Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AB Hotel Bar + Kitchen - Tavern 1903 is now closed

Any bets on how long this one will last? 6 days?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Depends on if they have a menu that moves anywhere beyond what previous incarnations have provided and a price range that doesn't seem like gouging.

So sad that so much effort took place reconstructing the Alberta Hotel and yet any establishment in there has been very disappointing.

I would expect at least a place that could interest a larger cross section of diners. The first version was the coopted Hardware Grill attempt, an over priced restaurant itself and with a very limited clientele with deep pockets.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

The first version was the only one that actually did reasonably well, and the only reason they closed was some sort of landlord dispute. Since then, a couple amateur hour attempts quickly fizzled out. I don't know who is behind Revel, but hopefully they have a background in running previous successful establishments, and it's not just another farm team.

C2E Long Term Contributor

This is by the same folks with Privada in St Albert
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    The first version was the only one that actually did reasonably well, and the only reason they closed was some sort of landlord dispute. Since then, a couple amateur hour attempts quickly fizzled out. I don't know who is behind Revel, but hopefully they have a background in running previous successful establishments, and it's not just another farm team.
    This team has been around a while. They are currently in St Albert at Privada. Chef Tony has also done Gold Plates Dinner. I know the team and they are experienced and careful. If what was served this weekend is going to be the norm I think people will be quite happy. This location really does need another good restaurant. I have also been told the Kitchen will stay open until 1am. Something that does not happen now in the area. That would make it a viable option after the Winspear or Citadel shows. Most kitchen close at 11. Even in the last 2 years we have more people in the downtown area later at night.

All good news and what people like myself had asked for. A reasonable option that is open later at night and that can cater to patrons in the area say Citadel, Winspear, etc. Hopefully some reasonably priced menu options though. Also a reasonable dietary menu would be nice.

Not big on saturated fats, over salted processed, nitrate kinds of foods. Some people want a choice of relatively healthy fare. Not many options like that provided by the prior proprietors.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Chef Krause did his own cured meats at the St Albert location. I don't know if he is doing it at this location. The menu is going to be small plate and sharing in the tavern side. A large menu on the dinning room side. Some pretty tasty bites during the soft opening.

I do hope they do the Apple Tart for the late night menu, a great late evening sharing desert.
    Last edited by BalancedOP; 02-10-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Good to know they're experienced. I'm still convinced the location is a bit of an oasis and the city seems to do everything in its power to ensure the street parking in that area is forever closed for reasons.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Long Term Contributor

Small changes...
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Small changes...
    okay, i'll bite...

who was that addressed to and on what topic or issue and what are the small changes you're trying to draw our attention to?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123