Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Race for the Mayor's Chair

Don needs to get his signage up on his campaign office. There's a single lonely campaign sign on the door to the building. Mind you, its probably not as critical as it is for Karen, since Karen has a much more visible location in the old Rogers building on Jasper, and Don's isn't all that visible north of Jasper on 111 street.

Don will have signs in the coming weeks apparently.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

C2E Continued Contributor

Just came across this on Twitter. Curtis Penner has withdrawn his candidacy for Mayor

Curtis Penner: I am withdrawing my candidacy in the #yeg municipal election. See http://www.curtispenner.ca for details. Thanks everyone! #yegvote
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Too bad, now who am I going to vote for

Quote Originally Posted by mnugent View Post
    What about lawn signs? I ordered one awhile ago.

After the molson site.. Don gets my vote.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Mla View Post
    I would expect mid-September.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Not a surprise for Penner to pull out. He had absolutely no chance to win.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

He wasn't running for the right reasons.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

He knows he has a very very long shot to getting mayor's chair , he made the right choice to withdrawl.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E SME

Leibovici hopes to cut through red tape:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Mayor...649/story.html
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Mayoral candidates on development issues

The municipal election campaign got underway in earnest on Tuesday night as three of the people vying to succeed retiring Mayor Stephen Mandel faced off at the first candidates' forum.Kerry Diotte, Karen Leibovici and Don Iveson took part, and below are the prepared answers they gave to questions from the Urban Development Institute and the Edmonton chapter of the Canadian Home Builders' Association.

http://www.cbc.ca/edmonton/interacti...tions/?cmp=rss
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Karen Leibovici all the way!
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Looks like Curtis Penner grabbed a clue!!! He dropped out of the race

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...957/story.html

Penner, 35, said in a post on his website that he wants to focus on fighting city plans to develop housing on vacant school sites “versus diluting my efforts through a mayoral campaign.”

^ Welcome to yesterday. #103
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Got a 5 minute robocall from the Lebovici campain office today. That just secured my decision not to vote for her!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Why would you stay on the line for 5 minutes???

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Leibovici hopes to cut through red tape:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Mayor...649/story.html

She's gettin' dis ****** epifeny jus' now ?

S-s-o-o xakkly wot da fok she been doin' deze last ten year ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Why would you stay on the line for 5 minutes???
    I got the same robocall. My answering machine picked it up, and yes the message was overly long.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

We got a robo call last night, my wife picked up so I have no idea which office it was from. I think all the candidates will be using robo calls eventually before election day. I wouldn't be so quick to jump all over o ne candidate.

The robo call was a mild annoyance -- easy to hang up. But I'll take spam phone calls over uninvited guests showing up at my door!

I will reject any robocalls and never bother answer them back at all.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I got the call today and it was a minute and a half long, weird that she took three and a half min off her message

C2E SME

So I was on Kerry Diottes website and was looking for his platform. I couldn't really find anything. Is his platform still one of no platform?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    So I was on Kerry Diottes website and was looking for his platform. I couldn't really find anything. Is his platform still one of no platform?
    I believe his platform is spend money fixing roads, lower taxes, ban bicycles.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

^^I've tried myself to find what issues and what policies he stands for be be more informed of all candidates, but was on the same boat as you. Don, I find, has the most comprehensive method to getting out in his blogs what he stands for. His latest one http://doniveson.ca/2013/08/23/shari...ith-the-world/ is great to telling Edmontonians what he's about and how much he cares in multiple arenas of politics and community.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E SME

I think that it will be critical for any of these mayoral candidates to look at the growth of our city. We need leadership.

Diotte has the people who are against the arena, and he talks a lot about potholes. He's active on Facebook.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

C2E SME

Maybe these people should ask "why" about the city issues and read into the issues more in-depth.

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    Diotte has the people who are against the arena, and he talks a lot about potholes. He's active on Facebook.
    Bullpucky. The arena will be an albatross to this city for a long time but I'd never vote for Diotte. I'm not alone.

Candidates running so far:

Kristine Acielo
    Kerry Diotte
    Fang Hu
    Don Iveson
    Karen Leibovici
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    You are basing your vote on a small development that is quite inconsequential? I think Don voting no against the arena the whole time is a bigger deal than this.
    Agree.

When I heard how the vote went for the Molson site, I thought I made my mind up and was going with Don. However, then I realized that I was just as bad as others if I was going to place my vote based on one small development or issue.

When it comes to developing Edmonton for the next 20 years who is going to ensure we keep growing, and attracting business'.

Issues such as urban sprawl, bike lanes, roads, rec centres, parks, and walkablity are all issues. But the biggest thing to me is who is going to ensure business' continue to invest in Edmonton. The city of Edmonton is part of a very vibrant region, one of thing that Edmonton competes with is the region surrounding it. From my stand point the traits I'm looking for are in no order:
    1. Strong business connections
    2. ProEdmonton centric capital region
    3. Responsible growth
    4. Good communication / relationship with other levels of government
    5. Transportation

We need strong representation with not only business, but especially with government. Edmonton continues to be over looked. Personally, to me it's a between Don and Karen...and I'm leaning towards Karen...which surprises me.

This could be a turning point for the mayoralty election. It's starting to be talked about on twitter. Is Diotte's slogan cheeky or is it a crass scare tactic?

At the very least it's deceptive. He's implying that Detroit's decline was due to it's debt when it's the other way around. Detroit's decline led to it's debt and ultimate bankruptcy. The reason's for it's decline have no parallel in Edmonton.

That's the thing, Diotte is a journalist - he likes to grab attention, stir the pot, and get people talking any way he can. That is literally all he does.

Don't get me wrong, those are great qualities if you are a journalist, but that's not what you want in a leader.

Followers talk about problems, leaders talk about solutions. Diotte likes to talk a lot about problems.

I nice overview of the City's debt:

City of Edmonton’s debt: breaking down the numbers

Diotte might do well to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Followers talk about problems, leaders talk about solutions. Diotte likes to talk a lot about problems.
    Bang on!!!
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The arena issue is over, quit whining about it already. Investing in the LRT should be our number#1 priority. Our population growth is outpacing every city in the country. Its time to address the larger elephant in the room: Our population growth. If we don't invest in the LRT within the next 2 years, then we could be in for real trouble

Diotte or Detroit

That slogan is not cheeky or grass but it is clever. It also panders to the group Diotte is courting. It will also catch the attention of undecided.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E SME

Fake Kerry Diotte Twitter Feed:

https://twitter.com/iDiotte_

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Diotte or Detroit

That slogan is not cheeky or grass but it is clever. It also panders to the group Diotte is courting. It will also catch the attention of undecided.
    Kerry Diotte likes to campaign on the platform of fear.

the sad part is people support him.

EDP is going to vote Detroit

C2E SME

Partially Addicted to C2E

Very good analysis. In fact, probably the best that I have seen so far.

And who in the end between the two cities has better infrastructure due to not having a cap on borrowing?

Diotte or Detroit

Kerry Diotte likes to campaign on the platform of fear.
    Unfortunately some people buy into that.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

meh.. we will see... Look at all the urban renewal link I make between Edm and Detroit and the visceral reaction from most of you.. do you think Kerry will be able to legitimize his stance.

it's a sound bite...

I am all over the IDIOTte twitter feed.

The article seems to make a distinction about "smart debt"

Fronting all the money for an arena is not smart debt. Building a 23ave interchange that was necessitated by a huge power center there that the city allowed to be rezoned and not requiring developers there to pony money in is not smart debt.

An argument continually gets made that todays debt is the result of years of not paving roads and fixing potholes. This isn't really the case. More the case its due to funding projects that shouldn't be, or are not required.

Meanwhile once again delaying SELRT because theres no money to pay for it. The one thing that OUGHT to have been spent. A future council will be able to blame their deficit on THIS council not fastracking the one thing that should be done.
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-09-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^Again, why is it council's fault and not the other levels of government that have all our money they collect? It's a matter of smart debt - you're right - smart in the sense of "well, where's all their guddamn money?!" Then the onus is on them, the ones who take all the revenue from the city and leave the city with the infrastructure deficit.

C2E SME

Kerry Diotte is using debt as nothing more than a political platform, and he is grossly misrepresenting the numbers. Worst of all, he makes the exaggeration that all of this debt will be financed by tax dollars. The people who subscribe to this are usually those who want to take the easy way out of problems.

Kerry Diotte is using debt as nothing more than a political platform, and he is grossly misrepresenting the numbers. Worst of all, he makes the exaggeration that all of this debt will be financed by tax dollars. The people who subscribe to this are usually those who want to take the easy way out of problems.
    A generalization wrapped in a generalization topped off with hyperbole.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

1 million per metre of bridge? Kerry does not stick with facts.

Tax freezes for Diotte... Just what we need to do...
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

a very empty promise. how will he achieve that? what will be cut? what will be the ripple effect? i don't like tax increase just like everyone else, but don't make a promise like this. it doesn't add to the debate. it just baits stupid people. there should be a review of city operations, like any big organization. find efficiencies etc.

this man has no vision. if anything, the mayor's position has to be one of vision, one of legacy building. he scares people, misrepresents facts (diotte or detroit) and, if elected, would send this city backwards 10 years. (and make no mistake, we are still paying for the reimer years)

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    a very empty promise. how will he achieve that? what will be cut? what will be the ripple effect? i don't like tax increase just like everyone else, but don't make a promise like this. it doesn't add to the debate. it just baits stupid people. there should be a review of city operations, like any big organization. find efficiencies etc.

this man has no vision. if anything, the mayor's position has to be one of vision, one of legacy building. he scares people, misrepresents facts (diotte or detroit) and, if elected, would send this city backwards 10 years. (and make no mistake, we are still paying for the reimer years)
    When did fiscal conservative become a novel, empty, platform in politics?

Legacy building all too often being ego based rather than having any sublime vision. Jean Drapeau for instance was all about legacy. One that Montreal and Quebec are still paying for and with the big Owe unloved and unused for a large part of its debt repayment.

Its an illusion of the times that leaders need some contrived sexy vision of massive spending to try to build palaces. Which contrasts quite a lot with the notion of politics and govt 100yrs ago that it should just set the table for free market, stay clear out of the way, and engage minimal taxation. Now govts trump legacy building as a missive and people gobble it up. lol

A large part of the newer demographic would prefer massive leveraging and incurred debt in all manner, whether it be personal, civic, provincial, federal debt. I do believe a parallel exists between people that believe in massive personal debt vs any govt running debt in general.

Interesting as well that those raised in more prudent economic times are mocked for it.

Bring on the polyester suit comments.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-09-2013 at 11:24 AM.

I don't think the issue with Diotte is fiscal conservatism but the lack of detail in the face of competing promises. Diotte has a pattern of complaining about lack of services and infrastructure work while at the same time wanting to constrain revenue. There are ways to reconcile these competing interests but Diotte doesn't seem inclined to provide his actual plan of how to freeze taxes while pouring money into infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mla View Post
    I would expect mid-September.
    Saw quite a few large, eye-catching Iveson signs on 109th Street south of Whyte today, along with a bunch of lawn signs on neighboring properties -- looks like they're getting out there.

I'm curious, what exactly does being Mayor involve, aside from ceremonial / spokesperson roles, and chairing the council meetings? Does the Mayor have powers in running day to day City stuff, or is that all left to the City Manager / CEO?

the mayor is the face of the city=see rob ford

the mayor, if effective, is able to push an agenda through=see downtown arena

Mayor = CEO of the city. In addition to chairing the council meetings they are the head of the City administration. Council is the legislative portion of the municipal government, the mayor is the executive branch.

