Thread: Don Iveson for Mayor (formerly will he run for mayor)

Default Don Iveson for Mayor (formerly will he run for mayor)

ADMIN EDIT

Split out from THIS THREAD

END EDIT

Hmm interesting. Whats taking Iveson so long to declare his intentions?
    Last edited by Admin; 13-06-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Add link
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Hopefully he doesn't run (due to a vote split), gets another term of experience under his belt and then runs next time when Karen retires

I bet that Iveson will run and announce next week, or sometime shortly afterwards.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^So I've heard.

C2E Continued Contributor

Next Tuesday.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

Iveson confirms on twitter that he's making an announcement next week: https://twitter.com/doniveson

I'd rather C2E than work!

if he does run for Mayor , he gets my vote for sure.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

I'm concerned about the potential for vote splitting on the two reasonable candidates allowing the nutter to squeak in.

Quote Originally Posted by jstock View Post
    I'm concerned about the potential for vote splitting on the two reasonable candidates allowing the nutter to squeak in.
    Been saying this for a month at least. Its not going to help the anybody but Diotte position.
    Which is one of the reasons I expect Diotte will win.

I'll vote for Iveson.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

I hope people will go out and vote this election. It's going to be a tough race. If Iveson runs, I could see:

(1) Vote splitting in downtown and South Edmonton, but Kerry Diotte not getting much in the way of votes.
    (2) Don Iveson winning the majority of votes in his old ward, and possibly wards where LRT expansion is a priority.
    (3) Karen Leibovici winning the majority of votes in her former ward, and perhaps some jurisdictions with older demographics.
    (4) Kerry Diotte winning in his former ward and wards like Tony Caterina's.

My guess this election is that the platforms will be based on sound fiscal management while looking to cope with growth pressures.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    My guess this election is that the platforms will be based on sound fiscal management while looking to cope with growth pressures.
    That's a pretty good guess.

The only way I think Diotte will have a chance to win is if he puts out a plan on how he wants to see Edmonton grow. If his platform (assuming he ever comes out with one) includes halting things like LRT expansion and planning, he is dead meat, no matter how much money he promises to save.

This is where I see other candidates like Iveson and Leibovici having a huge advantage over Diotte.

Diotte already has stated that he is pro-LRT expansion.
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA View Post
    Diotte already has stated that he is pro-LRT expansion.
    Quite the turnaround during his SUN columnist days when he used to rail (no pun intended) against LRT expansion
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

An Iveson/Liebovici vote split worries me. Don't want Mayor Cec Diotte, err Kerry Purves.

Alas, have heard that Iveson will announce that he's running. He'll get my conditional vote - but in the end I'll go ABD.
    ... gobsmacked

Yeah SDM, Top_Dawg recalls those days.

Some of Diotte's columns were pretty hilarious.

However, to his credit it isn't quite so clear cut.

Top_Dawg remembers the context.

He wasn't anti LRT, period, full stop.

He was anti LRT, but instead he advocated for a network of express buses.

At least until usership was determined.

The argument is that a network of high speed buses with dedicated lanes is a transit model that delivers the same efficiency but with more flexibility, at lesser cost - and most importantly, with little risk.

Exactly the same debate takes place in 905 belt around Toronto.

So far E-chucks LRT is a no brainer.

It moves people to and from downtown, Grant MacEwan, Stadium, Coliseum, U of A.

Simple.

People will always use it for these destinations.

No Ph.D in Transportation Engineering required.

But when you talk about LRT moving commuters from suburbia around the city - well that's an entirely different animal.

There's risk.

A ****load of it.

Namely, are the ******* gonna use it ?

Or is it gonna ride empty sixteen hours a day.

Which is entirely likely.

So now you've just pyssed away hundreds of millions for ********.

A lot of cities have found this out the hard way.

Top_Dawg understands that no matter what, Diotte is exactly the kind of dweeb that all the self-anointed deep thinkers on C2E like to kick around.

He doesn't pretend to be uber shefishtikated, super enlightened, and smarter than everybody else.

Basically, he's not one of them.

But Diotte isn't nearly as out to lunch as he's made out to be.
    Last edited by Admin; 14-06-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Admin will put Top_Dawg in a kennel for the weekend if the swearing continues. Admin can put the head cone on Top_Dawg. ;)

First One is Always Free

The bigger question on Iveson is will he do what he is apparently being told to do or does he have the balls to make his own decision and run for mayor?

^Iveson is running for Mayor.

One of the things I admire about Iveson is independence of mind. He makes up his own mind about issues and votes accordingly. He is knowledgeable, articulate, and listens carefully and respectfully. His candidacy has the potential to energize and engage a new generation of young Edmontonians.

I have some disagreements with Iveson, most notably on LRT system design. But he recently gave me the courtesy of a hour meeting where we had a good discussion about issues raised on the Rapid Transit for Edmonton blog.

Found this Shaw TV profile on Mr. Iveson on his website. Funniest thing about the video was how his wife found him being a "renaissance man" (good at many disparate tasks) "annoying"

The website seems well laid out, and it shouldn't take much for him to update it for the mayoral race. I suspect his existing commentaries on the various issues won't change much when he announces his candidacy, so you should be able to get somewhat of an idea of his platform from the site.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Found this Shaw TV profile on Mr. Iveson on his website. Funniest thing about the video was how his wife found him being a "renaissance man" (good at many disparate tasks) "annoying"

The website seems well laid out, and it shouldn't take much for him to update it for the mayoral race. I suspect his existing commentaries on the various issues won't change much when he announces his candidacy, so you should be able to get somewhat of an idea of his platform from the site.
    That whole clip one of the hokiest puff pieces I've seen in some time. This guy has career politician written all over him. He'll do well.

First One is Always Free

I agree completely. Iveson for Mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    ^Iveson is running for Mayor.

One of the things I admire about Iveson is independence of mind. He makes up his own mind about issues and votes accordingly. He is knowledgeable, articulate, and listens carefully and respectfully. His candidacy has the potential to energize and engage a new generation of young Edmontonians.

I have some disagreements with Iveson, most notably on LRT system design. But he recently gave me the courtesy of a hour meeting where we had a good discussion about issues raised on the Rapid Transit for Edmonton blog.
    "No more crap - Architecture must improve!" - Mayor Mandel.
    I SUPPORT WWW.LIGHTTHEBRIDGE.CA

Don Iveson to announce plans in Edmonton mayor’s race Tuesday
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I think Iveson would be a good mayor.

^x2, would be nice to have a mayor who understands mature neighborhoods and who would not be beholden to property speculators.

Karen Leibovici is the most over looked councilor, don't over look her for mayor.

I have to say she would be FANTASTIC... you want to talk about balanced. hard working and a great person to continue on with existing plans.

I am heavily leaning towards this lady.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Partially Addicted to C2E

if you are looking for the next mayor to go beyond existing plans and support a vibrant identity of our city across the nation and internationally, Iveson is the choice. Leibovici would dull the progress we have made, she may be hard working and experienced but she has zero charisma. I think Don has the vision and personality to push a new identity for the city as Nenshi has for Calgary

^ She had enough charisma to get the most significant funding change to cities since the feds started giving us a share of the gas tax.

I like Don and he has some good Ideas and he is articulate... he is also Tall, good looking, young and has a deep voice. Some of the public's attraction to him is on a physical level.... He talks about the importance of his young family and not running again but then runs for mayor... I just don't get it. he was against the DT Arena funding.. only at the last min switch his vote. I was ok he was against.

Again I like Don.. but I just feel we are over looking an extremely strong candidate.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 17-06-2013 at 02:39 PM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by trmpt View Post
    The bigger question on Iveson is will he do what he is apparently being told to do or does he have the balls to make his own decision and run for mayor?
    So, enlighten us...what is he being told to do and by whom?

No one is telling him what to do, other than perhaps advice, which is given out all the time.

And, Iveson is running for mayor.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    ^ She had enough charisma to get the most significant funding change to cities since the feds started giving us a share of the gas tax.

I like Don and he has some good Ideas and he is articulate... he is also Tall, good looking, young and has a deep voice. Some of the public's attraction to him is on a physical level.... He talks about the importance of his young family and not running again but then runs for mayor... I just don't get it. he was against the DT Arena funding.. only at the last min switch his vote. I was ok he was against.

Again I like Don.. but I just feel we are over looking an extremely strong candidate.
    Did his "Look at me being fiscally cautious" bit for the plebs, then jumped ship when he saw which way the wind was blowing on council. Like I said above, career politician. He'll do very well.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^x2, would be nice to have a mayor who understands mature neighborhoods and who would not be beholden to property speculators.
    I don't know about that. He seemed to have a pretty cozy relationship with some "developers" when it came time to discuss changes to the MNO...

ETA.. I don't trust the guy. I think that his record on the arena was basically scripted to allow him to defer responsibility during the election. I've seen him at meetings gathering intel so that he could work towards placating his supporters... not the people directly affected by the issues at hand. He seems a little greasy to me, I do not trust him and I will not vote for him.
    Last edited by 240GLT; 17-06-2013 at 03:43 PM.
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    I don't know about that. He seemed to have a pretty cozy relationship with some "developers" when it came time to discuss changes to the MNO...
    My bad, mixing him up with Ben Henderson, lol. Will wait on his platform I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    My bad, mixing him up with Ben Henderson, lol. Will wait on his platform I guess.
    Really? I would have thought it was Bryan Anderson and his flip flopping on the development of surplus school sites issues.

Iveson should be making his announcement just about now......................
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

New website is up - http://www.doniveson.ca
    www.decl.org

Well this will be an interesting mayoral race now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    New website is up - http://www.doniveson.ca

Yup.

Confirmed.

Top_Dawg must now issue the official Dweeb Alert.

Thumbs up

Yes he is. He will make a great mayor

Too young. Not enough life experience.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I'm just happy that worst come to worst, I have at least one candidate to vote for. I'm in Ben Henderson country so I don't have to worry about my vote at that level.

On the other hand, I won't be displeased if someone with more experience (that lines up with my general worldview) decides to throw their hat in the ring.

Eve

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    you must be old enough to remember joe clark, right?

Age is not always the best marker of life experience. He'll make a great mayor.

After reading his analyses during the arena discussion, I am not sold whatsoever. I'm afraid his pragmatism demonstrated over the arena would be his approach to any issue. This simply leads to more non-decisions this City has been infamous for in the past. To me, he's better suited as a worthy backbencher but certainly not a leader.

That said, I don't have a favourite in terms of actual leadership so far. Bring on more candidates!

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    After reading his analyses during the arena discussion, I am not sold whatsoever. I'm afraid his pragmatism demonstrated over the arena would be his approach to any issue. This simply leads to more non-decisions this City has been infamous for in the past. To me, he's better suited as a worthy backbencher but certainly not a leader.

That said, I don't have a favourite in terms of actual leadership so far. Bring on more candidates!
    I agree with you but I think this city could use a few non decisions for awhile after making a ton of spending decisions. We need somebody at this point that can just delegate authority and oversee the many projects the city is currently leveraged in. Iveson just might be a guy that is suited to this task and not being patient with trumped up over runs. Strikes me that he's salty for his age and isn't going to put up with ****. In that regard he continues where Mandel left off.

Krushell, who fortunately isn't running, would absolutely scare me in this regard as she would rubber stamp anything without careful evaluation.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Diotte is older, with no life experience.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I agree generally that for the next little while the city could use a little less vision and more execution. There are many projects on the drawing board: LRT lines, Arena and district, Blatchford, a museum or two or three. Now we need someone who is willing to make sure that everything goes ahead but maintains timelines and resource budgets.

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by jdk13 View Post
    you must be old enough to remember joe clark, right?
    I'm pretty convinced this is supporting the assertion although I'm not positive you intended it to. Clark is a classic example of getting the throne prematurely and losing it just as quickly. Conservatives pretty much had to become the Liberals (Mulroney) after Clark to dissociate from the Clark reign.

He has my vote!
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Good point. Young dynamic breath of fresh air. Didn't know how to add.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Super Addict

With this guy and the other chick who's name escapes me right now running, Diotte's position just got quite a bit stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    Diotte is older, with no life experience.
    Diotte's age and Iveson's initiative would be a good combination.

Should thread be re-titled"Don Iverson enters the race for mayor" to match the Karen Leibovici thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Krushell, who fortunately isn't running, would absolutely scare me in this regard as she would rubber stamp anything without careful evaluation.
    Curious how much longer you're going to keep obsessing/grinding on the non-possibility of a Krushell mayoralty, now that she has announced she's not running?

If you nightmare scenario has no possibility of happening, why keep fixating on it?
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    Curious how much longer you're going to keep obsessing/grinding on the non-possibility of a Krushell mayoralty, now that she has announced she's not running?

If you nightmare scenario has no possibility of happening, why keep fixating on it?
    I'm not sure what word adequately describes the pleasure and sense of momentary relief gleaned from thinking the worst might happen and then realizing that it won't. It is enjoyable. Maybe not for you.

I take small pleasures where I can.

^ Someone who gets off on Generalized Anxiety Disorder lol...
    When life tosses you lemons make lemonade. What can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post

I'm not sure what word adequately describes the pleasure and sense of momentary relief gleaned from thinking the worst might happen and then realizing that it won't. It is enjoyable. Maybe not for you.

I take small pleasures where I can.

The word you could use is 'Halleluiah' as in "Halleluiah, she's not running".

^ Someone who gets off on Generalized Anxiety Disorder lol...
    When life tosses you lemons make lemonade. What can I say?
    lol!

I was impressed by what Don had to say in his speech today. I especially like his wanting to turn small local companies into giants. Right now it's a tough choice between him and Leibo for me.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I was impressed by what Don had to say in his speech today. I especially like his wanting to turn small local companies into giants. Right now it's a tough choice between him and Leibo for me.

He's got my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    I agree generally that for the next little while the city could use a little less vision and more execution. There are many projects on the drawing board: LRT lines, Arena and district, Blatchford, a museum or two or three. Now we need someone who is willing to make sure that everything goes ahead but maintains timelines and resource budgets.

Eve
    That's a great coment Eve. There are more than enough existing plans without wasting money on more consultants reports, or internal studies for a new vision. If half of that energy was directed to implementing existing plans sitting dusty on shelves, Edmonton would be transformed for the better. A good example is the municiple growth plan, money spent, recommendations formed, then its totally ignored by Coiuncil (ie annexation of land to airport, no restrictions on building permts in line with). If plans aren't being implemented, don't waste money on them.

Admin, can you change the thread title to something like "Don Iversion is running for Mayor". Thanks

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Done
    Ow

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Done
    Thanks!

This is the first truly wide-open race for Mayor, with no incumbent, since 1968 (Interim-Mayor Cavanagh unsuccessfully ran in '75 and '89 to keep the chair on a permanent basis, so I count him as an incumbent). Very interesting!
    Last edited by ScottieA; 19-06-2013 at 01:19 PM.
    Don't feed the trolls!

There was a good interview of him on CTV today. He's driven, experienced and very articulate.
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1

^That he is and very balanced. I just hope we see him be more outspoken a little and definitive.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

In which way?

Since his announcement I've heard/read Iveson use the phrase "edmonton works" at least a couple few times. I wonder if he's been consulting with KCantor about messaging. It's definitely catchy.

There will be a fair amount of the blue hair and polyester pant crowd that think Don Iveson is a very nice young man. It will be this same crowd that will vote for Diotte. Even though they like Iveson their collective rage in regards to the arena will channel their votes to Diotte. It will be their 'We'll show you Mandel' moment (even if Mandel is not running). Seniors, getting their own back one vote at a time.

C2E Super Addict

There will be a fair amount of the blue hair and polyester pant crowd that think Don Iveson is a very nice young man. It will be this same crowd that will vote for Diotte. Even though they like Iveson their collective rage in regards to the arena will channel their votes to Diotte. It will be their 'We'll show you Mandel' moment (even if Mandel is not running). Seniors, getting their own back one vote at a time.
    Mandel saw this coming and had the street smarts to jump knowing his real work was done. Iveson will use this as a stepping stone into , at the very least, provincial politics. He's got good hair.

Diotte is good for laughs, but let's be honest, he's just there to split the vote.

^He\s not 'knowingly' there to split the vote. He's in it to win it. The raging grannies and chuntering grand dads will be reminiscing on the closure of City Centre Airport and the Arena Deal and they will vote on what they perceive to be the opposite of Mandel, and that's Diotte. Don't mess with their strategy, their on a mission.

C2E Super Addict

^He\s not 'knowingly' there to split the vote. He's in it to win it. The raging grannies and chuntering grand dads will be reminiscing on the closure of City Centre Airport and the Arena Deal and they will vote on what they perceive to be the opposite of Mandel, and that's Diotte. Don't mess with their strategy, their on a mission.
    I'd laugh my ***** off if he did get in (mainly just to hear the whining on here), but in reality it's not likely. That said, even if he did, there wouldn't be a huge change of direction in practical terms, despite all the rhetoric.

Speaking of vote-splitting, there is a pretty good chance that Iveson and Diotte may split the votes between male voters, while more women vote for Leibovici, giving her the victory.

^ MR Oilers really... this isn't the 1950's men vote for women now a days...

Of course men vote for women. I'm not stupid.

But what's stupid is pretending that there isn't any bias at all when it comes to sex.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Of course men vote for women. I'm not stupid.

But what's stupid is pretending that there isn't any bias at all when it comes to sex.
    Based on the articles I've read there are differences in the way men and women vote but they have very little to do with the sex of the candidate and more to do with differences in priorities.

I haven't had a chance to look into too closely so if you know if any solid research on gender-based voting patterns I'd be very interested.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Speaking of vote-splitting, there is a pretty good chance that Iveson and Diotte may split the votes between male voters, while more women vote for Leibovici, giving her the victory.
    Women who vote for women just because they are women should not be allowed to vote. Same as guys voting for guys just because he's a guy.
    If they are that shallow that only the sex of the candidate is what matters to them then their voting power should be revoked.

Women who vote for women just because they are women should not be allowed to vote. Same as guys voting for guys just because he's a guy.
    If they are that shallow that only the sex of the candidate is what matters to them then their voting power should be revoked.

Don't follow you Gems.

A candidate's sex does indeed influence Top_Dawg's vote.

But their gender certainly doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    If they are that shallow that only the gender of the candidate is what matters to them then their voting power should be revoked.

Don't follow you Gems.

Re-worded it. Now do you capiche.

C2E Super Addict

Are you kidding?.. The chicks dig Iveson!.. With his boyish, doe-eyed, dreamy good looks and the smooth dulcet tone of his voice, he's a natural vote winner for the ladies, oh and EDP obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Don't follow you Gems.

Why?

Why would someone's biology influence your vote more than someone's lifestyle? And also why would either matter at all to your conscious voting decision?

I say conscious because it's already well demonstrated that there are a number of physical factors (height, pitch of voice, etc) that effect the way we vote even when we're not conscious of them.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Well, if looks are that big of a factor in politics how come Sarah Palin is not sitting in the White House. Good looking, smart dresser and a few beans short of a burrito.
    If you vote for looks and not the platform you may get a whole lot of grief.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Are you kidding?.. The chicks dig Iveson!.. With his boyish, doe-eyed, dreamy good looks and the smooth dulcet tone of his voice, he's a natural vote winner for the ladies, oh and EDP obviously.
    Not my type at all...

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Not my type at all...
    Diotte?

^ Too Cheap

C2E SME

I think very few will vote based on gender. They will, however, look at competence.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.