Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738
Results 3,701 to 3,765 of 3765

Thread: Stantec Tower | 250.8 m, 823', 69 floors | under construction

Quote Originally Posted by MetroEd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroEd View Post
    in days gone by they would have just stopped where they are. don't want it too high because we don't want an airplane or anything like that to fly into to it ! it will be odd though to see it start to rise above the modest heights we have downtown.
    It's gonna make a lot of our existing towers look like stumps.
    kinda like The Pearl does now in Oliver.
    Pearl emasculated every non-chateau structure between 109 St and Burnaby.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Pearl emasculated every non-chateau structure between 109 St and Burnaby.
    I know what you're trying to convey, but geographically the entire city of Edmonton sits east of Calgary ... unless that in itself was a jab at Calgary

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post

Pearl emasculated every occupied non-chateau structure between 109 St and Burnaby.
    I know what you're trying to convey, but geographically the entire city of Edmonton sits east of Calgary ... unless that in itself was a jab at Calgary
    Better?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Pearl emasculated every occupied non-chateau structure between 109 St and Burnaby.
    Better?
    Perfect!

C2E Long Term Contributor
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Savage

Technically, Calgary isn't between 109th Street and Burnaby, so the post is still correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Technically, Calgary isn't between 109th Street and Burnaby, so the post is still correct.
    I suppose it depends on how one looks at it. If we look at it longitudinally and within Canadian borders, B.ike is correct. If we look at it as a straight line, then it doesn't matter, but then there's not much competition. Considering I specifically left out Banff Springs and Lake Louise, I think it's safe to say I meant longitudinally. In any case, I took the opportunity to edit further shitposting at Calgary's expense.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Hwy 2 through Airdrie and Balzac is the fifth meridian as is Barlow Trail south of the airport. ( technically Meridian Rd which is like a service road on the east side of it) Up here the fifth meridian runs through Pigeon Lake and right through Mulhurst Bay and also 48th st through Stony Plain. Just to give a perspective. Calgary city centre must be about 50k west of Edmonton city centre
    Last edited by Drumbones; 18-09-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Back to Stantec. If the crews working on the Stantec Tower were in as much disarray as the posters on here it would never get build.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Lol. Perfect.

A photo of Stantec Tower in the Stantec thread.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Actually a really good shot. That big city feel to it.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I moved a series of unfortunate angry posts to the archive. Back to the topic please.
    Ow

Hey there! Long time follower - First time poster!

Anyone have any info on the "Unique lighting feature" of Stantec?

I hope it's an Eye of Sauron type of beacon that shines lights on all the projects around Edmonton that they were the lead engineer on.

I believe the N/S fins light up, not sure about the rest.
    www.decl.org

The newer renders of this one look quite nice. It will be a high quality product.

I hope it's an Eye of Sauron type of beacon that shines lights on all the projects around Edmonton that they were the lead engineer on.
    This would be cool lol.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I believe the N/S fins light up, not sure about the rest.
    Is this the same "Fins" installed on the COE tower?

Not really, no.
    www.decl.org

I was downtown yesterday to watch the Oil Kings vs. Rebels game. Honestly, in the 4 years I've lived in Edmonton, I can count on my fingers how many times I've been downtown. I just don't go unless there is an event going on or something like that. Speaking from that point of view alone, the path that I took (coming from the North Side), I got to see a lot of homeless downtown. I got to see a lot of panhandlers, unpaved parking lots and tents that the homeless have set up right along one of the downtown streets. It looked like something that you'd see in a Fallout game.

Some of you folks grew up in this city and have obviously seen all kinds of changes. I can just speak from an "occasional downtown visitor's" point of view and so I'm not gonna armchair quarterback the whole situation. I do hope however, something is done in the near future for the betterment of these people and for the betterment of our city.

Cheers and here's my picture of the JW Marriot from yesterday which does not belong in this thread.

Edit - Thank you IanO for correcting me

Last edited by Popaj; 25-09-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Good comments and there is a lot being done behind the scenes to address these issues.

FYI - That's the JW Marriott.
    www.decl.org

Stantec Tower

September 30, 2017 by Thomas Huizinga, on Flickr

url=https://flic.kr/p/YC6fjs][/url]September 30, 2017 by Thomas Huizinga, on Flickr

September 30, 2017 by Thomas Huizinga, on Flickr
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Feel free to tear me apart on this.

am i close?

I'll tear you apart if you don't keep that up. Thank You! Now, all we need is 102st centre to rise around 160ish m to balance that angle.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I'll tear you apart if you don't keep that up. Thank You! Now, all we need is 102st centre to rise around 160ish m to balance that angle.
    Lol.. Would love to see 102nd Street Centre as well. Stale proposal. At least we get forward to other developments like ICE District Phase 2, Healey Ford and Aldritt.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

Put Alldritt into that pic

Put Alldritt into that pic
    Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by S3RI3S View Post
    Feel free to tear me apart on this.

am i close?
    Looks pretty close to me

Starting to fall behind to marriot.

Nice! 27 by my count...?

First One is Always Free

They can resume building anytime now...............
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by cpnfantstk View Post
    They can resume building anytime now...............
    they may have done the last typical office floor... the transition floors will likely have their own one off forming and then they'll need to reset forms for the residential floors at which time they should be able to resume or exceed their previous pace.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Didn't we hear that a month ago. Maybe they've been talking to the Kelley Ramsay people and have decided this is tall enough for Edmonton. Better cap it off now. Lol

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Didn't we hear that a month ago. Maybe they've been talking to the Kelley Ramsay people and have decided this is tall enough for Edmonton. Better cap it off now. Lol
    maybe we did but even so what's involved doesn't happen in just a day or two. it's not just the flying forms for the floor slabs that will change, the forms for everything from the elevator shafts and stairwells will be different if not in plan but certainly for height as the floor to floor distance will be less for the residential floors than the office floors and column sizes are likely reduced. there may even be transfer beans needed at these floors if they're moving to a smaller structural grid in one or both directions for the residential floors above and there may be additional structure being built for shear transfer and lateral loads at this level.

Also an additional raft slab. I'm aware but just thought I'd throw in a smart remark.

C2E SME

Is there one more transition floor to go before the residences?
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Also an additional raft slab. I'm aware but just thought I'd throw in a smart remark.
    given that a raft slab is actually a large footing i don't think you're going to see one that high up...

They're going to be working on this floor for another 3.5-4 months until they move onward was what I had heard.

^False, they will be completing the sky slab in mid-late November and from that point on it will be a floor every 4-5 days
    There was lot of welding and steel installation to do and the actual pouring of the sky slab still needs to be done. From what i've heard though is that they're still slightly ahead of schedule.

Isn't that transfer slab about 6' thick? A lot of concrete, so there is a lot of rebar to tie, and it will take quite a bit of time to cure compared to a normal floor/ceiling slab.

Be good to see it progress faster once that part is done.

Yep it's 2m thick.

C2E Posting Power

Is the plan to have fins rising up the west-facing wall still apart of the plan?
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Expect the Sky slab to be finished by Dec, Then an amenities floor. Then the residential. Sometime around the End of Dec or Early January. I believe Stantec was to move in Oct or Nov.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
    ^False, they will be completing the sky slab in mid-late November and from that point on it will be a floor every 4-5 days
    There was lot of welding and steel installation to do and the actual pouring of the sky slab still needs to be done. From what i've heard though is that they're still slightly ahead of schedule.
    In a recent video I believe they reported the 4 month figure for the mid floor and transition on the columns. Unless my timing has gone awry, the 4 month figure could also be 2.5-3 months. Can't remember how long ago I saw the video.

Posted earlier somewhere , added for relevance.

you can see the thicker transition slab. Also it looks like they reduce the overall thickness in the columns going up , but they increase in number (More than likely as its easier to hide in walls?)

What is the point of the steel at the mid section???

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    They can make a rigid "bridge" to transfer the load from the top residential portion to the bottom commercial portion.

You can see a good example here;

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/tran...?cb=1459604767

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    given that a raft slab is actually a large footing i don't think you're going to see one that high up...
    Sky slab, Transfer slab, the slab

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Sky slab, Transfer slab, the slab
    Rogers Sky Slab

C2E Posting Power

^ presented to you by Molson: 'let's pour one!'

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    They can make a rigid "bridge" to transfer the load from the top residential portion to the bottom commercial portion.

Thanks for this. but my question now is why didn't they do this on the hotel next to it as its only a few floors shorter, i would think the soil conditions would be the same or does it have anything to do with the soil??

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post

Thanks for this. but my question now is why didn't they do this on the hotel next to it as its only a few floors shorter, i would think the soil conditions would be the same or does it have anything to do with the soil??
    No offsets in the column layout likely.

It's only required when there is a significant change to the column layout and the the actual building orientation. The Stantec Tower is significantly skinnier on the residential portion and there is more weight being loaded on the "front" of the tower rather than the rear, which also affects how the forces affect the tower with regards to the wind loading. The JW Mariott tower column layout and building orientation does not change drastically enough to require this large transition raft slab.

Thanks for the info.

The steel portion would probably enhance the sway factor as well in conjunction with all other engineered factors for transition.

One other thing. I just went by this sight an hour ago, and that podium really ties the CBD to the warehouse district nicely. It has a seamless connection whether that was planned or just accidental.

One other thing. I just went by this sight an hour ago, and that podium really ties the CBD to the warehouse district nicely. It has a seamless connection whether that was planned or just accidental.
    Flesh your thoughts out a little more for those of us that canít read your mind please.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Flesh your thoughts out a little more for those of us that canít read your mind please.
    The podium of Stantec looks like bricks. He's saying how its a nice connection between the zone which the tower is in (CBD) to the neighbouring Warehouse zone.

TY! The color is also a factor as well. Over to Marriott, they continued that theme with a gradual ease to the eye event hough it is all glass. If one drives by 104st north of the storage centre is when one will see how well it is incorporated. In that gap is a great view.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Flesh your thoughts out a little more for those of us that can’t read your mind please.
    I didnt have a problem understanding what he was talking about

TY! The color is also a factor as well. Over to Marriott, they continued that theme with a gradual ease to the eye event hough it is all glass. If one drives by 104st north of the storage centre is when one will see how well it is incorporated. In that gap is a great view.
    I am waiting for it all to be finished but it does look interesting. The north side of the hotel with the orange striped glass looks great. I always wonder about the missing sections. If they broke the glass on installation I suspect it would take some time to get the replacements because some of the glass sections may be custom designed.

I also think that the tiles tie into the warehouse district nicely and it softens up the area from all the aluminum and the grey tones from the arena cladding.

I did take a look at Winnipeg's True North Square development the other day and that development looks like it could have similar tiles as well.

It is crazy to me to think we are only a year off of commercial occupancy in Stantec. Time flies!!

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738