I saw a large billboard for Don Iverson on the lawn in front of a walk up apartment on the east side of 116 street between Jasper and 104 avenue. Also saw a giant billboard on Whyte Avenue for Kerry Diotte, and an ad for Karen Leibovici appear on an electronic screen style billboard along 98 street.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Mayor = CEO of the city. In addition to chairing the council meetings they are the head of the City administration. Council is the legislative portion of the municipal government, the mayor is the executive branch.
    The Mayor is also the prime representative of the city when meeting with heads of state, Kings, Queens, Presidents, Prime Ministers, Premiers, other Mayors, Ambassadors and other dignitaries.

At the end of the day Diotte's career was writing stories. While that's respectable work in its own right, it doesn't qualify him to run a city. I need someone with some amount of management experience.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Posting Power

I didn't honestly support all of Iveson's decisions over the years as my ward's councillor. But I fully respect how open he is and how he provides thought-through, logical explanations to his decisions on his blog. I've emailed him on a couple occasions, and he's always been very prompt and diligent with answering my questions in very good detail.

Diotte is going to get a lot of populist votes from people who don't go past the headlines. But I'd like to see him put out some solid numbers of how he's going to fix every piece of infrastructure while lowering taxes before I would ever consider him.

Leibovici kinda seems like she's running just to make a hat trick of her political career (MLA, councillor, mayor). She has never struck me as being all that involved with city activities or events. Competent, but I don't think she'd be a very passionate mayor.

I'm undecided, but leaning towards Iveson.

Now if only I had someone decent to pick from for councillor....

Haven't heard boo from Iveson so far, and have only seen one sign so far. Running around town the other day, it almost seems like a 2 horse race. Have seen tonnes of signs for Kerry and have been door knocked by his campaign (politely shooed him away) Saw several politicians at Kaleido, have heard little from Leibovici but it looks like she's been out & about anyways .. Iveson.. where are you hiding ?
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    Haven't heard boo from Iveson so far, and have only seen one sign so far. Running around town the other day, it almost seems like a 2 horse race. Have seen tonnes of signs for Kerry and have been door knocked by his campaign (politely shooed him away) Saw several politicians at Kaleido, have heard little from Leibovici but it looks like she's been out & about anyways .. Iveson.. where are you hiding ?
    His campaign held off signs and such until yesterday. I suspect and hope we should be seeing a lot more campaigning from him starting this week.

^^Over a thousand Iveson lawn signs were put up yesterday alone. I suspect you'll see many more quite soon too.

At the event yesterday were dozens of staff organizing countless countless vounteers. I've never seen such a well organized political campaign.

I suspect that Iveson delayed launching his campaign marketing until after the summer in deference to his campaign workers. Iveson's base is likely younger, and was busy in the summer with kids off from school, enjoying/volunteering at the summer festivals, and generally enjoying summer. The same likely applies to Iveson himself, too. Now that summer time activities are drawing to a close, Iveson and his campaign team can put in their maximum effort when it counts the most; I don't think getting an early start on the campaign will help Leibovici or Diotte much, as not one (other then the board here ) was thinking much about the campaign yet anyways
    Last edited by Ustauk; 17-09-2013 at 11:03 AM.

His website is pretty in-effective as well.

No platform, just a blog it seems.

Trying to get some information on him, relating to some development issues, and it's been difficult to extrapolate exactly what his views are. I like the idea of him as mayor but I do not trust him at this point, based on the allegiances he has with certain members of the development industry.

I'm also still not convinced that his last minute flip-flop on the arena was not just political posturing

I also do not see him having the neighborhood vision that mayor Mandel had. We could not have achieved a lot of the great work to date in our area without Mandels' encouragement.
    Last edited by 240GLT; 16-09-2013 at 11:52 AM.
    Parkdale

I think many of us are voting ABD - Anyone But Diotte

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I think many of us are voting ABD - Anyone But Diotte
    A pretty misguided and ineffective way to vote that could just as easily lead to the direct opposite result of what it intends.

I can't even classify this as strategic voting. Its voting fail 101

Maybe democracy requires instructions..

In a 3 horse race the "anybody but X" voting is exactly what people here shouldn't want.

What people should be hoping for is that Either Iveson or Leibovici distinguish themselves or one falls on their face in the campaign. If they tend to run neck and neck they could both be sunk.

I'm leaning towards Leibovici, but am open to voting for Iveson.

Diotte hasn't said or done anything to impress me.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Me too

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    His website is pretty in-effective as well.

No platform, just a blog it seems.
    i disagree. i find the continued reasoning and decision background to be a far more effective judge of perspective than a "platform". the platform pages of political candidates always seem to follow the same format, promote the same issues of the day, and are just dry policy "catch-alls" that make promises but don't indicate whether the candidate is someone you can trust to make on-the-spot decisions that are sound, or align with your views.

for development related topics, try here: http://doniveson.ca/planning/

I read that blog.. once again it's more of an opinion piece.

I disagree about the blog being more effective.. I think that's a cop-out

A platform gives people concrete ideas what a candidate represents

You know the phrase "opinions are like ***holes.. everybody's got one" , Well everyone's got a blog too.
    Parkdale

Got my "Don Iveson for Mayor" sign on my front lawn yesterday

Does Diotte have a better plan for arena or not? He’s yet to announce one.

Mayoral candidate Kerry Diotte has come out with a provocative advertisement that highlights his opposition to the Edmonton arena deal.

In the ad spot, Diotte says: “The deal the city signed stinks,” Diotte says. “We will finance it, we will build it, we will own it and yet we won’t get one red cent of profit for it.”

It’s certainly a clear statement of disgust from Diotte but it’s hard to square how he dislikes the arena deal so much, yet in the press conference where he announced he was running for Mayor, Diotte made it clear that if elected he won’t work to kill the deal.

“There was a democratic vote,” he said. “I think we’re bound by it.”

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-elected-what/
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    I suspect that Iverson delayed launching his campaign marketing until after the summer in deference to his campaign workers. Iverson's base is likely younger, and was busy in the summer with kids off from school, enjoying/volunteering at the summer festivals, and generally enjoying summer. The same likely applies to Iverson himself, too. Now that summer time activities are drawing to a close, Iverson and his campaign team can put in their maximum effort when it counts the most; I don't think getting an early start on the campaign will help Leibovici or Diotte much, as not one (other then the board here ) was thinking much about the campaign yet anyways
    It's Don Iveson, no 'r'.

I walked past Diotte's campaign office at 4:30 yesterday, and it was closed. The sign on the door said it's open until 5:30. Do we really want to elect someone who can't tell time?

Also, why do the "one-trick-pony" mayoral candidates feel the need to open campaign offices in Strathcona? Diotte's office is a block away from the spot Dorward occupied last election.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by thisiswilson View Post
    I suspect that Iverson delayed launching his campaign marketing until after the summer in deference to his campaign workers. Iverson's base is likely younger, and was busy in the summer with kids off from school, enjoying/volunteering at the summer festivals, and generally enjoying summer. The same likely applies to Iverson himself, too. Now that summer time activities are drawing to a close, Iverson and his campaign team can put in their maximum effort when it counts the most; I don't think getting an early start on the campaign will help Leibovici or Diotte much, as not one (other then the board here ) was thinking much about the campaign yet anyways
    It's Don Iveson, no 'r'.
    Sorry; thanks for letting me know; I went back and corrected the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by thisiswilson View Post
    It's Don Iveson, no 'r'.
    Sorry; thanks for letting me know; I went back and corrected the original post.
    No problem, just thought you should know.

I sadly predict the intelligent vote will get split between Don and Karen, while Diotte enjoys spending his 4 years setting Edmonton back at least another 10.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

Mayoral candidate Kerry Diotte has come out with a provocative advertisement that highlights his opposition to the Edmonton arena deal.

In the ad spot, Diotte says: “The deal the city signed stinks,” Diotte says. “We will finance it, we will build it, we will own it and yet we won’t get one red cent of profit for it.”

It’s certainly a clear statement of disgust from Diotte but it’s hard to square how he dislikes the arena deal so much, yet in the press conference where he announced he was running for Mayor, Diotte made it clear that if elected he won’t work to kill the deal.

Good point Ian. The bolded particularly is a stupid thing for Kerry to state.
    I state that because to say the vote was democratic infers that the constituents were meaningfully represented in the vote. The majority of Edmontonians of course were opposed to this funding arrangement, some of them actually voted for candidates that were against public funding of an arena and then voted for it anyway.

Kerry's biggest ploy post election could've been to claim that the public WAS NOT properly reflected in the city council vote and put it to plebiscite. But his statement fairly precludes that action now.

C2E Super Addict

Getting a little nervous? You've posted this on at least 2 threads...

What's the problem? as you guys keep insisting, the majority of voters are in favor of the arena deal...you do still believe that don't you Ian?...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Playing devils advocate here but what happens if the the contractor files for bankruptcy during the time of construction, who's on the hook then?

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post

What's the problem? as you guys keep insisting, the majority of voters are in favor of the arena deal...you do still believe that don't you Ian?...
    On what basis could anybody possibly believe that most Edmontonians were in favor of the heavily funded arena deal?

Virtually every poll contradicted that myth.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Playing devils advocate here but what happens if the the contractor files for bankruptcy during the time of construction, who's on the hook then?
    I am pretty sure PCL won't be filling for bankruptcy lol, they are massive (largest in Canada, 5th largest in the US).

First One is Always Free

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I drove down 75st the other day and saw a bunch of Kerry Diotte signs on lawns. Coincidentally, every single home was clearly occupied by folks of the elderly persuasion, evidenced by seeing the owners outside, doily curtains, or pattern furniture in the living room facing a wooden TV.
    The over 50's are the largest group of voters. I think Diotte's got a lot more votes than people realize. Also, a lot of small business owners support him. Only about 30% of the population show up at the Polls. While Leibovici will take most of the votes (largely Jewish community) that helped Mandel, Iveson will take some (but not all of the young University yuppie votes), many small business and seniors will vote for Diotte. Do the math on who turns up regularly at the polls. I predict Diotte as our next Mayor.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I so hate having to stay out of this...as I will be running the all candidates forum and need to remain impartial...but these 2 points I would definitely love for all candidates to address

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    I'm curious, what exactly does being Mayor involve, aside from ceremonial / spokesperson roles, and chairing the council meetings? Does the Mayor have powers in running day to day City stuff, or is that all left to the City Manager / CEO?
    ...more appropriately...

How will you ensure that Administration is running at the direction of Council, vs the apprearance that Council is lead by Administration?

Now, the conversation that followed moa does explain the mayor's role...but I would definitely like to see the relationship clarified and then enforced...for I have seen too many examples of the relationship being somewhat altered.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    ^Again, why is it council's fault and not the other levels of government that have all our money they collect? It's a matter of smart debt - you're right - smart in the sense of "well, where's all their guddamn money?!" Then the onus is on them, the ones who take all the revenue from the city and leave the city with the infrastructure deficit.
    This is a great question that all cities need to ask. It is high time that municipalities had a bit more control in the revenues they generate, and how they are generated. The MGA must be revisited, so I would definitely like to see how all candidates would propose getting other mayors on side and then engaging the province?

Trust me...this very issue affected how we can and do present economic impact numbers...and greatly impacts the ROI to the city's coffers from its investment in major events, conferences, and other items...esp from a sales tax standpoint.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

^I hope you do ask about visiting the tax mode with the province. The last provincial election was all mouths and ears from local politicians and mayors, but then after the election I contacted some MLA's and they said, "Hmm my constituents haven't been talking about this; it's news to me. Come in for a chat to enlighten me." The province turns a Big Blind Eye because they don't get in trouble for City's problems, the council's do. It's the perfect system for them.

First One is Always Free

Seems the only thing she has done in municipal politics is declare herself running for the mayor chair. The rest is just 'watch this space' and I don't think we will be doing that for long.
    Karen also spent an awful lot of her last two years travelling with the FCM (Federation of Canadian Municipalities). She and her city office staff (paid for by the city taxpayers) spent a good deal of their time making reservations and travel arrangements (oh yes, and submitting expense statements and time sheets...yes, she got paid for working for FCM). A lot of her Council votes were phoned in. Is that who you want for your next Mayor. She was being paid twice ...as a City Councillor and for her time jetting around for the FCM.

C2E SME

I still think that whoever mobilizes the 20-34 age group to vote will have a huge advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Complicated View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I drove down 75st the other day and saw a bunch of Kerry Diotte signs on lawns. Coincidentally, every single home was clearly occupied by folks of the elderly persuasion, evidenced by seeing the owners outside, doily curtains, or pattern furniture in the living room facing a wooden TV.
    The over 50's are the largest group of voters. I think Diotte's got a lot more votes than people realize. Also, a lot of small business owners support him. Only about 30% of the population show up at the Polls. While Leibovici will take most of the votes (largely Jewish community) that helped Mandel, Iveson will take some (but not all of the young University yuppie votes), many small business and seniors will vote for Diotte. Do the math on who turns up regularly at the polls. I predict Diotte as our next Mayor.
    Diotte is just one vote. He only advocates dysfunctional relationship with the city council, nothing else.

Diotte said he doesn't like the arena deal. So, will you obligate to vote for him and to watch him do nothing about it? Talk is cheap. You're too complicated.
    Last edited by Nemic; 18-09-2013 at 01:00 AM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    ^I hope you do ask about visiting the tax mode with the province. The last provincial election was all mouths and ears from local politicians and mayors, but then after the election I contacted some MLA's and they said, "Hmm my constituents haven't been talking about this; it's news to me. Come in for a chat to enlighten me." The province turns a Big Blind Eye because they don't get in trouble for City's problems, the council's do. It's the perfect system for them.
    ...if I were running, that would be my #1 economic platform. The arena debate proved that we need to revisit this...the numbers game when it came to Indy losing vs actually benefitting was easily misconstrued (same would go for the Tour of Alberta, any large event like the IIAF Track and Field, World Juniors, etc).

You are so right to the blind eye comment. I've raised this for years and I too get the blank stare from some MLA's. Only one sat me down a long time ago and laid out the MGA...and how it really was (his words) making cities the "b**ch**" of the Province, when he knew even at that time (1988 ) that the cities would become the powerhouse they are today.

The main fear is that cities will start to ignore and even take advantage of the rural areas akin to the US model...and there have been some recent examples of that both in the long standing Rocky View v Calgary and Edmonton v Region fights as of late. With years of a government that had the backing of calgary's unicity, and the rural areas...there was little incentive to change as the main fights here were in "Redmonton".

...now that Calgary is bigger, Red Deer is having its issues, same with Grande Prairie, it is a bit different. You could also throw St Albert v Sturgeon here too if you want some good recent examples of the fights.

...the whole "special urban node" - aka city sized hamlets - comes into this too...maybe there are good things to be garnered from this model?

It is high time that the taxation system reflects the responsibilities downloaded to the municipalities since the start of the Klein revolution.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

It was relevant to 2 threads. Nervous, perhaps a little, but I think the majority of Edmontonians will recognize that a Mayor is much more than someone who wants pot holes fixed and tax freezes.
    www.decl.org

It was relevant to 2 threads. Nervous, perhaps a little, but I think the majority of Edmontonians will recognize that a Mayor is much more than someone who wants pot holes fixed and tax freezes.
    I'm reasonably sure voters of any of the candidates will recognize more about who they are voting for than your dismissive reduction.

I am not so sure about that to be honest.
    www.decl.org

RichardS, I had to get a friend within the Legislature government with the PC's to get me some raw materials on the tax model. We raped about it for a good night - me info about contacting people, her about in "inside" details in the Leg - but it came down to the cities in Alberta need to band together and get things going. Nenshi and Mandel made a good team, but they needed other cities to spruce up the arsenal. Don and Karen I believe have this power with their contacts and bridging power, and what they simply believe in.

Everyone pays 'property taxes' one way or the other.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast