Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AB Hotel Bar + Kitchen - Tavern 1903 is now closed

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default AB Hotel Bar + Kitchen - Tavern 1903 is now closed

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Had the pork belly appetizer there last night. Incredible.

Wanted to book a dinner party for a dozen people there for next Friday but they don't take reservations for any parties larger than six. Major bummer especially considering the space is perfect for a party of that size.

Seeing as they're in the heart of the hotel district (by the Mac and the Westin) they'd have plenty of occassion to book larger dinner parties for out-of-towners. Opportunity lost IMHO.

Just book two tables of six.

^ Not what they wanted. They wanted a single table which looked to be very easy to do. Was told a party that big is too much of a strain on the kitchen.

^That might get resolved that they realize the demand.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

I have a lunch meeting coming up next week...looks like I've got my venue picked out!

Do we know if there is a menu online? We've got some dietary restrictions in our party.

Best give them a call.
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

Decent beers on tap?
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Yellowhead and alley kat summer squeeze on tap, but lots of bottles.
    www.decl.org

I prefer them to have a website , so people will know about their menu.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Yellowhead and alley kat summer squeeze on tap, but lots of bottles.
    Local beers on tap, that's good enough for me!!

C2E event?
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

^not a bad idea... start it up!
    www.decl.org

Looky what I just saw on facebook

aaaaaaaaand

Now THAT would be a place to check out, say, oooh, tonight!

Impressed with how the bar (pun actually unintended - only noted belatedly) is being raised on not just the fencing - but the class of furniture.

Sweet.
    ... gobsmacked

www.decl.org

Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Went last night, had the buffalo mozza app, lobster roll, and solstice cocktail. Effin' incredible. The lobster roll was made with a delicious, incredibly rich, buttery brioche -- perhaps the best lobster roll I've ever had, and that's saying something.

Went today to check out the historical property. Little did I know that this establishment is closed on Sundays in ode to reflecting the Alberta bible belt sunday closures. Nice nostalgic touch. No wait, it isn't, much of downtown is closed or very limited hours on Sundays. This is for some reason accepted practice for many establishments downtown. Here, and nowhere else. How I always forget. (or am surprised how little its changing)

sigh

Is this a city?

Is this the new millennium?

Is this a free market economy?

its September, its bloody beautiful outside, sun shining most of the day, no wind, gorgeous day outside to sit on the patio drinking beer, and the whole establishment is closed. The establishment that just opened.

I have to say this is ridiculous. Can downtown come out of the dark ages and play anytime soon? This is a bloody working province. Most people have two days off where they can do something all day. Weekends. My first thought of this place is it would make a nice pre or post theatre drinks establishment. Nice feel to it, but closed on Sundays. Not just this Sunday, this is the business plan and lettering on door. Closed EVERY Sundays and on Holidays. jebus why not go one further and shoot for banking hours, lol

People seriously wonder why downtown can't compete? I can't find a place in my neighborhood or anywhere on the entire south side to go to for food or beverage that is closed on Sundays.

But downtown, hey why not, why work, why be open?
    Last edited by Replacement; 08-09-2013 at 10:50 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Sounds like the free market economy is working.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Sounds like the free market economy is working.
    Yeah, not in downtowns favor for sure. One more reason why everybody is in the burbs and patronizing burb business. In a 24/7 world the burbs are actually open for business and working.

Must be a message here. Its been the message for decades, downtown business not listening, not competitive.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^Keep in mind that the CBD of many/most cities have a lot of places closed on Sundays or with limited hours for this is their only real chance at a day off versus other establishments who close monday or tuesday.

More places then before are staying open Sundays then say 5-7 years ago and more need to, but many use this day as their day off...oh heaven forbid.

Perhaps come out of the dark ages and use your smart phone to check on their hours prior to coming...
    www.decl.org

Perhaps downtown needs to come out of the dark ages. Want to attract people? Stop closing so early. Only in this city does the downtown shops and restaurants shut down before the rest of the city.

A lot of places are closed Sundays (or close early on Sundays), even in Old Strathcona and in strip malls around the city.

My wife and I work some crazy schedules sometimes, and when we get the same day off together to go on a date, Sunday sucks for options all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Perhaps downtown needs to come out of the dark ages. Want to attract people? Stop closing so early. Only in this city does the downtown shops and restaurants shut down before the rest of the city.
    ^^you need to get out more then, for in many cities the CBD is quite quiet on Sundays because many shops close.

That said, there are still many others still open and available to patron.
    www.decl.org

^Keep in mind that the CBD of many/most cities have a lot of places closed on Sundays or with limited hours for this is their only real chance at a day off versus other establishments who close monday or tuesday.

More places then before are staying open Sundays then say 5-7 years ago and more need to, but many use this day as their day off...oh heaven forbid.

Perhaps come out of the dark ages and use your smart phone to check on their hours prior to coming...
    Get real.

I happened to be downtown. Due to our work schedules this is often the one day we have together to do stuff. Most any place I've ever seen or been to accommodates this quite well.

In this day and age I would expect a landmark facility that people have been crowing about for years to be open, and even have some long open hours. As I stated this is working city. Most people have weekends off. To be closed for half of that duration while in the business of selling food and beverage is absolutely asinine and a stupid business plan.

A beautiful patio drenched in sun sitting closed all day in one of the nicer days of the year. too bad. Would've made some business.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    A beautiful patio drenched in sun sitting closed all day in one of the nicer days of the year. too bad. Would've made some business.
    I agree with you, but this is a problem all over the city (i.e. places closed Sundays, no patios open on a nice afternoon, etc.).

Get real.

I happened to be downtown. Due to our work schedules this is often the one day we have together to do stuff. Most any place I've ever seen or been to accommodates this quite well.

In this day and age I would expect a landmark facility that people have been crowing about for years to be open, and even have some long open hours. As I stated this is working city. Most people have weekends off. To be closed for half of that duration while in the business of selling food and beverage is absolutely asinine and a stupid business plan.

I'd love to see it open as much or more than you, let me be clear here, but I can appreciate that people want a day off... especially in an industry that is often 12-14hr days. Sunday obviously makes the most sense to them.

Other patios open that you could have opted for:

Sherlocks, Hotel Mac, Marriott, Remedy, 3 Bananas, Vipilay, Kelly's, Wild Flower, Lit after 4, Social, Hoang Long, Earls, Joeys, Cocodi's, etc.etc.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I agree with you, but this is a problem all over the city (i.e. places closed Sundays, no patios open on a nice afternoon, etc.).
    I was curious about your post earlier because I haven't really come across a lot of places that are closed on Sundays outside of downtown. When they are they are usually family based businesses and try to get one day off which I can certainly understand. The Alberta Hotel isn't a family endeavor. People are willing to work Sundays all over the city. There really is nothing to prevent this.

Get real.

I'd love to see it open as much or more than you, let me be clear here, but I can appreciate that people want a day off... especially in an industry that is often 12-14hr days. Sunday obviously makes the most sense to them.

Other patios open that you could have opted for:

Sherlocks, Hotel Mac, Marriott, Remedy, 3 Bananas, Vipilay, Kelly's, Wild Flower, Lit after 4, Social, Hoang Long, Earls, Joeys, Cocodi's, etc.etc.
    The wife and I are well over 50 yrs. Perhaps you don't perceive this a lot at your age but outside of a few places you mention you walk into one of those establishments and feel like its not meant for you within minutes. You feel it doesn't cater to your demographic, tastes, or interests. So some of these really aren't enjoyable options.

We've been to the Mac several times. WE were looking for a similar, but different place.

Cocodi's several times although I really don't like the new location and have grown out of the establishment. Joeys, Earls, nah, I feel like I'm in one of those pretty people adverts. Or back in highschool.

Wildflower is always sold out on a Sunday, you probably know this.

3 Bananas? The vibe anywhere around Churchill Square when something isn't going on is rather bleak. Yet again on Sunday there was an ambulance and police car because there'd been yet another incident around the Library across the street. With at least 20 young thugs fleeing the area.
    I've said this many times but this is often hang out turf for some pretty unsavory elements. Why or how the city allows this to occur in this area is beyond me but has been going on for years.

^then write them and implore them to get out of the dark ages, they obviously do not know their business or how to run great restaurants.
    www.decl.org

I was curious about your post earlier because I haven't really come across a lot of places that are closed on Sundays outside of downtown. When they are they are usually family based businesses and try to get one day off which I can certainly understand. The Alberta Hotel isn't a family endeavor. People are willing to work Sundays all over the city. There really is nothing to prevent this.
    Does the place have one head chef only at this time? If that's the case, giving the person one day off would pretty much be a necessity. Once they can train a sous-chef to the same standard, they might be open on a Sunday.

^then write them and implore them to get out of the dark ages, they obviously do not know their business or how to run great restaurants.
    Its interesting that you're being so sarcastic on the topic of hand. Because I don't think I'm incorrect in mentioning this. People actually imbibe on Sundays. With the vast majority of establishments catering to this fact. Again I'm hardpressed to think of any resto bar in the city closed on Sunday anywhere other tan downtown. Not that I frequent watering holes by any means.

Also Ian, if you want to adopt that condescending mood I can remind you of some exchanges where you were trying to tell Sobeys on 104st what their business plan and policy should be. Or what extents you and others took to doing that. Unsuccessfully I might add. Funny how that works.
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-09-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Does the place have one head chef only at this time? If that's the case, giving the person one day off would pretty much be a necessity. Once they can train a sous-chef to the same standard, they might be open on a Sunday.
    I could stand to be corrected on this but when the business stencilled gold lettering on the window states implicitly "closed on Sundays and holidays" I think its part of the business plan ongoing. I don't think its changing.

I'm sure if they noticed that there was a lineup outside every Sunday, that could be repainted pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    I'm sure if they noticed that there was a lineup outside every Sunday, that could be repainted pretty quickly.
    Not many lineups form when people are milling about noticing the place is somehow closed. We weren't the only ones pressing noses to window.

Not a big deal I guess, we found other things to do. It was enjoyable anyway. But I do think its a continuing problem downtown that needs addressing.

Its interesting that you're being so sarcastic on the topic of hand. Because I don't think I'm incorrect in mentioning this. People actually imbibe on Sundays. With the vast majority of establishments catering to this fact. Again I'm hardpressed to think of any resto bar in the city closed on Sunday anywhere other tan downtown. Not that I frequent watering holes by any means.

Also Ian, if you want to adopt that condescending mood I can remind you of some exchanges where you were trying to tell Sobeys on 104st what their business plan and policy should be. Or what extents you and others took to doing that. Unsuccessfully I might add. Funny how that works.
    Businesses choose their hours, so be it, demonstrate enough demand/write them and perhaps this will change.

Again, i'd be happy to patron Tavern if open on a Sunday and maybe it will be eventually, but it just opened and likely needs to sort out a few things. I don't blame them being closed 1 day a week at all.

That said, I hope you return for it is delicious.
    www.decl.org

Businesses choose their hours, so be it, demonstrate enough demand/write them and perhaps this will change.

Again, i'd be happy to patron Tavern if open on a Sunday and maybe it will be eventually, but it just opened and likely needs to sort out a few things. I don't blame them being closed 1 day a week at all.

That said, I hope you return for it is delicious.
    Undoubtedly we will check it out Ian. Although its not a given we both get Saturdays off to be able to do that. I prefer going downtown on days off.

But I am older, I've been around longer, so I'll tell you a story. Back in the province when the Socreds and Aberhart were still running things here this was a through and through bible belt. No sunday store openings, certainly no bars open on a sunday and few restaurants either. When bars were open women had to drink in separate areas then men and with secure walls in between. Never the twain shall meet..
    Along with the ALCB lording over booze it was as if prohibition of a type was still in place. Things were repressive here and well into the 60's. Not at all liberated as people might imagine.
    But heres the deal, as soon as govt changed, attitudes changed, legislation changed there was an interesting free market instance that happened. Some bars decided they would open on Sundays and some establishments tried to stay the course and steadfastly refused to open on Sundays. But what was quickly found is that the establishments that were open on Sundays and longer hours developed more patrons, repeat customers, and were overwhelmingly winning market share. People would even note the establishments that were holding onto staid, repressive sunday closing and actively AVOID those establishments out of principal. It was almost like a freedom in a way. Once people can drink or go out on Sundays they don't want to be told not to.

The motto being the Sunday closing lost market share, lost customers, lost businesses. This is not an isolated phenomenon either. Every day you are closed and other establishments are open you lose potential customers.

I'm not saying me, I'm just saying. This shouldn't need to be spelled out.
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-09-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Although Tavern 1903 is a nice space with solid fare, I have so far been unimpressed with their attitude. I think because of the combination of the space they're in and that it's related to the Hardware Grill they only have to be "good enough" and when they're open, they're doing us a favour. Perhaps some of the elitist attitudes from Hardware Grill are making it across the street. I've heard that from a friend of mine in the industry.

In short, in the middle of the tourist district with our convention centre across the street and the two biggest hotels in town a block away, there is no excuse for them not being open Sunday.

A place with an attitude like theirs wouldn't last long in a city with real competition in this category. Say a city like Toronto, Vancover or (wait for it) Calgary...

I was curious about your post earlier because I haven't really come across a lot of places that are closed on Sundays outside of downtown.
    I remember one Sunday afternoon (around 1:00pm) my wife and I wanted to have lunch. We tried the Keg on the North side near St Albert (chain restaurants are usually the only ones open Sundays), but it was closed. We instead went to Whyte Ave because we needed to pick up something from a store there anyway, and found most restaurants there were closed, too.

If I remember correctly, we went to the lounge at the Hotel MacDonald that day for a late lunch/early supper.

Sunday service is spotty.

^Foolish reply.

I'm not aware of many establishments other than mom and pops where the same people have to work all the hours.

Anyhow welcome to the new 24/7 millennium. Most places are open long hours and on sundays. If businesses downtown want to compete then they need to wake up and smell the roses.

I have no vested interest in this. Just raising what has been an ongoing issue for the downtown in general and prevents its commercial success.

Its one reason why the burbs get so much more of the business and patrons. Not hard to understand.

C2E Posting Power

Anyway enough abo0ut hours of operation and back to discussing this restaurant...... Tried it last night. Was a great evening to be on the patio, which was fairly busy, but inside was quiet. Food was good, but found the portions to be small. Prices for main plates are in the $20 - $30 range, which is about the going rate for this type of restaurant. My wife had the salmon dish, which she absolutely loved. I had the pork dish, which was okay, but nothing to rare about and not something I would have again. Menu looks interesting and we will go back to try some other dishes.......

^Foolish reply.
    Get lost.

The idea that a pub that is just starting out should be the first one out of the gate with longer hours and 7day/week service is what I take issue with. If demand was there, they'd be open. Simple as that. 3 or 4 people showing up when they're closed and demanding better hours does not mean that there is adequate demand to warrant different hours.

^Foolish reply.
    Get lost.

^Foolish reply.
    Get lost.
    I wasn't referring to your post. A post that was offensive that I replied to got deleted.

But I will not get lost.

Thank you everyone for your two cents... Wouldn't it be nice if we all got what we wanted all the time. Well thank goodness we are adults and we know that isn't possible. Tavern 1903 is actually owned by two very talented individuals who not only run Tavern 1903 but also run another fine establishment and have a family to take care of. They are busy ppl and deserve at least a day off, I'm sure if Mondays were closed you would all be bitching about that too, as it happens they chose Sunday. From my experience Sundays are hit and miss and I've worked many a Sunday lunch/brunch where only two ppl show up.!so instead of making a big deal about it that a local and family owned business only works 6 days a week from 11 am till midnight, why don't you rise to the occasion and plan a nice picnic or dinner at home. What happened to people who had some understanding and cooking ability that they need to run out for a bite to eat everyday of the week!

As a side note the concept is supposed to be a sharing concept.... Which means ordering more small dishes to share, hence portions are a little small but also priced accordingly. The menu draws on a lot of local foods and cheeses, as well as beers and spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by Citybee View Post
    Thank you everyone for your two cents... Wouldn't it be nice if we all got what we wanted all the time. Well thank goodness we are adults and we know that isn't possible. Tavern 1903 is actually owned by two very talented individuals who not only run Tavern 1903 but also run another fine establishment and have a family to take care of. They are busy ppl and deserve at least a day off, I'm sure if Mondays were closed you would all be bitching about that too, as it happens they chose Sunday. From my experience Sundays are hit and miss and I've worked many a Sunday lunch/brunch where only two ppl show up.!so instead of making a big deal about it that a local and family owned business only works 6 days a week from 11 am till midnight, why don't you rise to the occasion and plan a nice picnic or dinner at home. What happened to people who had some understanding and cooking ability that they need to run out for a bite to eat everyday of the week!

As a side note the concept is supposed to be a sharing concept.... Which means ordering more small dishes to share, hence portions are a little small but also priced accordingly. The menu draws on a lot of local foods and cheeses, as well as beers and spirits.
    What absolute claptrap. Why not work a day that is BUSIER than Monday?

Its no mystery to anybody even remotely associated with restobars that Monday is a dead day that it doesn't really matter If you are open. Tuesday not being much better. Friday Saturday are obviously the hot days for bars but for Restaurants Sundays would be next in line. Pretty stupid day to be closed.
    lol at your suggestion that people don't go for a bite on a Sunday. Every hotel or restaurant in the world that offers a Sunday Brunch notwithstanding.

Common sense isn't dead. But it tends to be in some of these Sunday opening discussions.

Downtown restaurants/bars essentially a couple strategies. Stay open every day M-F and milk the weekday business for the limited population that happen to work/live downtown. Or consider servicing the rest of the city that tends to visit downtown mostly on weekends.

Guess what approach grows your potential customer draw?

Not rocket science. Most people are off on Sundays and looking for things to do, places to go. With a nice meal being one of those things which restaurants everywhere else in the city seem to realize.

^What absolute claptrap.

Who made it a law that you have to be open Sunday's?

A private business can be closed any day or days they choose. That is why it is called a private business. If the bar wanted to be closed Friday nights and Saturdays because the owners were Jewish, that is their choice. I travel to a lot of cities and you see business that are open only certain days. We used to have a furniture store called "The Weekend Store" that was only open on weekends. With the high cost of staff and the short supply, management makes the decisions, not Replacement.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

It's almost as if this business is right in the middle of the conference and business traveler area of town, and they understand that the majority of their business is going to come from this demographic and the downtown business lunch crowd...so it makes more sense for them to be open on a Monday than a Sunday at this point. At some point in the future when more hotels and residential go up in downtown maybe they'll change hours. At this point, staying open just to satisfy the relatively small crowd who don't bother to make a reservation or look into when the restaurant is actually open doesn't make much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    ^What absolute claptrap.

Who made it a law that you have to be open Sunday's?

A private business can be closed any day or days they choose. That is why it is called a private business. If the bar wanted to be closed Friday nights and Saturdays because the owners were Jewish, that is their choice. I travel to a lot of cities and you see business that are open only certain days. We used to have a furniture store called "The Weekend Store" that was only open on weekends. With the high cost of staff and the short supply, management makes the decisions, not Replacement.
    I was merely invoking that the facility would make more on a Sunday than they would on a Monday. A slamdunk at that. This is located next to the Arts district. Whenever the Citadel, Winspear, have events Sundays tend to be one of the better days. Theres a solid pre, post audience there and several restaurants DO piggy back on that providing promotions specifically for Citadel audiences. I guess if a restaurant a block away wants to ignore that while restaurants within several blocks see the value they can.

Will they still be ignoring it when the big rink opens? People have more time to go pre/post dinner on a Sunday then they do on a Monday.

It's almost as if this business is right in the middle of the conference and business traveler area of town, and they understand that the majority of their business is going to come from this demographic and the downtown business lunch crowd...so it makes more sense for them to be open on a Monday than a Sunday at this point. At some point in the future when more hotels and residential go up in downtown maybe they'll change hours. At this point, staying open just to satisfy the relatively small crowd who don't bother to make a reservation or look into when the restaurant is actually open doesn't make much sense.
    When did it stop making sense catering to a walk up audience? Seriously?

The vast majority of restaurant seatings would be walk up with some downtown exceptions. But heres another thing. If a place that just opens up wants to gain some market share you try harder. You realize for instance that people from the burbs generally don't make reservations for restaurants and don't have that as a habit because it would rarely be necessary.

More specifically lets realize as well that the 1903 does not happen to be a facility where any reservations are required any day of the week. I imagine if it was, and it had already had tons of business this discussion wouldn't be taking place.

Default What claptrap

I was born into the industry. Monday vs. Sunday isn't much different! Both days are slow, but we are catering more to downtown business who are not open Sundays, so it makes far more sense to be open Monday. And at this point we serve breakfast and supper, with a mozzarella bar open all day, if we opened Sundays then we would have to figure out a brunch too which would mean prep for three different services... If you have ever seen our kitchen it is limited in space so we have adapted to our situation maybe you Sunday hardcores should do the same... FYI zinc in the art gallery is always open for Sunday brunch... Go there! I've worked there for many years and Sundays was dead. So give them a reason to stay open!

One more thing to note with a family-run business is that for ten months of the year parents cannot spend a full day with their children (quality time, run errands, do medical appointments) on a Monday, and can do so on a Sunday. I won't begrudge the restaurant runners a chance for themselves and their staff to spend time with their families.

When did it stop making sense catering to a walk up audience? Seriously?

The vast majority of restaurant seatings would be walk up with some downtown exceptions. But heres another thing. If a place that just opens up wants to gain some market share you try harder. You realize for instance that people from the burbs generally don't make reservations for restaurants and don't have that as a habit because it would rarely be necessary.

More specifically lets realize as well that the 1903 does not happen to be a facility where any reservations are required any day of the week. I imagine if it was, and it had already had tons of business this discussion wouldn't be taking place.
    They do cater to a walk-up audience WHEN THEY CHOOSE TO BE OPEN!!! Right off the facebook page

Please join us, we are now open Monday to Saturday 11am to Midnight. Our patio is open and is one of the nicest in Edmonton.
    Visit our web page www.Tavern1903.com

Or call for reservations at 780 424 0152
    Bar stools and bar patio reserved for drop-ins
    They are quite clearly catering to the downtown crowd. The notion that they should cater to the suburban crowd, be open at any time when someone might by chance feel like dropping by without bothering to check the hours, etc. is ridiculous.

Might as well demand a kid's menu and free parking too, since people from the suburbs would probably be used to all of that too (according to you)

I was merely invoking that the facility would make more on a Sunday than they would on a Monday. A slamdunk at that. This is located next to the Arts district. Whenever the Citadel, Winspear, have events Sundays tend to be one of the better days. Theres a solid pre, post audience there and several restaurants DO piggy back on that providing promotions specifically for Citadel audiences. I guess if a restaurant a block away wants to ignore that while restaurants within several blocks see the value they can.

Will they still be ignoring it when the big rink opens? People have more time to go pre/post dinner on a Sunday then they do on a Monday.
    Sundays are hit and miss for restaurants, especially if brunch is not offered. Everyone in the industry will agree Sunday is the slowest day of the week for sales. A long-time industry secret is you don't eat out at restaurants on Sundays and Mondays because usually the best chefs/cooks are off that day.

As for restaurants piggy-backing on being near the Arts District, its NOT a slam dunk. Look at Normand's Bistro in the Citadel Theatre. Many restaurants occupied that space over the decades and all of them failed without much longevity (hopefully Normand's would be the exception).

Further, when it comes to Sunday performances of theatre or concerts, I guarantee that the post concert audience will be non-existent. People just go home and get ready for Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post

Sundays are hit and miss for restaurants, especially if brunch is not offered. Everyone in the industry will agree Sunday is the slowest day of the week for sales. A long-time industry secret is you don't eat out at restaurants on Sundays and Mondays because usually the best chefs/cooks are off that day.

As for restaurants piggy-backing on being near the Arts District, its NOT a slam dunk. Look at Normand's Bistro in the Citadel Theatre. Many restaurants occupied that space over the decades and all of them failed without much longevity (hopefully Normand's would be the exception).

Further, when it comes to Sunday performances of theatre or concerts, I guarantee that the post concert audience will be non-existent. People just go home and get ready for Monday.
    A lot of those restaurants at Citadel simply weren't any good, some of them were bad. One of them I felt sick afterwards.

Normands Bistro is better and doing fine on theatre nights.

I was specifically looking for stats/projections on when restaurants are most busy (day of week) but have trouble parsing that out. Found a couple sources suggesting Sunday is a good day (and in my anecdotal experience it is in the burbs at least) but I haven't found great sources.

Anyhow its just a discussion, my points weren't specific to 1903. More an ongoing discussion on downtown opening hours as we approach a new arena being built downtown and open restaurants being required with longer hours hopefully.

^^Alex
    You're not really seeing my point, which is fine. No use continuing the discussion in lieu of me coming up with data to support restaurant business projections and data by day of week. It would be interesting to see some major studies on that. All we have in the discussion is anecdotal case instances rather than extensive study.

I say that all the establishments that offer at least Sunday breakfast/brunch probably got it right and that theres a huge audience in the city for that sort of thing and time to go out for nibbles.

ps I expect to make reservations for Sunday brunches. Its because they're so busy the industry turns people away. The notion that there is no Sunday business to be had seems inconsistent with that.

I was born into the industry. Monday vs. Sunday isn't much different! Both days are slow, but we are catering more to downtown business who are not open Sundays, so it makes far more sense to be open Monday. And at this point we serve breakfast and supper, with a mozzarella bar open all day, if we opened Sundays then we would have to figure out a brunch too which would mean prep for three different services... If you have ever seen our kitchen it is limited in space so we have adapted to our situation maybe you Sunday hardcores should do the same... FYI zinc in the art gallery is always open for Sunday brunch... Go there! I've worked there for many years and Sundays was dead. So give them a reason to stay open!
    Thanks for the feedback, information. Zinc definitely isn't my cup of tea.

Theres lots of us Sunday hardcores btw. We'll continue to go to the Mac I guess where they make a killer business on Sunday brunch as does any hotel or establishment that offers one around the city.

Understood that this establishment doesn't wish to do that which is fine.

What are you guys going to do with the "we're doing you a favour by being open for you" attitude? Again, if you were in a city with real culinary competition you'd have your *** kicked.

...instead of making a big deal about it that a local and family owned business only works 6 days a week from 11 am till midnight, why don't you rise to the occasion and plan a nice picnic or dinner at home. What happened to people who had some understanding and cooking ability that they need to run out for a bite to eat everyday of the week!
    I was with you up until you spouted off this little rant.

Some of us work and cook for our family every single day, and Sunday is the only day we have to relax as well. Sometimes that includes letting someone else cook for us so we have more time to visit.

I'm not trying to convince you to open on Sunday, but don't think for a second that people who want to go out on a Sunday don't know how to cook, or like to go out every single day of the week.

...instead of making a big deal about it that a local and family owned business only works 6 days a week from 11 am till midnight, why don't you rise to the occasion and plan a nice picnic or dinner at home. What happened to people who had some understanding and cooking ability that they need to run out for a bite to eat everyday of the week!
    I was with you up until you spouted off this little rant.

Some of us work and cook for our family every single day, and Sunday is the only day we have to relax as well. Sometimes that includes letting someone else cook for us so we have more time to visit.

I'm not trying to convince you to open on Sunday, but don't think for a second that people who want to go out on a Sunday don't know how to cook, or like to go out every single day of the week.
    Touché ! That was inconsiderate of me. It's just hard opening a business and it's demanding, the Stewart's are awesome to work for and give so much of themselves. Everyone deserves a day off and I get frustrated when it's only been two weeks that we've been open and all we get are complaints. I realize it's a complaint against the city of edmonton too, but lets face it it's edmonton, not Paris or New York or whatever you want to compare us too. Actually it raises a funny memory for me when I was in Portugal and everything shut down for Sopa at lunch, people in the afternoon bake their time off and every closes for an hr or two. Edmonton is its own beast, things will change as people change, one never leaps ahead of the other too far. In the meantime Sundays is a day off for us staff at Tavern 1903.... Who knows it may change but right now it is what it is and I'm glad that we are given a day of rest.

Visited Tavern 1903 for the first time earlier today - impressed with the look of the place and the choice of beers & food. I was especially happy about the lack of loud music! (does it get louder later in the evening?).

It certainly gets busier, a lot more ppl come for supper and drinks which can make it noisy, but the music doesn't get louder.

Thanks Citybee - that's good to know!

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Went to Tavern 1903 last night around 9pm. Was very busy and had a great buzz. Dining room was full and the waitress told me that resos are plentiful for it, which is a great sign. We managed to grab a table in the bar. I love how the bar and the dining room are two very distinct rooms. The bar only served a snacks/appz portion of the menu, which is understandable, but you can get the mozza bar in there which is important and delicious! We just had a couple drinks and the charcuterie plate, but it was very good. Service was great, atmosphere was wikkid. There was some nice background music, just the right volume. I will defo be back for drinks again soon and dinner is a must-do as I really liked their menu.

All we need now is a fresh condo tower or two on 96st to get east Jasper bumping. I'm hoping the hotel will be the catalyst there.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I peeked in last Thursday and the dining area was completely full, and the pub area had a few customers as well.

It looks like this place will do well. I can't wait to try it.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Great review of the place in the Journal today:
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...055/story.html

Sounds about right. Been twice, enjoyed it both times. Service was a bit off, but likely to improve.
    www.decl.org

Went before Pecha Kucha last Saturday. Great space, was packed. Love how it animates that sections of Jasper Ave now. Just need to have one or two more people upfront and they'll be fine. Signature Tavern 1903 Caesar was very tasty - bacon and fresh mozzarella.
    www.decl.org

(rant)

Went Friday night. After the Citadel. 10 O clock and most tables sitting empty in restaurant despite a packed Citadel theatre crowd just getting out. Virtually the only people there had bee lined from the Citadel. But not to worry as Restaurant was largely empty and about 10 people in the bar.

We got our pick of tables but I'm already thinking trouble because this place sure hasn't retained any crowd. Its literally dead on a Friday night. Reservations? We could've walked in with a graduating class..

Have to ask for menus, apparently were supposed to know what to order as if the place only caters to regulars. Have to ask for water. We had a choice of water and some other water. Couldn't tell as waiter mumbled something disinterested. I responded "um, could you just pour the water, any water, thanks."

Looked over the menus again, and again, looked backward, forward, upside down not believing this is a one page fold menu.

Noted that nearly one half of the Menu is Mozzarella. Which is not just a food group here but apparently half of what they serve. Bile rises up in my stomach at the thought of a mozzarella combo plate.

No soups (one on the menu which wasn't available) waiter mumbles they usually have other soups but he doesn't think they have it on supper menu. He doesn't know what those soups are, if they are available, and didn't come back to clarify if we could order a soup, any soup.

Everything on the menu is weird with strange descriptions, items I've never heard of before anywhere. I guess I've been in a dark cave and don't know what a Burrata is. I still don't as neither the waiter or menu is at all interested in describing what it actually is. I've narrowed it down that its probably some nature of *food*, that comes on a plate, probably.

Next frustration is that the menu in the restaurant is not the same as the one online. Arugula salad not available, not on the menu. Thai salad with Grilled Chicken breast (about the only thing I'd remotely even want to order wasn't on menu either but is listed in website menu) After 2 visits from the waiter trying to establish if anything in this establishment fell within our interests or diet we finally leave frustrated not the least because the menu is basically incomprehensible and chock full of strange items like Potato confit (what the hell is that) KFC Cauliflower (um, next) and Crispy pork belly (yech) and of course Duck confit tacos. The ingredients of which sounded horrible.

The only menu I've ever seen that requires a dictionary. Apparently a 5 language dictionary.

Man if you love mozzarella, bacon, or duck, or pork belly, or mac n cheese, this place is for you. Not much for anybody that even remotely wants reasonably healthy food or to even remotely know what they are ordering.

Oh, and the restaurant decor is boring and lacking any kind of distinction. Faux wood paneling, cheap furniture, cheap tables, cheap light fixtures, uncomfortable, crowded tables (for no apparent reason as most are empty).

The bar looked good. Almost felt like going there after the experience in the restaurant but figured they might have a draft selection of infused truffle duck confit beer. Quickly walked out thinking better of it. Went to Confederation Lounge in the Mac instead. Won't be going back to 1903 ever. Well, maybe for a beer..byob

For those that go though word to the wise. Each menu item will have one or more terms on it you probably have to ask about unless mystery is your thing. You'd swear the menu isn't written in any known language. Oh, and whatever you do don't order the Pork belly confit chimchurri mortarda burrata with special chipotle ailoia pecorino. The adjectives will give you heartburn for sure. Could a menu be anymore obtuse?

This place should be on a Monty Python skit.

I think I'll have the parrot..

edit; Burrata is more mozzarella cheese. Just researched this. I thought it was a salad of some sort as the two varieties were listed on the salad section. Who knew. Good thing I didn't order it. Looks like more than half the menu is mozzarella cheese.
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-11-2013 at 10:41 AM.

^Sounds like all you wanted was a beer and a burger and fries. Might not be the place to get that.

I personally am happy with their food selection, and that it is being changed up. I'd love to have the pork belly confit chimchurri mortarda burrata with special chipotle ailoia pecorino please. Otherwise I'd just go to McDonald's.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    ^Sounds like all you wanted was a beer and a burger and fries. Might not be the place to get that.

I personally am happy with their food selection, and that it is being changed up. I'd love to have the pork belly confit chimchurri mortarda burrata with special chipotle ailoia pecorino please. Otherwise I'd just go to McDonald's.
    No, actually I'd like to be able to sit down in an establishment like this and be able to order one thing that doesn't make my stomach turn. I'm actually a healthy eater, never set foot in a McDonalds, and I like to actually remotely know what I'm ordering off a menu. Too much of an expectation I guess and they don't have interpreters at the restaurant. The waiter we had didn't have any more knowledge of the selections than we did. The 1903 menu being so needlessly cryptic that I can't even tell what something is off looking at the menu. Next time I'll bring a foodie along to decipher.

Plus that its one more establishment that just pawns off the latest buzz word adjectives and selections. Everything on the menu is confit, infused, candied bacon, or something. I prefer good food to places that just chase after all the latest little trends. tbh I don't even know what this food is or what its even trying to be. Some trendy fusion something garbage.

lol, heres another one, wouldn't even know what this is till it hit the table then I'd still wonder.

Grilled Radicchio-Wrapped Chevre

Fire Cracker Tomatoes, Aged Sherry Vinaigrette
    you can't detect that this is menu writing that is being purposely obtuse? I have no clue from this what the above item is.

I like salmon, but would I like this? Theres 2 things here I've never heard of before;

<H6 class=menu-title2>Pan-Roasted Salmon

Roast Confit Potatoes, Arugula & Corn, Avocado-Lime Vierge
    </H6>

Um, what is a vierge? Still wondering what potatoes confit is. Wasn't even able to google that one. I know what arugula is but that's a bit out there as well.

or. not that I'd order it but theres half a dozen dictionary citations needed in the following;

<H6 class=menu-title2>Steak and Egg

Alberta Flat Iron Steak with Ancho-Coffee Rub, Bacon Jam, Meat Glaze, Grilled Pullman Loaf, Wild Mushroom Ragout, Tallegio Cheese, Sunny-Side Farm Egg
    </H6>
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-11-2013 at 05:56 PM.

The lunch menu would probably be more your speed. It's pretty straightforward. Although I'm the type of person who isn't afraid to order something that a) I've never tried before, and b) if I'm not entirely sure what it is. New experiences and all.

That said, the waiter sounds terrible. The waitress who served us when we were there was pleasant and answered all of our questions, which we definitely had due to dietary restrictions.

The lunch menu would probably be more your speed. It's pretty straightforward. Although I'm the type of person who isn't afraid to order something that a) I've never tried before, and b) if I'm not entirely sure what it is. New experiences and all. If I had ordered the Burrata I would have had to leave it all on the plate. Although under circumstance I would've refused to pay for it.

That said, the waiter sounds terrible. The waitress who served us when we were there was pleasant and answered all of our questions, which we definitely had due to dietary restrictions.
    I like new experiences more than you might think. Provided that they don't make me feel sick. Been a healthy eater for decades. I literally feel ill if I have to start eating cheese or butter, or fat, bacon or grizzle or some such thing. I'm far from alone as well and a lot of people have sensitivities in regards to food.

The waiter was entirely unhelpful when I asked what could be afforded that was fairly healthy, low fat, what options were there that met our not atypical restrictions. He had none. He had a quizzical look on his face the whole time. Without answering our question he asked if we're ready to order..

I realise I'm being ridiculous in the rant format but I give in to that sometimes for some fun. But that aside my concerns with the menu descriptions is perfectly reasonable. When something sounds like its supposed to be a salad, and really its a block of cheese listed in the salad section, that's a problem. That's a problem for a LOT of people that are conscientious at all about what they eat. I'm surprised there hasn't been more comments to that effect on yelp or urbanspoon. Those complaints occur, and they will with this restaurant given time.

Plus that I find it a bit odd that I'm a person that eats how one is SUPPOSED to eat in terms of sound food choices and yet so few establishments seem to cater to sensible eating. Why is that? In a different universe wouldn't trained chefs WANT to emulate, provide, role model healthy eating? Why not? Seems odd business to cull your customers.

Understand as well that when I was your age I probably could eat any kind of junk and put it into my body with very little consequence. When you get a couple decades older (or more) you think a bit more wisely about that kind of thing. No food is good enough tasting that I allow it to make me sick.
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-11-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Okay, don't go back. Your page long diatribe on it being too wordy and too rich is taken.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Those ingredients aren't particularly difficult to decipher.

Radicchio is a purple leaf and chèvre is goat cheese.

Fire cracker is a kind of tomato obviously. I don't know what makes them special but a tomato is pretty much a tomato in my opinion sherry vinagrette as a dressing also seems pretty self explanatory.

^I had a couple of those a few nights ago, sooo good!
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Okay, don't go back. Your page long diatribe on it being too wordy and too rich is taken.
    Oh you
    www.decl.org

lol

owned.

I bow to your deference.

OMG

I'm temporarily almost shut up.

I have an acknowledged weakness for rant. Good for my cathartic chakras if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post

Those ingredients aren't particularly difficult to decipher.

Radicchio is a purple leaf and chèvre is goat cheese.

Fire cracker is a kind of tomato obviously. I don't know what makes them special but a tomato is pretty much a tomato in my opinion sherry vinagrette as a dressing also seems pretty self explanatory.
    The terms are completely silly. "Grilled Radicchio wrapped chevre" invokes 3 languages in case you didn't notice. All thrown into one thereby nonsensical description. Maybe you've grown accustomed to more adjectives and several languages on the menu than food on the plate. The terms are unclear, and wordy, mixed in different languages, and don't further the writing of a menu which has the purpose of aiding in selection. A menu is supposed to have some descriptive utility. Or maybe now its considered the art. Maybe in the future we pay just for brilliant written menu and a few cheese crumbs and firecrackers on the plate.

Honestly never heard of chevre in my life and I'm fairly knowledgeable around the kitchen. I should've figured its a type of cheese, nearly everything on the 1903 menu is cheese. maybe they could just call it 1903 fromage and be done with it.

Never ever heard of fire cracker tomatoes and never seen them on sale ever, anywhere. a not common use term, I must have shopped in all the wrong produce stores my entire life. I couldn't even conclusively google results on this one.

So what is "fire cracker tomatoes" still wondering.

sherry vinaigrette is the only term in that description I knew.

never realized I need to consult a smartphone for deciphering several languages now when walking in restaurants.

One of the byproducts I guess in these modernist fusion type restaurants is borrowing so much from several regional palates one seems to take more licence on several languages used. For instance chevre could I imagine be referred to as "goat cheese" Except that might actually be helpful being in English. Apparently chevre tastes better than goat cheese if thus described...(dripping sarcasm)

Should I really require fluency in several languages to read a fusion menu? Maybe translate in English. This being Edmonton. Theres a clue.
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-11-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Chevre is delicious and very common.
    www.decl.org

Says the guerilla urbanista.

Chevre wouldn't be found within 10miles of where I live. I think we call it goat cheese. Like most anybody in the English speaking world would..

hmmm, the search term "what is chevre" seems to have millions of hits.

I wonder how many by people sitting in too clever by half restaurants reading obtuse menus..

Anyway this is a very SeinfeldIan conversation

I'm not getting soup today, or anytime soon at 1903 for sure..
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-11-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Replacement is rocking out against chevre.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

I hate goat cheese. I feel very alone in that.

Haven't been to the Tavern yet, but I do get the feeling that it would be a pointless trip unless I wanted duck and/or mozza.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Many of their cheeses are sourced from Cavern on 104 Street. They're very helpful and will give you samples of stuff you haven't tried before.

Just because you haven't had it before or know what it is doesn't make it wrong or the wrong terminology. I don't know what there is to be offended by.
    www.decl.org

I generally consider myself well-educated on menu terminology and such, but I understand Replacement's issue.

Potential new customers come to your establishment and don't understand the menu. So what does the venue do: Educate the customer, offer advice, and help them explore new creations they may enjoy, or dismiss them as uncultured blockheads not worthy of the venue?

I've experienced that many times. It amazes me that some of these places stay in business with that attitude (and most of them don't).

Chevre wouldn't be found within 10miles of where I live. I think we call it goat cheese. Like most anybody in the English speaking world would..

I wonder how many by people sitting in too clever by half restaurants reading obtuse menus..

Haha awesome.

Don't get me wrong though, I hate when you go into a place and need a thesaurus and sommelier to even order. That said, I love learning about proper or classic naming and dont have an issue asking.
    www.decl.org

Chevre literally translates to goat. You are a mediocre Canadian complaining about the use of one French word on the menu. For shame.

I was going to copy all replacements posts and do a word count on his dislike of fancy time wordiness just see if the irony was lengthy enough that it surpassed most high school essay's.

Really we should all agree goat cheese is gross.

Chevre literally translates to goat. You are a mediocre Canadian complaining about the use of one French word on the menu. For shame.

I was going to copy all replacements posts and do a word count on his dislike of fancy time wordiness just see if the irony was lengthy enough that it surpassed most high school essay's.

Really we should all agree goat cheese is gross.
    I'm complaining about the stupid use of 3 different languages to describe one menu item. Which is odd considering this isn't in any way an ethnic restaurant. Its a fusion restaurant in an English speaking city last time I checked. So who's the menu writer trying to impress?
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-11-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Haha awesome.

Don't get me wrong though, I hate when you go into a place and need a thesaurus and sommelier to even order. That said, I love learning about proper or classic naming and dont have an issue asking.
    ftr I have no issue if I go to a French restaurant and items are described with French terms, or German and German terms, Italian, and so on. Provided that they are ethnic restaurants the "when in rome" applies. Naturally it does and I wouldn't complain in such instance.

But to have a fusion restaurant use several different languages in their menu descriptions and as many as 3-4 in describing one item is just plain silliness. If not outright idiotic.

Effusive ostentation for the sake of it.
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-11-2013 at 09:59 PM.

I would like a beef on plate with carrot and sauce.

done and done
    www.decl.org

I'm complaining about the stupid use of 3 different languages to describe one menu item.
    Okay, seriously, man, language really doesn't work that way. If chevre (a very common English word that happens to have origins in French) when used in an English phrase is "French," then 'boss' is Dutch, 'lager' is German, and 'pizza' is Italian. All languages borrow words from other languages, but by the time that they're used among monolinguals (such as on a menu in a restaurant in a monolingual city), they're nothing but English.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    I'm complaining about the stupid use of 3 different languages to describe one menu item.
    Okay, seriously, man, language really doesn't work that way. If chevre (a very common English word that happens to have origins in French) when used in an English phrase is "French," then 'boss' is Dutch, 'lager' is German, and 'pizza' is Italian. All languages borrow words from other languages, but by the time that they're used among monolinguals (such as on a menu in a restaurant in a monolingual city), they're nothing but English.
    Chevre is by no means a common use word. It is one I hadn't encountered anywhere in over 50yrs.

But anyway, again, what is the purpose of a menu other than to describe what is available to be ordered. It isn't just one term its that the 1903 menu uses countless not common usage terms and sometimes combinations of them in one item. Like I said one would have to have familiarity with several languages or foodie culture there of to be at all familiar with them.

I've not seen chevre in any grocery store I've been to ever. I suspect its always being called goat cheese.

If 1903 had ketchup on a plate it wouldn't be called that or catsup. Presumably it would be called Firecracker pomidori confit reduction. Corn on the cob would be called truffle buttered maize en dente au naturel. Just to be pretentiously ridiculous.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-11-2013 at 10:41 AM.

^ It's just a fancier way of saying stuff. Like aioli. When everybody started talking "aioli this" and aioli that" I had to look it up only to find out that it is mayonnaise. A trendy way to say mayonnaise.

I guess saying mayonnaise doesn't make one feel sophisticated enough. But I really don't care. As long as it tastes good I don't care what you call it.

My only issue with 1903 is the lacking draft beer selection. Beyond that, I found my meat and cheese to be quite enjoyable
    Last edited by 240GLT; 11-11-2013 at 10:50 AM.
    Parkdale

I had a great meal last weekend at Tavern 1903 but the service was really 'cold'. Not friendly, the server seemed awkward.

Chevre is by no means a common use word. It is one I hadn't encountered anywhere in over 50yrs.
    If a word doesn't happen to be used often by the people you know and the publications you read, then it can't possibly be used frequently by other people and other publications, anywhere? Who's being arrogant now?

Just this week I learned two new words in my very own native language. One of them is apparently pretty common; I just hadn't encountered it before. And I'm a professional linguist. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    If a word doesn't happen to be used often by the people you know and the publications you read, then it can't possibly be used frequently by other people and other publications, anywhere? Who's being arrogant now?

Just this week I learned two new words in my very own native language. One of them is apparently pretty common; I just hadn't encountered it before. And I'm a professional linguist. It happens.
    I was simply responding to your notion that the term Chevre is commonly used in Edmonton. Find one grocery store anywhere in Edmonton that has Chevre.

Lots have goat cheese. Which is what its known by here.

silly to argue about but since its what we were discussing.

"In Edmonton" was your addition; I just said the word was a common English word. Changing the terms of your assertions in the middle of a discussion isn't cool.

But both the Jasper Ave. Sobey's and the Old Strathcona Save-On-Foods carry goat cheeses labeled as chevre, for what it's worth. There are probably many more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast