Thread: Karen Leibovici enters the race for mayor

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Default Karen Leibovici enters the race for mayor

Looks like Karen has thrown her hat into the ring.

https://twitter.com/SunAngeliqueR/st...950016/photo/1

Interesting to see which councilors were there to support her, maybe Diotte got lost on his way there

A number of fellow city councillors were seen at Thursday’s announcement at the CKUA building downtown, including Dave Loken, Amarjeet Sohi, Kim Krushell and Tony Caterina.
    Last edited by Hilman; 13-06-2013 at 12:36 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

What? Caterina is supporting her?! That, I'm surprised by.

So... safe to say that Diotte has 0% Council support.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA View Post
    So... safe to say that Diotte has 0% Council support.
    It would appear so. When the dust settles, it is the voter's support that will determine who is the Mayor. One just has to look at Toronto to see an example of that. Let's just hope that the voters take the time and check out the options.

You can have a candidate say all the right things to the voters but do damage to the City or you can have a candidate that will work to make the City better. You decide.

Diotte not only has 0% council support, there are council members who will be campaigning against him. Look for one member to take to the airwaves to attempt to discredit him. Liebovici has significant council support. Iveson will also enter the race and there will likely be others, including some not currently on council.

Karen brings many fine qualities to the Mayoralty campaign. She also won't be lacking for money or organization.

If Iveson runs, there will be 3 credible incumbent Councillors vying for the Mayor's chair appealing to quite different constituencies. I'm not sure that's ever happened in Edmonton's history. Closest to it was back in 1977, when a former Councillor and mayoralty candidate (Purves) beat out strong challenges from 2 incumbent councillors (Decore, Cavanagh), and a former Mayor (Dent). And of course in 2004 an incumbent Councillor (Mandel) beat out an incumbent Mayor (Smith) and a former Councillor (Noce).

It's going to be an exciting race which will (hopefully) be reflected in voter turnout.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I split out the comments on another potential candidate to THIS THREAD. Pleae keep this to the topic of Karen Leibovici's campaign.
    Ow

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

AS per her website getting elected and re-elected is cited as most of her "accomplishments"

Gotta tweak that one a bit I think. Reads more like a career politician that loves the comfy chair and hasn't done all too much with that lifetime of politics.

"Key figure in 156 st. Overpass." yawn.

Gee, even Diotte might have had more feathers in cap after a quarter century of politics.

The question and answer part of the website reveals some promise but requires more to get it rolling. I like some of her stated positions and particularly that Edmonton shouldn't be doing all the heavy lifting for the region.

Seeing that Leibovici won't reveal much on her actual website maybe somebody could fill in the dots on what she's accomplished all these years. More info really is required. I imagine the website is a work in progress but right now as it stands not convincing at all. Does anybody think that summation would result in undecided votes? C'mon, this is a wide open "must sway voter" election. Whoever comes up with the best pitch wins.

Lets face it as well. This is not an ideal candidate. Its some unlikely mayoral candidate being propped up for lack of better people entering the race.

I think I'll vote Iveson.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-06-2013 at 12:27 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

Good to see Leibovici enter the race. Mind you, if Iveson also runs for mayor, it could be a tough 3-way battle. This will likely ramp up election numbers.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

First One is Always Free

So all of you anti-Diotte people chastised him for announcing without a platform. Oh wait...didn't Leibovici just do exactly the same thing? Further, her announcement speech was eerily similar to Diotte's...move approved projects forward, fix core services, grow a better Edmonton and develop a platform based on listening to what the people want.

But I digress...it will be a great election regardless.

Actually I chastised him for saying that he was going to making up his 'platform' as the campaign went on. I understand that a candidate doesn't reveal everything about their platform this early before a campaign, but the fact that a lot of his ideas aren't going to be thought up in advance is the issue. If Leibovici had said something similar, I would be going after her as well.
    Don't feed the trolls!

trmpt - I gave Diotte several weeks to establish some sort of platform. You've barely given Leibovici 24 hours..

First One is Always Free

Scottie - fair enough but Leibovici said on Global news this morning she will be making hers up as she goes too as it is a long 4 month campaign.

Medwards - By her own admission to the media, she stated her platform will be developed throughout the campaign...just like Diotte's and that she actually won't really discuss any of it until September when people start paying attention.

So again, I ask where the difference is...

And again...I digress.

Actually Diotte isn't developing a platform. his platform is simply "Your money, Our city, I'm listening"... Leibovici is actually going to develop a platform.

that's the difference.

First One is Always Free

I am certain Diotte is doing what he stated he will do by developing a platform based on concerns of the voters...ironically just as Leibovici weeks later has stated she is doing. Therefore, there is no difference. We will just have to wait and see what they both come up with.