Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Stantec Tower | 250.8 m, 823', 69 floors | under construction

C2E Long Term Contributor

I will bet EDACC kitty corner to new COE.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^ I would agree.. although a new tower on Jasper Ave would be REALLY nice.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Not in the consideration, but yes... with all this push North, it would be very nice to see say Melcor's tower go ahead or something on Jasper and 107st.
    www.decl.org

Jasper needs some devlo lov'n!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

The biggest impact any building would have on skyline and Jasper Ave would be 102nd Street Center, or as I like to call it Enbridge Center

A street level addition to the Shaw in tower form please.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by millwoods View Post
    The biggest impact any building would have on skyline and Jasper Ave would be 102nd Street Center, or as I like to call it Enbridge Center
    EDACC Tower B would actually also have a similar, if not bigger, impact. Look at how it dwarfs Epcor in that rendering.
    Don't feed the trolls!

I'm pretty sure the "rendering" you are referring to was/is nothing more then a placeholder....You definitely shouldn't be assuming height/sqft off of that

Hearing 185m and 43 storeys if EDACC... although there are 2 options there, other are 2 shorter towers.
    www.decl.org

185m? Yes please.

Why would they consider two shorter towers?

OMG 185m!!!! Yes yes yes!!! Keep all employees in one building! An elevator trip is simple versus leaving one building for another

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Hearing 185m and 43 storeys if EDACC... although there are 2 options there, other are 2 shorter towers.
    I am hearing 2 shorter as well. One option that is off the table for now is a new tallest.

Should be some mention tomorrow or Thursday. Stantec is hosting their AGM this week. would be surprised if it wasn't mentioned.

For sure at an AGM... 1 tower please!
    www.decl.org

Hopefully it's more than 200m

Nope, 185 if one, much shorter if the two tower option.
    www.decl.org

Two tower option sounds lame.

I'll take anything if it gets us EDACC.

EDACC will make a better downtown on ground level for everyone.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Continued Contributor

I think it will be the two tower option as it appears the center tower is a support structure for the glass roof over the square. Perhaps they could turn the center tower into a taller tower to eliminate the need for two towers and in the site of the proposed second short tower build either apartments or condos.

The AGM is starting in half an hour at MacEwan's CN Theatre. That being said, I'm not so sure that they're actually going to be announcing at the AGM.
    Don't feed the trolls!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Two short will look ok with two tall Pacific mall towers behind them I guess

Stantec sets sights on new downtown head office

EDMONTON - Stantec hopes to decide where to locate its new downtown head office within the next month.

In an interview following the company’s annual general meeting of shareholders, CEO Bob Gomes said the lengthy review process is almost complete.

“We’re down to the final decisions now,” he said.

“Clearly there’s two or three very good developments going on in the city and we just had to work through the issues associated with those. It’s been tough but I think we’re getting close.”

Gomes said Irv Kipnes’s proposed Galleria project, which would include various components including an office tower, is among the final contenders, but he declined to offer details on any other locations that remain in the running.

“Like I said, there’s a number of really good opportunities in the city but yeah, we have narrowed it down to a couple of locations,” he said.

“You always hate to give a deadline out there because there’s still a lot of discussions and negotiations going on. But I would say within the next month I really hope we can conclude something.”

Gomes said Stantec wants to move its 1,500 local employees, who now work out of four central locations including its current head office on 112th Street, to consolidate into one “iconic” downtown office tower.

“The development community really has responded to that desire of ours to have a nice building downtown. It will be a great addition to the Edmonton skyline, a great addition for our company, and something that will be a legacy for the city,” he said.

- See more at: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin....ftSCA19x.dpuf
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Galleria it is then.

It looks like we will see a skyline changing tower!
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Could be Galleria or EAD according to article.
    www.decl.org

Iconic and skyline changing. Sounds promising.

I really REALLY hope that the tower is a single TALL one.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

highlander

I'm not so concerned about how tall, but I'm happy that they're committed to building a stand-out tower.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Could be Galleria or EAD according to article.
    Actually it says:

“Clearly there’s two or three very good developments going on in the city and we just had to work through the issues associated with those. It’s been tough but I think we’re getting close.”
    Could be Maunulife II for all we know,

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

At least it says "one iconic tower" so that likely rules out the toe tower scenario as previously mentioned should it be the galleria site.

C2E SME

I think the 101 Street and 104 Avenue location would be great.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

When he says "two or three very good developments" I definitely see EAD, EDACC, and 102 St Centre.

And from that article, it definitely seems like the two tower option at EDACC is not on the table for them. One "iconic" tower it is then.
    Don't feed the trolls!

One tower. If Enbridge takes 102st., I can see 2 icons ( not the condos). Will 29 floors at 102 centre be enough?

Plz be manu 2. I'd say that thing looks pretty epic/iconic!

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

Has anyone considered the effect of the residential on downtown office absorbtion, I think it will greatly increase the demand for downtown office space. So yea Im not too worried about absorbtion.

^ If you mean reduction of supply by conversion of outdated office towers to residential, I would agree.

If you mean more people living DT increasing the demand for office space, I don't think it would be a significant direct factor, although indirectly it would boost the overall desirability of downtown for most users.

What will happen is that there will be a gap between newer and older Class A space. Older Class A buildings will have to compete by: getting creative to attract/retain tenants (higher TI's, aggressive lease rates); invest/upgrade their common areas, exteriors and/or mechanical systems to give them a fresh new look and lower operating costs. At the end of the day there is a demand for new office space that is in a good location (tied to the pedway, accessible to the LRT, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA View Post
    Just a reminder of the EDACC tower proposal:

"new tallest"....i'll believe it when i see it !!
    Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    What will happen is that there will be a gap between newer and older Class A space. Older Class A buildings will have to compete by: getting creative to attract/retain tenants (higher TI's, aggressive lease rates); invest/upgrade their common areas, exteriors and/or mechanical systems to give them a fresh new look and lower operating costs. At the end of the day there is a demand for new office space that is in a good location (tied to the pedway, accessible to the LRT, etc).

2 options...

1) reclassify older Class A buildings as Class B, Class B is now C and Class C should be converted to condos or renovated.

2) new buildings are Class AA. Old Class A buildings stay as Class A.

But yes, the older class A buildings will need to do something to either attract or retain their tenants.

^I disagree, pulling space out of the market (regardless of class) is not a good thing. This is how the market grows and matures, though I am all for renovation of B and C class office space

^Yes it is. If poorer quality space is being replaced by a better use thats a good thing.

Evolution of building usage is a good thing. After all, look at the following various use building conversions. I'd say that their alterations have not negatively affected downtown :

1. Cambridge Building
    2. Park Square
    3. Edmonton House
    4. Many, many warehouse conversions
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E Posting Power

^ One exception would be the Churchill Retirement Residence at 103 Ave & 100 St which is a good deal uglier now than in its previous life when it was known as the Centennial office tower.

^ Strong agree, I miss the old Centennial facade.

That said, it is the exception, not the rule.

i think my mind set is just different... I dont like the idea of shrinking the office market, every year it makes me happy to see the inventory grow, we are now pushing over 30M sqft in metro Edmonton. No, I dont want to see those numbers go down.

^ Nothing against a larger inventory, but one way or another it has to be reconciled with demand.

mhhhmmmm. But also keep in mind that the class C inventory downtown is less than 2 million sqft, out of what will soon be 20+ million. So you can only convert so much of it to residential.

I don't know that it's exclusively C-Class that will always be converted.

In B-Class I could imagine Chancery Hall, Century Place, and The Williams Building switching uses among others.

Even in A-Class, I could definitely see the landlords of the BMO building and Stantec Technology Centre (due to its location) investigating if they couldn't make more money in other ways.

That said, perhaps what Wosnack said will come around and we'll see more businesses relocate from the 'burbs (or ideally from other centres) and no need for downtown conversion. Either outcome is fine with me though, as downtown residential has tons of (needed) benefits as well.

Everyday, I wait for this news to come.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Aptkwen View Post
    Everyday, I wait for this news to come.
    As do we all

i'm sure someone who reads this board knows what's happening and might be willing to share!

Or maybe they can't share due to confidential negotiations and all that
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

It's not final until it's final.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post

In B-Class I could imagine Chancery Hall, Century Place, and The Williams Building switching uses among others.

Even in A-Class, I could definitely see the landlords of the BMO building and Stantec Technology Centre (due to its location) investigating if they couldn't make more money in other ways.

That said, perhaps what Wosnack said will come around and we'll see more businesses relocate from the 'burbs (or ideally from other centres) and no need for downtown conversion. Either outcome is fine with me though, as downtown residential has tons of (needed) benefits as well.
    The old Stantec Centre is a perfect setup for another engineering company or three. The complex can be demised up pretty easily. I expect to see that happen when Stantec vacates. I understand Stantec has also asked for an extension on their existing leases.

The city intends to keep Century place as office space. Chancery though is somewhat unsuitable for commercial offices. I have heard that CRHA may take it over and convert it to residential
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post

The old Stantec Centre is a perfect setup for another engineering company or three. The complex can be demised up pretty easily. I expect to see that happen when Stantec vacates. I understand Stantec has also asked for an extension on their existing leases.

The city intends to keep Century place as office space. Chancery though is somewhat unsuitable for commercial offices. I have heard that CRHA may take it over and convert it to residential
    They must have a year or two left on leases if that's the case I'd imagine?

2017 I thought
    www.decl.org

Conditional lease extensions, should construction become delayed for any reason, perhaps?
    Don't feed the trolls!

It's no different from the Oilers extending their lease at Northlands until Rogers Place is completed. Tis no biggie.

Lets hope not. It would better as a photo museum, sports museum (which it already hosts), other arts type space. After all it is on our most important square. Low income housing would not be appropriate for such a prominent location.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post

Lets hope not. It would better as a photo museum, sports museum (which it already hosts), other arts type space. After all it is on our most important square. Low income housing would not be appropriate for such a prominent location.
    Ya, send those bums to Terwillegar Towne! JUST JOKING

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post

Ya, send those bums to Terwillegar Towne! JUST JOKING
    Maybe TT should be considered...but then the new Signature tower project out there will be low income / lower middle income. Accommodation for all the retail workers out there.

Yeah, but that other engineering company or three will also have the choices of the Enbridge Tower or Enbridge Building or 9888 Jasper etc. If the market doesn't do something larger, I;'m just saying I see the keener players at least looking at adding balconies.

Chancery would be a fantastic boutique hotel if anyone wanted my input.

Boutique hotel... I find this structure charming and unique.

I hope it becomes something similar to the Cambridge, small units for rent/purchase for 1st time buyers, students etc. That is the demo we need on the square.
    www.decl.org

what ever is done to it, I hope the facade remains.

^^ Excatly. I think CRHA can achieve that quite well, and help with some city mandates as well

People need to get past the stigma of non-market housing, and recognize that it can integrate seamlessly into almost any area if done correctly
    Parkdale

^ A healthy community is a diverse one.

Just like insurance... you need some "substandard" risk in every book in order to make everything stable.

Not that I view people as substandard. As people are not insurance... but if we looked at things from a risk management perspective we would be coldly talking about such things in such a fashion.

^ Not going there.

No problem with the Cambridge model either. But residential either way, would put another very nice breath of life into the area. Hope we can one day also see the Citadel Tower for the same reason.

By the way, Stantec Tower.

Chancery is an excellent conversion candidate. At first blush it looks perfect for boutique hotel but those players can't make sense of the costs. Affordable rentals would be good but other community minded uses are also being considered.

Stantec's property on 112 St will become available long after 9888 is dealt with (hopefully for the owner's sake). 9888 is available now and Stantec's lease expires in 5 years.

C2E SME

Is the NE corner of 101 street and 104 ave part of the EDAAC site? Sounding like that's the location for Stantec's new office. It will be Edmonton's tallest, supposedly.

Who is the source?

C2E SME

To be clear, the information said that they're currently "negotiating", not that it's a final decision. As far as the source goes, it's someone who would know what they're talking about.

Good enough for me. Thanks!

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Is the NE corner of 101 street and 104 ave part of the EDAAC site? Sounding like that's the location for Stantec's new office. It will be Edmonton's tallest, supposedly.
    Yes - that appears to be tower B in this site plan

I have heard the same information. Also saw one version of the renderings, that was very preliminary. The building got shorter but the image I saw was at about 50 stories. Also I have been informed the decision has been made just hammering out the final details.

I am hearing the same, kitty corner to COE, EDAAC site, 43 storeys... so call it 175m? Over 500'.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

I am hearing the same, kitty corner to COE, EDAAC site, 43 storeys... so call it 175m? Over 500'.
    Nice!

Well, there goes my night-time staring at the Epcor tower! (Yes, the gf not only thinks I'm weird but often says so out loud).

Other than that - nice way to get rid of that eyesore loading dock and even nicer statement of confidence in Edmonton by Stantec.
    ... gobsmacked

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Well, there goes my night-time staring at the Epcor tower!
    You too huh?

When can we expect a render?

Quote Originally Posted by Aptkwen View Post
    When can we expect a render?
    um.. how about AFTER its official...

my lord.

lol, I'm just excited to see what this will look like!

^ we all are... its stantec and Qualico. It will be nice

That is the new prominent corner. I wonder what will happen to the south east corner of 104 with all these momentum Happenning?

Last time I went to the rose and crown I parked in that southeast parking lot . ATROCIOUS!! There was a hole connected to a good sized crater it looked like a decent sized sinkhole from what I could not see lol.if there is a spot that is going to double in price in a few short years it's this parcel!

Is there a thread just like this one but for the Enbridge consolidation? I have heard nothing about their progress for quite a while.

102st centre thread.
    www.decl.org

Cough, cough...Hello Enbridge! You'll have the best view of that rink from the upper floors.

What's the word on this rfp?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Dan Tencer tweet:
    Sounds like there'll be a special announcement on @OilersNow tomorrow at 12pm...very much looking forward to it.
    https://twitter.com/dantencer/status/486224177817325568

Hockey or arena related.........

That wasn't it.
    www.decl.org

Im glad for that. I hope Stantec takes this site. It is the only means for this project to take shape. Engineers, architectures, and administrations all come from such institution, so it is time a company that requires such employees help foster this growth.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote from Airboy on SSP:

Its official Stantec will be moving to the Arena site. Announcement today.

Renderings are being done now and will be available in the next month.

Hmm to the arena site, so are they going to build it over top the arena?

Yah I know, they meant EAD, but I couldn't resist my bit of inner Red Green (better to be a smart*ss than a dumb*ss)
    Last edited by sundance; 23-07-2014 at 11:06 AM.

They're moving to the City of Edmonton Tower? What's the new rendering for?

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    They're moving to the City of Edmonton Tower? What's the new rendering for?
    Its a new tower on the EAD -- not the CoE tower.

No, new tower west of Bell.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Stantec announces lease agreement with EAD Joint Venture
    Global design firm to consolidate headquarters in the Edmonton Arena District

Stantec has announced the signing of a major lease for their global headquarters with Katz Group and WAM Development Group through an affiliate of the EAD Joint Venture. The new building will be situated within the Edmonton Arena District.

The new tower will consolidate Stantec’s five locations in Edmonton to one, and is a true commitment to the city’s downtown.

“This agreement represents our commitment to the community of Edmonton and the downtown redevelopment,” said Bob Gomes, president and CEO of Stantec. “Our decision is the result of an intensive selection process over the last year, and we are looking forward to moving ahead with design and construction.”

Preliminary designs are underway and further information on the project will be available at a press conference to be held at the end of August 2014.

“On behalf of the Edmonton Arena District, we are very pleased Stantec chose to partner with us,” said Darren Durstling, president and CEO of WAM Development Group. “We are confident this building will be the cornerstone of Stantec’s continued success and that it will drive the entire Edmonton Arena District development forward in ways that will benefit Edmonton and Edmontonians for generations to come."
    http://www.stantec.com/about-us/news...l#.U8_jOjSwLN1

wow! awesome to hear. 2014 has been the city's turnaround year! former mayor mandel must be smiling a lot. the hard work is paying off.

love the reference to their "global headquarters" makes me so proud!

C2E Posting Power

So I wonder if the building will be similar design to the EAD renderings or if Stantec are making a different design.

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast