Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 186

Thread: Kathleen Andrews Transit Garage - North East | Planning/Discussion

  1. #1
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Meadows
    Posts
    1,976

    Default Kathleen Andrews Transit Garage - North East | Planning/Discussion

    Pegged at approximately $130 million. Site would be the field with the smokestack near 66st and Fort Road. Would replace the aging Westwood Garage near NAIT.
    Last edited by jstock; 08-07-2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Westwood.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

  2. #2

    Default

    Any word if the smokestack will be saved / used for the new building? Id love for it to stay.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

  3. #3
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,626

    Default

    It'd better be staying.

    Maybe a little traffic circle to access the different garages or something.

  4. #4
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Meadows
    Posts
    1,976

    Default

    I presume it will be staying considering the whole Fort Road design features it.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

  5. #5

    Default

    ACK!!! I hope we don't loose this...



    http://capitalmodernedmonton.com/bui...ransit-garage/
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  6. #6

    Default

    What is wrong with this^ It's a transit garage not an art gallery.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  7. #7
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    45,902

    Default

    ^^ agreed.... and hope it might be reincorporated into a future use.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  8. #8

    Default

    Sorry, I misinterpreted EDP's "ACK!" as a sign of disgust that he thought it looked ugly.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  9. #9
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,237

    Default

    I hope they can also relocate the maintenance garages at around 80th street and 116th ave up to the new site.
    Parkdale

  10. #10
    highlander
    Guest

    Default

    The city yards at 95st along the LRT tracks should be relocated to this location when ETS moves out. Public works has something like 4 non-contiguous lots there. And as much as the city wants to redevelop the blatchford area to higher use, they also want to redevelop the quarters, and those yards are much more desirable than the Westwood site in the long term.

  11. #11

    Default

    Is there a timeline for this new garage being built?

  12. #12
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Greenfield
    Posts
    206

    Default

    I hope the stack stays as well!

  13. #13

    Default

    I find it regrettable that they would put a transit garage in that brownfield location. IMHO, we already have way too many city owned yards along the NE LRT line. The old Capital Packers/Imperial Lumber site is twice the size as Station Pointe and could house twice the units without all the expropriation hassles. The CN line only touches the extreme NE corner and we could put a simple LRT station with direct access to the site.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  14. #14
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    45,902

    Default

    ^agreed other than it is a nice central site. I had hoped for a power centre!
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  15. #15

    Default

    It's pretty much cut off from everything else around it. LRT to the east, Yellowhead to the south, CN tracks to the north. Once 66 st access to the Yellowhead is cut off then the only access will be via Fort Road. Can't really see the use of a LRT station there. It's not like the area is going to get a TOD. Perhaps some retail along Fort Rod with the garage in the back would be best.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^agreed other than it is a nice central site. I had hoped for a power centre!
    I believe that Gene Dubb owned the NE end and Rona owned the SW end at one time.

    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    It's pretty much cut off from everything else around it. LRT to the east, Yellowhead to the south, CN tracks to the north. Once 66 st access to the Yellowhead is cut off then the only access will be via Fort Road. Can't really see the use of a LRT station there. It's not like the area is going to get a TOD. Perhaps some retail along Fort Rod with the garage in the back would be best.
    Same could be said for Station Pointe and we spent millions on that spot.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^agreed other than it is a nice central site. I had hoped for a power centre!
    I believe that Gene Dubb owned the NE end and Rona owned the SW end at one time.

    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    It's pretty much cut off from everything else around it. LRT to the east, Yellowhead to the south, CN tracks to the north. Once 66 st access to the Yellowhead is cut off then the only access will be via Fort Road. Can't really see the use of a LRT station there. It's not like the area is going to get a TOD. Perhaps some retail along Fort Rod with the garage in the back would be best.
    Same could be said for Station Pointe and we spent millions on that spot.
    Except for the fact that there's people living across the street from there and the fact that there's already an LRT station a block away, yeah, it's exactly the same.

  18. #18
    Administrator *
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Queen Mary Park, Edmonton
    Posts
    2,744

    Default

    I agree. I think this site has a lot of potential to be a TOD. They could rebuild the LRT bridge over Yellowhead with a new station. The new bridge could be expanded to allow for improved Fort Rd interchange ramps in the future. There would be room for two entrances off of Fort Rd, as well as one on 66 St by the LRT crossing.

  19. #19
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!
    Posts
    1,996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Any word if the smokestack will be saved / used for the new building? Id love for it to stay.
    It is on the A list of the citys Register of Historic Resources. That means that any move to demolish or alter the structure must first be approved by city council.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

  20. #20
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,809

    Default

    Well if the smokestack is in good shape it would be nice if it can be incorporated into whatever goes onto that land.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  21. #21
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Just heard from local business in the area who is part of BRZ initiatives in area. Smokestack is staying and will either be integrated or moved to a prominent visual sight on location.

  22. #22
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    5,597

    Default

    Clad in Aluminum or Stainless
    Lit by phased LED's
    Talus Dome representation of smoke spouting from the top
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

  23. #23
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,554

    Default Cost of Replacement Garage Balloons to $308 million

    According to a document going to Council tomorrow, the cost of replacing the Westwood Transit Garage has ballooned from $140 million to $308 million (Source: Agenda Item 6.7, Attachment 7).

    Brief description as follows: "Revised budget estimate and scope includes 400 bus operating/maintenance garage, clothing stores, new transit control centre, design to accommodate natural gas bus operation, administration offices."

    Comment made to justify the cost escalation: "Increase in estimated project budget in Fall 2013 SCBA to reflect latest design scope and estimated construction costs in 2015."

    Link: http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/c...1310192693.PDF

  24. #24

    Default

    So its the scope that has changed, not ballooning costs...

  25. #25
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    The cryptic one sentence explanation refers to design scope changes and changes in construction costs.

    Regardless, since the Administration made the recommendation to replace rather than upgrade the Westwood garage, you would think a fuller explanation is in order. Instead the revised cost estimate gets buried in an attachment.

  26. #26

    Default

    So you expect a list of reports to be an indepth report?!

    It will go before council and council will ride administration....
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  27. #27
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    ^Did not ask for an indepth report, asked for a fuller explanation of why the replacement transit garage cost has more than doubled.

    The $7 million Rossdale power plant stabilization gets a full explanation in the main Council report and its own attachment. A $168 million escalation in the cost of replacing the Westwood garage gets no mention in the main Council report, and a cryptic two sentence explanation in an attachment.

  28. #28

    Default

    ^ that would be the same thing... you need to look to the meeting materials.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  29. #29

    Default

    Maybe the Garage needs a CRL and a winter garden...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  30. #30
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    City of Champions
    Posts
    7,337

    Default

    Did they want to add the Westwood Garage lands to the Blatchford redevelopment or perhaps to an upcoming NAIT expansion? To me it seems there is probably a bit more to this proposal than just replacing a garage with a larger one but a long term proposal that affects the future of the area.

  31. #31
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    ^Blatchford redevelopment was one of the stated reasons. According to the Business Case prepared by the Administration:
    "In the 2012-2014 Council budget deliberations, staff recommended the construction of a new bus transit garage in place of renovating the old Westwood bus transit garage. Reasons included – better value in new facility, better operational efficiency and more options for expansion. Also, the current site of the old Westwood facility was on prime property for redevelopment to a better use as part of the City Centre Airport redevelopment project. Staff developed a plan that would keep old Westwood facility operational until 2016 while design and construction of a new facility was completed."
    Link to Administration Reports here: http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/a...s&itemid=25840

  32. #32
    highlander
    Guest

    Default

    Sounds silly. The Westwood site is between several other industrial sites, so it's really only valuable as industrial, not the same value as high-density residential. So same value as Westwood.

    I wonder what percentage of the increased costs are to accommodate natural gas buses, there are significant challenges involved. Because whatever costs are involved should be taken into account in any decision to buy/use natural gas buses, and not bundled into the price of this facility.

  33. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Sounds silly. The Westwood site is between several other industrial sites, so it's really only valuable as industrial, not the same value as high-density residential. So same value as Westwood.

    I wonder what percentage of the increased costs are to accommodate natural gas buses, there are significant challenges involved. Because whatever costs are involved should be taken into account in any decision to buy/use natural gas buses, and not bundled into the price of this facility.
    "between", not for long.

  34. #34

    Default

    The costs to tear down the existing garage, clean up the site, do the environmental remediation and put in services for residential are probably way more than the site will be worth on the market for residential. This does include the costs of building a new garage on a different site.

    This is the same false economy as the the lieutenant-governor's official residence where they said it would cost too much to repair it ($400,000), and tore it down. A few years later the costs skyrocketed past $5,300,000. That report was in 2007 and here we sit and nothing will be completed till at least 2015. I wonder how much the total bill will be when you include 10 years of a "temporary" residence, all the planning, management, construction inflation and government bureaucracy that have been involved in this project.


    News report in 2007
    http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=...3-9d3ee8d5c038
    A government spokesman estimated in 2004 it would cost $400,000 to bring the house up to standard, calling it a "money pit."

    Critics called the demolition a waste of money.

    "The history of the official residences in Alberta is very interesting -- including past occurrences of neglect and subsequent costly repair and replacement," former lieutenant-governor Helen Hunley once wrote in a letter to The Journal.
    EDMONTON - Three years after the provincial government demolished the lieutenant-governor's official residence because it was too costly to renovate, a new house for the Queen's representative will start going up this summer (2007) at a total cost of $5.3 million.

    "That includes security, consulting fees, cost escalation, landscaping, furnishing, equipment," said Martin Dupuis, a spokesman for Alberta Infrastructure and Transportation.

    IMHO, Westwood should stay where it is rather than building another hugely expensive garage in another location. If the land is so valuable, then place it on the market and see what offers come forth. I bet the offers would be few and not cover even the demolition and environmental remediation. Alternately, reuse the building like the fantastic Old Strathcona Market in the former bus barns. It could become a plaza, business condo within walking distance of the new homes, or many other uses.

    Let's use out of the box thinking rather than our history of bringing out the wrecking ball first and regretting it the day after. Want me to list just some of the past regrets in Edmonton?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  35. #35
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stinger11 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Sounds silly. The Westwood site is between several other industrial sites, so it's really only valuable as industrial, not the same value as high-density residential. So same value as Westwood.

    I wonder what percentage of the increased costs are to accommodate natural gas buses, there are significant challenges involved. Because whatever costs are involved should be taken into account in any decision to buy/use natural gas buses, and not bundled into the price of this facility.
    "between", not for long.
    Don't think this is at all clear. Removal of the Alberta Forest Service and EPCOR buildings/yards immediately to the north is not contemplated in the most recent Blatchford drawings on the City website.

    City Council made the original decision when the costs were $128 million for replacing and $66 million for upgrading (see report above). Now that the replacement option cost has ballooned to $308 million, it's time for another look.

  36. #36

    Default

    Ya know, not everything needs to be cost effective. Sometimes you need to take a big whallop in the pocketbook to set bigger things in motion for the future. I'm far more concerned with making sure we don't blow this opportunity than I am with the cost.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  37. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stinger11 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Sounds silly. The Westwood site is between several other industrial sites, so it's really only valuable as industrial, not the same value as high-density residential. So same value as Westwood.

    I wonder what percentage of the increased costs are to accommodate natural gas buses, there are significant challenges involved. Because whatever costs are involved should be taken into account in any decision to buy/use natural gas buses, and not bundled into the price of this facility.
    "between", not for long.
    Don't think this is at all clear. Removal of the Alberta Forest Service and EPCOR buildings/yards immediately to the north is not contemplated in the most recent Blatchford drawings on the City website.

    City Council made the original decision when the costs were $128 million for replacing and $66 million for upgrading (see report above). Now that the replacement option cost has ballooned to $308 million, it's time for another look.
    It is the old bait and switch shell game. The City Administration are experts at this tactic. Make a proposal with a low-ball number. Get City Council to commit and then hit them with the real numbers once you get past the point of no return.

    Want me to list just some of the past examples in Edmonton?

    When will Council ever learn?


    The Charlie Brown Syndrome









    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 12-12-2013 at 01:19 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  38. #38

    Default

    bait and switch or council requests changes from the original scope?

    Depends on where your bias is I suppose.

  39. #39

    Default

    How do you spell....paranoid? You see. From the point of an initiation, other ideas pop up over the year/s and expanded scope, usually means, options (efficiencies) are brought to the table and bingo, you have a better facility.

  40. #40
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    City Council has directed Administration to report back to the Transportation Committee on March 5, 2014 with a fuller explanation of the scope changes to the Westwood replacement garage including the business case for natural gas buses (see December 11, 2013 draft minutes, Item 6.7).
    Last edited by East McCauley; 13-12-2013 at 01:29 PM.

  41. #41
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    Punting the Westwood bus garage decision back to the Transportation Committee will allow for a fuller airing of the issue including an opportunity for Edmontonians to weigh in.

    Replacing rather than upgrading the garage made sense when the cost differential was $62 million ($66 million rather than $128 million). Does it still make sense when the cost differential has ballooned to $180 million? If the decision is made to replace rather than upgrade, what will happen with the old garage including site remediation costs? In this regard, it needs to be pointed out that the old Cromdale garage has sat mostly empty and abandoned since its closure.

    I agree with Highlander's point above. Depending on what portion of the increased cost is for accommodating natural gas buses, what are the projected operating savings that could justify this and over what timeframe?
    Last edited by East McCauley; 14-12-2013 at 08:03 AM.

  42. #42

    Default

    Agreed on all points including the Chromdale garage comparison. The savings with NG buses do not outweigh the costs of maintenance, infrastructure and capital costs. 70+% of ETS's costs are labour and fuel costs are only a small portion of the budget.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  43. #43
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,809

    Default

    When was the old Garage built and what are some of the challenges facing the old garage?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  44. #44

    Default

    1961

    One question: since 1961, other than improved ventilation, what has changed in servicing and garging buses that requires a new garage?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  45. #45
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    Here is a link to the documents prepared when Council agreed to Administration's recommendation to replace rather than upgrade Westwood: http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/a...s&itemid=25840

  46. #46
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    The Westwood Garage replacement is back on the Transportation Committee's agenda.

    A summary of the Administration report minus the bafflegab.

    Administration is arguing strongly against upgrading the existing garage, now expected to cost $75 million. NAIT is lusting after the land and the Administration is having trouble beating them off with a stick. Besides, we've already bought the land for the replacement garage which is probably good for nothing other than growing weeds.

    Administration is also scaling back its proposal for a replacement garage, giving up on natural gases buses and reducing capacity to 300 buses (same as Westwood). Cost- $196.4 million with a 2018 completion date.

    See Agenda Items 6.5 and 6.6 here: http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/m...doctype=AGENDA
    Last edited by East McCauley; 23-10-2014 at 09:28 PM.

  47. #47

    Default

    ^

    Northeast bus garage could spur Fort Road redevelopment

    The $196-million structure will cover 500,000 square feet, or about 10 football fields, with room for 300 buses and up to 700 drivers and other employees.

    A staff-only stop will provide easy access to the nearby LRT line that runs beside the currently vacant site northeast of Fort Road and Yellowhead Trail,

    Along with fuelling, maintenance and service equipment, the building — named for Kathleen Andrews, the first female ETS operator — might feature several staff amenities.

    City council has tentatively earmarked $5.1 million to provide space for a credit union, a café in which people working split shifts can buy a hot meal, and a daycare.

    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...416/story.html

  48. #48

    Default

    doubt a bus garage is going to spur development any more than all the other industries in the area.

  49. #49

    Default

    These are new jobs in the area. 700 of them. Massive relocation of good jobs into the neighbourhood.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  50. #50
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton (belevedre)
    Posts
    6,485

    Default

    Fort Road is in serious need of redevelopment because this right side of land between yellowhead trail and 129 ave have been empty for the last few years now.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

  51. #51

    Default

    So a bus garage is going to spur all the condos wished for the area by the city? Right against a freight line and sometimes down wind of the meat packing plant? Sounds fantastic. Where do I sign up?

  52. #52

    Default

    I lived off Ft Road and 129ave for 6 years. There is no smell from the meat plant and the train noise is negligible.

    Both of those are less obnoxious than your bad attitude and baseless opinions.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  53. #53
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton (belevedre)
    Posts
    6,485

    Default

    I still live in area of 129 ave and Fort road for 14 yrs now
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

  54. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I lived off Ft Road and 129ave for 6 years. There is no smell from the meat plant and the train noise is negligible.

    Both of those are less obnoxious than your bad attitude and baseless opinions.
    Ok smart guy, explain why (in your equally obnoxious/baseless/fruit-filled opinion) people are going to want to live in this area because omg, suddenly theres a ETS bus garage here.... Yes, people and developers have all been waiting for this magically ETS bus garage to appear before starting their developments.

    Or is it because the area has little to no appeal, and the ETS bus garage won't change that?

  55. #55
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton (belevedre)
    Posts
    6,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I lived off Ft Road and 129ave for 6 years. There is no smell from the meat plant and the train noise is negligible.

    Both of those are less obnoxious than your bad attitude and baseless opinions.
    Ok smart guy, explain why (in your equally obnoxious/baseless/fruit-filled opinion) people are going to want to live in this area because omg, suddenly theres a ETS bus garage here.... Yes, people and developers have all been waiting for this magically ETS bus garage to appear before starting their developments.

    Or is it because the area has little to no appeal, and the ETS bus garage won't change that?
    Medwards .... How do you feel if you live in the area where there is lots of empty land around you ? Do you want to see it that land being redevelopment ?
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

  56. #56

    Default

    Would love to see that land (re)developed. I have nothing against a bus garage going either.

    I do have problems with the claim(s) that the new bus garage is going to spur other developments in this area... and the claim that a freight line is quiet. I will concede that the meat packing plant no longer smells up the area... cause its no longer there.

  57. #57

    Default

    Coun. Tony Caterina hopes the project will spur other construction in the area, which the city has been working to revitalize for more than a decade.

    It has spent about $75 million on roads, buying and decontaminating former industrial land, building a railway barrier and other infrastructure.

    The expectation is the city will recoup this investment through land sales and a community revitalization levy on growing real estate values.

    Planners aim eventually to have 1,000 units spread across five plots of land south of 129th Avenue and Fort Road, adjacent to the Belvedere LRT station.

    They have renamed the area Station Pointe.

    But despite winning design awards, none of the proposed development has happened yet.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...416/story.html


    Yeah, right. As if any transit garage in this city has spurred on any benefits to the neighbourhood around it. Looks like the only investor in this massive boondoggle of land redevelopment by the City of Edmonton is...



    wait for it




    ...the City of Edmonton. More taxpayers money to support wasted tax payers money.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  58. #58
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    45,902

    Default

    ^exactly. I am far from convinced that it will have any/much direct positive impact to the area.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  59. #59

    Default

    Wanna live or work next to a building with hundreds of buses going in or out onto Fort Road where the narrow underpass beside it is notoriously backed up during rush hours?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  60. #60

    Default

    ^ and ^^ and ^^^

    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Both of those are less obnoxious than your bad attitude and baseless opinions.

  61. #61
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    City of Champions
    Posts
    7,337

    Default

    I can't see building a new bus barn will do much to spur Station Pointe development. As for traffic it will impact somewhat but with Yellowhead, Capilano and 66th Street nearby for the most part it will not be significant. The bus barns near Terwillegar seem to have little impact on traffic.

  62. #62
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,369

    Default

    Yeah, my office is two blocks from the one on 118 avenue and 156 street, and traffic wise it has minimal impact. Most of the buses are departing/arriving well before/after peak traffic periods, for obvious reasons.

  63. #63
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    5,547

    Default

    Unless my bearings are wrong, the garage will be where the big smoke stack now dominates. Won't that be on the wrong side of the tracks (so to speak) from Station Pointe?

    So, nothing against the location - it's a drab, empty field in an industrial area. In fact, kudos to ETS for honouring what the area once was.

    But spur development at Station Pointe? Someone's blowing smoke.
    ... gobsmacked

  64. #64

    Default

    At most I can see the possibility that some drivers and other ETS employees might want to move closer to the new garage. However, close is a relative term

  65. #65
    highlander
    Guest

    Default

    I'd like to see the corresponding article on the to-be-abandoned westwood garage.
    Made up quote:
    "ETS transit garage will be relocating from Westwood in 2017, and is expected to leave a swath of abandoned properties in it's wake. "this neighbourhood is full of ETS employees who live here to be close to the garage" said the community league presedent. "with those employees all moving to Balwin we can expect home prices to crash and properties to sit abandoned, at least until NAIT's new facility opens. But who knows when that will happen."
    Last edited by highlander; 08-12-2014 at 12:22 PM.

  66. #66
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    City of Champions
    Posts
    7,337

    Default

    Geez that guy is sounding like ETS is using a small nuclear bomb to tear down Westwood Garage. I think the LRT and student housing will rapidly infill any people that decide to move closer to the a new bus barn.

  67. #67
    highlander
    Guest

    Default

    ^um, I made that guy up as a counterpoint to the city's bizarre claims that a garage will make all the difference to a neighbourhood. I'll edit and make clear.

  68. #68

    Default

    Buses won't affect the road. It's only busy during rush hours, and the buses will be out on their routes.

    I'm not suggesting this will be a panacea for the stalled redevelopment by any means, however when you throw 700 jobs in ANY neighbourhood, things happen. Might be small, might be big, but it'll be something.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  69. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    At most I can see the possibility that some drivers and other ETS employees might want to move closer to the new garage. However, close is a relative term
    Yeah, they will move from St. Albert to Sherwood Park.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    however when you throw 700 jobs in ANY neighbourhood, things happen.

    Less business at Plaza Bowl but more sales at the Transit Hotel Liquor Store...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 08-12-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  70. #70
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton (belevedre)
    Posts
    6,485

    Default

    ^^^ I see quite a number of people going to Transit hotel liquor store all day all the time.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

  71. #71
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton (belevedre)
    Posts
    6,485

    Default

    there is no difference about having no development at station pointe because you see in Toronto there is lots of condo towers built quite close to Gardiner expressway. there are thousands of cars, buses and trucks is being passed by day and night. but for station pointe, CN train does not go through that much.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

  72. #72
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,237

    Default

    ^ you have a point there. Driving in from the airport in TO you notice how many peoples' apartments are literally 50 feet away facing the expressway.

    If people are willing to do that, They shouldn't have a problem with Station Pointe
    Parkdale

  73. #73
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    ^Every development has its price point. Because of its location, Station Pointe's price point is still too high. Prospective buyers must think they can get superior value in a better location at a comparable price.

    How else to explain the expenditure of tens of millions of taxpayer dollars to create amenities and yet no housing units are even on the horizon, let alone under construction?
    Last edited by East McCauley; 09-12-2014 at 11:50 AM.

  74. #74

    Default

    Lets see... Downtown Toronto near all the attractions in a skyscraper, versus a wood frame 4 storey building in a less desirable area of town minus all the attractions and amenities that downtown Toronto offers, plus a rail line that will be increasingly used over the coming years as pipelines stall but rail capacity increases.

    Gee... I can't see the difference at all.

  75. #75
    highlander
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    ^Every development has its price point. Because of its location, Station Pointe's price point is still too high. Prospective buyers must think they can get superior value in a better location at a comparable price.

    How else to explain the expenditure of tens of millions of taxpayer dollars to create amenities and yet no housing units are even on the horizon, let alone under construction?
    The thing is, very little of that money actually went to anything that could be called an amenity. Most of it went to buying out businesses and land, and widening a busy road, making it harder to cross and, at least in my eyes, significantly less attractive as a nearby resident. The sidewalks are fancy, and there are a few benches, but the sidewalks don't go anywhere and the benches sit facing 6+ lanes of traffic.

  76. #76
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,237

    Default

    ^^ not sure when the last time you were is Toronto, but great many of those apartment buildings built right on the expressway are a long ways from the downtown area
    Parkdale

  77. #77
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    ^Every development has its price point. Because of its location, Station Pointe's price point is still too high. Prospective buyers must think they can get superior value in a better location at a comparable price.

    How else to explain the expenditure of tens of millions of taxpayer dollars to create amenities and yet no housing units are even on the horizon, let alone under construction?
    The thing is, very little of that money actually went to anything that could be called an amenity. Most of it went to buying out businesses and land, and widening a busy road, making it harder to cross and, at least in my eyes, significantly less attractive as a nearby resident. The sidewalks are fancy, and there are a few benches, but the sidewalks don't go anywhere and the benches sit facing 6+ lanes of traffic.
    agreed... they messed up when they did the Fort Road re-design by making it so unfriendly
    Parkdale

  78. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    there is no difference about having no development at station pointe because you see in Toronto there is lots of condo towers built quite close to Gardiner expressway. there are thousands of cars, buses and trucks is being passed by day and night. but for station pointe, CN train does not go through that much.

    Mississauga train derailment...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Mi...ain_derailment

    Luckily the 200,000 residents lived far enough from the tracks.



    On Nov. 10, 1979, a 106-car Canadian Pacific Railway (CP) freight train carrying explosive and poisonous chemicals derailed in Mississauga, Ont., releasing massive amounts of explosive and poisonous chemicals, leading to evacuation of the entire city. (Bill Sandford/Toronto Sun files) http://www.torontosun.com/2014/11/09...y-improvements
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-12-2014 at 12:36 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  79. #79

    Default

    I was referring to the ones between BMO field and Rogers Center. on Lakeshore Blvd and Queens Quay area.... you know, right along the lake shore. But I guess that must be the same as living in NE Edmonton along fort road...

  80. #80
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,237

    Default

    ^ Yes, they have some nicely located ones.

    But they have some located in terrible locations. 50 feet from the Gardiner.. so close that your windows are perpetually covered in road grime and exhaust particles ?

    I'm not trying to argue that Fort Road is a great location, but people elsewhere seem to have no problem investing in property in less than ideal locations
    Parkdale

  81. #81

    Default

    ^I cannot understand why the people who bought homes along the TUC are even allowed to complain about the proposed new power transmission lines.

    In many cities, people live much closer to big power lines, airports and highways and they buy the property cheaper. Don't complain afterwards.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  82. #82

    Default

    One thing that needs to be remembered: right across Ft Road from Station Point, are dozens of condos, including some 8-12 stories tall. On the corner of 66st and Ft Road, a crappy strip mall was torn down and a new building is under construction. There IS demand in the area, it's just slow going.

    Those 700 jobs there can only increase the pace.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  83. #83
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    5,547

    Default

    Toronto - Fort Road - not anywhere near apples to apples.

    With real estate prices being what they are in the centre-of-the-known-universe many people will compromise just to avoid 90 minute commutes each way.

    Station Pointe is (was?) intended as a transit oriented development, with nearby Belvedere Station supposedly the plum.

    Nice idea maybe, but much better developed Clareview has much better services available within walking distance and is all of 3 or 4 minutes further by train.

    As a bonus at Clareview, you might actually get a seat during rush hour - sporting events.
    ... gobsmacked

  84. #84

    Default

    It is still surprising how much land lies undeveloped around Clareview Stn. To me that is even a poorly thought out TOD. It is surrounded by too many big box stores and not enough high density apts and condos. They should have moved the NE bound Manning drive 100 meters NW to allow more units. Why even think about extending to Gorman until they fill in Belvedere and Clareview?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  85. #85
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    5,547

    Default

    Likely Clareview could have been done better - but unfortunately the big box mall was there first and the TOD came as an after-thought.

    Still, if you've made a conscious decision to NOT own or drive a car, there's just about everything you need within walking distance.

    The only other places along LRT that's possible would be from Bay Station to Grandin and Southgate.

    Now, if the CoE could find some way to incent the mall owner to improve the pedestrian experience, even better. Just, sadly, not likely.
    ... gobsmacked

  86. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    I'm not trying to argue that Fort Road is a great location, but people elsewhere seem to have no problem investing in property in less than ideal locations
    Lets see,

    Toronto example
    + Lakeshore
    + BMO Field/ Rogers Center / Air Canada Center near by
    + Close to CBD and all the amenities available in central Toronto
    + Great Transit service at your doorstep
    -Road noise/train noise in a well built high rise with good sound proofing (might be an issue for the first 15 floors

    Edmonton example
    + Transit Liquor Store
    + Pawn shop
    + Bus Garage near by (this is the obvious selling feature)
    + famous wood frame 4 storey construction
    - train noise.


    Yup definitely great examples.

  87. #87
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,237

    Default

    ^ you're not getting it.

    Those condos sitting on the Gardiner are probably pretty cheap due to being in a less than ideal location

    The price point needs to be low at Fort Road for the same reason

    There are lots of better affordable locations in the city, so this one has stalled for the time being


    BTW, much of the construction at Fort Road was due to be concrete
    Last edited by 240GLT; 09-12-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    Parkdale

  88. #88

    Default

    ^ I grew up in Belvedere and lived in Toronto for nearly 4 years. Medwards gets it.


    Much of the cost for the Fort Road redevelopment was not planned. 2 kilometers of 42" storm pipe, a kilometer of retaining wall, rewiring the electrical grid, reduction in the plans from 1,600 units to 1,000
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-12-2014 at 04:12 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  89. #89
    highlander
    Guest

    Default

    At least on of the two proposals is still chugging along, from what I've seen. There should be a footings and foundations permit soon.

  90. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    ^ I grew up in Belvedere and lived in Toronto for nearly 4 years. Medwards gets it.


    Much of the cost for the Fort Road redevelopment was not planned. 2 kilometers of 42" storm pipe, a kilometer of retaining wall, rewiring the electrical grid, reduction in the plans from 1,600 units to 1,000
    I spent 3 years in Toronto. I'm with you & Matt.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  91. #91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    ^ you're not getting it.
    Au contraire mon... frere?

    Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    Those condos sitting on the Gardiner are probably pretty cheap due to being in a less than ideal location
    If by cheap you mean really really expensive, some of the highest $/sqft in this great nation of ours ... sure, probably. and if by "less than ideal location" you mean "location, location, location" ... sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    The price point needs to be low at Fort Road for the same reason
    What advantages/benefits are there to living on Fort Road? The transit hotel and liquor store? At least in Toronto, you have everything you could EVER want within immediate walking distance.

    Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    There are lots of better affordable locations in the city, so this one has stalled for the time being
    Well, you're certainly correct here, and no bus garage in the immediate vicinity will make this area anymore desirable. Those better affordable locations will take many decades to infill in before anyone really will start looking this way for condo life.

    Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    BTW, much of the construction at Fort Road was due to be concrete
    Right, but noise at 15 floors and more versus a max of 5-8 floors? You'll notice all/most of the those towers along gardiner have big podiums and non-residential things on the first many floors.

    Now if someone used a real comparable... like say Strathcona Junction.... near the CP railyard on the southside...
    Last edited by Medwards; 09-12-2014 at 04:28 PM.

  92. #92

    Default

    Gardiner Expressway condo Walkability score from MLS: 89.

    My condo in Oliver: 86

    Fort Road: 63

    (this is not meant to be scientific. but it's illustrative of the point being made.)
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  93. #93
    highlander
    Guest

    Default

    ^ That's way higher than I thought Fort road would be.
    *edit*: Just checked, the TOD itself is a 48, and that's counting "Lucky Lucky Food mart" As groceries, and stuff along 50st that you can't walk to without strolling down 131ave.

  94. #94

    Default

    Wow. I must have been staring at the wrong part of Fort Road.

    Thanks for the correction!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  95. #95
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton (belevedre)
    Posts
    6,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    there is no difference about having no development at station pointe because you see in Toronto there is lots of condo towers built quite close to Gardiner expressway. there are thousands of cars, buses and trucks is being passed by day and night. but for station pointe, CN train does not go through that much.

    Mississauga train derailment...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Mi...ain_derailment

    Luckily the 200,000 residents lived far enough from the tracks.



    On Nov. 10, 1979, a 106-car Canadian Pacific Railway (CP) freight train carrying explosive and poisonous chemicals derailed in Mississauga, Ont., releasing massive amounts of explosive and poisonous chemicals, leading to evacuation of the entire city. (Bill Sandford/Toronto Sun files) http://www.torontosun.com/2014/11/09...y-improvements
    yes I remember that one and my good friend lives nearby that accident and was forced out of Mississauga by the police because of it.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

  96. #96

    Default

    $1M Public art call released for Edmonton’s future Northeast Transit garage

    The city’s largest call for a single public art piece to-date went out Wednesday, with the total project at the Northeast Transit garage worth $1 million.

    It’s a new record for the city, with other public art pieces not coming close to the total for a singular piece of art.

    “Since this site has so much going on around it, is visible from great distances as well up close, the decision as made we’d go for a large piece for the most impact,” said Eva Marie Clarke, Edmonton Arts Council communications co-ordinator.
    http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/13...ransit-garage/

  97. #97

    Default

    This will be another Talus Dome: great piece, wrong location. This will be a light industrial yard with no pedestrian use. View of the art will be wasted by those driving by. Seriously CoE, put it where it will be seen and appreciated.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  98. #98
    highlander
    Guest

    Default

    I'd like to see the stack incorporated in the art. Imagine it were wrapped in big bright ribbons, being "climbed" by a fanciful beast, or with a stained glass lantern on the top, lit up at night to be seen by LRT Riders.

    Oh, and there should be access from the new and underused bike path along the tracks to get to the stack and whatever art appears. Otherwise we're spending $1m on a decoration for a place for bus drivers on split shifts to smoke and eat lunch.

  99. #99

    Default

    ^That bike path will never get used. It leads to nowhere. Most of the people in the area seen with bicycles are homeless people with stolen bicycles, and they camp out on 54 St by the bottle depot.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  100. #100
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I'd like to see the stack incorporated in the art. Imagine it were wrapped in big bright ribbons, being "climbed" by a fanciful beast, or with a stained glass lantern on the top, lit up at night to be seen by LRT Riders.

    Oh, and there should be access from the new and underused bike path along the tracks to get to the stack and whatever art appears. Otherwise we're spending $1m on a decoration for a place for bus drivers on split shifts to smoke and eat lunch.
    Disagree about the bike path. If they could properly connect a path from where it ends at the Coliseum, up along the tracks all the way to Clareview I think it would be hugely successful

    As for the art installation.. it needs to be HUGE. I'm thinking about the massive eagle statue on the border between Baja Notre and Baja Sur in Mexico.
    Parkdale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •