Thread: Ward 2 Poor transit and non existent LRT

Default Ward 2 Poor transit and non existent LRT

Speaking from family experience (Daughter attending U of A and complaints from her peers in the neighborhood} and others.

Transit in our area of Ward 2 sucks.

Regularly over an hour to the U of A, it was faster to drive her downtown to Grandin to catch the LRT than let her take the flamin bus. Same complaint from her peers.

Try to bus anywhere but Kingsway, Downtown and Westmount...same kinda deal, unacceptable.

How unacceptable...she gave up and started driving, U Pass and all.

Others trying to use it for work are having the same problems.

Now if the area had seen some improvements over the number of years I could buy (and so could most), "be patient", but service hasn't improved to any visible or measurable extent from what I or my daughter and others can see...it's just more crowded.

LRT is a long way away...correct me if I am wrong but last I heard there was still no deal made to cross the Calder yards never mind anything else past NAIT.

So LRT is years away, Transit is a problem, the Ward and North of it is expanding and redeveloping or developing.

Whats the plan? What improvements can be expected in the near term?

Combine this issue with the Commuter Roadway problems and I bet it's likely one of the hottest topics in the Ward.

In my highly biased personal opinion
    Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 14-06-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: moved bracket added Kingsway to be accurate

Not wanting to pit one ward against another (I am not in Ward 2) but I and other people in our area always feel Castledowns has far superior bus routes at the expense of our ward 3. Just about every second bus that pulls out of Northgate Transit station has Castledowns written on it. Most of those buses are direct routes downtown and not transfer hubs. Add to the new transit station In Eaux Claire and I should imagine Castledowns should be pretty much covered (in peak hours) to say the least.
    U of A students can take an express bus from CD to downtown then hop on the LRT to the university.
    Of course kids are going to say that transit sucks (even if it doesn't). They want wheels and they'll tell you they are allergic to transit if they thought it would work.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Not wanting to pit one ward against another (I am not in Ward 2) but I and other people in our area always feel Castledowns has far superior bus routes at the expense of our ward 3. Just about every second bus that pulls out of Northgate Transit station has Castledowns written on it. Most of those buses are direct routes downtown and not transfer hubs. Add to the new transit station In Eaux Claire and I should imagine Castledowns should be pretty much covered (in peak hours) to say the least.
    U of A students can take an express bus from CD to downtown then hop on the LRT to the university.
    Gemini

I don't see it as pitting one Ward against another...but.

There is a lot more to Ward 2 than Castledowns (I'm sure you would say there is more to your Ward than 1 section) and there are more areas than DT that needed serviced, particularly when you are working the trades.

I don't live in Castledown so CD to UofA isn't relevant I'm afraid, and it isn't relevant for a huge part of the Ward.

That makes better service to the rest of the Ward and even bigger issue if the part of Castledowns that is in Ward 2 is that much better served.

Of course kids are going to say that transit sucks (even if it doesn't). They want wheels and they'll tell you they are allergic to transit if they thought it would work.
    You obviously don't know my daughter....gives the word cheap a whole new definition, and she pays for her own car purchases, maintenance et all. LOL

More to the point...both her and I as well as her friends have timed it.

If you want people to ride transit it has to provide reasonable time frames and value for the dollar. Right now most I know do not believe it does and are voting with their car keys.

It's a problem that needs addressed

Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 14-06-2013 at 05:00 PM.

^Fair comment about Castledowns just being a part of Ward 2. I tend to go through CD to get from A to B so I am more versed in that area.
    About the transit in the area. The CCA takes up a huge chunk of land that obviously could not be accessed by traffic. Many street and avenue stopped at the boundaries of the airport, it was not on the 'grid' so to speak. This would make it hard for bus service as buses would no doubt have to take a longer and maybe disjointed route to get to destinations. Once the airport lands are open to traffic maybe better and more direct routes can be open to buses.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

If Thomas lives in Oxford or Skyview, his daughter has to make a transfer from another bus to the 128 route, can mean a trip to University takes around an hour on a good day, never mind in the middle of winter. For comparison it takes me just over fifty minutes to walk from my Condo in Oliver to Grandin Station, hope the LRT to Century Park, and then home the 24 to Windemere, which is even farther out.

Northgate, West Edmonton Mall, and Millwoods all have express buses that go downtown at peak hours. In fact the 16 and 161 buses that departs express from Northgate to downtown go to to Castledowns Transit centre, but in an non-express manner. Given the relatively recent growth of the northwest section of Ward 2, I think a separate peak hour bus from Castledowns transit centre direct to downtown may be in order. In addition to the 128, the area could also use a near-express bus from Castledowns TC to University, with stops at the corner of 127th street and 137th avenue, and Westmount mall. Until we get the LRT lines in place, I could see peak hour near express routes being useful in several sectors of the city where transit times are prohibitive; Lago Lindo, Capilano, and I'm sure other places could use express service.

Gemini
    Once the airport lands are open to traffic maybe better and more direct routes can be open to buses.
    If you check the drawings on the City of Edmonton website for the Blathcford Field project I believe you will find the opposite, may even make matters worse.

Maybe the plans will change, in the meantime we still need solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    If Thomas lives in Oxford or Skyview, his daughter has to make a transfer from another bus to the 128 route, can mean a trip to University takes around an hour on a good day, never mind in the middle of winter. For comparison it takes me just over fifty minutes to walk from my Condo in Oliver to Grandin Station, hope the LRT to Century Park, and then home the 24 to Windemere, which is even farther out.

Northgate, West Edmonton Mall, and Millwoods all have express buses that go downtown at peak hours. In fact the 16 and 161 buses that departs express from Northgate to downtown go to to Castledowns Transit centre, but in an non-express manner. Given the relatively recent growth of the northwest section of Ward 2, I think a separate peak hour bus from Castledowns transit centre direct to downtown may be in order. In addition to the 128, the area could also use a near-express bus from Castledowns TC to University, with stops at the corner of 127th street and 137th avenue, and Westmount mall. Until we get the LRT lines in place, I could see peak hour near express routes being useful in several sectors of the city where transit times are prohibitive; Lago Lindo, Capilano, and I'm sure other places could use express service.
    Could be a help, thanks

Wonder what the candidates can come up with?

Tom