Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AB Hotel Bar + Kitchen - Tavern 1903 is now closed

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    "In Edmonton" was your addition; I just said the word was a common English word. Changing the terms of your assertions in the middle of a discussion isn't cool.

But both the Jasper Ave. Sobey's and the Old Strathcona Save-On-Foods carry goat cheeses labeled as chevre, for what it's worth. There are probably many more.
    I mentioned Edmonton, I referenced Edmonton. Its in my comments if you go back to it.

Save on doesn't even reference a product called chevre. I searched for it online, I've been to their stores.

Oh, interesting;

http://www.saveonfoods.com/search/go...3A1&sitesearch=
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Long Term Contributor

Chevre is common and widely available.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Chevre is common and widely available.
    Its not. As mentioned I've never seen Chevre in any grocery store. I obviously don't go to artisan cheese shops. I imagine they might have it there. Probably called goat cheese. lol.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^I don't think I have been to a grocery store where they have not had it or 3 varieties of it...
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I mentioned Edmonton, I referenced Edmonton.
    I said this:
    If chevre (a very common English word that happens to have origins in French) when used in an English phrase is "French," then 'boss' is Dutch, 'lager' is German, and 'pizza' is Italian.

(note the lack of mention of Edmonton; I was just asserting that it was an English word in common use)

And then you responded with this:
    Chevre is by no means a common use word. It is one I hadn't encountered anywhere in over 50yrs.

(note again the lack of "but really I'm talking specifically about Edmonton, here")

But whatever; I'll accept the change as a friendly amendment. Because you really can buy products labeled chevre in grocery stores. Even in Edmonton. Swear to god.

As for Save-On in particular, different Save-On-Foods stores stock different products. I can assure you that I have at different times bought several different goat cheeses labeled chevre at the Old Strathcona one. Their (very good, by the way!) cheese section changes often, though, so I can't swear up and down that they stock them right now (I no longer live in the neighbourhood). But I bet they have at least one.
    Last edited by Idealistic Pragmatist; 11-11-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    I mentioned Edmonton, I referenced Edmonton.
    I said this:
    If chevre (a very common English word that happens to have origins in French) when used in an English phrase is "French," then 'boss' is Dutch, 'lager' is German, and 'pizza' is Italian.

(note the lack of mention of Edmonton; I was just asserting that it was an English word in common use)

And then you responded with this:
    Chevre is by no means a common use word. It is one I hadn't encountered anywhere in over 50yrs.

(note again the lack of "but really I'm talking specifically about Edmonton, here")

But whatever; I'll accept the change as a friendly amendment. Because you really can buy products labeled chevre in grocery stores. Even in Edmonton. Swear to god.

As for Save-On in particular, different Save-On-Foods stores stock different products. I can assure you that I have at different times bought several different goat cheeses labeled chevre at the Old Strathcona one. Their (very good, by the way!) cheese section changes often, though, so I can't swear up and down that they stock them right now (I no longer live in the neighbourhood). But I bet they have at least one.
    I specifically stated Edmonton in post 82, I referenced English speaking city multiple times. Clearly I was referencing place.

Anyway, again, a silly thing to argue about so cheers.

ps As mentioned I don't eat cheese so more than likely I don't spend a lot of time hanging out in cheese sections in stores. That would've been sharp rebuttal.

Tavern 1903 for dinner, delicious. Service was ok, but not to the level I would expect.

2 mozzarella bar offerings, duck confit tacos, short ribs, Korean cauliflower, ham and pea Mac and cheese, lobster truffle Mac, maple bacon donuts, malbec and sloe gin.

A good Monday be it
    www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I hope you shared... Sounds like 5 heart attacks waiting to happen, but tasty all the same.

Tis better to share than to hoard.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Tavern 1903 for dinner, delicious. Service was ok, but not to the level I would expect.

2 mozzarella bar offerings, duck confit tacos, short ribs, Korean cauliflower, ham and pea Mac and cheese, lobster truffle Mac, maple bacon donuts, malbec and sloe gin.

