had real impact.
    Fixed that for you
    I thought it a fairly reasonable comment considering the badgering others have received for uglying up our fair city. People who take the high ground really should be seen to be leading by example don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    I notice the Edmonton Community League Federation refers to DECL as an "Association" but DECL uses the word "League" The DECL website does not describe the boundary of DECL - but the Federation provides a loose map with confusing blue lines that overlap...where it appears there is no community league or is undecided?

I see the new arena is not within the boundary of DECL, but the Wintergarden would be once it reaches over 104.

http://www.efcl.org/Portals/0/resour...%20F%20Map.pdf
    I can assure you we are a league. In fact, this is our 10th Anniversary. If it says otherwise on the website, it just has never been updated.

The arena is indeed part of our boundaries - our northern boundary is 105 Avenue.

Some leagues have had overlapping boundaries for quite some time. Those are in the process of being resolved.
    www.decl.org

Fixed that for you
    I thought it a fairly reasonable comment considering the badgering others have received for uglying up our fair city. People who take the high ground really should be seen to be leading by example don't you think?
    IanO's a bit overzealous to post pictures and share our new space with the world because he is proud of what we have already accomplished. No harm in sharing. In fact, we have done this project on a shoe-string budget, and it is not finished yet. Give us another month or two for our volunteers to get it all together - exterior signage, temporary signs will be down, patio, etc.

That said, it is already an incredible improvement on what was there, to which you have given us no credit. It was an unused space for over 25 years in which we took a proactive approach to improve in our downtown.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Hey, he did call our city 'fair'. Things are looking up.

Fixed that for you
    You realize by "fixing that for him" you can get him banned as the admin said that word is banned and anyone attempting to bypass the filter will be banned themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    The arena is indeed part of our boundaries - our northern boundary is 105 Avenue.
    The map on the Federation website does not show that. The line drawn informs Avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    The map on the Federation website does not show that. The line drawn informs Avenue.
    The map shows overlapping boundaries, many of which have been resolved. It is not current.
    www.decl.org

'IanO's a bit overzealous'

^^no you are
    www.decl.org

Haha. New pictures:

Stuff to come, depending on funding opportunities and fundraising efforts:

- Exterior signage
    - Sandwich board for events
    - Temporary patio chairs (and associated license)
    - Message board inside windows (so we won't post anything in the windows themselves)

Just so you know, our grant arrangement with the Feds requires us to have the Canada Action Plan sign in the window until March 2014.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Cool!

Is that scooter an urbanista prop that's part of the DECL image?
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

prop Scott McKeen dropped by DECL and the parkade party to say hi.
    www.decl.org

^^^Hope the "No Parking/Loading Zone" signs and post are up for urban redevelopment.

311 already called... believe it was hit by a truck when they were redoing 103st's water.
    www.decl.org

How long do the signs in the window have to stay up?

Action plan for a while yet, new DECL sign forthcoming, contractor sign not much longer.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    Cool!

Is that scooter an urbanista prop that's part of the DECL image?
    No, EDP dropped by for a visit.

A couple of new DECL bike racks, well public, but DECL asked for them. Sadly because of the decorative brick sidewalk out front, these are as close as they can put them, but we will take em!

www.decl.org

And there's Top_Dawg trudging home after yet another shift at Hawkeye's.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

And there's Top_Dawg trudging home after yet another shift at Hawkeye's.
    Liar. That fellow is bipedal.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.