Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Race for the Mayor's Chair

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy?
    . (...)but it came down to the cities in Alberta need to band together and get things going. Nenshi and Mandel made a good team, but they needed other cities to spruce up the arsenal.(...)
    It is exactly this issue that will decide my vote. A clear plan with concise deliverables...not a competition on vagueness, or some desire to show off silver spoon oration skills, or buzzword bingo.

Truth be told...it is time for execution on many files. the budgets are set, projects committed to...so the table steaks are done. it is time for real leadership on the tough issues like the MGA.

The next big item for me is the relationship with administration. It seems to be working in the wrong direction.

...so far in this campaign... I'm disappointed.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I sadly predict the intelligent vote will get split between Don and Karen, while Diotte enjoys spending his 4 years setting Edmonton back at least another 10.
    I pray that one or the other more progressive candidate steps aside and throws their support behind the other, should it look like the above eventuality is going to happen. Only time will tell.

I think if Diotte became mayor, he would do exactly what he did as a councillor for the last 3 years.

That is, I think he would complain about a lot of things to "stir the pot", he would post a lot about it on the internet to get attention, he'd throw a token "no" vote to improving anything whenever there's a council vote, and in the grand scheme of things, he would really do nothing (nothing harmful, but nothing beneficial, either).

I don't like Diotte - not because I think he would be bad for the city. I don't like Diotte because I don't think he's mayor material.

I think he would be a rob ford... he would divide council.. I really don't feel that most of the councilors that are left are really strong ones apart from Tony and Ben.

I also have to say that there were a number of very important items up for public hearing the last few weeks and kerry said NOTHING to them.. NOTHING. The molson development... NOTHING, not a single question... The only one he spoke to was the CRL so he could get his crappy soundbite in.

Thank god Loken trumped Kerry by spitting out "put up or shut up"
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

First One is Always Free

http://doniveson.ca/2013/05/15/final...ote-rationale/

Don Iveson's comments on why he agreed to support the arena deal, even though he didn't feel it was the best deal. My question is, why didn't he, as a member of Council work for a better deal? Was he using his leadership skills as a contender for the position of Mayor, or was he following Mandel?

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Complicated View Post

Don Iveson's comments on why he agreed to support the arena deal, even though he didn't feel it was the best deal. My question is, why didn't he, as a member of Council work for a better deal? Was he using his leadership skills as a contender for the position of Mayor, or was he following Mandel?
    Career politician, no real principles. Wait to see which way the wind is blowing and then go with the majority... Nice hair though!

I'd rather C2E than work!

He did work for a better deal and the deal that was signed is far, far better than what came before. Iveson himself has laid all this out in explaining why he did vote in favour of the deal they got. He has said he felt it was as good a deal as they were going to get and better than doing than doing nothing.

I can’t see any realistic scenario where we’ll come out ahead by saying no today.

If we start over we’ll lose time and costs will rise. And the next election will be about this question rather than where we go next as a City.

If we do nothing, we still have an aging building, a team with no location agreement, and the same owner with the same negotiating position.

As tough as this deal is to swallow, I don’t see realistically how we’ll do any better by dragging this out further.

Since this is the final vote, I can no longer hope to change the deal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I am not so sure about that to be honest.
    Me either.

I think Loken's "put up or shut up" comment directly at Mimi Williams was just plain arrogant, churlish, and rude. Made him look real class - in a redneck sense.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    I think Loken's "put up or shut up" comment directly at Mimi Williams was just plain arrogant, churlish, and rude. Made him look real class - in a redneck sense.
    I'm not in his ward so don't know a lot about his platforms but I hope its better than his typical presentation. I've found him to be uninvolved, or standoffish when I've seen him in council.

Really odd personality for public service.
    Last edited by Replacement; 18-09-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I am not so sure about that to be honest.
    You know what I'm getting at Ian.

It doesn't add anything to the exchange here, and informed contributions and healthy debate to be chronically denouncing using tired generalizations.

As we approach this election, and this board approaches the candidate forums, I have hope for better discourse than this. Theres about 50 comments in this thread that are devoid of reason.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Long Term Contributor

That I can agree with, cheers?
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

That I can agree with, cheers?
    Well, er, yes.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Well, after all the months, years that city council has been banging away at the arena deal I am surprised he did not tell her to 'put up or shut the f*ck up'. How often is this arena deal going to be resurrected when someone is running for council. If Mimi Williams is making this issue part of her Ward 7 platform it seems we have another one trick pony in the race along with Diotte. Although Diotte has his pothole propaganda as the other part of his platform. The tribe has spoken on the arena deal, get over it and move on.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E SME

Kerry Diotte's campaign slogan?

"Do you Kerry Diotte?"
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

If Kerry Diotte is elected mayor, I wonder how long key city administrators like Economist John Rose and City Manager Simon Farbrother would stay.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    If Kerry Diotte is elected mayor, I wonder how long key city administrators like Economist John Rose and City Manager Simon Farbrother would stay.
    You state this like its a bad thing.

Please add Lorna Rosen to the list and make it a triple crown.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    You state this like its a bad thing.

Please add Lorna Rosen to the list and make it a triple crown.
    Bingo!... Who exactly promotes these individuals who seem intent on spending our money like drunken sailors to these positions of power anyhow?....

C2E SME

^I wouldn't work for an incompetent city mayor. And I think Edmonton would get the ***** label it deserves if Diotte gets elected.

One thing I liked about Mandel was that he didn't suffer fools very easily.

I'm still waiting to see the point-by-point list of all the things Diotte would cut or any reasonable defence of the idea we're spending money like 'drunken sailors'. If you think Edmonton's tax rate is too high there are several other municipalities in the metro area. Of course most of those have substantially higher tax rates than us as do most cities in Canada.

It's fine to argue on spending but there needs to be detail and a reasonable assessment of our current situation. The argument that we're somehow in some kind of uncontrollable spending spree and debt spiral just makes Diotte look like a crank.

^I wouldn't work for an incompetent city mayor. And I think Edmonton would get the ***** label it deserves if Diotte gets elected.

One thing I liked about Mandel was that he didn't suffer fools very easily.
    Well except in those instances when Mandel was playing the fool, and was being angry, recalcitrant, and unwavering in his misinterpretation.

In anycase the bolded, rather than being qualities, are often found to be roadblocks to working well with others. With those attributes sometimes bordering on humorless avarice. Mandel in effect decides who he's going to work with, and who he's going to namecall or deride, a practice that served him reasonably well in a council that was mostly supportive of his missive and in fairly unprecedented positive economic times.

Mandel had benefits of both a like minded council and the best possible milieu of economic boom, something any politician benefits from.

Interestingly, both Mandel, and even Nenshi, under criticism or duress show other characteristics. For instance what you bolded. But with that potentially unravelling badly in less fortunate circumstance.

I daresay Mandel benefitted from fortune around him rather than creating it.

^Mandel made tough decisions, built a consensus, and fought through the challenges. The arena and the closure of the city centre airport are two obvious examples.
    He was very proactive and created change.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

Quote Originally Posted by mnugent View Post
    ^Mandel made tough decisions, built a consensus, and fought through the challenges. The arena and the closure of the city centre airport are two obvious examples.
    He was very proactive and created change.
    I would say the latter is better indication. Because the challenge in that also involved numerous instances of outside interference and obstacles. There was clear resilience, perseverance in that.

In the end the Arena depending on ones perspective can look like a several year journey of consultation and negotiation to end up with a framework that might be worse than if one was engaged in a deal years earlier.
    The Arena negotiation was fraught with pitfalls none the least of which was the city engaging in exhaustive arena research in an area with flimsy evidence, limited longitudinal data, or projections. If effect taking years to research a relative unknown, or hearsay. Only to come up with a deal that arguably wasn't any better informed.
    Depending on ones view or arena related economics one see's this as either a success or an agenda that consumed several years of this councils focus, time, and energy and given the end deal may as well have been expedited years earlier.

The legacy may well be that the next council will have lots of catching up to do on all civic matters after this one seemingly green stamped any development anywhere for decades without so much a realization of how overwhelmed infrastructure is impacted by this. This could be remembered as the council that got most sidetracked for the longest time by the least issues while it was sleeping at the switch for many others.

A fair comment could be that this council did more to further subsequent civic work than address it. Although it likes to be known as the "progressive" council that solved decades of passed on problems. It remains to be seen how many this council created either directly or by oversight. Lets let the warm glow of parting subside before judging the legacy of this council. Legacy only being determined in time of course.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-09-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Intervios event Oct 1 at Lat 53,

http://www.intervivos.ca
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Cool, I will try to attend...

maybe this snooze fest of a race will actually start to show some actual ideas and platforms...

sorry if I just offended those of you working on these...but this race to date is boring! it only had been rhetoric and platitude...interspursed with small doses of laughter.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Interesting policy announcements
    -A switch away from property taxes within 20 years
    -A commitment to save $20 million a year in increased efficencies
    http://doniveson.ca/2013/09/19/new-t...fund-our-city/
    Go down a few dark alleys.

Quote Originally Posted by mnugent View Post
    Interesting policy announcements
    -A switch away from property taxes within 20 years
    -A commitment to save $20 million a year in increased efficencies
    http://doniveson.ca/2013/09/19/new-t...fund-our-city/
    Nice, actual plans and ideas!

Although I would note that from what I've heard the transition to Google from Microsoft is not going particularly smoothly. Hopefully they don't end up eating extra costs there.

^
    Nice to see Don thinking in both the short and long term. Most politicians only think in the short term.

I'm leaning more towards him at this point. I like what I've read of his platform so far.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Iveson says he's raised "about" $300,000 -- not too far off.

^If that's accurate, this would be impressive. This should give pause to the Leibovici camp given the enthusiasm and volunteer gap between her campaign and Iveson's.

Leibovici's campaign contributions won't have much impact and won't save her in this election.

If anything the bright posters in fancy blue suit and uncharacteristic smiles only serve to contrast the typically dour, and tired expression this career politician emulates.

Its not insignificant, how do you market this;

This is not the energetic countenance of a leader.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-09-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Its not insignificant, how do you market this;

This way, apparently:

^

Its nice that Karen looks excited about something these days. To anybody attending council over the last several years it looks like she's on the verge of sleeping for instance as noted in above in an earlier picture where she manages to make Ron Hayter look positive.

This might be an energy level one can get away with as an aldermanic representative and we've had some doozies over the years but its not befitting a mayor.

Apologies in advance as well for citing appearance but theres virtually zero charisma, energy, leadership invoked here.

*Action* shot notwithstanding..
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-09-2013 at 11:55 PM.

CBC tweets of Mayoral forum last night
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...orum-1.1861200
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

ADMIN

I moved the campaign contribtuon comments to THIS THREAD.
    Ow

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    CBC tweets of Mayoral forum last night
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...orum-1.1861200

What a useless article.

Top_Dawg concurs with some of the remarks in the comments section.

Stringing together a bunch of tweets is a woefully lame azz attempt at news reporting.

C2E SME

Paula Simons column:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...028/story.html

This is absolutely dirty!

Unfortunately for the owner of the Blue Plate Diner no good deed goes unpunished. It's not a stretch for people to think they support Diotte by letting him film this clip in their establishment. Diotte's seems very nonchalant about it but he seems nonchalant about everything. They could have made that clip in some ones house instead of taking advantage of peoples goodwill.

It's always about the arena! God, get another point that the city needs talking about already. I listened to all the candidates on the forums so far, and Kerry keeps blathering two lines: taxes and the arena - no matter what the questions are. And Don, he gives an unstuttering response with DEEP knowledge of all possible avenues to solve problems. The video that accompanies the above blog/twitter feed explains it all. Diotte says "um" and "taxes", while Don gives well rounded and detailed answers that encompass foresight and long term planning. This is ridiculous!
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

^The pot holes, don't forget the potholes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paula Simons column:

This is absolutely dirty!
    Holy ****. That's his actual response? What a slimball.

Blue Plate should put a sign out front of their shop and on Twitter that says "We gleefully DO NOT support Diotte or his campaign, at all, ever."

In fact, I might just go there, say I'm a city worker and staple signs everywhere! Amirite, Diotte?

I agree. They should put up a sign that says "This ad stinks. We wish we didn't let him do it. Please vote for someone who cares about Edmonton."

What an ultra-mega a-hole. I can't believe he's willing to publicly take their generosity and throw it in their face. A smart person would apologize profusely, and get the volunteers to re-film it.

I can't believe anyone believes this guy will make a great mayor.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Partially Addicted to C2E

Diotte's goal for all this mess is to gain publicity for his principles. The more recognition you give in to him, the greater victory of his campaign. So, don't let our ball fall into his court.

Ignore him, don't mention any of him.
    Last edited by Nemic; 20-09-2013 at 08:07 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Mention who?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E SME

Diotte used the Blue Plate Diner for his own personal gain, and customers are angry at the restaurant as a consequence of the ad. I think Diotte will face the same consequences that the Wild Rose Party did last provincial election, because of stunts like these.
    Last edited by The_Cat; 20-09-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Diotte's response to using and abusing the Blue Plate Diner should count as the first Bozo eruption of the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemic View Post
    Diotte's goal for all this mess is to gain publicity for his principles. The more recognition you give in to him, the greater victory of his campaign. So, don't let our ball fall into his court.

Ignore him, don't mention any of him.
    Its obvious its worked.

I think its kind of funny.

How clueless can the establishment be if they let a candidate that they don't support in the first place film a campaign video on the premises.

This is a coup for Diotte getting an establishment on 104st, just blocks from the stinky arena excavation to be the location for the ad.

Dirty? Misleading? lol, its politics and the entire Arena saga was a pack of lies. Ironic that the response is getting called out.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-09-2013 at 09:53 AM.

C2E SME

One thing for sure, this will draw more voters, but it may draw more neutral voters to the Iveson and Leibovici camps.

One thing for sure, this will draw more voters, but it may draw more neutral voters to the Iveson and Leibovici camps.
    For all the Diotte contempt going on around here seems like people are getting pretty concerned he's going to win the election.

Can't imagine there'd be this kind of hate without the knuckle chewing.

It was a mistake for Iveson to vote for the Arena. Its easily become the touchstone in this campaign and entirely predictable as well. Iveson opened the door for Diotte to use this. Obviously it wouldn't be an effective ploy had Iveson similarly held up. Amateur mistake that cost him the election.

Good candidate too but tricked himself into a box. Iveson can do no better than ineffectively waffle on this issue.

KISS is not a bad approach in politics. People seem to forget that.

First One is Always Free

Thumbs down

For all the Diotte contempt going on around here seems like people are getting pretty concerned he's going to win the election.

It was a mistake for Iveson to vote for the Arena. Its easily become the touchstone in this campaign and entirely predictable as well. Iveson opened the door for Diotte to use this. Obviously it wouldn't be an effective ploy had Iveson similarly held up. Amateur mistake that cost him the election.

Good candidate too but tricked himself into a box. Iveson can do no better than ineffectively waffle on this issue.

The arena deal will continue to haunt Leibovici and Iveson. Its their history and legacy

C2E SME

Iveson has a long-term vision for saving $20 million for the city.

Diotte has offered no ideas for saving money during his time in office.

Surprise, surprise! Reactionary, faux-populist politics appeals to Edmonton voters (but not those who frequent this board, of course, we're all smarter than that). What a load.

C2E Super Addict

Iveson to voter on doorstep:

"Hi, I'm Don Iveson, I voted to pi$$ away over HALF A BILLION of your tax dollars on a deal that even a child could see was ridiculous, but hey, not to worry I've a long-term vision for saving $20 million for the city."...

(Door Slams shut. Laughter is heard from inside house)

Don smooths his hair and moves on to next house....

Repeat.

Partially Addicted to C2E

The arena deal will continue to haunt Leibovici and Iveson. Its their history and legacy
    Taking advantage of people's goodwill will continue to haunt Diotte. Its his history and legacy

I am not a Diotte supporter. The arena deal is one of the few things I agree with him on.

The video has been around for about a week. Until I read Paula's column I do not recall any mention anywhere that it had been filmed in the Blue Plate Diner. After viewing the video a few more times I fail to see how anyone could draw the conclusion that anything other than the arena deal stinks.

I agree with Replacement's analysis in part. The video is designed to peel youth voters away from Iveson or at least make them less enthusiastic about supporting him. Will it work? Who knows, but the path to victory is often made up of appealing to small slices of the electorate.

Where I'm not sure I agree with Replacement is that Iveson's flip flop will cost him the election. Had Iveson not flip flopped, there would have two anti-arena candidates and one pro-arena. This might have opened a path to victory for Leibovici. It would also have made Iveson look less business friendly where this particular corporate welfare project seems quite popular.
    Last edited by East McCauley; 21-09-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    I am not a Diotte supporter. The arena deal is one of the few things I agree with him on.

The video has been around for about a week. Until I read Paula's column I do not recall any mention anywhere that it had been filmed in the Blue Plate Diner. After viewing the video a few more times I fail to see how anyone could draw the conclusion that anything other than the arena deal stinks.

I agree with Replacement's analysis in part. The video is designed to peel youth voters away from Iveson or at least make them less enthusiastic about supporting him. Will it work? Who knows, but the path to victory is often made up of appealing to small slices of the electorate.

Where I'm not sure I agree with Replacement is that Iveson's flip flop will cost him the election. Had Iveson not flip flopped, there would have two anti-arena candidates and one pro-arena. This might have opened a path to victory for Leibovici. It would also have made Iveson look less business friendly where this particular corporate welfare project seems quite popular.
    The arena is still one of the hot issues that impacts this upcoming election. With a lot of the electorate feeling not represented in that agreement and vote. The polls were quite clear people were not in support of a public funded arena, and council voted for the heavily public funded arena anyway. With that nature of thing theres always going to be some accountability costs and collateral damage. The smart thing being to stay out of that expected fallout. Basic common sense really.

Iveson, by being steadfastly reserved and voting against the arena deals multiple times then changing step and voting for it really removes any credibility in him even engaging in what is one of the foremost election topics. Moreso, his current campaign to save money is rendered a joke in context.

expat already beat me to the punch line.

I like Iveson, wanted to support him and expected to as recently as say 6mths ago. But he's lost credibility. At this point its a slide into damage control. I'm still wondering how such an apparently bright candidate thought their way into the corner Don presently finds himself in. I chalk it up to the inexperience of youth.

I think because Don fancies himself an intellectual idealist he forgot about being a pragmatist. As soon as he convinced himself through some complicated meandering process he did disservice to his campaign possibilities. Which we see now as his campaign platform contrasts greatly with his vote on the bellwether issue of the campaign.

A lot of arena supporters won't like that this will be such a hot topic in this campaign but it is anyway and with the majority of voters likely wanting to finally get a say on that.

The people will speak with their votes in the end. All the dissatisfaction votes with this present council will likely fall to Diotte. Iveson prevented himself from being the bright new alternative. I think that was his best play.

Politically speaking its pretty obvious after years of "progressive" council that a swing vote is going to take place. Its my take that Leibovici was never going to be getting much of that swing vote with her being a longstanding incumbent mired in this council.

Nice to see Diotte's campaign is starting to self implode... way to shoot yourself in the foot Kerry!

Still, the candidate’s not changing his spot.

“I’m glad it’s got people talking about the arena deal,” Diotte says.

Didn't Diotte say if he's elected mayor he won't kill the arena deal? So what's his reasoning for getting people to be "talking about the arena deal"?

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Still, the candidate’s not changing his spot.

“I’m glad it’s got people talking about the arena deal,” Diotte says.

Didn't Diotte say if he's elected mayor he won't kill the arena deal? So what's his reasoning for getting people to be "talking about the arena deal"?
    That's called "flip-flopping". Which is funny, because the act of "flip flopping" is usually the single most egregious charge the Right will level at their opponents.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Iveson to voter on doorstep:

"Hi, I'm Don Iveson, I voted to pi$$ away over HALF A BILLION of your tax dollars on a deal that even a child could see was ridiculous, but hey, not to worry I've a long-term vision for saving $20 million for the city."...

(Door Slams shut. Laughter is heard from inside house)

Don smooths his hair and moves on to next house....

Repeat.
    Sound of excessive laughter in my home.

First One is Always Free

In Iveson's favour, I will say that his 2010 campaign donations were handled honourably. His workers could have done a little more research on one of the contributions to see that it was, in fact, an acceptable donation. But hey, better to err and take the high road.

As to other donations that I've mentioned, please just look at the Elections 2013 Website and note that individual donations that do not $100 do not have to be declared (just total sum).

the arena deal is done, people have moved on. the silent majority have moved on. and i don't believe polls on the issue. polls have not been having a good run lately (see ab, bc elections)

the arena deal is self funded. the city borrows, sure, but the ticket tax pays down the mortgage, the arena rent pays down the mortgage, the uplift in tax on dt buildings will help pay the mortgage.

and what do i get in return: a new venue, an emerging north edge of dt, a place to showcase to clients/ family, and new investment in dt from private companies. that will mean more people dt, more small businesses, more people on the lrt, higher tax revenues.

for all his complaining, diotte has not offered an alternative funding deal, not once. just repeating 'we need a better deal' does not a better deal be made.

i can not wait for the arena to open. i will be there celebrating 2016

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    the arena deal is done, people have moved on. the silent majority have moved on. and i don't believe polls on the issue. polls have not been having a good run lately (see ab, bc elections)

the arena deal is self funded. the city borrows, sure, but the ticket tax pays down the mortgage, the arena rent pays down the mortgage, the uplift in tax on dt buildings will help pay the mortgage.

and what do i get in return: a new venue, an emerging north edge of dt, a place to showcase to clients/ family, and new investment in dt from private companies. that will mean more people dt, more small businesses, more people on the lrt, higher tax revenues.

for all his complaining, diotte has not offered an alternative funding deal, not once. just repeating 'we need a better deal' does not a better deal be made.

i can not wait for the arena to open. i will be there celebrating 2016
    Sure, you go on believing that. hope the tooth fairy leaves you lots of money under your pillow between now and 2016

C2E SME

^ Any money saved by Diotte on "low taxes", will be wasted on reneging on the arena deal.

Wait until the city decides to fix up Rexall Place with taxpayers' money because the new arena wasn't built. We'll probably spend close to a billion dollars.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ It's hard to say how much a renovated Rexall will cost. Rexall has been renovated before. The LRT stop call out is still calling Rexall "Coliseum station."

This arena blabbering has to stop. Who knows, Edmonton might actually debate real issues otherwise...
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^ It's hard to say how much a renovated Rexall will cost. Rexall has been renovated before. The LRT stop call out is still calling Rexall "Coliseum station."
    Renovation costs were pegged at $250,000,000.00

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ That's just under half and a bit for the downtown arena but I'm cross pollinating this thread with another, sorry all.

I believe the renovation would have left Rexall with 2000 less seats. That, and it's one of the oldest arenas in the league.

What this election should be about is accountability...

Personally I don't think most people are that upset with the tax levels...What they are upset with is the lack of value for their tax dollar.

We all have tales of Municipal waste...from budget overruns to watching freshly paved streets get ripped up to put in new sewer or some such.

This extends into things like the bureaucracy involved in getting simple building permits to the perception that some areas of the city get ignored while others get preferred treatment.

The behind door meetings, justified or not, add fuel to the fire when it comes to perception that many folks are not listened to and a public consultation process in the transportation sector that even the past Mayor identified as a problem.

When I see a candidate take accountability seriously in a platform, then I will take notice.

Right now none are.

In my highly biased personal opinion

C2E SME

I think one thing that makes me angry about transportation is that people don't seem to be talking. The city builds bike lanes on collector roads, but people complain about the lack of street parking or that it reduces the street down to one lane. Anybody elected to council will have to think of the city as a whole, rather than just their ward.

It's frustrating to see that some communities "just find out" about the input process after they miss the previous meetings.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    This arena blabbering has to stop. Who knows, Edmonton might actually debate real issues otherwise...
    If you feel that the people who don't support the arena deal are blabbering and that this is over and done with, please tell me why you keep returning to this thread?
    Some people create their own storms, and then get upset when it rains

It's frustrating to see that some communities "just find out" about the input process after they miss the previous meetings.
    That is a serious part of the problem...

It's all well and good to say "it's up to you to find you to if you think it's important" but in this world of both parents working (some working 2 jobs), school, getting kids to activities etc. the responsibility is the City's to keep the people informed.

In a perfect world agree with "it's up to you to find you to if you think it's important" , but this is far from a perfect world.

First One is Always Free

I think one thing that makes me angry about transportation is that people don't seem to be talking. The city builds bike lanes on collector roads, but people complain about the lack of street parking or that it reduces the street down to one lane. Anybody elected to council will have to think of the city as a whole, rather than just their ward.

Hmmm, you live in Sherwood Park but work in downtown Edmonton. Why are you concerned about neighbourhood parking? I don't understand your postings in this thread. You can't vote for our next Mayor.

First One is Always Free

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by thisiswilson View Post
    I believe the renovation would have left Rexall with 2000 less seats. That, and it's one of the oldest arenas in the league.
    Paul McCartney played two concerts at Rexall to accommodate his fans.

First One is Always Free

^ Any money saved by Diotte on "low taxes", will be wasted on reneging on the arena deal.

Wait until the city decides to fix up Rexall Place with taxpayers' money because the new arena wasn't built. We'll probably spend close to a billion dollars.
    What's with the "we". You live in Sherwood Park. Surely they have a website that you can post on.

What's with the "we". You live in Sherwood Park. Surely they have a website that you can post on.
    Members of the Capital Region Board representing 95% of the region's population supported Edmonton in applying for its allocation under the provincial Regional Collaboration Program. The City will submit the application as soon as the program's guidelines are defined

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...agreement.aspx

^This is the 'we' to your question.
    As for the people of Sherwood Park and other jurisdictions in the capital region. You seem to forget that a lot of people in this area work and shop in Edmonton. They also have season tickets for sports teams, they eat at restaurants, attend the movies and theatres and spend millions of dollars a year in the C of E. Maybe do some homework before being so flippant.

C2E SME

^I live in the Edmonton Region and yes I take an interest in Edmonton politics because Edmonton drives our whole economy.

Debate the issues, Complicated!

First One is Always Free

Yes, but you will not be voting in the Edmonton civic election. Do you really believe any of the candidates or their supporters seriously take into account your opinions. Capital region means you can vote in the Provincial Election. I'll just skip over your posts from this point on.

First One is Always Free

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post

Members of the Capital Region Board representing 95% of the region's population supported Edmonton in applying for its allocation under the provincial Regional Collaboration Program. The City will submit the application as soon as the program's guidelines are defined

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...agreement.aspx

^This is the 'we' to your question.
    As for the people of Sherwood Park and other jurisdictions in the capital region. You seem to forget that a lot of people in this area work and shop in Edmonton. They also have season tickets for sports teams, they eat at restaurants, attend the movies and theatres and spend millions of dollars a year in the C of E. Maybe do some homework before being so flippant.
    But they don't vote. Please refrain from the "do your homework" statements. Enjoy your debates.

^It's not about them voting it's about you saying they have not contributed to the arena. Typical Diotte supporter, narrow minded and uninformed. Go find a pothole to fix.

C2E SME

No, we don't vote in Edmonton elections, but we definitely share opinions with Edmonton voters, and we are still stakeholders.

^It's not about them voting it's about you saying they have not contributed to the arena. Typical Diotte supporter, narrow minded and uninformed. Go find a pothole to fix.
    Are people even proof reading their statements? Because lately I see a lot of instance of people doing exactly what they are critiquing others for.

First One is Always Free

Gemini, please stop calling me narrow-minded and uninformed. Name calling is not debate. Also stop labelling Diotte supporters. Here is the current status on the capital region $25m contribution.

"On May 9 members of the Capital Region Board representing 95% of the population served by the board supported Edmonton in applying for its allocation under the provincial Regional Collaboration Program. The City will submit the application as soon as the program’s guidelines are defined."

^What are you posting that for, I was the one that posted it first, even supplied the link. I am well aware of what it said. As for my profiling the type of people that will vote for Diotte, I'm entitled to my opinion just like you are in telling someone from Sherwood Park to post elsewhere without even thinking that very same person may own a business or property in C of E.

^What are you posting that for, I was the one that posted it first, even supplied the link. I am well aware of what it said. As for my profiling the type of people that will vote for Diotte, I'm entitled to my opinion just like you are in telling someone from Sherwood Park to post elsewhere without even thinking that very same person may own a business or property in C of E.
    It isn't profiling, its name calling, pure and simple.

^Cry me a river..................

Unreasonable response. You got called on it and deny it. Then you cry rivers about it.

The dialog could be one better without the "so and so supporters are fill in the blank"

You don't really think that contributes to interesting discussion do you?

Wait, your mom wears army boots.

Diotte supporters are wonderful people but..................
    There, does that make you feel better.
    Last edited by Gemini; 22-09-2013 at 07:02 PM.

First One is Always Free

Unreasonable response. You got called on it and deny it. Then you cry rivers about it.

The dialog could be one better without the "so and so supporters are fill in the blank"

You don't really think that contributes to interesting discussion do you?

Wait, your mom wears army boots.
    Thank you. I'm just not getting the name calling. I think I'm being forthright in stating that I support Diotte for Mayor.

Don iveson with me. Young, intelligent, and longterm for the city. He will make mistakes, but he has and honest demeanor and will correct himself for the better.

I don't care who wins as long as it's not Diotte.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

C2E SME

So one question I have. What do businesses and business owners think of Diotte. The way it appears to me is that he isn't and wouldn't be that friendly to businesses.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E SME

I'm not surprised that the Undecided vote is high, but I'm a bit surprised it was that high. I wonder if the survey asked voters which way they were "leaning".

This is very notable:
    More than half of Edmontonians believe the next mayor and council should focus on the city’s current issues and challenges, rather than on a long-term vision.
    It also very much matches what I hear my neighbors saying.

As to the poll

Being on line I'm not surprised at the results at all. It leans to a younger demographic and the results reflect it.

Not a shot at Iveson...more like a shot at online polls

Count me in as part of that 51% undecided.

I don't think Diotte is leadership materiel, and I am only lukewarm to both Leibovici and Iveson. But if I had to vote today, I'd probably decide while I'm in the booth.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    As to the poll

Being on line I'm not surprised at the results at all. It leans to a younger demographic and the results reflect it.

Not a shot at Iveson...more like a shot at online polls

Of course, we can't paint "online polls" with the same brush. There's a difference between online polls offered on, say, the front page of the Journal's website, and one done by a polling firm in more controlled conditions. I've been highly skeptical of online polls conducted by firms, but some of them are starting to yield strong results (YouGov's work for the Economist in the 2012 U.S. election, for instance, was very good and better than some traditional pollsters like Gallup).

I would like to say the jury's still out on Leger, but their 2011 online work was pretty solid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion...election,_2011

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast