Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7475354555657
Results 5,601 to 5,675 of 5675

Thread: Stantec Tower | 250.8 m, 823', 69 floors | under construction

IMHO, it's cool. We built everything from Lego as kids and that was well before the very specialized sets they sell now.

Where can people get these custom kits?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    ... Sorry if you were expecting a reply from your normal circle-jerk
    Looks like someone has anger issues.

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Well I HATE you jerks and your remarks for starters. Most of my hate is at least justified. Your hate is for no reason whatsoever. I hate that. I hate arsholes like yourselves and everything you stand for. You are certified bonified jerk offs. Would hate to ever meet you guys in person for sure. Most people on here and those that have left agree, just don’t have the balls to say it. I speak for them. So kiss my big hairy arse you ugly pricks.
    You only speak for yourself, and Im so glad you could express yourself. If you have such a problem with me and/or my posts, just ignore them.
    Ill tell you one thing though, you dont know anything about me or what I stand for, even with your earlier attempts to publically doxx me, not like I hid behind a online nickname or anything.

Im not interested in kissing any part of you, but thanks for the genuine offer, Im flattered.
    Pretty easy for anyone here to deduce that you and Noodle are ******** in real life.

Thank goodness for the forum's heavy-handed censorship so we can only guess at what your likely-homophobic personal attack was, rather than have your bigotry in full view.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Thank goodness for the forum's heavy-handed censorship so we can only guess at what your likely-homophobic personal attack was, rather than have your bigotry in full view.

No anger here. Just sharing my personal opinion on a bland tower that lacks inspiration and is quite boring. The marriott is cool, I like the ice district and arena. Stantec? Outside of being the new tallest, its a big yawn from me, and the lego-like replica is even less interesting. 4 out of 10 on the cool scale,

in
    my
    opinion

others may have their own opinions and thats fine.

people have different values

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    but there was no editorial comment to this one - it was a photo of a lego-designed model of a building.[/qupte]

The post starts "how cool is this?", very much an editorial comment. Plus it's not a real Lego set, it's a cheap Chinese knockoff.

you can get them of the eiffel tower, the arc d' triomphe, the great wall of china, the u.s. capital building, new york office towers and the golden gate bridge...
    they apparently have software that is capable of designing/replicating any building you want in lego blocks.
    World famous landmarks get real genuine Lego sets. We get a cheap Chinese knockoff that people are trying to pass off as comparable to the real thing. Very Edmonton. I don't think Stantec, being a box on a box with some other boxes tacked around really required a huge amount of CAD. At least the whole "is the podium orange?" issue is well & truly put to rest here.

as far as i'm concerned, they're all "cool" and we're contemplating something similar for the brighton block.
    Hopefully you'll engage the appropriate people versus knockoffs. A classy project like Brighton deserves better than bootlegs.
    Not that you would know because you are basing your opinion on a photo. It is a real​ Lego set.

No anger here. Just sharing my personal opinion on a bland tower that lacks inspiration and is quite boring. The marriott is cool, I like the ice district and arena. Stantec? Outside of being the new tallest, its a big yawn from me, and the lego-like replica is even less interesting. 4 out of 10 on the cool scale,

in
    my
    opinion

others may have their own opinions and thats fine.

people have different values
    Before you go playing victim, it’s clear from your history on this forum that you don’t actually believe that. You’ve had an interesting fixation on Ian’s posts and on several occasions have pointed out that his online opinions are biased and subject to conflicts of interest; not to mention that anything he posts, you’re right there to ****-post on it - to the point where when you have something civil to say to him it comes as a pleasant surprise.

You’ve on multiple threads, shown an egotistical mindset and stated other posters are idiots for having their opinions, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen either you or noodle bring one bit of positivity to this forum. And without moderation or admins, it just goes on and on and pushes people off the forum. Including myself.

Oftentimes I agree with you on things, but I think people get a little sick of the bait and switch tactics where you guys claim to be being ganged up on, yet are fully allowed To go attack other posters. Like you’ve said: “be the change you wanna see on the forum.”

Iano posts a lot. Its pretty hard not to seem like Im attacking him when he is by far the most prolific poster here. Yes I quite often disagree with him. Now it seems you are trying to make Iano out as a victim... please.

i didnt realize that I can only share my opinion if its positive. This place isnt meant to be a cheerleading session. Im passionate about this city in different ways than you, and perhaps you should accept that

C2E Continued Contributor

Fun fact: both Matt & myself were part of the "cool kids" on C2E, but that changed when we started questioning & challenging the group think, especially when pointing out the biases & conflicts of interests Stevey_G mentioned.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

First One is Always Free

So I was driving home last night around 11pm heading west on the yellowhead and I saw the north fins light up and go through a few different colour's before they would shut off. I could only see the tower for a couple of seconds before it was out of view but it must have happened at least 2-3 times going on and then off. Maybe they are going to run the lights after all?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Maybe...

On the other topic that has unfortunately reared its head...

I saw the LEGO model. I have been a sarcastic critic of LEGO-style architecture as it is rather lazy IMO. However, given the building, the LEGO model works, and I would actually like to find/buy one.

While I don't bow to the altar of phallic, glass encrusted towers = progress, there is no denying the symbolism of this tower outside the jokes. There was a time where this tower was, from a regulatory position, near improbable to build. That was a mere 6 years ago.

I also don't subscribe to the teachings of Petula Clark as there can and should be life outside your downtown. However, it is undeniable that a healthy downtown is a symbol to the world that you have an economy, and hence opportunity. I bring people here from all over the world, and a common exclamation is, "Oh, so you DO have a skyline!" Now, that doesn't occur as often as this tower is seen for some time away - from Highway 19 all the way into town.

As for the back and forth insults...just stop. I get the angst, I get the frustration, but the point here is the building and its architecture. Even further, it is the symbolism.

The LEGO crowd has its building. It happens to also be the building that is bit of a game-changer. You got your twofer. Celebrate. Should we be blessed with more economic opportunity that begets more economic prosperity, I hope the manifestation architecturally is not another LEGO CITY.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

How about Meccano City.

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by csa1982 View Post
    So I was driving home last night around 11pm heading west on the yellowhead and I saw the north fins light up and go through a few different colour's before they would shut off. I could only see the tower for a couple of seconds before it was out of view but it must have happened at least 2-3 times going on and then off. Maybe they are going to run the lights after all?
    Fingers crossed. I remember seeing them testing them a while ago and can’t wait till they’re on permanently.

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

Nice knee-jerk response. Didn't realize a three letter word preceding holes was homophobic.

No lie here - the 6 month break you took from here was a refreshing change in rhetoric. Good things don't last forever I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    Nice knee-jerk response. Didn't realize a three letter word preceding holes was homophobic.

No lie here - the 6 month break you took from here was a refreshing change in rhetoric. Good things don't last forever I guess.
    Perhaps you need a break yourself? Your posts are all personal attacks and very toxic.

The ignore button still exists, still works.

Trying to get me to change how I express myself & my sincerely held beliefs through snippy forum posts, puerile schoolyard level insults & toothless mockery does not work, nor will it ever.

Best way to get me to take another break? Stop giving me so much material to work with & I'll get bored, wander off somewhere else for my amusement. But given that most of the posters have turned into caricatures of their former selves to hilarious results I don't see that too likely. You all can't help yourselves.

My thoughts exactly.....he shrouds himself underneath this passive-aggressive-holy-than-thou blanket....it's actually quite painful to read his crap....oh well - makes for interesting reading.....

I just thought of it - he is an exact clone of the user "WhipperSnapper" on the SSP forum!!!!!!! Maybe it's the same guy?? lol

C2E SME

So anyways, How is fit up coming along in the tower? Any other businesses open or ready to open in the podium? Wasn't Starbucks slated to open in the podium?

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    I just thought of it - he is an exact clone of the user "WhipperSnapper" on the SSP forum!!!!!!! Maybe it's the same guy?? lol
    That's not me. I'm sure at least one of the cross-posting circlejerkers can confirm that I haven't posted on SSP in years.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ What's cute is that WhipperSnapper is a very knowledgeable individual with much more experience and expertise in construction and development than pretty much anyone who posts here, His comments are on the mark and his criticisms are 100% valid. The Edmontonians who post here are just hyper defensive and have very thin skin.

"Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right" - Ricky Jervais

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    that's actually a pretty sweet thing. they should sell a few of these

Apparently, if you want the plaza expansion set, it costs and extra $10 million

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    While I don't bow to the altar of phallic, glass encrusted towers = progress, there is no denying the symbolism of this tower outside the jokes. There was a time where this tower was, from a regulatory position, near improbable to build. That was a mere 6 years ago.

emphasis added.

for additional emphasis, this photo was taken five years ago to the day from your post yesterday:

"If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Trying to get me to change how I express myself & my sincerely held beliefs through snippy forum posts, puerile schoolyard level insults & toothless mockery does not work, nor will it ever.
    Which is ironic given this is 75-80% of what you post, and probably why everyone is tired of reading it. But yes, keep telling everyone to click the ignore button.
    Edmonton is a very exciting place to be right now.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by finishstrong View Post
    Which is ironic given this is 75-80% of what you post, and probably why everyone is tired of reading it. But yes, keep telling everyone to click the ignore button.
    everyone else - including you - has access to that ignore button if it's an issue for them don't they? why the insistence on someone else converting instead of using it if it upsets you so?

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Apparently, if you want the plaza expansion set, it costs and extra $10 million
    Lol, just couldn't resist could you?

everyone else - including you - has access to that ignore button if it's an issue for them don't they? why the insistence on someone else converting instead of using it if it upsets you so?
    Doesn’t upset me at all Ken, merely making an observation. When a good portion of someone’s contributions to a forum space are negative, yet according to them it’s everyone else’s fault that they are, maybe it’s time to take a introspective look at how one conducts themselves and stop blaming others.

Now I don’t post here very much, obviously with the 300 odd posts I’ve amassed in the last 11 years, but I do read a lot. I enjoy everyone’s opinion but there comes a point where the ridiculous takes hold and that epitomizes this forum recently with the axes that certain users have to grind with one another, and I’m not just speaking of the obvious three.

Quote Originally Posted by finishstrong View Post
    Doesn’t upset me at all Ken, merely making an observation. When a good portion of someone’s contributions to a forum space are negative, yet according to them it’s everyone else’s fault that they are, maybe it’s time to take a introspective look at how one conducts themselves and stop blaming others.
    This is hilarious from someone who’s own post history is chock full of negative reactions to other people’s posts.

My griping about posts? Terrible!
    Your griping about posts? Sage advice!

Be the change you want to see in the world & stop trying to provoke people you disagree with. Should be no problem for someone who’s so inherently better than me that they can justify their hypocrisy so blatantly.

Just think of how much effort could be saved!

All of this over a photo of a lego set. OMFG people, get a life.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

C2E SME

^oh well, some just want to complain to complain. I think the set is cool and it would be neat to have one of the sets although I think it would be more interesting to have a Rogers Place set as it is much more unique in its design than the Stantec Tower.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Well I HATE you jerks and your remarks for starters. Most of my hate is at least justified. Your hate is for no reason whatsoever. I hate that. I hate arsholes like yourselves and everything you stand for. You are certified bonified jerk offs. Would hate to ever meet you guys in person for sure. Most people on here and those that have left agree, just don’t have the balls to say it. I speak for them. So kiss my big hairy arse you ugly pricks.
    live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

Buildthemhigh, he was talking about you specifically...

Lol

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

Lol
    way to go! great example of how to calm the flame wars and bring some civility back.

not that his cheerleading post for the other side was much better.
    Last edited by kcantor; 14-07-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Lol
    way to go! great example of how to calm the flame wars and bring some civility back.

4 out of 10 on the calming the flame war scale

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    (...). I think the set is cool and it would be neat to have one of the sets although I think it would be more interesting to have a Rogers Place set as it is much more unique in its design than the Stantec Tower.
    I'd wonder how they would prevent it from looking like Minecraft...or to date me...any Atari 2600 title....

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Lol

4 out of 10 on the calming the flame war scale
    are you saying i need to work harder to earn a passing grade in flaming master?
    Last edited by kcantor; 15-07-2019 at 08:36 AM.

This is hilarious from someone who’s own post history is chock full of negative reactions to other people’s posts.

My griping about posts? Terrible!
    Your griping about posts? Sage advice!

Be the change you want to see in the world & stop trying to provoke people you disagree with. Should be no problem for someone who’s so inherently better than me that they can justify their hypocrisy so blatantly.

Just think of how much effort could be saved!
    If you want to cherry pick "negative responses" from my 300-odd post count over the last 11 years, go right ahead, I figured you would anyway to try and bolster your argument.

Still doesn't change the fact that what I'm saying is true, and it really doesn't take much for you to step up on that soap box and pontificate.
    Last edited by finishstrong; 15-07-2019 at 08:37 AM.
    Edmonton is a very exciting place to be right now.

So how about that Stantec Tower?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

^^ I've engaged in that introspection you've so kindly recommended & I looked deep down & decided that negative reactions from people I feel negatively about is a net positive & as such I should feel quite okay about the vast majority of C2E posters being inordinately upset by the things I say & how I say them. I stand by my opinions & sincerely held beliefs.

Thanks for the advice, I feel much better!

Kindly take the bickering to private messages please.

Let’s try and get this thread out of the vitriol and back on topic.

Here's a much needed distraction, oh wait this thread is about the Stantec tower? My photo's from the last few days

Its rarely photographed back side,

A 102nd St finally starting to come together

Kind of an underwhelming entrance from 103ave

Nice series of photos tonight across the threads.

In hindsight I kinda wish they’d added a splash of colour and done some funky design on the elevator shaft. I saw that in Yaletown a couple months back and it was pretty cool.

Can’t wait to see the lighting.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?cl...4&jwsource=rdt

Pretty cool video segment on the Lego Stantec and the employee who created it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Nice series of photos tonight across the threads.
    +1. Thanks Kreation!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Apparently there are about half a doz kits going out to various people.

Leggo is cool for all ages but these days, I'd rather play game leggo then building it.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Stantec looked pretty cool in this photo of the crazy storm we had last night. Taken by the user strummit on Reddit.

I will beat the dead horse back to life.

C2E Long Term Contributor
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Patio overlooking 103ave,

Any idea when they will finish their Food Hall? I've seen signs indicating that this is forthcoming on the 2nd floor.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Any idea when they will finish their Food Hall? I've seen signs indicating that this is forthcoming on the 2nd floor.
    I believe it is ongoing , have an ex co-worker on that one and he is busy with it.

I have not seen any Exhaust fans or Make up air lifted yet so it will be a while.

There's a couple of ground floor spaces south of the Rexall pharmacy that are begging for retailers.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

What happened to Starbucks?

I feel like they may be waiting to get back into the lobby of the re-vamped HSBC Place. It was a great location for a Starbucks and will now have room for an outdoor space along 101 Street.
    ICE District can barely keep the one in the Grand Villa alive. Perhaps they want to remain where they know it works.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamEDM View Post
    I feel like they may be waiting to get back into the lobby of the re-vamped HSBC Place. It was a great location for a Starbucks and will now have room for an outdoor space along 101 Street.
    ICE District can barely keep the one in the Grand Villa alive. Perhaps they want to remain where they know it works.
    I hear what your saying but the difference between the Grand Villa Starbucks and the potential Stantec one is that Grand Villa caters to casino guests and a few passers by, where as Stantec would cater to Stantec Tower, Marriott Tower, and some that would be passing by too.

Someone told me Stantec sold today. Anyone know about this? Or is it total BS?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I know the Stantec bldg and JW Marriott were for sale for around a billion dollars according to the Globe and Mail. I hope it’s true, it would put a smile on the face of DK and free up a TON of cash for more projects.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 19-09-2019 at 02:16 PM.

^^I think I heard something like that as well.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I know the Stantec bldg and JW Marriott were for sale. I hope it’s true it would put a smile on the face of DK and free up a TON of cash for more projects.
    Keep in mind that a large portion of whatever it sold for will be paying down debt financing, not necessarily straight in to OEG's pockets.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yes of course but I’m sure a very tidy profit and more financing available to keep the ball rolling

Quote Originally Posted by nickv View Post
    Was in the works...
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

Well if the the buildings have sold then maybe we might see some movement on tower B? It would be so nice to see some conclusions to construction in this area.

Tower B is not delayed due to financing. It's delayed due to a lack of commercial tenants (theatres, etc) and weakness in the housing market.

C2E SME

^So even if Stantec is sold, we probably wont see any reinvestment into new structures anytime soon?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nickv View Post
    Was in the works...
    Who’s the interested party?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Maybe the new owner will lower the prices on those crazy high condos they can’t move. I think rentals would go good now though. Tower B should be moderately priced rentals, university students would rent a lot I would think. Only trouble is it’s in downtown Edmonton and you know who would end up as renters. Could end up as the worlds largest crack house. Lol
    Last edited by Drumbones; 20-09-2019 at 09:15 AM.

C2E SME

^So even if Stantec is sold, we probably wont see any reinvestment into new structures anytime soon?
    I'm sure one impacts the other to an extent, but it's not as simple as "hey we sold Stantec, pull the trigger on BG regardless of market conditions." When you're talking about 9 figure investments, things are complicated and there's a lot of moving parts. There's also the wee matter of how many unsold condos there are above Stantec. I'd also be curious to know how many places in Legends are up for re-sale.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Exactly. For towers, building on speculation is not a thing in Edmonton. Never has been, never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones
    Yes of course but I’m sure a very tidy profit and more financing available to keep the ball rolling
    Regardless of the profit margin, or the liquidity position of the company, there will be this small matter of answering this question....

With the profit, do I re-invest in this current market, or expand my horizons and invest in another market which may have greater returns?

I'm going to go out on a limb here...but the answer is to invest in another market in this current climate. Edmonton is saturated.

Reinvesting his profits locally would be the first real risky move he'd take Downtown.

Default Not All Sold Yet

[QUOTE=Marcel Petrin;945589]
    ^I'd also be curious to know how many places in Legends are up for re-sale.
    Received an email on Sep 13, 2019 that there are still a "few remaining suites in the Legends Private Residences" available. Haven't seen any listed for resale.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Maybe the new owner will lower the prices on those crazy high condos they can’t move. I think rentals would go good now though. Tower B should be moderately priced rentals, university students would rent a lot I would think. Only trouble is it’s in downtown Edmonton and you know who would end up as renters. Could end up as the worlds largest crack house. Lol
    i believe the sale would be for the office components of the building only, not the condo's on top. i'm not sure how they chose to treat the u/g parking structure and whether all or a portion of it would have been sold as well or whether the sale would have included rights to use (rent) going forward but not ownership.

I'd rather C2E than work!

" sale would have included rights to use (rent) going forward but not ownership"

Interesting choice of words. Sounds to me "like" a lease ... or perhaps "fractional ownership" pertaining to use of defined space much like a "time share" unless its a an indefinite fractional ownership which I can't imagine a private corporation would want ... but maybe a public one like Stantec might like. Or an investment management entity like AIMCO. But an AIMCO would have to have a guaranteed tenant to make that investment decision (imo) ... and who better than the principal tenant to make that work?

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7475354555657