A good Monday be it

They still pretty slow and cranky there? Brimming with pretense? Hope they get over themselves soon.

Actually, friendly, but didn't set properly after appys and dripped wine.
    www.decl.org

I'm not sure where the CKUA performance space is in relation to Tavern 1903 in the Alberta Hotel but Colleen Brown is performing for free this Friday 14th at 7pm. Looks like there are still walk-up seats available. www.ckua.com/01/21/14/Spend-Valentines-Day-with-Colleen-Brown-/landing.html?blockID=734965&feedID=7375
    CKUA is recording the event. Go To Something Edmonton.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

CKUA performance space is in the rear of the building, accessible from the main CKUA entrance (exposed to lots of light due to the glass wall). Great space to catch a set if you ever get a chance to do so.

Tavern 1903 has been closed a couple of days now as a result of a mechanical failure according to twitter but a notice on the door explains that the sub landlord has taken over the space blah, blah, blah -- reads like someone hasn't paid the rent lately.

We had dinner reservations on Saturday at 1903, which they informed us were cancelled due to a "burst pipe". Hope they're back up and running soon...

On the front door of 1903.

Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

crap crappity crap crapp

ouch

http://tavern1903.com/?page_id=97
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Had it not been doing well? I never had a chance to check it out. Just about everyone I spoke with that had said that they quite liked it. Unfortunate.

Went 3-4 times, enjoyed all of them.
    www.decl.org

Announcement now up @ their site

http://tavern1903.com/

Dear Customers & Friends,
    It is with sadness and regret that we must inform you Tavern 1903 has had to close its doors. We apologize for both the disappointment and the inconvenience that this will cause.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

It was always busy when I was there... hopefully someone new gets in quickly for that stretch had so much more life with it in the evening.
    www.decl.org

We live about 2 blocks away from here, and were very excited to spend a lot of time there.

This place was cool, but I feel like it missed hitting the right demographic. Eating a proper meal there was too expensive, full stop. We would take friends there for the atmosphere and cocktails, and we'd end up getting a tiny side of beans or corn bread because they were the only food under $20.

We'd go for a drink or 2, and then leave to eat food elsewhere. It wasn't the destination it should be, considering the heritage space and proximity to the Shaw. It's like they were cannibalizing their Hardware-level clientele when they could be attracting an entirely different price point of customer, those who are gladly flocking to Craft, Mercer, or Woodwork.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Reading the announcement, doesn't sound like patronage was an issue.

Also doesn't sound like we should speculate.

Too bad.
    ... gobsmacked

Really, really unfortunate. I went about 4-5 times and really enjoyed each meal I had there.

The couple times I went I felt the same way Parker. The quality wasn't there for the price point.

I liked the bar well enough but for a building housing CKUA they could have paid closer attention to certain details like the horrible music they played. It was The Bear or something when I was there. I'd rather go to The Underground.

I hope something takes over the space soon.

Sadface
    www.decl.org

sublandlord may or may not have a tough time finding new tenant for this building.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Who is the sublandlord?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Very disappointing. I wonder what happened.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

looks like they are in dispute over lease ?? just a thought ??

I thought this place was lame and pretentious. Maybe it got better.

It's interesting that I've heard a comment that there are "no bad people" in this dispute. Be good to hear both sides of the story.

Well serves you right for trying to book a table of high spending people...
    www.decl.org

^ That's how I roll...

This thread title is incredibly depressing in light of today's news...
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Good riddance.

Hopefully some place with any nature of sensible and reasonably priced food takes its place.

Nothing on the menu was of any appeal. Walked away from this establishment while hungry.

lol that an establishment that was closed unexpectedly some of the time and that kept inconsistent hours and wasn't even open on Sundays is crying about a lease.

Walked away from this establishment while hungry. An establishment that was closed unexpectedly some of the time and that kept inconsistent hours.
    We tried to go once before a Winspear show and they were closed very early on a Friday evening. A second time we met some friends and our take was overpriced for the quality and quantity of the fare.

I pulled the short straw so I had to arrange our office Christmas lunch. You guessed it, I booked the Alberta Hotel for 10 people. It was for next week. This week it is closed and then I read the news article. There is no other place that will squeeze us in at this late stage in December. Thank you Alberta Hotel for closing during the busy Christmas season. Class act.

Quote Originally Posted by Voice View Post
    I pulled the short straw so I had to arrange our office Christmas lunch. You guessed it, I booked the Alberta Hotel for 10 people. It was for next week. This week it is closed and then I read the news article. There is no other place that will squeeze us in at this late stage in December. Thank you Alberta Hotel for closing during the busy Christmas season. Class act.
    I would try Ruth's Chris they may have an 11:30h. slot open next week.

Can we change the thread title to "Tavern 1903 is now open CLOSED"
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

given the ownership link i would start by seeing what the hardware grill might be willing to do for you...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Continued Contributor

Changed the thread title...
    Almost always open to debate...

You could take the party to a less formal setting, like Denny's or Red Robin's, and use the difference in price between a meal at either and Tavern 1903 to get everyone a nice gift card of some kind. Good luck!
    Last edited by Ustauk; 11-12-2014 at 04:35 PM.

^hylarious.

I would try Parlour, Wildflower, Select, The Marc, Common, Bodega, Madison's.
    www.decl.org

Landlord for Tavern 1903 hopes to resolve dispute without court

"Travis Boa, who works for a numbered company owned by Edmonton architect Gene Dub, says the company invested $1.3 million in renovations to the restaurant before chef Larry Stewart opened it to great fanfare in mid-2013."

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...without-court/
    www.decl.org

I guess that is good news...
    www.decl.org

Would be nice if they'd tried that before locking the doors.

Really poor form that they would choose this specific reservations time of year to close shop. That they made this decision unilaterally is inexcusable really for a restaurant business. literally biting the hand that feeds.

As mentioned I would check out with the Hardware Grill if they would be willing to accommodate. They are referring people with pre bought certificates that they will be honored there. I would see what they could do for you if you aren't too put off by the classless closure.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Landlord for Tavern 1903 hopes to resolve dispute without court

"Travis Boa, who works for a numbered company owned by Edmonton architect Gene Dub, says the company invested $1.3 million in renovations to the restaurant before chef Larry Stewart opened it to great fanfare in mid-2013."

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...without-court/
    I'm amazed it cost 1.3M for that. The restaurant part is deplorable. What looks like faux wood paneling suitable for a basement rec room more than a fancy urban restaurant with high pricing.

The bar is welldone and enjoyable. I would have retained rustic look of wood beams vs whitewashing the ceiling though. But overall no complaints with the look of the bar. Its what the whole facility should have looked like. It looks as if all the money was put into the bar rather than the restaurant which is decidedly ordinary in comparison.

Whoever takes this over will probably have to makeover that restaurant area for it to have the slightest appeal. Its really an odd, entire mismatch as is. Really it screams project addition.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-12-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Believe it or not, $1.3 million is not a huge sum for a restaurant fit up like that
    Parkdale

^Also, the front of house is only part of the restaurant. The largest costs go into the kitchen.
    www.decl.org

Commercial kitchens are expensive.

We just gutted and expanded our kitchen at the CL hall last year. For the adition of a fume hood, make-up air system and fire supression, new gas range, commercial sink, cooler and some new cabinetry and related civil work it cost $140,000 not counting consulting and design fees. And this is for a relatively modest and much smaller and less equipped kitchen than you'd see in a larger restaurant

People seem to have little idea how much things really cost when you get into commercial grade fixtures and finishes. Higher end finishes, light fixtures, doors, custom millwork and such all cost big dollars.
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post

We just gutted and expanded our kitchen at the CL hall last year. For the adition of a fume hood, make-up air system and fire supression, new gas range, commercial sink, cooler and some new cabinetry and related civil work it cost $140,000 not counting consulting and design fees. And this is for a relatively modest and much smaller and less equipped kitchen than you'd see in a larger restaurant

People seem to have little idea how much things really cost when you get into commercial grade fixtures and finishes. Higher end finishes, light fixtures, doors, custom millwork and such all cost big dollars.
    The restaurant side of 1903 was anything but "higher end finishes". It smacked more of sheets of pressboard paneling. The fixtures were as plain as possible and the cheapest chairs and tables I've ever seen in a restaurant. There was nothing high end at all about the 1903 restaurant design.

Again with the bar I would agree with you but the Restaurant was plain as possible. Theres Smittys restaurants that are fancier..
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-12-2014 at 01:53 PM.

^Also, the front of house is only part of the restaurant. The largest costs go into the kitchen.
    This was largely a Charcuterie and Cheese house. The menu items didn't suggest that an elaborate and extensive kitchen was required.

If so it was a facility that was certainly wasted judging from the very limited menu offerings.

The restaurant side of 1903 was anything but "higher end finishes". It smacked more of sheets of pressboard paneling. The fixtures were as plain as possible and the cheapest chairs and tables I've ever seen in a restaurant. There was nothing high end at all about the 1903 restaurant design.

Again with the bar I would agree with you but the Restaurant was plain as possible. Theres Smittys restaurants that are fancier..
    Heh... just because it looks cheap doesn't mean it was cheap
    Parkdale

Replacement, why do you have such a bone to pick with 1903? Are you related to the sublandlord or something? Your posts throughout here really look like a smear campaign.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    Replacement, why do you have such a bone to pick with 1903? Are you related to the sublandlord or something? Your posts throughout here really look like a smear campaign.
    I would suggest looking at Replacement's posts on other topics. You may notice a pattern.

This was largely a Charcuterie and Cheese house. The menu items didn't suggest that an elaborate and extensive kitchen was required.
    Your comment doesn't suggest you know much about the requirements of a commercial kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
    Your comment doesn't suggest you know much about the requirements of a commercial kitchen.
    Which could be said about pretty much any of us.

But I don't know that anybody going to this establishment thought that the menu was indepth or one that suggested indepth culinary kitchen. Chopping prepared cheese and bits of prepared sausage was half the bloody menu. None of which was prepared in house.

No basically annoyed at this citys lame restaurant scene and such poorly executed restaurants as this being elevated to some lofty status based apparently on people never being in other cities seeing much better cuisine.

Its like any dreck will do in this city.

This restaurant was a disaster from the word go and sure didn't have a long lifespan.

Virtually nothing on that menu that anybody even remotely concerned with their diet would ever consume.

I'm not sure if its become some kind of weird buzz in this city that every restaurant entrée should be so basically unhealthy that the safest choice is something like Mac N cheese.

Most cities have fine dining with solid food that is actually good for its clientele. This certainly not the case with 1903.

I detest this nature of restaurant because I prefer eating healthy food, sensible food, and at a somewhat reasonable price.

Not this charge for water garbage. This establishment deserves fully all the scorn it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I would suggest looking at Replacement's posts on other topics. You may notice a pattern.
    Or that you have issue with my posts.

Screw off.

Heh... just because it looks cheap doesn't mean it was cheap
    It sure was poorly executed. Paneling that comes off looking like pressboard wallboards is completely underwhelming. No character to it at all. Indeed the restaurant space was bereft of character.

If so it was a facility that was certainly wasted judging from the very limited menu offerings.
    A full commercial kitchen for a restaurant like that could easily cost $500k.
    www.decl.org

A full commercial kitchen for a restaurant like that could easily cost $500k.
    Thanks for the replies. Not disputing the figure at this point. Just that for this, and several restaurants judging from the limited menu you wonder how much is overkill. This wasn't exactly a varied menu or what could reasonably be considered fine dining. Seemed more like a collection of culinary oddities. Like a restaurant devoted to appetizers and where its signature dish is one.

KFC lol. The dish that most people talk about in relation to this place.

Easily forgotten.

Next.

But I don't know that anybody going to this establishment thought that the menu was indepth or one that suggested indepth culinary kitchen. Chopping prepared cheese and bits of prepared sausage was half the bloody menu. None of which was prepared in house.
    Well, actually, I spent around 20 years kicking around kitchens from greasy spoons to fine dining, so I've some idea of the equipment and facilities required. Go ahead and call Hesco for a quote on a gas powered 6 burner commercial range. Go ahead and ask for quotes on a commercial oven, stainless steel counter tops, commercial grade mixing equipment. Ask for a quote on a commercial dishwasher, and large stainless steel prep sinks. Ask for a quote on a walk in refrigerator and matching freezer.

Ask for a quote on the large and extensive exhaust and fire-suppression systems required by building/fire code.

Because that's what you'll need even for a small kitchen.

And your contention the food wasn't prepared in-house in laughable.

Now Jaerdo doesn't have to go looking through all those other threads.

Well, actually, I spent around 20 years kicking around kitchens from greasy spoons to fine dining, so I've some idea of the equipment and facilities required. Go ahead and call Hesco for a quote on a gas powered 6 burner commercial range. Go ahead and ask for quotes on a commercial oven, stainless steel counter tops, commercial grade mixing equipment. Ask for a quote on a commercial dishwasher, and large stainless steel prep sinks. Ask for a quote on a walk in refrigerator and matching freezer.

Ask for a quote on the large and extensive exhaust and fire-suppression systems required by building/fire code.

Because that's what you'll need even for a small kitchen.

And your contention the food wasn't prepared in-house in laughable.
    So they made all the cheese in house? They made all the Charcuterie inhouse? That's what I was getting at.

I haven't questioned the cost of the kitchen. I've questioned why an establishment with such a limited and lame menu required such a kitchen.

In anycase this restaurant is dead now and deservedly so.

Yeah, you hate it. We get it. Telling though, that you'd wish any restaurant to fail. Is it not enough to simply not patronize it?

And my point is that even the simplest of 4-5 menu item kitchens STILL require $$$ in equipment.

Just look at the signature and move on. He's turned it into an artform.

Yeah, you hate it. We get it. Telling though, that you'd wish any restaurant to fail. Is it not enough to simply not patronize it?

And my point is that even the simplest of 4-5 menu item kitchens STILL require $$$ in equipment.
    I've clarified my point. That this city will worship the most mundane of restaurants offering fare that isn't even sensibly fit for human consumption.

1903 is one of the bad examples in this city that seem to consist solely of Cheese/ carcinogenic overprocessed meats/ wrapped in wads of bacon.

When designing menus like this is it the purpose to make customers ill?

Like I said no person even informed about their health would select one item from their menu.

The worst thing about 1903 is they occupied a place I would want to be in. My interest is with the Alberta Hotel, and that space, and hoping that a half decent restaurant opens up there. This resto was snotty, unfriendly, extremely poor service, almost always closed, and had nothing on the menu to offer.

Edmonton doesn't tend to have a lot of historic places to dine in. Again hopefully a reasonable restaurant or public endeavors will open up in Alberta Hotel.
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-12-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

I've clarified my point. That this city will worship the most mundane of restaurants offering fare that isn't even sensibly fit for human consumption.

1903 is one of the bad examples in this city that seem to consist solely of Cheese/ carcinogenic overprocessed meats/ wrapped in wads of bacon.

Like I said no person even informed about their health would select one item from their menu.

The worst thing about 1903 is they occupied a place I would want to be in. My interest is with the Alberta Hotel, and that space, and hoping that a half decent restaurant opens up there. This resto was snotty, unfriendly, extremely poor service, almost always closed, and had nothing on the menu to offer.

Edmonton doesn't tend to have a lot of historic places to dine in. Again hopefully a reasonable restaurant or public endeavors will open up in Alberta Hotel.
    not a lot perhaps but there are a few...

there's the harvest room at the mac and the hardware grill, both in pretty close proximity to 1903.

then there's characters, madison's, sabor, the creperie, rostizado, mercer tavern, the cavern, blue plate diner, burg, the hat and probably more than a few more without even leaving the core.

and if you want "period" and not just "historic", you can take in everything from la ronde to the commodore.

How was the city worshipping the most mundane of restaurant offerings when this place closed down in six months?

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

not a lot perhaps but there are a few...

there's the harvest room at the mac and the hardware grill, both in pretty close proximity to 1903.

then there's characters, madison's, sabor, the creperie, rostizado, mercer tavern, the cavern, blue plate diner, burg, the hat and probably more than a few more without even leaving the core.

and if you want "period" and not just "historic", you can take in everything from la ronde to the commodore.
    Thanks Ken. I've been to some of the mentioned establishments except the bolded. I'm not familiar at all with the Hat, Burg, and the Cavern.

I have to say Rostizado's I find to be similarly unhealthy fare. I wonder sometimes if Chefs may want to consult with dieticians on more wholistic menus that actually benefit their customers. Frankly I'm perplexed how few healthy eating options are out there especially as fine dining options. Not just being picky either. I have medical conditions that require me to be conscious about my diet. I always have been anyway.

Characters I may want to hit up again sometime. Blue plate is another overrated establishment imo.

Being pretty accomplished in the kitchen I enjoy good healthy food that's thought out and well prepared.

It is unfortunate in Edmonton, an area with abundances of game animals, fish, fantastic fertile farm lands, wild berries, mushrooms, that we don't see more of a sensible local diet occurring here. Theres a potential here for more of a local cuisine then is being presently realized. Chefs in Edmonton seem content to piggy back on whatever dining craze is occurring elsewhere rather than on what this could be.

That said some Restaurants seem to get it. Edmonton area for instance is a treasure trove of Root vegetables and some of the finest quality found anywhere. How seldom we see that on the plate.

People everywhere generally relate to a 100 mile diet as being an authentic representation of best possible local fare. Edmonton seemingly really misses the boat in this afaik.
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-12-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

space was being emptied out this afternoon - probably not much chance of a reconciliation between landlord and tenant...

Other than understanding how disappointing this must be for the business owners, I am not really shedding any tears. There are thousands of businesses that don't interest me and I just saw this as being another one. Sad to see all the same.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

^ I agree. While I wish no business failure or ill will, I can also say that the few times I was at Tavern 1903 I was either underwhelmed or uncompelled to rate it higher than my usual haunts.

The food was OK. The selection at the bar good. The atmosphere OK. While not awful, it was not a standout either.

It is really hard to put out a great product, so I give anyone who wants to try all the credit for trying. Many that complain have never tried to create something, let alone something that is a game changer. It is why I tried the place a couple of times - but in all seriousness other than suggesting it when people were local to this establishment, I didn't recommend anyone driving across town to pay for the experience. It was a nice "local" spot.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Any thoughts on what else can open up in this spot? Would hate to see this space go to waste.
    A craft beer place would be awesome.
    I know The Keg loves historical buildings.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ I like the hisptery joints as much as the next guy for a date, but what downtown needs is more comfortable places to hang out and have some drinks. I am all for craft beer, but no fancy expensive plates.

I feel like right now we have a choice between either dives, hipstery joints with expensive plates where you feel rushed to leave, or places so loud you can't hear yourself think except for repeating "did I accidentally walk into a nightclub?" ad nauseum.

So a nice pub-like place where you can hang out and have some drinks while also being able to hear the person 5 inches from your ear without a loudspeaker.

I didn't go into the articles or hunt for any details, but the sub landlord must have ideas for the space hence all the drama, correct?

The manager of the lease at Tavern 1903 in the Alberta Hotel says he hopes to have a fresh tenant early in the new year, now that chef Larry Stewart has moved his possessions out of the restaurant space, located at 9802 Jasper Ave.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...dmontonjournal

^ I like the hisptery joints as much as the next guy for a date, but what downtown needs is more comfortable places to hang out and have some drinks. I am all for craft beer, but no fancy expensive plates.

I feel like right now we have a choice between either dives, hipstery joints with expensive plates where you feel rushed to leave, or places so loud you can't hear yourself think except for repeating "did I accidentally walk into a nightclub?" ad nauseum.

So a nice pub-like place where you can hang out and have some drinks while also being able to hear the person 5 inches from your ear without a loudspeaker.
    A new concept by the Next Act crew would fit so well here, with proximity to theatre and music.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

A live venue would make sense, given the presence of CKUA.

So I ran into a couple of guys today, that were entering the club space. They go by the name of Brendan, and Spencer. Seems as of yesterday they have secured what was needed to open a restaurant/bar in this space. They were a little hush, hush about the details, but they did say they were expecting things to move along rather rapidly. Their goal is to have a soft opening sometime in October.
    Brendan and Spencer by Nothing to see here people...move along
    Violating Foolhardy Tyranny

Consider the cat out of the bag

Liane Faulder ‏@EatMyWordsBlog 13m13 minutes ago
    "Big news. Chef Spencer Thompson @toastkitchen taking over @Tavern1903 space in Alberta Hotel, opens Oct. New name to come. #yegfood #ejlive"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Toast Fine Catering ‏@toastkitchen
    @EatMyWordsBlog Rocking the kitchen & Brandon Baker @ER_YEG previously of @ThreeBoars as general manager & heading up the cocktail program

I know that guy Spencer and he used to work at the Marc about 2 yrs ago

C2E Posting Power

Awesome. If it is even half as good as Tavern1903 that is a win.
    YEG lifer. Phillips liver.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
    Hopefully better than Tavern 1903. I found 1903 overpriced and food of average - below average in quality.

Tavern 1903 always seemed to be a bit polarizing on C2E. Personally, I never had anything less than an excellent meal there. I'm happy to see that cocktails will remain a strong focus of the new lessees.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
    Hopefully better than Tavern 1903. I found 1903 overpriced and food of average - below average in quality.
    Hmm, I have heard that before as well.

Always loved it there.
    YEG lifer. Phillips liver.

I'm just glad to reopen that stretch of Jasper.

This with Da Cappo Cafe in 9888 Jasper next door I think gives a level of continuity on Jasper East that we haven't seen since, man, I don't know, a long long time. At least as far back as Canada Place was built.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Total fupgrade in Top_Dawg's opinion.

Top_Dawg used to enjoy that stretch with the Hub and all.

These new shitholes will morgentaler the area.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Your posts get more ridiculous each day.....

You enjoyed that stretch? The ex-ATB Tower???? (Still there.) Don't tell me you liked the flower beds between it and Canada Place. (Still there.) Referring to the gravel parking lot in front of the Courtyard perhaps? (Still there.)

???

Hub is on the next stretch and still there too.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

^Top_Dawg should still feel at home then.

Checked out the Alberta Hotel Bar + Kitchen Saturday night. We only had cocktails, which were delicious by the way (try the strange brew), but the menu was small, to the point and looked fantastic. The room is essentially unchanged. Given that they don't have their grand opening until the 18th or 19th of November, it was packed and great to see from Jasper. Patio will be opening in the spring.
    www.decl.org

Ignoring the ridiculousness of you post, I'll just mention the Hub and its colourful clientèle are still open, and most certainly willing to take your beer money and attempts to lively up the place.

C2E SME

Ate here on Friday. Started with the bone marrow rignoletti (that may be wildly misspelled), I had the beef duo while my girlfriend had the pickerel for mains, and we finished off with the creme brule duo. Also had a couple cocktails. All was very good, although I thought the flank steak could have used a bit more flavour. In any case, I look forward to seeing what their full menu will be.

Definitely not a cheap meal though. $140 for the above items without tip.

REVEL Bar and Bistro opens Oct 3. Chef Tony Krause.

Soft opening was this past weekend. Food was outstanding.

9802 Jasper Avenue.

Any changes to the interior?
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Nope other than a vestibule at the entrance.The room is pretty much they way it was. I know they did do some rewiring though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast