Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,200 of 3278

Thread: Walterdale Bridge Replacement | U/C

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Likely! It's quite the nightmare these days to bike from say, Groat Road, to East of downtown unless you know exactly where to go. Between Walterdale, the funicular, and LRT construction there's huge disruption to the trail system and no real way to avoid it.

Yep. Its also ironic that the COE started a Bike Network DT at the same time that a lot of Rivervalley bike trails and access has been decimated.

Seems like its going to be years until the bike network on north or south side of the river has some return to normal. I don't even bother going out that way anymore. Take diff cycling trips to avoid the nightmare.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Long Term Contributor

Concur. Similar to not closing sidewalks for construction, we need reasonable alternative routes for construction disruption in the valley trail system as well.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Construction update - 2017.08.27

And on the west side of the bridge they're building jetties to surround the piers of the old bridge.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E SME

Looks like the light poles are going up, and the berms are gradually being dug up.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Bridge is looking great.

I agree it looks good. I drove across the old bridge earlier this evening and the connectors are not very noticeable unless you specifically look for them.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I am actually kind of surprised you can't see Stantec poking through yet on this shot (great picture btw)

C2E SME

I think that's about the only angle left where you can't see the Ice District.

Gorgeous.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

City will still not announce an opening date.

The city still won’t say when the long-delayed new Walterdale Bridge will finally open to traffic.
    Adam Laughlin, Edmonton’s deputy city manager of integrated infrastructure, told reporters in June that, based on the contractor’s schedule, the main portion of the bridge would start carrying vehicles in September, barring major weather delays.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...terdale-bridge
    Last edited by Barry N; 06-09-2017 at 04:37 PM.
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Wow, is the only word that come to mind

Napkin math tells me that's about $10.4M in late penalties to date
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

What's the rush? It's not like people can't cross the river. There's been plenty of work done on both approaches like paving and sidewalks and sodding, so it's pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    What's the rush? It's not like people can't cross the river. There's been plenty of work done on both approaches like paving and sidewalks and sodding, so it's pretty close.
    Well there is the dipsy doodle turn at the bottom of the river valley and the various lane closures around the bridge that have led to prolonged congestion in the area. There is also the perception that the city can't get anything right with any of the larger projects. They don't seem to be able to get anything done on time or quite right. It all drags out painfully slow and deadlines are repeatedly missed or ignored and dismissed.

I think citizens want a city that isn't run like a gong show and the last few years has been too much of that.

And yet again Edmonton's delays hits international news...
    http://www.enr.com/articles/42690-ho...dmonton-bridge

I can easily see the ongoing litigation about the quality of materials and workmanship delaying the opening ad libitum.

Just as in the north-east LRT line, would the city be eager to open a bridge if it stood a chance of a court decision that for legal if not engineering reasons would be equivalent to a declaration of structural deficiency?

I had been hearing end of next week or early the following... not sure where that is though.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I think the only things left are marking the lanes and connecting the lights. Is there anything else?

If this bridge doesn't open by election day, Iveson could lose votes.

The supply problems are not really their fault. I would just be happy the bridge is done and not penalize anyone. $hit happens. This company has had to endure enough already. Imagine the extra costs they have already entailed with such a lengthy time frame and also repairs to sub par supplies. They will likely have a hard time breaking even as it is.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 07-09-2017 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    The supply problems are not really their fault. I would just be happy the bridge is done and not penalize anyone. $hit happens. This company has had to endure enough already. Imagine the extra costs they have already entailed with such a lengthy time frame and also repairs to sub par supplies. They will likely have a hard time breaking even as it is.
    They bid the job didn't they? To be 2 years late on a project is simply unacceptable and any penalties they occur are completely justified.

You don't stay in business and make money by not delivering as promised.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponto View Post
    They bid the job didn't they? To be 2 years late on a project is simply unacceptable and any penalties they occur are completely justified.

You'll be sure to tell the folks near the 102 Ave bridge that they failed to account for the bridge being a year late, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponto View Post

You'll be sure to tell the folks near the 102 Ave bridge that they failed to account for the bridge being a year late, right?
    Lol

What happens in the real world COE dealings vs. what should happen are two very different things it seems.

The bridge looks nice, even if it is not yet open.
    Walterdale Bridge by Glen Bowe, on Flickr

Yup. Love it.
    www.decl.org

I like the 'then and now' aspect of the two bridges together.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Default A closer look

A closer view using my 100mm lens taken a little earlier on the same evening as the image above. This one sure looks Photoshopped but it wasn't. Just adjusted contrast and sharpness in Lightroom.

Walterday Bridge 2 by Glen Bowe, on Flickr
    Last edited by Voice; 09-09-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Looks great. Now finish it already.

Ugly patch job...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Whatever it looks like in this area is largely irrelevant. This being a far less seen area of the river than say the deplorable Low Level bridge vantage points.

So we build an allegedly pretty bridge in a nondescript location while Low Level bridge continues to photo bomb almost any river valley/DT picture and is the sore point of all of those photos. With it being framed in most of those views.

I always thought we should build a 4 or more lane basic pragmatic bridge at Walterdale (where traffic and lane demand is high) and demo the Low Level and build a signature bridge there, if anywhere.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

And then complain that we missed an opportunity to build something nice when (hopefully one day) the Leg Annex is gone and Rossdale becomes something interesting.

largely irrelevant area? My my replacement, your previous signature should never have been removed. This is the main entrance to downtown from the south, the airport. This bridge is the first bridge most new people to Edmonton will see when coming to downtown.

Second, the High Level bridge is first.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

From a photographic standpoint people took a lot of images with the Low Level Bridge because of the view (Canada Place, Convention Centre and Hotel MacDonald) and there is good access for standing around with a camera. Now those characteristics exist for the Walterdale bridge. I was originally standing at this spot by myself and a little early for the sunset. Gradually people with camera's started to gather until it was quite busy. I think this is the new view of Edmonton and in a couple of years when the bridge is finished and Stantec is part of the skyline this is going to be the new place to photograph the downtown. At least that's my opinion.

I am traveling in Europe this month. The have bridges of every type from stone to high tech cantilever suspension. Lots of steel truss bridges too. IMHO the only really ugly one in Edmonton was the old 102nd Ave bridge near 124th street. It can be argued that the High Level Bridge is just as ugly as the Low Level or old Walterdale.

I think we wasted too much money on the Walter dale replacement and I would have liked a simple concrete arch underneath the roadway with low level LED lighting and no projections higher than the necessary pedestrian way. A 20 foot wide bike and walkway would have allowed unobstructed views of downtown and the HLB from the new Walterdale.

Enough money left over to replace both Low Level bridges.

The main thing I hate is that they did not remove the lights at the south end of the bridge. They could have easily made it free flow with a minor underpass for traffic access to Kinsmen from Q.E. Drive
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    largely irrelevant area? My my replacement, your previous signature should never have been removed. This is the main entrance to downtown from the south, the airport. This bridge is the first bridge most new people to Edmonton will see when coming to downtown.
    Not what I'm saying. As stated the bridge SHOULD have been more lanes, to service the demand, as I stated. A practical design emphasizing lanes would have been better in this location. People driving on it don't care what it looks like. The area is not majorly photographed as compared to the common frame of the Low Level facing pictures.

Nor do I think this location will become a major picture taking area of the DT. People just recently complained about Rossdale Power Plant and area being on a picture denoting Edmonton. Walterdale bridge pictures would feature Rossdale Power Plant and a bunch of non descript low rise apartments built out around the area decades ago. Most tired looking. Its a poor view and putting a signature bridge in that location does not make a lot of photogenic sense.
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-09-2017 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    And then complain that we missed an opportunity to build something nice when (hopefully one day) the Leg Annex is gone and Rossdale becomes something interesting.
    Not at all. My opinion on this bridge design is unchanged. I was against this "world class" design from the outset and especially due to the limited lanes it services and that it is essentially another low level bridge albeit with pointlessly high arches.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Second, the High Level bridge is first.
    first at what? The bridge takes people south out of the downtown area. It's not likely the first bridge they will see and use to get into downtown.

There better be some improved way finding or improved route to the walterdale. Few tourists are aware, or inclined to know that one needs to go down Gateway, encounter a dead end T intersection, then make the right turn, then make a sharp turn left to get to the snaking road that leads to the Walterdale. The only thing tourists would be thinking (and I hear this all the time) is what a complete joke of an entry to the DT this route is.

The reality is any tourist in a rent a car coming from the airport is going to find it challenging finding downtown with this circuitous route.

In anycase fairly the last thing they are going to be thinking upon navigating this convoluted mess of a corridor is "what a pretty bridge" more like "wheres that confounded bridge". If I encountered a traffic engineering disaster like this connected to the main highway in the province/state I'm visiting I would be swearing blue streaks about how ineptly inane the connection is.

Really I feel sorry for anybody entering the DT via Walterdale.

Finally, its arguably easier to enter DT via Henday East and then hitting say 98ave. Would be quicker most times of the day. Would also involve an access point that isn't embarrassing.
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-09-2017 at 06:57 PM.

lol, just took the route on google.

The City has the smallest possible sign alerting drivers of the direction to the downtown (mounted on a no parking sign and almost the same size as that) that the Gateway Road is done, ends, abruptly, and you have to turn right. Then the next directional sign is just as small and has two different arrows to the DT. Anybody would think the route making the abrupt hairpin turn is NOT the main advised route. ANYBODY would think that. Next the city gives no proper indication that the turn is a HAIRPIN turn. (lmfao) That its a turn of the most severe variety that has to be approached at a crawl. While avoiding those not keeping in their lanes through the turn that are even less aware.. By the hairpin turn I would be swearing if I was a visitor. I would think WTF, is this a detour? Clearly this can't be a major cities idea of a main connecting route for the main entry into the city...but no, this is the route..

The next thing anybody with a brain would note is why a major city couldn't just grade the approach route altogether making for a straighter connection and avoiding the switchbacks altogether. So that GAteway Boulevard gradually slopes directly to the bridge approach. The next thought as one meanders down the hill would be what kind of dope decided to put a low level bridge in this location that results in a 200ft gradient change of elevation from a main road (my lord).

Now assuming you didn't end up in the wrong lane headed to Kinsmen you get to the bridge (DT direction not marked) then you have to veer over and not take the obvious bridge, New Walterdale, and realize the detour to old Walterdale, lolol, this route is designed for accidents. Now just follow the cars in front of you otherwise you might find yourself entering the Kinsmen parking lot again...hopefully the cars in front of you know where they are going. God forbid the signage isn't pointing the way. Laughably theres a Shaw conference sign. No DT sign as you cross bridge. So you're now crossing old Walterdale, a bridge that looks like it could be in Stettler or Ponoka. (you continue to think this can't be the entrance into a major city, it just can't be..) Now please avoid going to Rossdale road, that's not the way, stay on 105 street, no signs are pointing to DT. Continue up the one way 105st noting that suddenly its 4 lanes whereas you were lane cramped, bottlenecked and corkscrewed all the way leading to this. Admire that this road is straight, straight uphill, hopefully theres no ice..Don't be in the lane that suddenly ends..you don't want that..

As you climb 105st note that theres a sign to the riverboat. Don't take that, its not even operating, theres also a sign directing you back to Kinsmen, don't take that, especially if you already ended up in that parking lot before...plod ahead, the climb will end sometime. Keep going up 105st, no directional arrows will tell you when you reach DT or that you're even in it. Just know that you have arrived in what looks like DT Regina. Now consider leaving town quickly and cancelling your reservation before even trying to find your hotel.

This is what a tourist sees.
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-09-2017 at 07:36 PM.

the smallest possible signs?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.52216...7i13312!8i6656

I'd screenshot and upload that, but unable to at work currently.

I do admit, the hairpin is not ideal... but it's not that bad.

most people have turn by turn navigaton and GPS now. It's really just old dudes like you who should really have their licence re-examined and eye sight checked that have troubles.

As for fixing the hairpin, there's been much discussion about that... but its NOT related to the bridge. That's another mess to be fixed on a different project. The bridge needed to be replaced ASAP, and that's why it was done without including other things.
    Last edited by Medwards; 11-09-2017 at 08:05 AM.

'I do admit, the hairpin is not ideal... but it's not that bad.'

This.
    www.decl.org

And the city has been looking into fixing/coming up with better solutions, but will likely come as a larger parcel of work to address everything gateway from 76 avenue northwards, and maybe waiting to see what happens with the Strathcona CP Yards...

The hairpin turn is "not ideal" LMFAO. Its the worst traffic configuration I've seen on a main road found anywhere. One would expect to see it as a temporary device and people would rightfully complain about it if it was even a temporary detour saying that something better should be provided. When I take this hairpin I just laugh, and remind myself that I live in Edmonton and that somehow this has sufficed for decades.

Am I to understand from your post that GPS is now somehow required and that proper road signage is now redundant and that this gives the city an out to be inept in this regard?

My own take is that over reliance on GPS is potentially distracting. It has the potential to distract the driver. For instance when approaching hairpin turns in which they would fall off a cliff if not paying proper attention..

btw the only other hairpin turns I am familiar with that are that bad are on Mt Edith Cavell road. All the turns are properly indicated and with clearly posted required speeds. I see no such reduced speed sign on the Queen Elizabeth hairpin.

You've probably never left Edmonton in that case, and once again, your making a mountain out of a molehill

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    'I do admit, the hairpin is not ideal... but it's not that bad.'

This.
    Define bad. Cite a worse traffic device found anywhere on a main road providing access to the DT. The hairpin is an embarrassment. I would NEVER tell somebody to take that route. Unless I didn't like them..then I would still feel guilt.

Replacement - could you start a thread on this discussion? The hairpin is not part of the Walterdale bridge replacement. You seem to like to fly off on unrelated tangents. This thread is purely about the bridge.

Thanks.

You've probably never left Edmonton in that case.
    No, I've never seen a jurisdiction so inept that it allowed a backroad to be the main access to the DT bridge for decades and that has a main road stop at a T intersection, then have to navigate the sharpest of possible hairpin turns, just to find a bridge that should have been torn down decades ago and is being replaced by one with far too few lanes.

Most cities do a better job allowing egress to their DT. Most river cities would have better access.

Please cite a city that has something this bad.

Replacement - could you start a thread on this discussion? The hairpin is not part of the Walterdale bridge replacement. You seem to like to fly off on unrelated tangents. This thread is purely about the bridge.

Thanks.
    The embarrassing hairpin is a primary access to the Walterdale bridge. Afaik the only access to it if taking Gateway Boulevard. The sidebar is completely appropriate, within the thread.

The low level walterdale has resulted in the 200ft drop from the bank and the continuation of a far from ideal access point to the bridge. Hey maybe in a few decades after building the new Walterdale the city could come up with an inappropriate route from Gateway to get to it. I can hope this occurs in my lifetime.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-09-2017 at 09:55 AM.

As I've stated before, the old bridge is near failure. The replacement was needed immediately, so the bridge was replaced. The city needs more time to study a solution for the hairpin. The hairpin is unrelated to the bridge construction.

The thread is titled Walterdale Bridge Replacement U/C.

The bridge being replaced is a low level bridge around the same site as the long ago Walterdale ferry and still with fairly the same meander down the bank to get to the ferry, oh wait bridge, in 2017.

It doesn't occur to you that access to a bridge with such woeful access from Gateway Blvd is part and parcel of what needs to be reconstructed? You were the one that brought up Walterdale being the obvious bridge for Gateway and all those people coming into Edmonton. Arguably you created the sidebar to which I've been responding to. To wit;

"This is the main entrance to downtown from the south, the airport. This bridge is the first bridge most new people to Edmonton will see when coming to downtown."

So it follows that the same people in order to use the bridge will navigate the ridiculous hairpin turn and wonder why a city in 2017 is using the same path down a hill that was used when something akin to Red River Carts might have been going down to John Walters ferry..

progress..

With this kind of access from Gateway the new Walterdale is a failure before its even been opened. Because it fails to efficiently address the traffic needs in the area adequately. A bridge exists, practically, only as a traffic infrastructure to cross water/obstacle. In that sense it is simply a throughput, a path from one point to another, for the purpose of moving traffic. How specious of you to suggest that entry and exit for the bridge have no relation in that discussion.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-09-2017 at 10:15 AM.

replacement. Do you have reading comprehension problems? Or just that daft? WTF can't you read.

As I've stated before, the old bridge is near failure. The replacement was needed immediately, so the bridge was replaced. The city needs more time to study a solution for the hairpin. The hairpin is unrelated to the bridge construction.
    again... the bridge needed IMMEDIATE replacement before it failed and dropped cars in to the river. The city didn't have time to study changes to the hairpin. The new bridge is built, and the approaches to the bridge can be addressed in a different project once a decision is made on how to fix the problem.

Now, lets return this discussion to about the bridge and to discuss the hairpin, use this thread: http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...Drive-QE-Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

The bridge being replaced is a low level bridge around the same site as the long ago Walterdale ferry and still with fairly the same meander down the bank to get to the ferry, oh wait bridge, in 2017.

It doesn't occur to you that access to a bridge with such woeful access from Gateway Blvd is part and parcel of what needs to be reconstructed? You were the one that brought up Walterdale being the obvious bridge for Gateway and all those people coming into Edmonton. Arguably you created the sidebar to which I've been responding to. To wit;

"This is the main entrance to downtown from the south, the airport. This bridge is the first bridge most new people to Edmonton will see when coming to downtown."

So it follows that the same people will see the ridiculous hairpin turn and wonder why a city in 2017 is using the same path down a hill that was used when something akin to Red River Carts might have been going down to John Walters ferry..

progress..

With this kind of access from Gateway the new Walterdale is a failure before its even been opened. Because it fails to efficiently address the traffic needs in the area adequately. A bridge exists, practically, only as a traffic infrastructure to cross water/obstacle. In that sense it is simply a throughput, a path from one point to another, for the purpose of moving traffic. How specious of you to suggest that entry and exit have no relation in that discussion.
    The only failure here is you, and your inability to understand. The path to the bridge can STILL be fixed, and WILL be address in a different project, which has a much bigger scope than just fixing the hairpins. Please use the approriate thread, and PFO about it on this thread.
    This thread should, and is only about the physical bridge in itself.

It's managed to survive 2 more years than planned, hasn't it? I must have missed all the falling cars in the news.....

It could survive another 100, it just needs better maintenance and, eventually, weight restrictions - which would necessitate either a new bridge or a reasonable uphill route from kinsmen for trucks. Nothing wrong with wanting an upgrade, but a "no trucks" walterdale wouldn't be any more of a disaster for the city than the 'no trucks" high level.

edit:

The above is not an argument that the hairpin should have been dealt with at the same time as the bridge, only that the bridge itself wasn't in danger of immediate collapse.
    Last edited by Highlander II; 11-09-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    There can only be one.

A thread from the annals circa 2006 that hasn't been discussed since, and that has been necrotically resurrected from the grave of the prior C2E site. haha, good find.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-09-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

So it follows that the same people will see the ridiculous hairpin turn and wonder why a city in 2017 is using the same path down a hill that was used when something akin to Red River Carts might have been going down to John Walters ferry..

progress..

With this kind of access from Gateway the new Walterdale is a failure before its even been opened. Because it fails to efficiently address the traffic needs in the area adequately. A bridge exists, practically, only as a traffic infrastructure to cross water/obstacle. In that sense it is simply a throughput, a path from one point to another, for the purpose of moving traffic. How specious of you to suggest that entry and exit have no relation in that discussion.
    The only failure here is you, and your inability to understand. The path to the bridge can STILL be fixed, and WILL be address in a different project, which has a much bigger scope than just fixing the hairpins. Please use the approriate thread, and PFO about it on this thread.
    This thread should, and is only about the physical bridge in itself.
    The path to the bridge would much more easily have been fixed if the bridge in question wasn't such a low level bridge. So of course the "world Class" low level bridge situated in a deep river valley is subject to its surround, and geography, and its suitability should have been considered in relation to that. This will always be part of the discussion and one that will very quickly be for consideration when this mess of a current bridge is ever open.

NO wait, COE decided it needed a pretty bridge that serves very little useful function beyond that of the century old cheap bridge. But this time with white arches. progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    It's managed to survive 2 more years than planned, hasn't it? I must have missed all the falling cars in the news.....

It could survive another 100, it just needs better maintenance and, eventually, weight restrictions - which would necessitate either a new bridge or a reasonable uphill route from kinsmen for trucks. Nothing wrong with wanting an upgrade, but a "no trucks" walterdale wouldn't be any more of a disaster for the city than the 'no trucks" high level.

edit:

The above is not an argument that the hairpin should have been dealt with at the same time as the bridge, only that the bridge itself wasn't in danger of immediate collapse.
    Of course the hairpin, the actual access to the bridge, from Gateway, should have been addressed. Unfortunately the hairpin, and the permanent detour access remains a major traffic impediment slowing access from Gateway to the new bridge. The city has spent a lot of money on a new signature bridge that will do little to ease the congestion.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-09-2017 at 10:42 AM.

The new bridge will actually do lots to ease congestion, and when the city figures out the right option for the hairpin, it will be address in the future. There's plently of other threads on c2e that have discussed options.

Walterdale Bridge to open 'any day now,' Mayor Don Iveson says
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...on-iveson-says

Hopefully before the election, eh Don?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I was wondering that when I saw the static cam around 6. All the people-lifters were moved to the south yard and the deck looked very bare.

I was wondering that when I saw the static cam around 6. All the people-lifters were moved to the south yard and the deck looked very bare.
    Hmm...so they are extremely close. Now I'll ask the question that I've been asking forever. Is the LED lighting that was in plan for this bridge still there or was it cut? Has anyone seen the bridge lit?

C2E SME

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by millwoods View Post
    Hmm...so they are extremely close. Now I'll ask the question that I've been asking forever. Is the LED lighting that was in plan for this bridge still there or was it cut? Has anyone seen the bridge lit?
    Driving by yesterday I did see what look to be embedded light fixtures in the arch, one per segment. They could be housing LED lights?
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

I make sure I never drive when lit..

I'm here to help.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Replacement - check out page two.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Driving by yesterday I did see what look to be embedded light fixtures in the arch, one per segment. They could be housing LED lights?
    Folks, this is what I was referring to. Just wondering if this got built into the project or not?

Not that I've seen them testing. But there are a couple of big crates with NOMA written on them.

Not that I've seen them testing. But there are a couple of big crates with NOMA written on them.
    So I did a little digging and found that the "Kinetic Lighting System" in the video above was in the project tender. See link below:

http://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLIER...an11nIvQ%3D%3D

https://twitter.com/Kim_SmithTV/stat...01709573496832

Kim Smith @Kim_SmithTV
    Lines being painted on new Walterdale bridge! Looks almost ready to me

"Ready" doesn't appear to apply to the pedestrian portions and connections that look far from ready.

C2E SME

At least get the main bridge open.

Rumour has it that they are painting an X on the road for where Mayor Mc Bike Lane to stand so we see him in all his radiance at the ribbon cutting [ insert rimshot ]
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

http://www.earthcam.net/projects/isl...ring/?cam=pano

Final prep for the road work across the bridge.

Pedestrian crossing not quite done yet.

River bank restoration (including bike paths) is also outstanding

C2E SME

I wonder if Mayor Iveson will open the bridge before the campaign. Same with the funicular.

Sam

C2E SME

Looks like the Walterdale is lit up.

https://twitter.com/CityofEdmonton/s...41463725244416

City of Edmonton‏ @CityofEdmonton
    Landmark, set, go! Walterdale Bridge will open to traffic in time for the Monday morning commute.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...lterdalebridge

The Walterdale Bridge opens to traffic Monday, September 18! Thank you, Edmonton, for your patience as we reached this milestone.

This is a phased opening, with two lanes open to northbound traffic and the full closure of the old Walterdale Bridge. The third (west) traffic lane will remain closed for several weeks to complete tie-ins on the north side of the bridge. All three lanes are expected to be open in October.

Pedestrian/cyclist traffic will remain on the west sidewalk of the old bridge until the new west sidewalk opens in October. The new shared-use path on the east side of the bridge will open later this fall.

C2E SME

Sweet Buddha!

Great to see.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I'd like to see if there's less congestion from Gateway Boulevard.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Sweet Buddha!
    Hah! Indeed. Maybe the original opening sign should've just said, "Monday."

I have faith the LEDs won't highlight the plates.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Spill View Post
    I have faith the LEDs won't highlight the plates.
    Darn, I thought they could have lit them up at night!

Tell me someone took it in today???!?!?!?

Well??!?!
    www.decl.org

Well, it gets you across the river in roughly the same time as the old bridge.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

^ But it will be nice to finally be rid of the two extra 90° turns. Why was the road re-aligned before the bridge construction instead of towards the end of the project?

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Well, it gets you across the river in roughly the same time as the old bridge.
    Yep, and with only two lanes open matching the previous 2 lanes. Progress..

Ahh, posted this on reddit, forgot about you guys. Walterdale 2.0 time lapse this morning.

COE announces that the new Walterdale will be closed from April 01 2018 to Oct 31st 2018 to remove the patch plates left by contractor. Estimated cost of repairs $34.3 million dollars to be taken from snow removal contingency fund. More news at 11 pm.

Not mentioned in the opening announcement is that its not just one lane closed. Its a different lane at either end of the bridge resulting in an unexpected lane changeover situation right on the bridge. With the usual haphazard markings.

Edmonton drivers are used to detours and lane impediments though. This could get tricky at night though if people are not paying attention.

^ good god you complain about the most frivolously of things.

C2E Continued Contributor

So if I read the announcement correctly the west side pedestrian path is open. It looks like there is months of work before the east side patch/cycle lane opens, is there a completion date for that?
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

^ good god you complain about the most frivolously of things.
    I complain about misinformation and in this context about the forlorn Walterdale project. It isn't one lane closed. That's inaccurate as announced. Theres no mention of a necessitated detour into another lane while right on the bridge. All it takes one individual not to navigate that lane switch and the bridge is closed for hours on a rush hour.

misinformation? The announcement said only two lanes would be available until work is complete on the new bridge.

Again, you complain about the most frivolously of things. Must be tiring.

misinformation? The announcement said only two lanes would be available until work is complete on the new bridge.

Again, you complain about the most frivolously of things. Must be tiring.
    Only on Monday mornings..

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    So if I read the announcement correctly the west side pedestrian path is open. It looks like there is months of work before the east side patch/cycle lane opens, is there a completion date for that?
    You've read that wrong. Pedestrians will use Walterdale Bridge until October 2017

• Pedestrians and cyclists continue to use the old bridge until the new west sidewalk opens in October
    • Kinsmen traffic to new bridge will exit using existing road; access will be realigned once all traffic, pedestrians and cyclists are using the new bridge
    • Shared-use path opens in late fall

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...le-bridge.aspx

So when is complete complete? Are the per diem fines running until the last guy stashes his tool and walks away?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I think they consider it complete when all lanes and pedestrian facilities are 100% in use.

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast