Thread: City wants restaurantís licence cancelled

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default City wants restaurantís licence cancelled

Manager Raja Mohammed (Mike) Nazir, his son Safeer Nazir and Thanous Apostolu were prohibited May 16 from any involvement in New York Pizza and Donair, 9715 118th Ave.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...878/story.html
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Frankly this comes as no surprise to Top_Dawg.

Top_Dawg's sejour at New York Pizza and Donair was hardly a memorable gastronomic experience.

Though adequate, the menu offerings lacked imagination, with nary a presence of gluten free alternatives - a grievous faux pas that can quickly summon the death knell in the nuevo-landscape of today's commercial kitchens.

And although the absence of emphasis on local ingredients can be overlooked when dishes exhibit flavour and flair, these unispired entrees were not saved by any culinary wizardry. Top_Dawg's palate discerned no interesting flavours nor textures that could salvage this repast.

Top_Dawg tried hard to find even one bright spot that could seed the thought of another visit but the dated decor and inattentive service only compounded the sense of ennui.

RIP.

New York Pizza and Donair will not be missed.

My wife's a bit of a night owl, so we've ordered from New York in the middle of the night. We stopped ordering from there after my wife's chef's salad turned out to be completely mouldy; we know they knew this because they had saturated it with ranch dressing to try and cover it up. After that dodgy meal, it doesn't surprise me that the owners would be performing other nefarious activities.

Another late night place, Columbus pizza, has food that tastes like crap.

If anyone needs food in the middle of the night, A Hot Pizza over on 109th street and 102 avenue (next to the 7-11 by Save-On-Foods) isn't too bad. As Top_Dawg's tongue-in-cheek review of New York implied, A Hot Pizza is not a gastronomic experience, but it was decent tasting food and we've never had any quality issues with them; it is probably the best of the extremely-late-night delivery options. You can also buy pizza by the slice there, if you want to sample before getting a bigger order.

A Hot Pizza - spend a few minutes watching how they "handle your food" and "handle other parts of their body" in between "handling cash".... no plastic gloves either, or washing in between those activities.

at least this was my experience, more than once, several years back. I doubt anything has changed.

Addicted to C2E

For pizza delivery, I stick to Pho Huong and Mama Pizza (an unusual combination for sure) on 107 Ave at 105 St, who amange to do a good job on both fronts (Pizza and Vietnamese food).

Been to NY Pizza/Donair a couple of times and was not impressed.

C2E Continued Contributor

My friend had delivery from New York Pizza about a year ago. When the delivery guy came he opened the trunk of his car and offered to sell him some beer as well. I don't think they have a licence to do that...

Quote Originally Posted by Mla View Post
    My friend had delivery from New York Pizza about a year ago. When the delivery guy came he opened the trunk of his car and offered to sell him some beer as well. I don't think they have a licence to do that...
    That's exactly what they're in trouble for; they're not licensed for liquor delivery, and they're selling contraband cigarettes.

Top_Dawg commends them for their entrepreneurial flair.

Just imagine how many times those fielding calls for pizza delivery must hear the ol' " Can your driver stop at the vendor's and pick-up a case of beer on the way over ? ".

These guys are thinkin'.

There are a number of late night places in the area where you can pull into the alley and get off sales out the back door.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Surprise!

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/10/1...ng-pizza-joint

Edmonton cops bust bootlegging pizza joint

FIRST POSTED: FRIDAY, OCTOBER 16, 2015 02:34 PM MDT
    Edmonton cops bust bootlegging pizza joint
    Beat officers got a tip about the unlicensed establishment near 97 Street and 118 Avenue allegedly selling alcohol after-hours.

Investigators believed booze was being both sold inside the shop as well as on delivery. Police then obtained a search warrant and a substantial amount of alcohol was seized at the location inside pizza boxes, in pre-packaged brown paper bags and inside delivery vehicles.

This pizza shop is probably shutdown for good by the city due to illegal activity there

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Naw, it will reopen tomorrow. Just a slap on the pee-pee.

First One is Always Free

Funny, 'cos New York and Columbus are the two most notorious fly by night pizza joints known for sending people round and sticking flyers under every hotel room door in the city. I've been dealing with these waterheads for years now...every time a guest comes down with one of their fyers and asks me, "Are these guys any good?" I always tell 'em the same thing: "You found that flyer stuffed under yer door, right? That's known as illegal solicitation. So ask yerself: if the business has to resort to illegal tactics in order to advertise, what does that tell you about the quality of the product?" Then more often than not I give them Pizza 73's number...or they opt for hanging tough till the morning when the hotel restaurant opens

It's a sad day when I learn that someone is producing a "pizza" product worse than Pizza 73.

Panago?

Damn, I remember hanging out in Calgary in the late 80's/early 90's and they had a half assed pizza joint (or I guess chain) called Panagopoulos. Not sure if it was in Edmonton at the time. Now, it's about as hit or miss as it comes. Whatever happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Naw, it will reopen tomorrow. Just a slap on the pee-pee.
    City can do that if they want to !!

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    It's a sad day when I learn that someone is producing a "pizza" product worse than Pizza 73.
    Only reason I suggest Pizza 73 to people is because out of all the pizza joints that are open late, it's the best of a bad lot!
    Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Panago?
    Christ, they have gotten pretty awful the last little while, eh? We used to order from Panago all the time- the last few times the pizza has just been bad...don't know what happened, but on the other hands it seems like non of the major pizza chain places are as good as they used to be...