Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 404647484950
Results 4,901 to 4,987 of 4987

Thread: Stantec Tower | 250.8 m, 823', 69 floors | under construction

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    That you Ken for the explanation. I am of the same opinion and disgusted that he feels the city owes him public bathrooms. Hopefully your explanation helps other people understand.
    You think I said the city owes me public bathrooms?

C2E SME

Does Churchill Square need washrooms too? I think there are plenty nearby.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Does Churchill Square need washrooms too? I think there are plenty nearby.
    And it has public bathrooms too.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    The only thing is, don't complain about the garden not made to the public after if it is completely meant for private. There are easy solution to determine who works there, who visits there, and who has been given permission to enter there. Put a gate around the complex nd done..
    it doesn't really work like that either...

it is quite common for amenity spaces and for spaces to be open to the public to be part of the development permit for a private project. those spaces need to, within reason, remain as open and accessible to the public as if they were publicly owned.

looking at it the other way, if the owner elects not to appropriately manage the public spaces they commit to complete, then maybe the entire block should be completed and turned over to the city to manage and run. and to charge rent and event fees, just as they do for sir winston churchill square etc. the city could then probably even set up a beer garden and charge admission to watch screens showing hockey games if they wanted - i don't recall any non-compete clauses that would preclude those sorts of things...
    That statement was more sarcasm. However, you hinted at a great concept to which I have alluded to in the past. This area has potential to really generate untraditional revenues for charity that people don't look at. We give him the 10 million, and, in return, we want to use that space to generate that money back to us. I've alluded in the past of staging seating for important hockey games where revenues could be generated for charities. Why don't we test the water and attempt that with many regular games - weather permitting. Food and beverage could be applied the same as the hockey game, but the profit of which it generates is given to us in return in proportion of the agreement. That exploration could expand outside of hockey with all events. Who's says we just give money out? Do what business men do best, and it is high time our councils start 💪 their brains a little. A 10 million give away could generate 100 million in return. We could use that to offset so many agencies that come out of the city's coffer. I rather not chose to be a victom rather a participant in bennifits. Our councils chose to be leaders, it is time they show me what their true element of leadership is.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

I'd like to see your actual numbers as to your reasoning that giving an additional $10 million to a private development will somehow generate 100 million because of public washrooms. Or are you just making up numbers out of thin air?

It's a private development. Let the owners pay for the amenities for their private development. Or should WEM have the city pay for their washrooms as well?

It should have been stated "potential". What is your solution aside from your oppressive anti everything and your childest tit-for-tat oppresive reasoning (s)? For the sake of arguments, let say hosting a seating events outdoor for games or concerts cost 5.00/person at 2000 in attendance on the average. That'll be 10k generated per game × 40+ games = 400k/year. Add in all the dates for other events that this cocept can configurate into. Add in rentals for events. Add in all the food and refreshment sales, and, over the time, you garnered that money back and some. Stop thinking you get "F"up royally every time, and start thinking how or how much we could gain out of that. That means you and everyone else. Stop waiting for the certain few to wipe your ***, for if you do, that is when you are "F" royally is my point. Another word, step up and be part of the community rather than waiting for bennifits courtesy of other's involvement. A simple innuendo and you can't figure it out, and , instead, you always want to play the victom or attempt to be right in an argument by pulling thin air out of some place around the equater. An exchange is for the enhancement or oppression; you consistently choose oppression.

And why do you believe that the owners of the plaza will simply turn over your projected $400,000/year for a $10 million investment? Wouldn't it be better for them to get the city to pay $10,000,000 and then keep the $400,000/year for themselves? Because that's what they're asking for.

And you wouldn't net $400,000. You need someone to set up and take down the chairs, etc. You need ticket takers. You need someone to clean up afterwards. And the food and refreshments are supposed to be provided by the people that paid to be in the podiums, so you'd be taking revenue from them. And that's not even getting into licencing fees. The Oilers have certain rights to the games, rights that they will not simply hand over to the city.

It's much more complex than you're making out.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I think this ask should be on the ballot for the next election - and if it’s not and City Councillors approve the gift to Katz then the biggest election issue will be to dump any Councillor that voted for it - assuming those Councillors are stupid enough to run.

Did you not get the negotiating tactic I just expounded? There is his way off making that 10 million or he can have our 10 million in exchange... so do you get it? Does everything have to be in ABC writing for you to fathom the idea. Hello!

Im starting to like JW more than stantec. The whole two highrises stacked on top of eachother gives off an awkward look at certain angles. JW has a continuous flow to it through the whole structure.
    Last edited by S3RI3S; 29-09-2018 at 11:21 PM.

I understand your reasoning, and I agee. This is the reason why I consistently state the importance of balance in a structure -currently with Emerald as the culprit. They design top notch in terms of applications to make it as smooth as possible, The problem is not the design itself, but it has to do with two different ceiling heights which caused that. It was not gradual, and it was not fluid in that particuliar regards. I gave that tremendous grace because the height was a huge factor for our city. I would imagine if the fiins have lighting affects, it should drown out that obvious difference at night. Hopefully, once tower B come along, it will distract that component.

^^ I like JW more than Stantec too but the angle in your second pic shows off the JW as looking more “two stacked buildings” than Stantec. I’m nitpicking though, lol.

Both buildings do have that stacked characteristic but from different angles. I think JW deals with it better because the wider Stantec portion makes it look quite awkward from the East. while JW is the same width top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
    ^^ I like JW more than Stantec too but the angle in your second pic shows off the JW as looking more “two stacked buildings” than Stantec. I’m nitpicking though, lol.

Both buildings do have that stacked characteristic but from different angles. I think JW deals with it better because the wider Stantec portion makes it look quite awkward from the East. while JW is the same width top to bottom.

awkward from the east for sure.

By me on Monday, October 1, 2018

C2E Long Term Contributor
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by S3RI3S View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameson View Post

awkward from the east for sure.
    A bit ackward. I was under the impression from early on that it was a smooth rectangular shape.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^ are some people looking at the HSBC building in this pic and thinking it's part of Stantec ?

I'm referring to the elevator shafts which I though would have been flushed to the tower. That would have turned out nicer with end suites potentially larger for options. Once it is all finished, It'll improve considerably though.

I think once the LED strips on the sides flip on nd it's done people are really going to be blown away. It's there in the renders but most have forgotten about it. Will light up the entire skyline

Quote Originally Posted by jm47 View Post
    I think once the LED strips on the sides flip on nd it's done people are really going to be blown away. It's there in the renders but most have forgotten about it. Will light up the entire skyline
    Indeed this will be rad.

Are those lights on all sides?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Indeed this will be rad.
    "Rad". Are the kids saying that again, or are you showing your age Chris?

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Indeed this will be rad.
    "Rad". Are the kids saying that again, or are you showing your age Chris?
    Gangsta as f.

^you have no idea...

---

Stantec is such a beast!

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1048023187970121728
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Are those lights on all sides?
    From the very early animated isometric render, it showed the lights for north and south elevation.

I hope they have a way to efficiently change the burnt lights when they burn out. I don't want to see the building lit up with gaps all over.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E SME

Inside Stantec:

www.decl.org

DSC00012
    by b/c, on Flickr

Ginormous! Remember when the Icon's were tall?
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^we need to retake that pic in a few years when all these projects are complete. Cause that’s a beautiful vantage point. Nice one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post

DSC00012
    by b/c, on Flickr
    focal length??

C2E Continued Contributor

The Icons and Foxes fit right in with the 70s commie blocks in Oliver.

I was able to see the Stantec Tower from the QE2/41 Ave SW interchange, and is likely viewable from further back.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Wow you were able to get out that far. You’re really getting around these days. lol
    Last edited by Drumbones; 08-10-2018 at 09:40 PM.

I swear I've seen it at the airport road over the QEII

That said, we need a picture with the crane at this height from the airport area for the archives. We could see taller towers built here but you never know. Anyone in the area next time, please take a snap if you can. If Aldritt is a true go, that is our next chance of a similiar height ( top of crane), but I can't see more of this type of height in the short future.

That said, we need a picture with the crane at this height from the airport area for the archives. We could see taller towers built here but you never know. Anyone in the area next time, please take a snap if you can. If Aldritt is a true go, that is our next chance of a similiar height ( top of crane), but I can't see more of this type of height in the short future.
    If the critics are alright with an Iphone camera, I can do it tomorrow if my flight gets in on time.

Beggars need not be choosers... please! I'm OK with regular Edmontonian's perspective on what they see. A phone camera is their perspective as far as I'm concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I was able to see the Stantec Tower from the QE2/41 Ave SW interchange, and is likely viewable from further back.
    Huh? You can see the entire skyline from there.

DSC00012
    by b/c, on Flickr
    focal length??
    210mm...equiv 315mm full frame i believe.

DSC00012
    by b/c, on Flickr
    focal length??
    210mm...equiv 315mm full frame i believe.
    Your picture made me buy a 75-300mm , thanks lol.

I'll be happy to see the crane gone from this tower soon.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

At the Stantec Tower we had sensors measure the humidity of the suites so that we could install millwork when humidity levels were optimal. It takes some of the human element out of conducting frequent manual checks for optimal conditions before work can begin. We’re also saving energy by monitoring the heat and humidity of each of the suites to keep them at optimal temperatures.
    https://canada.constructconnect.com/...-cities-future

www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    You already posted this pic.

I take it you've never met IanO.

I'll be moving in to the tower this weekend - I'm not sure what I could possibly add for exterior photos that hasn't already been posted but if anyone is curious about specifics of the interiors or finishings, I'll try to snap some shots where possible

www.decl.org

I just noticed two steel columns have been erected which now appears to be about a storey taller. This may well be the final height.
    Last edited by RicoLance21; 11-10-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Which beams and where on top? Are they above the beam forms with the diagnal braces?

Which beams and where on top? Are they above the beam forms with the diagnal braces?
    The two slim columns on the building's south end -- not on the thicker beams. They seem to be about a storey taller than the thicker beam forms w/ diagonal braces.
    Last edited by RicoLance21; 11-10-2018 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RicoLance21 View Post
    The two slim columns on the building's south end -- not on the thicker beams. They seem to be about a storey taller than the thicker beam forms w/ diagonal braces.
    Yea I think you're correct. There should be one "level" of structural steel above the last concrete core that was poured. This is likely that.

Heading for a tour today
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

I was absolutely astounded by the size and scale of this thing.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

That one pic looks like it’s taken out of the back of a Hercules aircraft or something. Geez that’s high up.

Twas...unreal.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Definitely Cloud 9!

Last set from my Stantec Tower tour.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1051149041927479296
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Thanks for the photos Ian. Did they mention on the tour if the tower is at the full 251m now?

Steel was still going up on the 68-69th.
    www.decl.org

Apologies for the tilt correction, still getting used to a zoom lens!

Last edited by S3RI3S; 13-10-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Apologies for the tilt correction, still getting used to a zoom lens!
    Not acceptable!!

I think Stantec is just tilting under its own weight

I very much like Marriott, only wish Stantec wasn't so basic as intended, no I'm not complaining now!!

www.decl.org

from far east!

www.decl.org

Had me fooled for a second.

www.decl.org

Hearing that 14 floors got hit by some major water damage... not sure if its Stantec or JW tho!

Also, the LEDs might not get installed on the exterior due to costs, it's going back up for review next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisisnotmyuseridlol View Post
    Hearing that 14 floors got hit by some major water damage... not sure if its Stantec or JW tho!

Also, the LEDs might not get installed on the exterior due to costs, it's going back up for review next year.
    LEDS are already installed. Its believed its the same fins used on the side of the Edmonton tower.

edit. plus there was a picture somewhere of the fins being tested (at ground level) with the color red a few pages ago.
    Friendly neighborhood (non-double poster) photographer.

Well it wasn't Stantec, I've been on floor 9 since last week and I know floors 10-14 are fine too. Unless it was the sky residences in the residential above.

The water damage occurred at the Marriot.

LEDS are already installed. Its believed its the same fins used on the side of the Edmonton tower.

edit. plus there was a picture somewhere of the fins being tested (at ground level) with the color red a few pages ago.
    Perhaps there's another section of LEDs (near the top similar to COE Tower)

C2E SME

Yes, the water damage was in the Marriott. Apparently a 2" heating line blew. That's going to be expensive, as most of the drywall, flooring etc was in.

Wow, 14 floors of water damage. That's brutal.

C2E SME

At least it was caught before the hotel opened.

Curious: How could a 2" water line burst affect 14 floors before it was noticed and shut off?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Curious: How could a 2" water line burst affect 14 floors before it was noticed and shut off?
    because water flows downhill really fast?

more seriously, (a) a 2” line under pressure is letting out an awful lot of water, (b) it will quickly find its way to stairwells and elevator shafts and other vertical penetrations, particularly if all of the fireproofing hasn’t been installed yet or plumbing connected to cores etc. and (c) from every landing or lower floor it flow sideways as well as down and be wicked for considerable distances by carpets and drywall and ceilings etc.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

But... 14 floors and nothing downstream noticed the pressure drop? Nothing upstream noticed a back-pressure drop? It was a heating-water line - the zone controller didn't notice?

I'm used to working with multi-thousand lbm/hr flow rates and multi-hundred psia pressures and back-pressures of various sorts, but hydraulics is hydraulics.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

In a heating loop there won't be valves there just for emergencies like you have in a process system. A drop in system pressure should have an operator alarm but the only thing to do is shut down the pumps.

Any water above the breach will find it's way out
    There can only be one.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    It would have been noticed immediately, but it would likely have taken a few minutes to get it shut off. A line that large would be spewing out hundreds of gallons a minute under pressure. It doesn't take much time for that to be a major flood.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II
    In a heating loop there won't be valves there just for emergencies like you have in a process system. A drop in system pressure should have an operator alarm but the only thing to do is shut down the pumps.

Well explained. Hydronic heating systems don't have a whole lot of automated isolation in them in the event of a leak. Even if it was a smaller line controlled by a zone valve, the zone valve closing only stops flow from either of the supply or return, not both, so you'll still have a flood with a closed zone valve. And given the 2" size it's unlikely that it was serving a single zone and would have had a zone valve on it. The nearest isolation valve for that branch or main may well have been hundreds of feet from the blowout location, vertically and/or horizontally.

Perhaps there's another section of LEDs (near the top similar to COE Tower)

DSC00012
    by b/c, on Flickr

as seen above , fins are installed all the way up.
    Friendly neighborhood (non-double poster) photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II

Well explained. Hydronic heating systems don't have a whole lot of automated isolation in them in the event of a leak. Even if it was a smaller line controlled by a zone valve, the zone valve closing only stops flow from either of the supply or return, not both, so you'll still have a flood with a closed zone valve. And given the 2" size it's unlikely that it was serving a single zone and would have had a zone valve on it. The nearest isolation valve for that branch or main may well have been hundreds of feet from the blowout location, vertically and/or horizontally.
    I don't speak "pipe" but I'm sure all of that makes a lot of sense.

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 404647484950