Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 501 to 518 of 518

Thread: Canada Safeway sold to Sobeys

  1. #501

    Default

    If I remember correctly, Safeway had planned to make this same move about 10 or 15 years ago but Bill Smith talked them out of it. Or something like that.

  2. #502
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    4,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    So another win for Calgary.

    And of course another loss for Garlic City.

    Top_Dawg is hearing that MacDonald's Consolidated has built a state-of-the-art distribution facility in Calgary to service all of Alberta.

    Employees have been given notice that MC will be closing the Edmonton warehouse by end of summer.

    Was EEDC asleep at the switch yet again ?

    And....

    they're gone.

    Top_Dawg heard from a reliable source that the entire night shift was terminated last week.

    Day shift gets ***** canned this week.

    It's all over.

  3. #503

    Default

    That's capitalism for ya.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  4. #504

    Default

    ^yup, a study was just done re Ontario that the increase in minimum wage is simply going to result in more automation of retail checkouts and similar - there will be less jobs as automation takes over. Its the same with warehousing / distribution, as labor costs go up, and technology costs go down, the jobs are going and government moves to raise labor costs will only accelerate that. This McDonalds warehouse move is a classic case. Calgary has been clever as they have positioned themselves to benefit from the change - even today, they prioritize the airport for infrastructure development to support the growing distribution hub / inland port (that Edmonton missed out on by dithering too much):

    Mayor Naheed Nenshi said the process is all about prioritizing projects and freeing up money, whether in partnership with private enterprises or other governments, so the city can work through its wish list.

    "This stuff is all critical, it all needs to be built and it's all unfunded," he said.

    From a geographic standpoint, that means concentrating on areas around the airport to position Calgary as a major inland port: the culture and entertainment district in east downtown, the Rivers District and in Victoria Park — including the Stampede grounds; and the innovation/education/wellness area around Foothills Hospital and the University of Calgary.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...plan-1.4011462
    Last edited by moahunter; 14-08-2017 at 11:32 AM.

  5. #505
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    So another win for Calgary.

    And of course another loss for Garlic City.

    Top_Dawg is hearing that MacDonald's Consolidated has built a state-of-the-art distribution facility in Calgary to service all of Alberta.

    Employees have been given notice that MC will be closing the Edmonton warehouse by end of summer.

    Was EEDC asleep at the switch yet again ?

    And....

    they're gone.

    Top_Dawg heard from a reliable source that the entire night shift was terminated last week.

    Day shift gets ***** canned this week.

    It's all over.
    So what is Mayor Mcbike lane's doing??????

  6. #506

    Default

    We're behind Calgary in bike lanes too....
    There can only be one.

  7. #507
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,920

    Default

    May be an example of socialism vs capitalism. Edmonton being socialistic, Calgary being Alberta's shining example of capitalism at work.

  8. #508
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sherwood park
    Posts
    2,480

    Default

    Hilarious Drumbones!

  9. #509
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,668

    Default

    Right, because there's a big difference in the economic, fiscal, and social policies between the two cities. I mean, they're as different from each other as Seoul and Pyongyang, after all.

  10. #510
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    5,629

    Default

    And Nippon Cargo and Air China have chosen YEG over YYC to connect the USA with Japan and China.

    Yes, sucks to lose McDonalds Consolidated, but the sky isn't falling. Just real smokey!
    ... gobsmacked

  11. #511
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,920

    Default

    Just conversation fodder. We will even have the tallest building now. Times are a changin'. (YEG is in Leduc county. Edmontons airport closed) lol
    Last edited by Drumbones; 14-08-2017 at 07:56 PM.

  12. #512
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Just conversation fodder. We will even have the tallest building now. Times are a changin'. (YEG is in Leduc county. Edmontons airport closed) lol
    You realize that to build an airport anywhere outside of where Edmonton proper has built up would require said airport to be in one of the surrounding counties, right? Unless of course you want it as close to the city proper as it is to Leduc, which I don't think anyone is in favour of considering the pollution, noise, etc that comes with such things. The airport is also much closer time wise to most people now with the highway system etc.

  13. #513

    Default

    Vancouver's airport is in richmond. Seattle's airport is in Tacoma. Toronto's airport is in mississauga. Examples like this could fill this entire thread... Edmonton's airport is YEG, and that's why it's called Edmonton International Airport, not Leduc County International Airport.

  14. #514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^yup, a study was just done re Ontario that the increase in minimum wage is simply going to result in more automation of retail checkouts and similar - there will be less jobs as automation takes over. Its the same with warehousing / distribution, as labor costs go up, and technology costs go down, the jobs are going and government moves to raise labor costs will only accelerate that. This McDonalds warehouse move is a classic case. Calgary has been clever as they have positioned themselves to benefit from the change - even today, they prioritize the airport for infrastructure development to support the growing distribution hub / inland port (that Edmonton missed out on by dithering too much):

    Mayor Naheed Nenshi said the process is all about prioritizing projects and freeing up money, whether in partnership with private enterprises or other governments, so the city can work through its wish list.

    "This stuff is all critical, it all needs to be built and it's all unfunded," he said.

    From a geographic standpoint, that means concentrating on areas around the airport to position Calgary as a major inland port: the culture and entertainment district in east downtown, the Rivers District and in Victoria Park — including the Stampede grounds; and the innovation/education/wellness area around Foothills Hospital and the University of Calgary.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...plan-1.4011462
    I'll add to this, the only real reason we didn't see more automation here even earlier was TFW's. As soon as they started drying up, McD's installed thousands of self-order screens to replace them. It was coming, minimum wages or not.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  15. #515

    Default

    I just noticed the other day that the Abbotsfield Safeway has closed. Sobeys and Safeway combined for 100% of the market in the area just a few years ago, now completely ceded to No-frills and Walmart.

    I can't say I'm surprised, I only go in for sales and it was always empty, one till open.
    There can only be one.

  16. #516

    Default

    Sobey's Urban Fresh College Plaza is closing on June 16. They are directing shoppers to Safeway Garneau. I never understood the business sense of having them in such close proximity after the merger happened.

  17. #517

    Default

    I hate mergers.

  18. #518
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    4,542

    Default

    They rarely work out well. I worked for a company that went through a merger. It was hell.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •