Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,400 of 3495

Thread: Walterdale Bridge Replacement | U/C

  1. #3301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    You people do realize that much of the traffic backup is the left lane closure at River Valley Road, right? The left turning lane temporarily gone due to the ongoing construction there. Many people use it to get to the government area, but the only turning lane is the leftmost of the 2 lanes.
    That would impact traffic flow a bit.

    My wife was in the University area on Sunday and decided to use the Walterdale to cross the river at about 4 PM. It took about 20 minutes to get from 87th Ave and 111 St to the bridge. Not sure if the play at the Jube let out that early.

  2. #3302

    Default

    ^ It might have also had to do with the fatality at groat road and river valley road on sunday?

  3. #3303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    ^ It might have also had to do with the fatality at groat road and river valley road on sunday?
    Didn't hear about that. Had a look online and it seems the crash occurred at the south end of the Groat Road Bridge in the north bound lanes. No reason for the police to shutdown north bound traffic onto Groat Road and it would be weird if people take the Walterdale and then River Valley Road to get to the southbound Groat Road bridge.

  4. #3304

    Default

    Lanes weren't closed, but any time I've seen an accident on one side of the road, gawkers on the other side slow to a crawl so they can look into the car wreck. Oh look, flashy lights on the other side of the road. Better slam on the brakes so Ma can get a good look see.

  5. #3305
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    You people do realize that much of the traffic backup is the left lane closure at River Valley Road, right? The left turning lane temporarily gone due to the ongoing construction there. Many people use it to get to the government area, but the only turning lane is the leftmost of the 2 lanes.
    Yeah, 105/RVR is a mess right now from the work on paths etc in the area. RVR Eastbound is to be avoided during rush hour, it's been backing up halfway to Groat as it's now down to a single lane at the intersection with 105th.

  6. #3306
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Strathcona - Mill Creek
    Posts
    5,031

    Default

    One of the biggest problems I've seen is that the roads merge in "no man's land" - a space after both the lights. When traffic is backed up this results in cars being after the light, but not yet merged. Then it's a guessing game as to who has the right-of-way when the green-light cars start pulling ahead and the red-light cars haven't merged yet. It's really bizarre.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

  7. #3307

    Default

    Yeah, noticed that on the video drive through above as well as a CGI of the route. Without having been there I don't know is a yield to one input or not. It is bizarre and would practically lead to a constantly stopped lane in load traffic conditions while people figure out who should be advancing. Wthout a clear yield or ROW could also easily lead to accidents as people figure the lane is theirs. Having just passed a traffic light a driver could easily think they have the ROW. When both drivers think that is an easy recipe for collisions.

    Anybody got any info on how this merge is supposed to work efficiently? Are drivers not doing it right? I would honestly approach that with trepidation.
    Last edited by Replacement; 27-09-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  8. #3308

    Default

    It just needs adaptive signals capable of keeping both lights red until the back-up clears out. Not that the city is likely to get that one right though.
    There can only be one.

  9. #3309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    It just needs adaptive signals capable of keeping both lights red until the back-up clears out. Not that the city is likely to get that one right though.
    Shouldn't the lights and stop line simply be at the point of the merge? Isn't there a way to have this designed so that that is possible?

    Seems to be that the no mans zone should be considered similar to any intersection in which it is a violation to not clear the intersection or to move into it when you cannot clear.

    I'll check it out sometime and get a first hand look.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  10. #3310
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Strathcona - Mill Creek
    Posts
    5,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I'll check it out sometime and get a first hand look.
    Yeah, definitely check it out. It's a big clusterf*ck.

    And yes, there should be an area that's completely clear, like a regular intersection, but that's not being put into practice. It's also a large distance from the stop line until the complete merge. Also, you have the left lane (coming down QE Park Rd) that has to cross two lanes of traffic from Walterdale Hill Rd in order to be in the proper lane.

    I'd be really interested in reading your comments after you take that route.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

  11. #3311

    Default

    I haven't driven over the new bridge yet, but I image the intersection prior would work like scona road and connors road merge northbound.
    Issue I'm reading is the set of light at RVR and 105th street which makes traffic back the entire length of the bridge and into the kinsmen intersection.

  12. #3312

    Default

    Maybe things will get better once the tie-ins are complete at RVR and the third lane is opened?

  13. #3313

    Default

    I wasn't paying attention driving today because I drove downtown at 6 in the morning but it looked like the third lane in the bridge was opened. Not sure whether the third lane was open down sask road?

  14. #3314
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,374

    Default

    https://twitter.com/RobWilliamsCTV/s...84521450971136

    Rob Williams‏ @RobWilliamsCTV

    All 3 lanes of the new Walterdale Bridge are open this morning, along with the west side ped walkway. #yeg
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  15. #3315
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Strathcona - Mill Creek
    Posts
    5,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cumberland View Post
    Maybe things will get better once the tie-ins are complete at RVR and the third lane is opened?
    It'll help a bit, since it'll allow 1/3 more cars to be on the bridge at any given time.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

  16. #3316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cumberland View Post
    Maybe things will get better once the tie-ins are complete at RVR and the third lane is opened?
    It'll help a bit, since it'll allow 1/3 more cars to be on the bridge at any given time.
    No, it'll allow 1/2 more cars on the bridge. Closing the lane would reduce the capacity by 1/3, but opening it increases it by 1/2.

    2+50%=3. 3-33%=2.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  17. #3317

    Default

    My review: Driving across New Walterdale is light years better than Old Walterdale. I have no opinion on any of the other issues as I crossed it later on Tuesday evening and traffic was light.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  18. #3318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    My review: Driving across New Walterdale is light years better than Old Walterdale. I have no opinion on any of the other issues as I crossed it later on Tuesday evening and traffic was light.
    Driving across? What was really different in that sense? I imagine one bridge, in the same location, crossed the river in much the same way as the older one did.

    I say things like this because this bridge was way more expensive than it needed to be. Ironically located, and named after the common sense, not fancy, John Walterdale Ferry which was simply a pragmatic way to cross the river. Which is all any bridge does imo and the only purpose of it.

    We've moved somehow into an age where everything needs to be pretty, World Class, etc. In other words form over function. In a city wanting for more river crossing lanes.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  19. #3319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Driving across? What was really different in that sense? I imagine one bridge, in the same location, crossed the river in much the same way as the older one did.
    Except one had the singing grated metal decking & the other has a regular road surface. So they actually cross the river in about as different ways as two bridges in roughly the same spot could.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  20. #3320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Driving across? What was really different in that sense? I imagine one bridge, in the same location, crossed the river in much the same way as the older one did.
    Except one had the singing grated metal decking & the other has a regular road surface. So they actually cross the river in about as different ways as two bridges in roughly the same spot could.
    The grated metal decking in no way impeded my egress across the river or even slowed it down. Perhaps its at a pitch that influenced you in some way although I don't know how.

    In function they both cross the river in much the same way and involving the same time.

    But feel free to say in bold red font that I'm wrong.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  21. #3321

    Default

    i heard traffic was MUCH MUCH better this morning with the new lane open

  22. #3322

    Default

    ^Could be because 2 lanes were closed on Gateway around 34AVE this morning which resulted in it being backed up and hardly anybody getting through. Gateway traffic volume north of there would be greatly reduced.

    Gateway was being described as a parking lot on twitter this am.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  23. #3323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    The grated metal decking in no way impeded my egress across the river or even slowed it down.
    You've never had to jam on the brakes on the bridge I take it. If you had you'd notice that the reduced contact patch inherent with an open grate bridge deck decreases stopping ability. This is exacerbated in wet or icy conditions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    In function they both cross the river in much the same way and involving the same time.
    Except one is far safer in the event of an unexpected traffic event.

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    But feel free to say in bold red font that I'm wrong.
    I save that for the times you're deliberately & dangerously disingenuous, not just being a festering contrarian nincompoop.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  24. #3324

    Default

    haha

    No, I don't tail gate on any road surface, or especially a grated metal bridge. So no I've never had to stamp on the brakes there. But expanding on this no low level bridges crossing bodies of water are great stopping surfaces during typical winter conditions. Low level bridge decks are typically bad. That should be expected.

    Oh look, the contrarian calling a curmudgeon a contrarian..

    Readers must be overjoyed with mirth.
    Last edited by Replacement; 29-09-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  25. #3325

    Default

    I love it when people have so little actual content to rebut me with that they fall back on "contrarian".

    If you don't think replacing a bridge whose decking necessitated warning signs & lower truck loading with one that removes the need for both of them is an improvement, that's fine. It's entirely within your prerogative to be completely & utterly wrong. I'm not disagreeing with you for the sake of disagreeing, I'm correcting your basic errors in cognition.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  26. #3326

    Default

    Tactically you rebut identically using different words. Which anybody reading can see. The difference being you steadfastly deny when called on it.

    I'm well aware of the difference of the bridges relative to trucks. With that logic should we be demolishing the HLB?

    I wasn't commenting on trucks using the bridge. I was commenting on commuters using the bridge. This being a better bridge for trucks may be a mixed blessing for the commuters.
    Last edited by Replacement; 29-09-2017 at 01:06 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  27. #3327
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    4,319

    Default

    Keep going, lads. A bit of mirth is always a good thing.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

  28. #3328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Keep going, lads. A bit of mirth is always a good thing.
    I'm sure its interesting reading. haha.

    Spade calls spade a shovel etc.

    ps I liked how the old Walterdale bridge "sang" it was kind of reminiscent. Just something you get familiar with.
    Last edited by Replacement; 29-09-2017 at 01:09 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  29. #3329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Tactically you rebut identically using different words. Which anybody reading can see. The difference being you steadfastly deny when called on it.

    I'm well aware of the difference of the bridges relative to trucks. With that logic should we be demolishing the HLB?
    Nice slippery slope fallacy, git.

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I wasn't commenting on trucks using the bridge. I was commenting on commuters using the bridge. This being a better bridge for trucks may be a mixed blessing for the commuters.
    Move those goalposts, you disingenuous douchebag.

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I imagine one bridge, in the same location, crossed the river in much the same way as the older one did.
    I don't see the word commuter anywhere in there. You said the bridge was no different than the other & have been attempting to remove the use cases & reasons that show the differences ever since.

    You may be smarter than I think you are, but it's pretty clear you're not nearly as smart as you think you are.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  30. #3330

    Default

    But somehow I manage to avoid calling other posters here git, disingenuous douchebag, etc and ascribing that nature of thing to almost any posters here in what could be viewed as a pretty deplorable look at other posters.

    Your exhibited version of being ingenious is telling others you hold them in contempt due to their assumed ignorance. When you aren't ranting about others perceived slights all the time.

    Virtually anybody here could view that you engage in that as much or more than anybody here.

    Note that I don't infer any more about that than its your chosen and convenient mode of operation here. To that end I have no difficulty tolerating it.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  31. #3331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    My review: Driving across New Walterdale is light years better than Old Walterdale. I have no opinion on any of the other issues as I crossed it later on Tuesday evening and traffic was light.
    Driving across? What was really different in that sense? I imagine one bridge, in the same location, crossed the river in much the same way as the older one did.

    I say things like this because this bridge was way more expensive than it needed to be. Ironically located, and named after the common sense, not fancy, John Walterdale Ferry which was simply a pragmatic way to cross the river. Which is all any bridge does imo and the only purpose of it.

    We've moved somehow into an age where everything needs to be pretty, World Class, etc. In other words form over function. In a city wanting for more river crossing lanes.
    Surface, lane width, shoulders, etc. A bus or commercial truck could be next to me while crossing and I don't believe I'll have to worry about them being partially in my lane anymore, as they did before and still do on the Low Level.

    Edit: It was better, but not some life altering experience in case readers can't make the distinction.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  32. #3332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    My review: Driving across New Walterdale is light years better than Old Walterdale. I have no opinion on any of the other issues as I crossed it later on Tuesday evening and traffic was light.
    Driving across? What was really different in that sense? I imagine one bridge, in the same location, crossed the river in much the same way as the older one did.

    I say things like this because this bridge was way more expensive than it needed to be. Ironically located, and named after the common sense, not fancy, John Walterdale Ferry which was simply a pragmatic way to cross the river. Which is all any bridge does imo and the only purpose of it.

    We've moved somehow into an age where everything needs to be pretty, World Class, etc. In other words form over function. In a city wanting for more river crossing lanes.
    Surface, lane width, shoulders, etc. A bus or commercial truck could be next to me while crossing and I don't believe I'll have to worry about them being partially in my lane anymore, as they did before and still do on the Low Level.

    Edit: It was better, but not some life altering experience in case readers can't make the distinction.
    Thanks, but not aware of lanes being so narrow that trucks or busses have to be partially in your lane. The lanes are devised for vehicles to fit in them. Are the lanes that much wider on new Walterdale? Are there any specs on the relative width of the driving lanes on old vs new bridge?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  33. #3333

    Default

    Motorcyle riders will appreciate that grating being gone.

    How long did it take everyone to notice that the BZZZZ sound was gone? For me, 3 trips.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

  34. #3334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Driving across? What was really different in that sense? I imagine one bridge, in the same location, crossed the river in much the same way as the older one did.
    Except one had the singing grated metal decking & the other has a regular road surface. So they actually cross the river in about as different ways as two bridges in roughly the same spot could.
    Not much difference IMHO. If you wanted difference try switching the travel direction on the bridge and reverse the HLB at the same time. Now THAT would be different.

    Only in Edmonton would a new bridge ( with patches )at the same location be a big event. You people need to get out more. FCOL.

    I was driving over a stone bridge this morning in Alsace France that was built in 1504. Things are made to last over here.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 29-09-2017 at 02:15 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  35. #3335
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Strathcona - Mill Creek
    Posts
    5,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cumberland View Post
    Maybe things will get better once the tie-ins are complete at RVR and the third lane is opened?
    It'll help a bit, since it'll allow 1/3 more cars to be on the bridge at any given time.
    No, it'll allow 1/2 more cars on the bridge. Closing the lane would reduce the capacity by 1/3, but opening it increases it by 1/2.

    2+50%=3. 3-33%=2.
    Of course! Not sure what I was thinking. I'd blame it on not having had my cup of coffee this morning, but I don't drink coffee.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

  36. #3336
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,374

    Default

    https://twitter.com/MattNodge/status/913875287825195009

    Matt Nodge‏ @MattNodge
    Loving the width of the walkway/rideway on the new Walterdale, could fit a Buick down this!! #yegbike #yegtraffic

    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  37. #3337
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,590

    Default

    gotta love those galvanized sheet metal shrouds...

    on the other hand, you do have to love those stainless steel handrails when they're new and polished.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  38. #3338

    Default

    Here's a reality-TV styled segment (complete with the dramatic sweeps, zoomed in angles, and non-stop cuts) on the iron workers of the bridge:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWVdp4W3314&sns=fb

    gives an idea of some of the delays...

  39. #3339

    Default


    20171004_102008
    by Dark Magnus, on Flickr


    20171004_102139
    by Dark Magnus, on Flickr

    Any reason why they would need man doors all the way at the top like this ??


    20171004_102155
    by Dark Magnus, on Flickr

    You can see where the light elements will be whenever they turn them on will be a different story entirely

    20171004_102238
    by Dark Magnus, on Flickr

    so they didn't even bother weld the gaps where the plates are when it was on the ground


    20171004_102338
    by Dark Magnus, on Flickr

    The water is moving so damned fast in the small gap left now


    20171004_102249
    by Dark Magnus, on Flickr

  40. #3340

    Default

    man doors = maintenance.

  41. #3341

    Default

    Patch job = Pure Edmonton


    Hope they remove the rip-rap
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  42. #3342
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,454

    Default

    ...can't weld the gaps while it's on the ground if it's built in place.

  43. #3343

    Default

    Anything can be welded, anyplace





    even in outer space
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  44. #3344
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Anything can be welded, anyplace





    even in outer space
    For free too!
    Because it's technically possible means it commercially reasonable!

  45. #3345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Patch job = Pure Edmonton


    Hope they remove the rip-rap
    Why remove something that will prevent erosion

  46. #3346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Patch job = Pure Edmonton


    Hope they remove the rip-rap
    Why remove something that will prevent erosion
    It can increase erosion due to higher current speeds. It can also create ice jams and other issues. The idea of a clear span was to prevent interfering with the natural flow conditions.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  47. #3347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    For free too!
    Because it's technically possible means it commercially reasonable!
    What were the design specifications on the original bid package?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  48. #3348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Patch job = Pure Edmonton


    Hope they remove the rip-rap
    Why remove something that will prevent erosion
    It can increase erosion due to higher current speeds. It can also create ice jams and other issues. The idea of a clear span was to prevent interfering with the natural flow conditions.
    You realize they are putting rip rap almost everywhere in the river valley right?

  49. #3349

    Default

    Not into the streamflow, just on the banks
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  50. #3350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Not into the streamflow, just on the banks
    They need to bring the old bridge down before the berms get taken out prt..........

  51. #3351
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    For free too!
    Because it's technically possible means it commercially reasonable!
    What were the design specifications on the original bid package?
    What does that matter? Are you so unfamiliar with everything that you have never heard the term value engineering or seen a package have addendums issued for the purpose of cost savings or budget alignments?

  52. #3352
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,869

    Default

    It wasn't VE or addendums. It was a bid that carried a non-compliant steel price, that was accepted by the City anyway. And as far as I know, there's never been a public accounting of how much additional cost the city had to incur to significantly step up the manufacturing and testing oversight of the arches due to that decision.

    And for the record, even with the cut-rate, non-compliant bid it was still over budget, not including delay penalties. They botched the initial budgeting process as well, as the compliant bids were coming in something like 20-25% over budget. But hey, we ended up with a bridge that's only 5-10% over budget and over 2 years late! Bravo!
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 05-10-2017 at 11:14 AM.

  53. #3353

    Default

    I have been informed that once the bridge removal is complete the bank will be further graded back. The stones will be moved back to the new alignment for the path way under the bridge. The current does speed up through that zone anyway. the wider river reduces in width past the power plant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Patch job = Pure Edmonton


    Hope they remove the rip-rap
    Why remove something that will prevent erosion

  54. #3354
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    City of Champions
    Posts
    7,250

    Default

    For environmental reasons they have to remove the riprap along the river and try to restore the channel to close to what it was before the bridge was built.

    PS: I'd hate to be the person who needs to use that man door.

  55. #3355
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    It wasn't VE or addendums. It was a bid that carried a non-compliant steel price, that was accepted by the City anyway. And as far as I know, there's never been a public accounting of how much additional cost the city had to incur to significantly step up the manufacturing and testing oversight of the arches due to that decision.

    And for the record, even with the cut-rate, non-compliant bid it was still over budget, not including delay penalties. They botched the initial budgeting process as well, as the compliant bids were coming in something like 20-25% over budget. But hey, we ended up with a bridge that's only 5-10% over budget and over 2 years late! Bravo!
    This project came in $19M under budget.

  56. #3356
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Think BIGGER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    It wasn't VE or addendums. It was a bid that carried a non-compliant steel price, that was accepted by the City anyway. And as far as I know, there's never been a public accounting of how much additional cost the city had to incur to significantly step up the manufacturing and testing oversight of the arches due to that decision.

    And for the record, even with the cut-rate, non-compliant bid it was still over budget, not including delay penalties. They botched the initial budgeting process as well, as the compliant bids were coming in something like 20-25% over budget. But hey, we ended up with a bridge that's only 5-10% over budget and over 2 years late! Bravo!
    This project came in $19M under budget.
    That's not my recollection of news articles on it. Without spending a bunch of time looking, here's one: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...9-5m-1.1396947

    A $19.5 million increase to the budget for the new Walterdale Bridge was approved by Edmonton city council on Wednesday.

    The extra money was requested by city staff after the lowest bid submitted for the project was 14 per cent above the original estimate.

    A longer construction period, changes to the bridge foundations, site security and historical monitoring also added to the cost, which now sits at $155 million.
    That backs up my recollection. Problem is, when the City says that the project is "on budget" these days, that's in relation to the higher 155 million budget. Not the previous 136 million budget prior to tender. Had the City thrown out the non-compliant bid, which they absolutely should have, the budget would have had to be raised by another 10-15 million on top of that 19 million, because that was the size of the gap to the next lowest bidder. So in reality, the lowest compliant bid was actually something like 25-30% over the City's original budget for the project (which I would assume is done on the same napkin most of their other significant infrastructure budgeting is done on).

    Any responsible estimator and/or owner should have looked at how much lower the low bid was and said to themselves "geez, these guys are roughly 10% lower than their competitors, and margins on these kinds of projects are in the single digits. Either they're trying to pull a fast one with something non-compliant, or they've made a huge error". But apparently if you're the City of Edmonton, you just say "WOOOO FREE MONEY" and don't worry about the consequences even after the other bidders have warned you that the low bid was carrying a non-compliant supplier for the most important component of the project.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 16-10-2017 at 03:08 PM.

  57. #3357

    Default

    You are correct Marcel

    Sort of like the wife coming home from shopping with bags of new clothes and say; "Honey, you should see all the money I saved!"
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  58. #3358

    Default

    As a result of this bridge and the subsequent congestion that has been caused. My coworker and I have stopped taking the bridge altogether to work. We go north up through 83 street and through all the LRT construction which is still faster than taking the walterdale bridge if going downtown. My other coworker now starts at 830 instead of 8 due to this bridge.

    So in my eyes, this bridge is a massive failure. Its 2 years late, its incredibly expensive when something could have been achieved for much cheaper and somehow it has lead to more congestion as it takes a much shorter and straighter approach and an inefficient tie in between Gateway and 109 st.

  59. #3359
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,612

    Default

    Visually I really like the bridge. Functionally I will wait to see once all work has been fully completed. There is still construction on site so in my opinion it is still not fully operational. I do think though that in the long run it will be fully successful once we get past the initial growing pains.

  60. #3360

    Default

    I just took the bridge about 20 minutes ago and all 3 lanes are open as well as the left-turn lane onto River Road.

    There are brackets being attached to the top of the northernmost arch of the old bridge in order to pick it up as a whole? One of the 2 big crawler cranes has been left on site, I assume to do some heavy lifting.
    Last edited by Spudly; 16-10-2017 at 05:22 PM.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

  61. #3361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    I just took the bridge about 20 minutes ago and all 3 lanes are open as well as the left-turn lane onto River Road.

    There are brackets being attached to the top of the northernmost arch of the old bridge in order to pick it up as a whole? One of the 2 big crawler cranes has been left on site, I assume to do some heavy lifting.
    The 2nd is down below you can almost see it on the live cam if you look closely

  62. #3362

    Default

    Down below where? There's no sign of a 2nd crawler (blue) on the static cam, which give the best view of the whole site.

    OK, I think I maybe see it on the west side of the northernmost pier. That's a pretty recent development. Hopefuly tomorrow mornign starts sunny to throw some light that way.
    Last edited by Spudly; 16-10-2017 at 06:06 PM. Reason: looked harder and sorta saw it
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

  63. #3363

  64. #3364
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Royal Gardens
    Posts
    1,666

    Default

    The northern section of the old Walterdale bridge has just been moved off the piers. Moving quick.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

  65. #3365

    Default

    It took a couple days to hook up the crane lines and disconnect it from the deck, then only an hour to lift and put it on the ground. That was the hour I wasn't looking.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

  66. #3366
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,078

    Default

    I drove over the new bridge while they had that section hoisted up. Quite a few people there to watch.

  67. #3367
    Last edited by Dark Magnus; 24-10-2017 at 01:58 PM.

  68. #3368

    Default

    ^
    No worries, that's one picture that deserves to be full size, thanks!

  69. #3369

    Default

    And there's not much left of it to see anymore, just a couple triangles on the south end. It's getting chopped up pretty quickly!
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

  70. #3370
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,088

    Default

    Quickest bridge work Edmonton has ever seen.

  71. #3371
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,078

    Default

    The sooner they get the iron to the scrapyard the sooner they'll get a cheque to pay their late fines

  72. #3372

    Default

    There's no way the multy use trails will be ready till next year so they will have to wait for that cheque regardless.

  73. #3373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Quickest bridge work Edmonton has ever seen.
    The City of Edmonton has a history of taking things down quickly.

    Getting things built or repaired is a whole different saga.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  74. #3374
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    There's no way the multy use trails will be ready till next year so they will have to wait for that cheque regardless.
    I meant the cheque from the scrapyard. Actually they pay cash on the spot. A lot of tons of scrap iron there. The contractor generally gets the spoils.

  75. #3375

    Default

    Probably cost more just for the cranes than the scrap was worth.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  76. #3376

    Default

    The southern segment is off the piers and on the ground now.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

  77. #3377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    The southern segment is off the piers and on the ground now.
    Looks like they picked it back up and are in the process of putting it on the old approach of the birdge with help from a heavy lift truck.

  78. #3378

    Default

    I just drove by about 20 minutes ago because I was curious. This morning I assumed it was done like the north end and just lifted and put on the ground. The south end of the segment is now on a flatbed and the north end is on some blue supports and the big crane is disconnected. I suspect the segment will eventually be pulled southward to be disasembled.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

  79. #3379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    I just drove by about 20 minutes ago because I was curious. This morning I assumed it was done like the north end and just lifted and put on the ground. The south end of the segment is now on a flatbed and the north end is on some blue supports and the big crane is disconnected. I suspect the segment will eventually be pulled southward to be disasembled.
    Yes. if you look on the webcam they have a black tarp just like they did with the other segment


  80. #3380

    Default

    Hang on, which webcam is that from?

  81. #3381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonk View Post
    Hang on, which webcam is that from?
    http://www.earthcam.net/projects/isl...ring/?cam=pano

  82. #3382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Wrong link much? lol

  83. #3383

    Default

    The shears made short work of the south span.

  84. #3384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Wrong link much? lol
    D'Oh! Brain cramp.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

  85. #3385

    Default

    Its nearly midnight on Friday. -14C, -18 with the windchill. There's been someone cutting/grinding/welding the center span of the old bridge all evening. And previous evenings too. Those guys don't fool around!
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

  86. #3386

    Default More Images

    Out with the old
    The Old Bridge by Glen Bowe, on Flickr

    In with the new
    The New Bridge by Glen Bowe, on Flickr

  87. #3387

    Default

    Ugly plates....
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  88. #3388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Ugly plates....

  89. #3389

    Default

    Ugly horse


    Plates are still ugly
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  90. #3390
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    City of Champions
    Posts
    7,250

    Default

    Unfortunately the plates still look ugly, the LRT will block traffic near NAIT, Southgate and soon Bonnie Doon, so the horse is dead it doesn't mean the point is wrong.

  91. #3391
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,590

    Default

    i’ll add my two cents worth as well...

    the plates are ugly.

    and they will always be ugly.

    and they will be the first component to rust, so they will be even uglier.

    and they will forever remind us how often we never quite go all in whether in initial design or construction or ongoing maintenance.

    the bridge is beautiful but the plates are ugly and what they represent is ugly.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  92. #3392

    Default

    Perfectly said.



    And THAT is our signature bridge...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  93. #3393
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,443

    Default

    I imagine that vendors must get frustrated with the city when projects have to be done to city parameters that don’t work.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

  94. #3394
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Gotta be honest, I don't even notice the plates, until someone starts complaining about them. Then next time I look at the bridge, I've forgotten all about them already.

  95. #3395

    Default

    So how are they going to lift off the middle span?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice View Post
    Out with the old
    The Old Bridge

  96. #3396

    Default

    I would think a two crane lift to move the center point of the span as far south of the southernmost pillar as possible. After that, it should go similarly to the way the southern span went.

  97. #3397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taras View Post
    So how are they going to lift off the middle span?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice View Post
    Out with the old
    The Old Bridge
    Each big crawler crane has a harness for its end now. There's a support structure unseen to the left in the picture. My guess is that it will be shifted south to sit on that and the south pier, then the south crawler will take over to bring it further south to rest on the bank and the structure, then onto land.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

  98. #3398

    Default

    ^Correct
    Last edited by Dark Magnus; 06-11-2017 at 02:25 PM.

  99. #3399

    Default

    Does anyone know how they will remove the concrete pillars that held up the old bridge? Some well placed sticks of dynamite might work best but that seems unlikely. I don't know how deep they go.

  100. #3400

    Default

    Maybe not dynamite, but non-explosive demolition using an expanding grout after the piers have been cut or chomped to water level: http://www.archerusa.com/nonexplosiv...on_Harcon.html
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •