Thread: The truck thread

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default The truck thread

It's time for a new truck. My old Toyota Tacoma has almost 400,000 km's on it, and is starting to get a littly to dicey for me to take on long trips. I just got back from a two week holiday, and had to rent a car at the last minute because a problem cropped up with my trusty old pickup and I didn't feel comfortable driving it on a 4000k road trip

Want something a little bigger and a 4 door. The three I am thinking about are the Toyota Tundra, Nissan Titan and the ubiquitous F-150. Also cautiously looking at a Ridgeline, but am not a huge fan of Hondas.

I am a big Toyota fan and like the Tundra, but the reliability ratings are a little less than stellar.. certainly nothing like how the Tacomas are rated. Also find the interiors are a little spartan.

Considering a Titan.... a friend has one and it has been really good to him so far. Prefer the interiors as well, never owned a Nissan so don't know what to expect.

Thinking of an F-150 just because they are so common, inexpensive and probably the only domestic I'd consider buying

My truck now is pretty much a garage queen and I don't see that changing with the new truck. Have held off on a new truck for a while now because I really don't drive hardly at all and we have a car for around town type stuff as required, but it's now time to upgrade to something more current and suitable for what I need it for.. anyone have any opinions on any of these... personal experiences, etc ?
    Parkdale

C2E Long Term Contributor

F-150 Raptor, done and done
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^ I don't think they come in a 4 door

Also hate how the front end looks and the whole graphics package is a little trashy.

If.. and that's a big if.. I went with the one-fitty route, It'd be of the much less ostentatious variety
    Parkdale

I ain't no pickup guy (raptor excluded), but if I was it would be F-150 all the way.

Pedigree, proven reliability, parts, used options, the standard
    www.decl.org

The insurance rates on the F 150's are horrid.. as a generalization.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E SME

We've had four 2006-2007 Titans used as work trucks. One was sold a few years ago, but we have the other three still. Two have been out and out work trucks being loaded with tools and materials, driven to jobsites and the like. They're beaten to heck, but those two are both over 200,000km and have been reasonably problem free other than routine maintenance. A few other things here and there, but given how poorly they've been treated by our guys, they've held up very well. The other one was used as a vehicle to transport guys to/from Ft McMurray for a couple years, and since has been used as a project manager's truck, so not really getting loaded up much, just commuting. It's been pretty much flawless.

That said, I do know of a couple guys who had either transfer case or transmission problems quite soon after buying Titans. Not sure about the exact circumstances, like if they were towing and such. One of our beaten up trucks has always made some clunky sounds when shifting in to drive or reverse, but it's never been an actual issue.

We've had some Fords and GM/Chevs as well, and to be honest I wouldn't say there's been any significant differences in problems or maintenance required. I think most manufacturers are pretty damn close these days, save for the occasional widespread recall. The exception to that being diesel Ford Cube Vans. Run far away, they are horrendous pieces of crap and will require huge maintenance on the engine.

I totally agree with your comments on the Raptors. I can't stand how they look, or who drives them.

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    ^ I don't think they come in a 4 door

Also hate how the front end looks and the whole graphics package is a little trashy.

If.. and that's a big if.. I went with the one-fitty route, It'd be of the much less ostentatious variety
    I can confirm you can get a four door, as my in-laws own a silver four door Raptor.

Their's came without decals. My father-in-law said he didn't want to attract attention. He must have changed his mind, as he got them added recently (I think they're free with the Raptor package).

If you buy a used one, they come off readily according to this post FordF150.net.

I suspect you could swap the grill for a standard F150 grill from pick-a-part place or grab a custom grill.

My in-laws seem to like it, though the poor thing lives the life of a garage queen, only coming out in the summer when there's no mud or rain around. I doubt they'll ever put the 4x4 part through its paces

I like the look of the exterior (especially the shiny blue shocks) and interior myself. I'm a rotund person, and was quite comfortable in the back seat.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The raptor is the defacto vehicle of young d-bags it seems. It just screams "I make a lot of money right out of high school and I'm going to blow it on anything with an engine"

Several friends have made the move to the new F-150 and are quite happy (two of them lifelong chev guys and the other an import guy).

The Raptors do seem to attract the Monster Energy white sunglass crowd, but as a truck it is pretty sweet.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I would echo Marcel's Ford diesel cube vans are crap sentiment.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

2014 Toyota Tundra review from James Healy of USAToday. I read his reviews all the time.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...-2014/2632939/
    It's not EIA it's YEG

Not sure what your budget is but I would be interested in the 2014 Ram 1500 with the 3.0L diesel and 8 speed transmission. Otherwise the new GMC sierra's with the all terrain package look really nice. And if you're looking for power I'd wait until GM releases their new 6.2's with 425hp.

^^ Better but still not great. I expect some compromises with Toyota, but the Tundra still has me wavering. And the price premium over my other two choices don't help. I probably wouldn't buy a brand new one anyways... probably one a few years old, and they seem to be more troublesome

^ I really don't like Chrysler products. I think they spend a little too much money styling their products to their target market, and too little money building a quality automobile. I think of the big 3, Chrysler falls far behind in the quality and longevity department. If I was leasing a vehicle for only 3 years and didn't care about longevity theoretically I might look at one, but that is not the case so a Chrysler product is out of the question
    Parkdale

C2E SME

My dad got rid of his Tundra after only a year. It was a nice enough truck and he didn't have any issues, but it was gutless for towing and the size of the fuel tank was laughable. I drove it down to Montana with a light car hauler containing 3 motorcycles, so maybe 5,000 lbs, and it could barely go 275 km between fills. Had to nurse it just to make it to Calgary. Whoever decided to put a barely 90L tank in a full size truck needs to be given a shake. Although maybe the fuel gauge was just extremely pessimistic: http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...-capacity.html

It was the Platinum Edition, so the interior and seats etc were awesome. Wish I had air conditioned seats in every vehicle I drove. Swass begone!
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 14-08-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Spent a part of saturday looking at new trucks.. Drove a 2012 F-150, 2011 Titan and 2011 Tundra

I think of all of them I liked the Titan the best. The F-150 is just too big.. don't need that much truck. The Tundra didn't impress me.

Took a 2012 Tacoma 4 door out for a spin, that's what I'll be buying I Think. It's bigger than my 1st Gen. Tacoma, but not nearly 1/2 ton size. Decent enough power, and I'll look past the plastic-y interior in favor of the superior quality and longevity that Tacomas are known for
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    Spent a part of saturday looking at new trucks.. Drove a 2012 F-150, 2011 Titan and 2011 Tundra

I think of all of them I liked the Titan the best. The F-150 is just too big.. don't need that much truck. The Tundra didn't impress me.

Took a 2012 Tacoma 4 door out for a spin, that's what I'll be buying I Think. It's bigger than my 1st Gen. Tacoma, but not nearly 1/2 ton size. Decent enough power, and I'll look past the plastic-y interior in favor of the superior quality and longevity that Tacomas are known for
    Get the super charger if you can. I have one on mine and I love it.

Toyotas quality is not what is used to be. If anyone is still thinking that Toyota is the quality king, you're living in the year 2000. The problems at Toyota range from engine sludge, frames that bend, transmission, and suspension issues. If you drive off with a Tacoma, I think you will regret it sooner than later. If you are looking for a mid size truck, there aren't many, and those that are aren't very good. The money is in the full size, so that is where companies put their efforts. I would seriously look at Ram. With Fiat taking it over, from about 2008, there is no better truck.
    mandel is a cry baby

^ I'll resectfully disagree... I would never, ever buy a Dodge product. Fiat not known to build quality vehicles either

I've known enough people with Tacomas (and Toyotas in general ) to believe that they are still at the top of the pile when it comes to quality and longevity. While the styling of the vehicles may not be as exciting as some would like, I don't think you can go wrong qith a Toyota Tacoma
    Parkdale

www.decl.org

^
    Holy mothertrucker...

Is that an actual model you can buy, or just a car show truck?

Not quite as big as Ian's pick, but I've actually seen one of these at Namao Canadian Tire.

I don't think 240 was looking for something quite as big as this or Ian's
    Last edited by Ustauk; 20-08-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    ^
    Holy mothertrucker...

May I introduce to you the F-650. It is a special offering, but can be had.
    www.decl.org

LOL.. yeah no. I don't even need a 1/2 ton..

But I did see this a few weeks ago driving around town.

Parkdale

IF... IFFF I ever got a truck, that would be it haha
    www.decl.org

Obscene!
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

LOL.. you know Ian, you do have good taste in architecture, but I have to say your taste in trucks is apalling
    Parkdale

Just curious if you don't need to haul a 1/2 ton why do youneed a truck at all? Seems like a SUV or minivan or crossover might be better suited for your needs??

^ I own a house (an old house) and we're in the process of buying another one that needs a tonne of updating, I find the truck super convenient for picking up materials and such. I want a 4 door truck because I want the ability to seat 4 people (or two people and two dogs as it most often happens) plus have the utility bed in the back to carry stuff... I go camping a lot and travel lots of back country, forestry, hydro line and fire roads in BC so a 4x4 with proper clearance is a must

Thought about a 4Runner instead of a Tacoma, but I like the idea of a utility cargo area that can be hosed out, makes throwing the clubs or the bikes in super easy.. that kind of thing

Minivan LOL... oh god no.
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^
    Holy mothertrucker...

May I introduce to you the F-650. It is a special offering, but can be had.
    F-650 cab & chassis used a lot for this type of thing too

Parkdale

^
    That makes sense. I also read its used for dump trucks. Unless your towing a truly monstrous trailer, buying such a pickup indicates someone wanting to flaunt their wealth and and like to show off. I still think it looks cool, in an over-the-top kind of way Thanks for posting the pic, Ian.

I like this Little Red Wagon

That will turn more heads than all those ***** trucks.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^Unless your towing a truly monstrous trailer, buying such a pickup indicates someone wanting to flaunt their wealth and and like to show off.
    Making up for something they are missing elsewhere....
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    My dad got rid of his Tundra after only a year. It was a nice enough truck and he didn't have any issues, but it was gutless for towing and the size of the fuel tank was laughable. I drove it down to Montana with a light car hauler containing 3 motorcycles, so maybe 5,000 lbs, and it could barely go 275 km between fills. Had to nurse it just to make it to Calgary. Whoever decided to put a barely 90L tank in a full size truck needs to be given a shake. Although maybe the fuel gauge was just extremely pessimistic: http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...-capacity.html

It was the Platinum Edition, so the interior and seats etc were awesome. Wish I had air conditioned seats in every vehicle I drove. Swass begone!

I have heard countless stories of both the Nissan and the Tundra about poor towing performance. Their tow ratings were (I haven't checked for two years now) very low and everyone that has pulled with them complained about the mileage.

As for the 90L tank - that is the size of my tank in my 2500 chev, and pretty standard for full size trucks - I can get about 350 km pulling 12k.

Time to get a new truck?

Why settle for a 4x4?

Mercedes G class 6x6

^ Meh.. those G-Wagens are for soccer moms and greasy guys with gold chains

I'd take an MB Unimog though.. that's a REAL truck !

Parkdale

^^
    Sweet! You'll need a Class Three license, since it has three axles, though.

^
    The Unimog looks sweet, too, and you only need Class Five license for it, too

^those are awesome, a guy in town cruises Jasper a lot.
    www.decl.org

^ come on IanO, the potholes are not that bad...

^maybe, maybe not... I drive a lowered S2000 with a track setup....
    www.decl.org

The Consumer Reports reliablity ratings for vehicles came out last week. Toyota Tundra at the top of the heap with the best reliability rating, and suprisingly, the Titan came in dead last. GM did as well as Ford, except for the Ford trucks turbo-charged "ecoboost" engines which rated well below average (no suprise there.. No american manufacturer has yet been able to build a high quality turbocharged engine) and the Dodges rated middle to low in the pack

I am leaning more towards a smaller truck now though. I think now that the smaller trucks are scoming with larger power plants (and are getting bigger themselves) That's all I will need. Honda Ridgelines rated very high along with the Tacoma, all others rated fairly low.
    Parkdale

I'm very happy with the Honda Ridgeline I bought almost a month ago.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

^ I went & test drove a Ridgeline on the weekend. The vehicle drove very much like a car due to being primarily a front wheel drive and what felt like a low centre of gravity. Thought the controls were well laid out, and the truck has a lot of really unique features that I liked. Interior was comfortable, good driving position, and lots of headroom.

The only interior component I didn't like were the spaceship style door pulls. Thought those were a little wierd looking. Also feel that the clearance is somewhat lacking, and due to what I'll be using it for, insufficient I think.

I've tried to like the exterior syling, but have come to the realization that I really don't like how they look. I'm also not a huge fan of how Hondas are put together... too many retaining clips and such holding things together.

Pretty much decided on a Tacoma 4WD 4 door SWB as pictured below. Now the hunt is on to find one that I like

Parkdale

Well just to wrap this up.. picked up my new truck last night... 2010 Tacoma quad cab 4WD TRD with the SR-5 power package, loaded with all the toys. It's got under 50,000k.. still like brand spankin' new. I hope it's as trusty and reliable as my old '98 Tacoma
    Parkdale