Thread: A woonerf in Edmonton?

Default A woonerf in Edmonton?

I'd love to see something like this running up 102ave, perhaps from (or incorporated into) low floor line, up through railtown and up to Oliver. Do you think it would work there or somewhere else in Edmonton?

http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/s...tml?id=8501700

On Monday, city council will be asked to consider allocating some of the $4.6 million from the 2012 Calgary Parking Authority surplus to transform Catherine Avenue into a woonerf — a concept that allows vehicles but limits speeds to walking pace to give walkers and cyclist room to travel.

The Catherine Avenue woonerf proposal would involve the city formalizing a legal lane behind parcels at 8th Avenue S.E. between 12th and 13th streets S.E.

A woonerf would serve as the new lane. The plan would create 48 parking spaces, according to a city report.

“The intent here is to construct these spaces to replace the surface parking lot off of 12th Street S.E. that is currently used for Rouge restaurant. The surface parking lot would be reclaimed to become part of the surrounding river park,” the report reads.
    Last edited by moahunter; 10-06-2013 at 08:31 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^Would the LRT also travel at walking speeds on 102 Avenue under your proposal?

If I understand the concept correctly, Edmonton already has at least one example of a woonerf - Rice Howard Way. The redesign of 108 Street between 99 and 104 Avenues also has some features of a woonerf.

^Good observation, as does 104 Street. All the streets mention would benefit from a jaywalking bylaw exemption (RHW already does of course).
    www.decl.org

^I guess that the difference there, the ability to walk on the street as you choose. I still think 102 ave could be a fantastic bike / pedestrian commuter road, with this concept allowing autos to still reach local properties.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^I guess that the difference there, the ability to walk on the street as you choose. I still think 102 ave could be a fantastic bike / pedestrian commuter road, with this concept allowing autos to still reach local properties.
    102 ave would need waaay more street level retail and enterances than it currently does for this to even make sense.