Thread: Your most epic cycling ride

Default Your most epic cycling ride

Just as the title says what was your most epic ride?

Mine happens to be my annual ride from WEM all the way down to EIA using nothing but the back roads. I start by taking 178st all the way till it changes to lessard road, then turn into the wedgewood area down the closed road that is now a walking path, spit out into Cameron heights then down the AHD getting off at the windermere turn off, then down 170st SW all the way till i hit the range roads then hit hwy 19. total round trip is about 60 km, time taken about an hour and half both ways, sometimes more if there is a stop involved.

Your most epic ride

Driving 20 miles on the highway to the coast with an elderly dithering relative. We cowered and silently screamed in the back seat all the way. It was epic for all the wrong reasons. Sometimes at night I wake up in a big sweat reliving the journey.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

You realize this is the cycling section correct?

.....................now I do. Sorry bout that.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

^Its cool. do you have an actual cycling one?

^Yeah I do but they are more disastrous than epic.

Im still feeling the effects of my ride today. Im burned and sore had a few times where i didn't know if i was going to make it lol.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

My most epic rides were the two flights that I had with The Snowbirds.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

And that has what do do with CYCLING?

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

There darkmangoblade. I made the title clear.
    Ow

Its in the cycling subforum how else can it be any more clear!

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by darkmagnoblade View Post

Are motorcycle stories allowed, or does it have to be the kid's bike variety?

Tandem bicycle journey through the wine Sonoma wine country in California. When you got thirsty, just stop for a wine tasting...

NMP
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post

Are motorcycle stories allowed, or does it have to be the kid's bike variety?
    Taken from the description of this very subfourm.
    "Discuss all manners of cycling issues, cycle technology, etc. A place to hang out and talk about your 2 wheel, pedal powered pride and joy!"

I'd have two different rides to share. One is actually an 11 day ride from Halifax to Dartmouth on a tandem with my wife. That was about a 750 km ride.

The other was a ride from my place to my old home in Lacombe on my ride bike by myself. 135 km in one afternoon, just less than 5 hours to do it. Was a good solo ride along 2A, which is not bad on the shoulder.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Epic races have been the Seven Summit Stud at Rossland BC.. 40K's of absolutely grueling singletrack over seven summits with all the local gearheads from the area... and as a sick joke a sushi station right in the middle. Apalling. The 24 hours of adrenaline in Canmore is a pretty awesome time.. nothing like riding rocky and rooty sungletrack in the pitch black with only a helmet light

My favorite road ride of all time is from Balfour to Nelson on hwy 3A. Round trip of about 60k gently rolling along the lake with a nice shoulder and slow traffic... we call it the breakfast bike ride (or BBR) as we will ride 30k to Nelson, have a nice bacon breaky then ride back to the campsite just in time for beer o'clock. I love that.
    Parkdale

And that has what do do with CYCLING?
    Sorry - didin't notice the word cycling
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

C2E SME

Haven't really had anything too "epic" in the past, but for some reason I signed up for this year's 24 Hours of Adrenaline, so that'll be interesting.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ It's fun until 4am, when you're tired and cold. Then it starts to get painful

My advise to you & your team.. try to double up some laps, especially in the late evening and early morning. it'll give you a better chance of getting at least some sleep.
    Parkdale

For me it was racing in the first Trans Rockies race or cycling around Australia and New Zealand.

I've had numerous Looong rides both mountain and road already but still plan to do a couple of more.

As for the 24hours I usually got the night rides and usually in the rain.

I had planned on doing some Tandem rides this year but just after we took delivery of our new custom bike my SO broke her leg. So now I am doing solo rides in the country getting ready for the Banff Fondo.

2-wheeled pedal powered?

What about those with trikes? This is discrimination!

My most epic, Terwillegar Park to Fort Saskatchewan Science Park and back.

highlander

I did Jasper to Banff this weekend. Weather was perfect.

We were supported, so no bags, but I was still amazed how fast it went. We did 83 km in 3 hours cycling time on the last day.

I don't know of it can be epic, though, without overcoming adversity. Do 500m climbs count?

I would consider the fact you did 83 km in 3 hours epic in it self.

highlander

Oh, and I did the "Greater Niagara Circle Tour" this summer, about 150k in about 6 hours. It was epic because:
    it was about 30km longer than I expected,
    I ran out of water after 90km (started with 4l), and phone battery after 120km,
    Plus a missed rendevous ( by about 500m) when the phone died, so hopes for company on the last leg were dashed, just as the headwinds were picking up.

Also this summer:
    Accidentally climbed the highest peak on the eastern seaboard of the US, and stampeded a herd of buffalo in elk island.

It turns out that they are more afraid of cyclists than of cars. Who knew.

Well either doing the 24Hrs of adrenaline in Canmore...

Or Jumping Pound loop - ended up being 38kms and 6hrs on the trail with a ton of elevation but some incredible views.

First break of the tree's about 3km in and 500m up.

Looking back at the ridge we had just ridden.

Are you heading down for 24 HOA this weekend? Will be my 2nd. I'm on 5 person co-ed team this year... Hoping to get 4 laps in.

I'm frequently at west bragg or moose mountain too. Have done climbs in around 1200 m over 30 km or so.

Also done some pretty epic river valley rides from one end to the other and back on mostly single track.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Are you heading down for 24 HOA this weekend? Will be my 2nd. I'm on 5 person co-ed team this year... Hoping to get 4 laps in.
    yes indeed we have a 5 man over 150 team this year, will by my second as well. We all did 3 laps last year and finished 6/12 for our category (under 150).

I died last year. Only rode about 400km prior to the race, was doing to much weight training and not enough cardio.

sportograf-66900298-2 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

When I sold the old ride.

I miss my dropper posts... Never should have let it go with the old bike.

I'm at about 1800km w/ 17,900m elevation this year so far... If my garmin/strava is correct.

Just checked my stats on Jumping pound
    36.9km with 1,247m of elevation

Yeah turns out after my fiancee got injured my biking fell off a lot this spring. I am not even half that.

I know a bunch of my teammates are though, one guy wants to beat 1:10 a lap.

Last years course was also brutal, they took out a few of the climbs eh?

no more long road to ruin! I'm okay with that. About 2 km shorter too.

Hope the forecast changes. 20-40 mm of rain on Friday/Saturday could be a soggy mess.

no more long road to ruin! I'm okay with that. About 2 km shorter too.

Hope the forecast changes. 20-40 mm of rain on Friday/Saturday could be a soggy mess.
    So happy about that, my last lap at 4am I walked the reign up that damn thing.

Going to be a wet year looks like. Good thing I am putting on new tires tonight.

(╯. )╯︵ ┻━┻

rain going to clear up. Im bringing sunshine!

C2E SME

I'm at about 1800km w/ 17,900m elevation this year so far... If my garmin/strava is correct.
    I'll be at 24 HOA as well. We're a corporate team and were supposed to have 7-ish riders, but one guy dropped out and another injured himself. This is my 4th year, and I've only done 2 laps in years past. Will likely end up doing 3-4 this year. I am not in good shape, and it's going to be painful. Strava indicates I've ridden 102 km with 1,400m of gain. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I'll be at 24 HOA as well. We're a corporate team and were supposed to have 7-ish riders, but one guy dropped out and another injured himself. This is my 4th year, and I've only done 2 laps in years past. Will likely end up doing 3-4 this year. I am not in good shape, and it's going to be painful. Strava indicates I've ridden 102 km with 1,400m of gain. Yikes.
    Going to be a push! I think I am going to aim for 4 laps this year as well. 3 last year on my Reign sucked. So why not do 4 right?

And another 24 hours in the books. What a mud fest.

Nice! The photographers work this year wasn't nearly as good I found, probably due to all the rain.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Great photos and well done!

For me it would be one of:

Valley of the 5 lakes, but starting from where the Yellowhead crosses the AthaB. Fun ridge line, cabin in the woods, then tricky 5 lakes solo all of the way to Horseshoe for some cliff diving.

Mt. Robson up to Berg Lake through the valley of a thousand falls. (some hiking required).

or

Belfast to Buncrana in Northern Ireland and Ireland up to Lough Swilly. The rolling emerald hills were amazing.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton