Thread: Landmark returns to Edmonton with purchase of Empire theatres

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Landmark returns to Edmonton with purchase of Empire theatres

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...718/story.html

In Edmonton, it acquires the Empire City Centre 9 and Empire Clareview 10 Cinemas.
    Its newly acquired Empire theatres will be rebranded over the next year to Landmark, Campbell said. It’s too soon to say what other changes and technological upgrades — such as high-frame-rate equipment to show the latest blockbuster movies — will need to go into the theatres, he said. The company built three theatres last year and plans to develop another three at undisclosed locations soon.

Campbell said privately held Landmark did not want to buy the entire Empire theatre chain, but picked the assets which made sense.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Great.. now they can build their flagship theater DT in the new Arnea area and move their head office here lol
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Continued Contributor

Wasn't Empire building a new cinema complex in north Edmonton? I recall it includes another IMAX 3D cinema, among others. I wonder what will happen to it.
    Almost always open to debate...

I like Empire a lot. They invested into City Centre when Cineplex wanted to dump it.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^ I was wondering the same thing, the 10 screen cinema is currently under construction in Manning Towne Centre (right next to Lowe's).

Is it? I've seen the sign up for a long time, but I can't tell if construction on the theatre has actually started.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    I like Empire a lot. They invested into City Centre when Cineplex wanted to dump it.
    When Cineplex Odeon acquired Famous Players Theatres a few years ago, federal government approval of the transaction was conditional upon Cineplex divesting itself of some of its theatres in areas where it would have a virtual monoply if the tranaction took place. In Edmonton, that lead to Empire Theatres taking over three theatres from Cineplex/Famous Players: City Centre, Clareview and Gateway cinemas. It had nothing to do with Cineplex wanted to "dump" anything.

The theatre is under construction right now - mainly just the frame but you can seating the framing for the seating which is neat. Sign still says Empire Theatres.

Quote Originally Posted by OLM View Post
    When Cineplex Odeon acquired Famous Players Theatres a few years ago, federal government approval of the transaction was conditional upon Cineplex divesting itself of some of its theatres in areas where it would have a virtual monoply if the tranaction took place. In Edmonton, that lead to Empire Theatres taking over three theatres from Cineplex/Famous Players: City Centre, Clareview and Gateway cinemas. It had nothing to do with Cineplex wanted to "dump" anything.
    What I meant is Cineplex wanted to close it altogether. That was prior to any attempt to sell it to Empire.
    www.decl.org

Partially Addicted to C2E

I hope the ambiance doesn't change at City Centre. I quite enjoy that theatre. In fact it's the only theatre I go to.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by OLM View Post
    What I meant is Cineplex wanted to close it altogether. That was prior to any attempt to sell it to Empire.
    Ah, my apologies then -- I didn't know (and didn't think about) that angle: thanks for the clarification!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

As a head's up, I just noticed that Landmark is shutting down their Clareview movie theatre. Tonight's the last night that movies will be screened: http://www.landmarkcinemas.com/edmonton-clareview

Very sad to lose yet another theatre, even if I've only been to that location a handful of times.

Out with the old, in with the new.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    As a head's up, I just noticed that Landmark is shutting down their Clareview movie theatre. Tonight's the last night that movies will be screened: http://www.landmarkcinemas.com/edmonton-clareview

Very sad to lose yet another theatre, even if I've only been to that location a handful of times.

Suprising, was a decent enough theatre, great stadium style seating.

I'm guessing the land will be repurposed to a condo building, I would assume it would be much more valuable with that on the footprint. XS Cargo next door closed last year, has anything filled that space?

I heard another, very similar type of business, was taking over the XS Cargo space.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    I heard another, very similar type of business, was taking over the XS Cargo space.
    Is it Factory Direct? They took over the old XSCargo in Windsor. They don't have a location west of Winnipeg, but they'd fill the niche left by XSCargo here.

It could be a Bianca Amor's Liquidation Supercentre, but the foot print of the store doesn't seem big enough for one of their stores, unless they take over the party store space next door.

That could be. Not sure.

The Journal finally got around to reporting on the closure of the Clareview Landmark theatre... about two weeks after the fact: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...697/story.html

I'll miss the theatre, to be honest. They were the only venue in town for some smaller-scale movies, like Whiplash (aside from a couple nights at Metro).

C2E Long Term Contributor

^Princess my friend. (Although not Whiplash)
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

The Princess does not mix it up nearly enough, in my opinion. Magic Lantern ran the Garneau in much the same way. (As an example, they played Slumdog Millionaire for what seemed like three months straight, despite the fact that it was available for viewing in other local cinemas.)

Job No 169443404-001
    Description: To change the Use from Spectator Entertainment Establishments to Indoor Participant Recreation Services with 3,172sqm of Public Space.
    Plan 9422939 Blk 26 Lot 8
    Applicant: BRIAN ALLSOPP ARCHITECT LTD.
    Create Date: 3/13/2015 10:51:20 AM

Landmark has installed Coca-Cola Freestyle machines at its locations, similar to what you find at Nando's. You can refill your cup at any time, so keep your cup when you leave the theatre to top it up on the way out, should you wish to.

Landmark City Centre Mall has upgraded its seats to plush wide ones with a reclining top section, similar to those found at Cineplex North Edmonton, South Edmonton, and Windermere. Very comfortable. The screens are still a bit smaller, but still very watchable, and the sound was excellent.

I went with some friends to the newly built Landmark St. Albert, and there Landmark has stepped it up even further. The screens there are on par or a little bigger then Cineplex's non-IMAX screens. And how do you compete with a person's own living room? Bring in plush leather powered recliners with footrests Very nice!

From LandmarkCinemas.com
    Quote Originally Posted by "Landmarkcinemas.com
    I think Cineplex has done a great job, but its good to see Landmark stepping up to provide some good competition.

Great to hear they're continuing to invest in that cinema, I love it.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

We went to see Solo while we were in San Francisco and the theatre there had assigned seating with powered recliners and no difference in ticket price. I would take this over the VIP theatre and it's inflated ticket prices any day. Here's hoping Landmark brings those seats downtown.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Love those Coca Cola Freestyle machines, no where else to get the flavors on tap. Looks like I'll be going to Landmark more often.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    We went to see Solo while we were in San Francisco and the theatre there had assigned seating with powered recliners and no difference in ticket price. I would take this over the VIP theatre and it's inflated ticket prices any day. Here's hoping Landmark brings those seats downtown.
    Last night in S.Common theatres were dead.....even on cheap Tuesday. Here's some quick math maybe why they were dead last night...or any other night besides Tues. Family of 4 - $12.75/ticket = $51. $60 for popcorn/candy/snacks....yup - $30 for 2 ppl X 2. Plus $1 X 2 for those salt packs that used to be free. So we're up to over $110 for a family of 4 to see 1 movie! Cineplex' stock price is cheap....and their "quick fix" is to raise the **** outta prices?!!!! Didn't anyone teach these guys Economics 101? I find that theatre costs in the States are going up exponentially as well.....never mind the exchange rate.....it used to be dirt cheap.....

Landmark City Centre and St. Albert both have assigned seating; I suspect this must be chain-wide.

I agree it would be cool if they brought the powered recliners downtown, but the size of the units might cut into the seat count too much; the individual screening areas are smaller at City Centre then St. Albert.

For a 2D movie, a non-matinee adult ticket is $12.99 at City Centre, and $13.50 in St. Albert, so Landmark is charging a minimum premium at the new theatres.

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post

Last night in S.Common theatres were dead.....even on cheap Tuesday. Here's some quick math maybe why they were dead last night...or any other night besides Tues. Family of 4 - $12.75/ticket = $51. $60 for popcorn/candy/snacks....yup - $30 for 2 ppl X 2. Plus $1 X 2 for those salt packs that used to be free. So we're up to over $110 for a family of 4 to see 1 movie! Cineplex' stock price is cheap....and their "quick fix" is to raise the **** outta prices?!!!! Didn't anyone teach these guys Economics 101? I find that theatre costs in the States are going up exponentially as well.....never mind the exchange rate.....it used to be dirt cheap.....
    I don't have a car anymore, so I don't have access to this, but if you have AMA, getting tickets or packs there can help:

From the AMA site
    Quote Originally Posted by AMA website
    Cineplex Pricing and Package Options

Admit One: $9.75 (one adult admission)
    Child Adventure: $12.35 (one child’s admission, 13 years and under, and one kid’s tray combo, which includes popcorn, drink, and a treat)
    Senior Admit One: $7.75 (65 years and older)

Landmark Cinemas Pricing and Package Options

General Admission: $9.75 (one adult admission)
    Adult Movie Night Out: $30.95 (two general admissions, two regular popcorn, two regular drinks)
    Kid’s Movie Adventure: $12.35 (one child’s admission, 13 years and under, and one kid’s tray combo, which includes popcorn, drink, and a treat)

The above covers 2d movies, so you still need to pay a bit more for 3D/Atmos/D-box/IMAX.i

Landmark also has a summer movie pack deal on.
    From landmarkcinemas.com
    Quote Originally Posted by landmarkcineas.com
    The Summer Movie 10-Pack makes movie-going more rewarding, instantly! Loaded with 10 General Admission tickets, 10% off TEN purchases at concession plus $34 in extra summer movie savings, our Summer Movie 10-Pack delivers BIG summer movie savings without the hassle of collecting a single point. Easy to share and redeemable online and your card never expires!
    Again, the tickets included are for a 2d showing, so 3d showings will have an additional surcharge.

The price varies by theatre, but its good at any Landmark theatre, so if you're at one of the cities below with a cheaper price you could get it there and use it at St. Albert to get the best bang for your buck.

From RedFlagdeals.com
    Quote Originally Posted by RedFlagDeals.com
    AB
    • Airdrie - N/A
    • Brooks - $79.99
    • Calgary Country Hills - $109.00
    • Calgary Shawnessy - $109.00
    • Drayton Valley - $84.99
    • Edmonton City Centre - $99.99
    • Edson - $79.99
    • Fort McMurray - $99.99
    • Spruce Grove - $94.99
    • Sylvan Lake - $84.99
    • St. Albert - $109.00

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Landmark City Centre and St. Albert both have assigned seating; I suspect this must be chain-wide.

I agree it would be cool if they brought the powered recliners downtown, but the size of the units might cut into the seat count too much; the individual screening areas are smaller at City Centre then St. Albert.

For a 2D movie, a non-matinee adult ticket is $12.99 at City Centre, and $13.50 in St. Albert, so Landmark is charging a minimum premium at the new theatres.
    Cutting down the seat count in a theatre that is generally only partially full wouldn't seem to be an issue. Anytime I've been there, and that included opening weekend for the The Force Awakens, it was not even close to full.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Cutting down the seat count in a theatre that is generally only partially full wouldn't seem to be an issue. Anytime I've been there, and that included opening weekend for the The Force Awakens, it was not even close to full.
    Point taken. City Centre might well get the powered recliners down the line. I believe the current seats with un-powered reclining chair tops were put in fairly recently; Landmark may want to get some more use of them before adding powered seating, and is likely prioritizing new-build theatres with the power seating. City Centre may get the powered recliners in time for opening of the new ICE District theatre, if that one is a Cineplex.

Ice District is supposed to be getting a Cineplex VIP Theatre however given the price premium on them I prefer non-VIP ones with assigned seating. Not enough value add on a VIP to warrant the price especially considering extra features are the opportunity to spend more on food and drink. Currently we go to Cineplex North as it's easy for us to get to, has assigned seats, and great sound.