Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Icelandair | Reykjavik-Keflavik | Discussion

I'd rather C2E than work!

I think we have a better chance of seeing the Max 9 before the B 767.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Hmmmn. Don't know, but our perenial under-service and almost perfect geographic opposition from Western Europe right through Keflavik make me think they'd tend to want to put larger aircraft here.

Are they planning to replace the 757s with the MAX? Or grow the fleet with them?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Hmmmn. Don't know, but our perenial under-service and almost perfect geographic opposition from Western Europe right through Keflavik make me think they'd tend to want to put larger aircraft here.

Are they planning to replace the 757s with the MAX? Or grow the fleet with them?
    Saccording to Wikapedia some max planes will be used to replace older B757s
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandair
    They will probably use the B767 at the busier airports such as LHR where slots are hard to come by.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Posting Power

Airliners.net reports delays in Icelandair flights from North America to Keflavik today because of job action being taken by Iceland's air traffic controllers. Departure to Edmonton today is estimated to be delayed by 75 minutes.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/6705179/

(Edited to add link).
    Last edited by Doppelganger; 26-05-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Hah, my mom just flew there yesterday (arrived this morning). Guess she got lucky!
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Just booked Iceland to Europe, $448 return
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    saw that on YEGdeals today. Pretty unreal price. Sep/Oct might not be the ideal time to visit Iceland, but certainly is for most of Europe.

Wow. I paid that much to go to Victoria in May.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Super Addict

A bargain by Canadian norms, no big deal by European standards.

Out of curiosity, what did your Canada/Iceland return cost?
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

YEG-ORY return all ^in, 448.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Crazy, I just booked flights to New Brunswick and the "cheaper" flights were $816 lol. A lot were $900-1000 each, going to be an expensive trip for the four of us!! I am thinking we should just meet the outlaws in Iceland or Europe

^the lack of competition within Canada, in part because of the closed shop restricting to Canadian airlines, in part just due to lack of population, is nuts. You would be better off probably flying to the US, flying across the US, then flying back. Like how so many people in Toronto drive down to Buffalo.

I've been wanting to visit Montreal and Quebec City, but the price for airfare is par or more than flying to Paris. Wonder which I'll pick...

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    I've been wanting to visit Montreal and Quebec City, but the price for airfare is par or more than flying to Paris. Wonder which I'll pick...
    Move to Ottawa and it's a short drive!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Crazy, I just booked flights to New Brunswick and the "cheaper" flights were $816 lol. A lot were $900-1000 each, going to be an expensive trip for the four of us!! I am thinking we should just meet the outlaws in Iceland or Europe
    Indeed. Plus we don't have the luxury any more of Westjet's now abandoned Edmonton-Hamilton-Moncton service.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ That was a sweet connection, now it's YYZ

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    Move to Ottawa and it's a short drive!
    ew
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    A bargain by Canadian norms, no big deal by European standards.

Out of curiosity, what did your Canada/Iceland return cost?
    You might have forgotten that Europe"s land mass would also fit close to the land mass of BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan combined as well. Not much territories to cover with a large population base. This would be no different in places like Japan or China.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

YEG-KEF(3 day stopover)-CPH(10 days)-KEF-YEG for 2 people late September to October $1,009.00 CDN all-in!

Drat. No deals to Stockholm.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

How is the service on Iceland Air? I use them in a few weeks.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Very Nordic efficient.

In economy the seats are comparable to AC on its now defunct LHR service with the same seat back entertainment system but with far more music and movie selection (albeit slanted toward European).

You have to buy food and the selections are about the same but again European.

Wi-Fi has to paid for and is good. The last time I went it didn't work west of Quebec but I understand it is now licenced for all of the flight.

If you're going to go into Reykjavik for a stop-over take the Fly-Bus as KEF is 76 km from the City and cabs are prohibitive.

Good, if a li'l pricey for (quite tasty) food & WiFi.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    YEG-KEF(3 day stopover)-CPH(10 days)-KEF-YEG for 2 people late September to October $1,009.00 CDN all-in!
    Nice deal! That costs there wouldn't even cover my hotel bill for three days stay in Calgary. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    I've used them YEG-KEF-LHR or LGW on my last two trips to the UK.

For the outbound flight from YEG, assuming you still can't check in online in this direction, if you can get to check-in really early (at least 3 hours) and ask nicely, they may be able to allocate you great seats with extra legroom for no extra charge.

Returning from LGW back in January, when I checked in online the day before flying, I was able to choose a better seat in row 6 (ie. 2+2 seating versus 3+3 seating in economy class).

Enjoy your flights!

Quote Originally Posted by IJM View Post
    For the outbound flight from YEG, assuming you still can't check in online in this direction, if you can get to check-in really early (at least 3 hours) and ask nicely, they may be able to allocate you great seats with extra legroom for no extra charge.
    ? I've checked in online before...

Yeah heard about the food thing. But I'd rather pay for decent food. Thanks folks.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    When I flew out from YEG in December 2014 and December 2015, I am pretty certain that at those times Icelandair didn't have the facility to check-in online for Edmonton departing flights?

However, (and speculating a bit) this may have only applied to non-Canadian passport holders - I have a UK passport.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    When I flew out from YEG in December 2014 and December 2015, I am pretty certain that at those times Icelandair didn't have the facility to check-in online for Edmonton departing flights?

However, (and speculating a bit) this may have only applied to non-Canadian passport holders - I have a UK passport.
    I've flown them May 2014 and December 2015. I don't remember the first time, but the second time I definitely checked in online. Maybe you're right about the passport thing. Or maybe it's your final destination. I was only flying to KEF.

I've flown with them twice and checked in online both times. I believe it was 36 hrs in advance when it opened. Useful when flying economy as if you're quick you can snag a mid-tier seat.

The other time was "Saga" class so getting in early to pick a seat wasn't necessary. The saga class is nice, but definitely does not compare to business class on other international airlines. It is more like an "economy plus" seat on normal non-discount airline domestic flights. However it is significantly, significantly cheaper. To be completely honest though I would probably go for the mid-tier seats. If you do the mid-tier seats they block off the middle seat, so you have quite a bit more room which is the main benefit - the other amenities besides space are not worth the price in saga.

Also with regard to food, when I had a connection through I ate in the airport at the icelandair lounge and was very surprised at how good and fresh the food was. They had all icelandic themed local food. I had smoked salmon and an icelandic beer.
    Last edited by Jaerdo; 13-06-2016 at 11:00 AM.

From June 18 until September it looks like our Icelandair flights to KEF will be daily! They just loaded the Sunday flight. A bit annoying as we have booked to return a couple days early due to the lack of a Sunday flight

Great news! I'm flying with them again next week.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
    From June 18 until September it looks like our Icelandair flights to KEF will be daily! They just loaded the Sunday flight. A bit annoying as we have booked to return a couple days early due to the lack of a Sunday flight
    Very good news. I have to say this flight has been working very well for our family.

Iceland is such a cool stopover as well. We are actually going to Iceland for 9 days (so actually not a stopover as that is 7 days max), then to the Faroe Islands for 3 days, Edinburgh and then return from London on BA to KEF and then Icelandair back to Edmo. Peak summer and all those flights came to $1150 Sweet.

We are stopping in Reykjavik for a couple of days then on to CPH for a few days, then ARN for a few days and finally TXL for a week before returning to CPH for one night and then home via KEF.

The RT on FI from YEG-KEF-CPH-KEF was $1009.00 CDN for us both total (not each!). We tacked on the Stockholm and Berlin parts with SK then the train from Berlin to Copenhagen to return home.

Such a relief to have some good news out of EIA.

Such a relief to have some good news out of EIA.
    These posters below have snagged a great deal for sure....and will have an amazing time away.

See following post
    Last edited by The Man From YEG; 24-09-2016 at 05:47 AM.

Our FI flight to KEF on Thursday evening had one of the warmest cabins I have experienced the whole flight and I found it difficult to sleep, which generally is not an issue for me.

Other than that everything was great, Went straight to the Blue Lagoon from KEF and spent the entire morning before heading into Reykjavik and our hotel.

How is the economy seating on FI in terms of space compare to AC or WJ? I notice they fly the Boeing 757 on the trans Atlantic leg.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    How is the economy seating on FI in terms of space compare to AC or WJ? I notice they fly the Boeing 757 on the trans Atlantic leg.
    I am 6' 1" and I had no issues at all as I could stretch out my legs fully when I wanted. I felt like it was better than the last time I went YEG-LHR on AC (when that flight still existed). I think we were on a 757-200 as today we went to CPH from KEF on the much bigger 757-300. The legroom seemed less on this stretch version.

The entertainment system on the YEG-KEF flight was excellent with a USB charging port in addition to a full touch screen menu with far more selection than AC ever does.

The Music section KEF-CPH didn't work but TV and Movies did on the 3 hour flight.

On yegdeals.com Icelandair RT select dates January, February, March departures (can return in April) to either Paris airport for $483 CDN all-in

That's ~$200 cheaper than the RT ARN-YEG-ARN that my wife is booking this week.

Damnit.

I'm a little surprised Icelandic did poorly on best / worst airlines, 2nd worst overall:

The Worst 10 International Airlines of 2016:

– 10. Hainan Airlines – 30.3 per cent

– 9. Korean Air – 31.74 per cent

– 8. Air China – 32.73 per cent

– 7. Hong Kong Airlines – 33.42 per cent

– 6. China Eastern Airlines – 35.8 per cent

– 5. Asiana Airlines – 37.46 per cent

– 4. Philippine Airlines – 38.33 per cent

– 3. Air India – 38.71 per cent

– 2. Icelandair – 41.05 per cent

– 1. El Al – 56 per cent

The Best 10 International Airlines of 2016:

– 10. Qantas – 15.7 per cent

– 9. TAM Linhas Aéreas – 14.93 per cent

– 8. Delta Air Lines – 14.83 per cent

– 7. Singapore Airlines – 14.55 per cent

– 6. ANA – 14.46 per cent

– 5. Austrian – 14.26 per cent

– 4. Qatar Airways – 13.66 per cent

– 3. JAL – 12.2 per cent

– 2. Iberia – 11.82 per cent

– 1. KLM – 11.47 per cent
    http://news.nationalpost.com/life/tr...s-in-the-world

A calgary paper rates the airline that serves Edmonton the worst?

lol.

I think I'll take the words of the real people who use it here on C2E as greater authority than that stupid Kock Brothers funded rag.

It's possible, however they fly all their flights in and out of Reyk. So a flight coming in late means all the connectors that passengers are connecting to get delayed too. They and the airport are small enough that they can do that. Given that they don't have a lot of flights, in some cases just one or two to a destination a day, they'll hold it up to make sure everyone gets on. There's only one small hotel on the airport grounds and the airport is in the middle of nowhere.

It's something you can control when you only have one airport that all your flights fly through.

lol.

I think I'll take the words of the real people who use it here on C2E as greater authority than that stupid Kock Brothers funded rag.
    National post, and Flightstats (which is Portland Oregan). Not sure why you think Portland is part of Calgary. I've flown Philippines Air before and found it very good, they did poorly as well.

lol.

The article is off the newswire from Bloomberg. Not Calgary paper. Original article from 3 days ago: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-in-the-world

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    It's something you can control when you only have one airport that all your flights fly through.
    Its interesting, they call it best and worst performing airlines, but its really just, "airlines with the most delays, versus airlines with the least". I would have thought that's only one factor in deciding who to fly (although it is an important one, but also important is how they deal with those delays, quality of service, etc.).

^ Gee, and then why did you say "I'm a little surprised Icelandic did poorly on best / worst airlines, 2nd worst overall:"

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post

lol.

The article is off the newswire from Bloomberg. Not Calgary paper. Original article from 3 days ago: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-in-the-world
    The oily rag picks it up, the oily troll posts it. Could be a coincidence, I guess.

Per the EIA spotter facebook group, sounds as though YEG may see 2 weekly 767 next summber we rotated in with the 757 on the other days.

Another step backwards: Icelandair won't operate from January to March

I bet that's not happening to Calgary.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    I bet that's not happening to Calgary.
    They don't fly to Calgary.

Uh, they're still flying to Edmonton this Winter, unless I'm reading their 17-18 schedule wrong....

http://www.icelandair.ca/servlet/fil...dule-17-18.pdf

Looking forward to heading to Iceland in a couple of weeks for a tour of the island.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Uh, they're still flying to Edmonton this Winter, unless I'm reading their 17-18 schedule wrong....

http://www.icelandair.ca/servlet/fil...dule-17-18.pdf

Icelandair website doesn't offer non stop flights during this time frame (Jan to mid March).

Quote Originally Posted by faraz View Post

Icelandair website doesn't offer non stop flights during this time frame (Jan to mid March).
    My wife booked a mid-January flight from YEG to ARN earlier today, but on icelandair.se

I suspect it's their garbage website having issues or perhaps a schedule change propagating through the system.

My wife booked a mid-January flight from YEG to ARN earlier today, but on icelandair.se

I suspect it's their garbage website having issues or perhaps a schedule change propagating through the system.
    I don't see the non-stop flights available for booking on the Canadian website - all are one stops to YYZ. On the Swedish website - says 2 stops: KEF and YYZ
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 12-09-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post

I don't see the non-stop flights available for booking on the Canadian website - all are one stops to YYZ. On the Swedish website - says 2 stops: KEF and YYZ
    It is showing up on Kayak but not on Expedia for me. Weird.

The PDF confirming YEG<->KEF through winter is all of 7 days old (it shows a create date of 09/07/17). I suspect that there's an issue with getting the data propagated out.

Trying to book on Icelandair shows the nonstop are gone and all flights routed through Toronto. Thats a *****.

Angry

Trying to book on Icelandair shows the nonstop are gone and all flights routed through Toronto. Thats a *****.
    Was booked in February for a flight from YEG though Iceland to Paris. Were rerouted a few days later through Seattle with Delta on the outbound leg with a 6 hour mid-day layover and through Toronto with Westjet on the return. Brought our flight time from 9 hours to over 14... Very disappointing.

Is there any load factor data around? Were they really struggling to fill these flights from YEG, or is it a shortage of metal?

Icelandair model of using KEF as a gateway to Europe for all Canadian cities is at risk - given Worldwide Easyjet - Westjet collaboration. Presently the connection is at Gatwick but Paris and Berlin will be next - and if Westjet starts flights to other major European destinations like Paris and Berlin or even Frankfurt - Air Canada will feel a lot of pain...a lot of pain indeed.

Iceland Air cancels 2018 Edmonton flights for 3 months

http://globalnews.ca/news/3748038/ic...medium=Twitter

Global Edmonton‏ @GlobalEdmonton

Iceland Air says it's suspending #yeg flights until March 19, 2018 due to "lack of demand"

https://twitter.com/GlobalEdmonton/s...81758560260096

Icelandair model of using KEF as a gateway to Europe for all Canadian cities is at risk - given Worldwide Easyjet - Westjet collaboration. Presently the connection is at Gatwick but Paris and Berlin will be next - and if Westjet starts flights to other major European destinations like Paris and Berlin or even Frankfurt - Air Canada will feel a lot of pain...a lot of pain indeed.
    I loathe WestJet more than I loathe Air Canada, so it's gonna be KLM for me to see the wife, or I push the trip back a couple weeks & wait for FI to fire back up.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Global Edmonton‏ @GlobalEdmonton

Iceland Air says it's suspending #yeg flights until March 19, 2018 due to "lack of demand"

https://twitter.com/GlobalEdmonton/s...81758560260096
    So does someone have any numbers as to how many people from Edmonton travel to Europe and beyond during the winter months? And of those numbers how many are routed through the hubs to get to their destinations because if people are pushed through Toronto , Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary to get to their international destinations how is it possible to sustain any flights here? Curious if anyone has any numbers.

I just left a message for Bin Lau the Mayor's Strategic Advisor to the effect that it's time for Iveson to stop equivocating and speak out in favour or Edmontonians using both FI and KLM whenever possible and to stop flying via YYC, YYZ or YVR to get to Europe and in particular on AC. WestJet at least has some scheduled service trans-border.

I encourage others to do the same.

I'm so sick of these airlines especially westJet. This so called "Alberta company" doesn't give a rats a** about Edmonton. I just paid about $200 more to fly KLM to Amsterdam on my way to Barcelona to avoid both AC and WJ. Last week I tried the New Leaf flight to abottsford. It wasn't the most convenient trip because I had to be downtown but I was happy to avoid giving either of them my money. until things change I will do everything in my power to not support these 2 airlines. Admittedly, my power is limited to about 5 or 6 flights a year but I'm doing my part to change this disaster of howYEG is treated by these airlines.
    I never used Icelandair but I planned to. I hope they come back so I can get the chance.

Icelandair is fantastic and as much as this is not fortunate, our winter-time market is not exactly hopping.
    www.decl.org

Icelandair is fantastic and as much as this is not fortunate, our winter-time market is not exactly hopping.
    That is exactly the kind of attitude that AC relies upon in using YYC and YYZ. Time for our business leaders to stop repeating this kind of statement and start promoting FI and KLM year-round.

That is exactly the kind of attitude that AC relies upon in using YYC and YYZ. Time for our business leaders to stop repeating this kind of statement and start promoting FI and KLM year-round.
    Anecdotally, in my circle, there are quite a few people who travel to Europe over the winter. I would think the region could fill the planes. Unfortunately a lot of people I know are wedded to AC and that is their only option when considering overseas travel. They cite points, familiarity and the fact that they want to support a Canadian company.

I am a YEG fanatic but all entreaties to them fall on deaf ears.

I fully support the idea that the city, U of A, other post secondary, business community speak out in support of KLM and FI. I think the city should even make it policy never to use AC unless the flight is non stop to where they need to go.

I should have clarified or added to my statement in that I see this as not only a need, but an opportunity.

Jasper/winter tourism, skiing, THE NORTH, etc.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Icelandair also has 20+ European cities it connects to. Is it possible to look at a couple of Icelandair flights per week?
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I just left a message for Bin Lau the Mayor's Strategic Advisor to the effect that it's time for Iveson to stop equivocating and speak out in favour or Edmontonians using both FI and KLM whenever possible and to stop flying via YYC, YYZ or YVR to get to Europe and in particular on AC. WestJet at least has some scheduled service trans-border.

I encourage others to do the same.
    While I continue to practise this...

Fly Edmonton First is at least a 2 decade old slogan and practice. The results speak for themselves.

The reality is simple. Passengers need something to fly FOR. Now, Edmonton has its share of O/D, but the tourist market is abysmal at times. We won't be a hub anytime soon (sorry, Flair doesn't count...yet).

So, what really needs to change is not the attitude of "Fly Edmonton First". It is more fixing the issue of "why fly to Edmonton?" That is something the authority has zero control over, and the City and environs have all the control over. We need to become more business friendly. We need to stop fooling ourselves with some of the superlatives we use, and take a hard look at what we actually need to do. If I ever hear this boosteriffic slogan of "Greatest City in the Greatest Province in the Greatest Country in the World"...and yes, while old, some still use variations of it...I'm going to unleash a verbal barrage from hell.

We need to expand our businesses here. We need to stop thinking that local festivals are toruists attractions. We need to net out local spend from our external gains when it comes to events and festivals. Incentives need to be there for summer/winter items that create the desire to work to promote external dollars.

...otherwise...people from Athabasca aren't flying here for the alleged #1 tourist destination in Alberta...WEM.

It was, is, and will be for a while...gut check time.
    Onward and upward

I think this is probably not the end of the world for most Edmontonians, however it might be utterly terrible for the local businesses (like Odyssey Ocean Inland fishmongers, which relies on this flight to bring them truly top-notch fresh fish) who rely on it to make their businesses work.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

^The Journal story said that they had a work-around via Toronto.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    ^The Journal story said that they had a work-around via Toronto.
    Hopefully that works out for the businesses relying on the service. I don't think we should get too worked up about it, I gather the airline had financial issues and cut many routes - so this one is not all about us. I can sort of understand there may be less demand to travel to Iceland in winter - so seasonal service makes sense.

We are to a large extent at the mercy of the two main Canadian airlines and one is based in Calgary, so it will always be an uphill battle to get good air service here to international destinations, but just because it is not easy doesn't mean we should not continue to fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Anecdotally, in my circle, there are quite a few people who travel to Europe over the winter. I would think the region could fill the planes. Unfortunately a lot of people I know are wedded to AC and that is their only option when considering overseas travel. They cite points, familiarity and the fact that they want to support a Canadian company.

I am a YEG fanatic but all entreaties to them fall on deaf ears.

I fully support the idea that the city, U of A, other post secondary, business community speak out in support of KLM and FI. I think the city should even make it policy never to use AC unless the flight is non stop to where they need to go.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...here's the catch...they already do! To say that they don't speak out in support of KLM et al is a bit disingenuous. The KLM launch had a ton of business folks out there, and I know many continue to support. The key is frequency of support and frequency of need. Just because 200 people book one flight a year to some destination in Europe does NOT validate a daily scheduled flight. You need that many people on the plane DAILY, plus a great cargo demand to fill the belly.

As for the City, the City CANNOT make it a policy to discriminate based on carrier name, and when that carrier is the de facto flag carrier, hello political suicide. I do know that many in the City corporate do look at direct options, and if time/cost/value permit, they will use the direct service on a said carrier. Value does nto mean cheap, it is expressed in time to station, available work hours, coordination with meeting times, potential business links at stops along the way, etc. The City corporate must follow very strict procurement guidelines to ensure fairness to both the taxpayer and the GoA.

I'm not being a contrarian here, but again, Fly Edmonton First is not the magic bullet some think it is. It helps, many do look at their direct options first, but money, time, and overall value come into play. Some companies have a bulk buy situation to help alleviate costs...and let's be honest with ourselves...the BULK of Edmonton business travel is not to Europe. So, when you buy these bulk tickets...where are you going to go and what airline best suits that need.

Sure...points come into play. In fact, if someone cites points, that is EXACTLY why they put points programs in place! They increase customer loyalty with service perks, etc. In today's cattle car airline mentality, don't underestimate the value of a earlier board time, longer legroom, and a lounge...ESPECIALLY to the high dollar/high volume fliers.

No. We need to stop beating around the bush. It is not the Airport's duty to recruit flights alone. We...as a community...need to give airlines a reason to switch that metal from Route A to us...and in an industry where margins are razor thin at the best of times...that's a tall order. Sure, we all should support the routes once we land them, but you need to also give that plane a reason to bring people TO Edmonton FROM elsewhere...not always FROM Edmonton to places beyond. If we continually rely on locals filling the planes...you will get EXACTLY what we have today.

...or, we can keep running this cycle over and over and expect different results...
    Onward and upward

This isn't some grand anti-Edmonton conspiracy, if it was, some airline would step in and profitably fill the GAP. The reality is that COE doesn't attract international tourists (unlike Calgary), and never will unless the City is relocated closer to Jasper, so the Airport is never going to be as busy or successful. You can personally decide, do I connect through a city where at least my tax dollars still come back to me via the province, or do I connect somewhere else where that money is spent in a location where my province gets no return. I think the childish - it goes to Calgary so its bad mentality needs to end, its a counterproductive marketing strategy, all it does is highlight that Calgary has better connections / its like begging to be paid more because your brother earns more than you because he provides better service, albeit he is a 2 hour further drive away. Most people don't care - they just want an affordable flight, no amount of whining is going to change that. A shame about Icelandic, I really thought this was a good flight for Edmonton, but I guess its not the end, just a break.
    Last edited by moahunter; 17-09-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Great points Richard. Its hard for some to acknowledge but there is no grand design to short Edmonton out of direct flights this simply isn't that much of a hub and Edmonton is still not a travel destination and probably never will be considered as such with Calgary, Vancouver close by.

Also one has to wonder how many of the citizens of Edmonton that say they fervently believe in Edmonton and Yeg first actually put up and take flights that are direct rather than stopovers and pay any extra coin to do that.

Given decades of discontinued direct international flights I think its pretty clear that people haven't put their money where their mouth is. Even on this board in these threads simple flight fare seemingly takes precedence over any other consideration.

With apologies to the few here that have stated that they will pay more to support carriers that have direct flights.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

The bigger problem is rewards for customer loyalty whether it is credit cards or air travel. They are a hidden tax for large corporations to monopolies the market and shut out new competition. There are no such thing as "free" air miles or rewards we are paying for it one way or another.

C2E SME

I think Edmonton has a different kind of travel market:

(1) Many of the winter flights are to sun destinations.
    (2) Other international flights are for the purpose of visiting family members.
    (3) Much of the other international travel is done during the spring/summer.

One thing I like about Icelandair is being able to transfer to other European destinations.

As Edmonton's (and Alberta's) economy recovers, is it possible to pitch repatriation of some previously available flights. As WestJet grows internationally, I think Edmonton would offer more opportunities. Also, Edmonton International Airport had 709,000 passengers in August (close to the 2014 levels). Also, EIA has positive growth for passengers (except FBO) in 2017, with 7,248,669 rolling-12-month, or 7,357,183 if the 4.7% growth continues, beating the 2014 numbers (7,331,678 ).
    Last edited by The_Cat; 17-09-2017 at 03:55 PM.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Obviously someone at Icelandair reads Lonely Planet! *** runs away ***

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    This isn't some grand anti-Edmonton conspiracy, if it was, some airline would step in and profitably fill the GAP. The reality is that COE doesn't attract international tourists (unlike Calgary), and never will unless the City is relocated closer to Jasper, so the Airport is never going to be as busy or successful. You can personally decide, do I connect through a city where at least my tax dollars still come back to me via the province, or do I connect somewhere else where that money is spent in a location where my province gets no return. I think the childish - it goes to Calgary so its bad mentality needs to end, its a counterproductive marketing strategy, all it does is highlight that Calgary has better connections / its like begging to be paid more because your brother earns more than you because he provides better service, albeit he is a 2 hour further drive away. Most people don't care - they just want an affordable flight, no amount of whining is going to change that. A shame about Icelandic, I really thought this was a good flight for Edmonton, but I guess its not the end, just a break.
    What do I care if my airfare taxes go back to the province? I don't. I just don't want to hop on an airplane for a 30 minute ride to connect to some other airline to get somewhere. I would rather connect in a location that is at least half way to my destination and I am sick of being in a freaking plane by then anyway.

^Agreed. I never fly through YYC, increasing their air traffic is like death for YEG.

WJ wanted me to fly YZF-->YYC-->YEG (they had 2 flights for this daily, such a dumb route), went with Canadian North instead. Also went through SEA to get to SFO, rather than YYC.

I completely agree with RichardS that the CoE needs to develop a more attractive Winter tourism market to keep year round flights such as Icelandair. There are some great Winter festivals that are locally popular but could use more promotion internationally. Also, Winter tourism is growing by leaps and bounds in NWT; I have personally witnessed this on multiple trips to Yellowknife over the last couple of Winters. The tourists are coming primarily from Asia but many Europeans are traveling there too. Edmonton is the logical connecting point to the North so we could be doing a better job of getting these international tourists to stay for a night or two in Edmonton on their way to or from NWT/Yukon. Cities like Reykjavik and Copenhagen draw many tourists in the Winter so there is no excuse why Edmonton can't either. The city just needs to keep working on becoming a more people friendly place and embracing the Winter instead of hiding from it. Tourists want to visit places that offer them unique experiences.

Keep in mind latitude is not climate. Comparing Edmonton, literally in the middle of the continent, with European cities that are moderated by large bodies of water is a fool's errand.

It hasn't been -20 in Reykjavik in at least the last 70 years. At least 40 years for Copenhagen. We get 28 days a year on average at -20 or lower. My wife is from central Sweden (north of 60) & her home town has never been below -30 since they've kept records.

Its hard enough convincing our own people to get outside and do activities in the coldest, darkest parts of winter. The trick is finding some way of marketing deep cold. Maybe we need to market to extreme-o-philes and other near- masochists. Maybe we need to build a giant ice wall and ice dragon next to the ice castle in Hawrelak Park, dress people as ice zombies and white walkers, and market to fans of Game of Thrones to join the Night's Watch. Here, we know the meaning of "Winter is Coming"

Keep in mind latitude is not climate. Comparing Edmonton, literally in the middle of the continent, with European cities that are moderated by large bodies of water is a fool's errand.

It hasn't been -20 in Reykjavik in at least the last 70 years. At least 40 years for Copenhagen. We get 28 days a year on average at -20 or lower. My wife is from central Sweden (north of 60) & her home town has never been below -30 since they've kept records.
    Yes, I know what the differences are in temperature. But the argument that people won't travel somewhere because it is cold is a weak argument. I have been to Yellowknife in February when it is -25 with very little daylight and there are still plenty of tourists walking outside and doing outdoor activities. They just dress for it. People can and will go outside in cold weather as long as there is something interesting to do.

I'm not saying Winter tourism will ever be as big as Summer tourism, but making the city an attractive place to travel to in the Winter can certainly help in sustaining year-round flights to international destinations.

^Our winter temperatures are easier to deal with, at least imo, then sweltering +40C temps that one encounters in many other parts of the globe and even for extended periods of time.

All you have to do is dress appropriately for the cold and you're completely comfortable. What do you do in a place where its +40C? melt?

Quebec City would be an example of a NA city that manages to have pretty good winter tourism and with ice storms and similar cold stretches has a worse climate than Edmonton.
    Last edited by Replacement; Yesterday at 12:20 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

Yes, I know what the differences are in temperature. But the argument that people won't travel somewhere because it is cold is a weak argument. I have been to Yellowknife in February when it is -25 with very little daylight and there are still plenty of tourists walking outside and doing outdoor activities. They just dress for it. People can and will go outside in cold weather as long as there is something interesting to do.

I'm not saying Winter tourism will ever be as big as Summer tourism, but making the city an attractive place to travel to in the Winter can certainly help in sustaining year-round flights to international destinations.
    It is just as easy to get there from YYC as it is from YEG and both WS and AC have that covered.

The problem with Edmonton is identity - or lack of one. Edmonton needs an identity that will bring business and tourists to this city in summer and winter. That will bring the airlines in once the demand is there. But if all this city is recognized for nationally and internationally is a big mall and where Gretzky played that does not cut it.

We do not have mountains or oceans but other cities in the world don't either and they made it work so we can as well.

So what can we do? Make it business and tourist friendly - better transportation within the city and around the city to our recreational areas - Elk Island park being one -coordination of transportation services. Aggressive marketing of our city and its positives as a safe clean friendly city - explore what we have near by as in recreational facilities

the city of Edmonton need to sell this city better and the tourists and business will come - we just need to get our house in order

Tourism is not going to do it. Commerce in one form or another is what is going to drive air service in this region. You only have to look back a few years to the oilsands boom to realize that. We are too far away from major population centres and to far from the trans Canada and not enough points of interest to drive the airline industry. Sure London is built on a swamp but there are many things to do. We can add tourist attractions one at a time but the process is incremental and takes time. Besides it is just as easy to get to Yellowknife and Jasper from YYC as it is from here.
    Something of the same magnitude as Amazon that can generate it's own airline service is what is needed.

^ no not tourism although we can do our best to sell the attractions we have and create new ones but business is the key driver here. It identifies the city as being successful and brings in people especially young professionals who travel and create airline routes that feeds on itself creating more business etc. A simplistic model but this business / travel loop is key. Hey maybe we can become the pot capital of Canada and create cafes on White Ave where Americans can come and have a legal smoke. Who knows but business is essential for bringing people to this city initially.

It's funny how people here have this collective existential/identity crisis about Edmonton every time an airline cuts back on service. I get the impression that some of you here and on SSP believe that the sole reason for a city's existence is to feed airline traffic numbers. The flights will come back when the provincial economy improves, simple as that. And Icelandair is coming back.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

It is not an identity crisis air travel and the connectivity it brings is essential to economic prosperity. EIA has ambitions to be an aerotropolis which requires as a fundamental ingredient an airline partner dedicated to route development at your airport. Without this the service becomes erratic at best and is poison to business activity.
    AI is the latest godsend to our local economy. How long do you think it will take for high tech companies decide without direct service to London or the Bay Area they may as well move 200 miles south and get all the air service they want?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    It's funny how people here have this collective existential/identity crisis about Edmonton every time an airline cuts back on service. I get the impression that some of you here and on SSP believe that the sole reason for a city's existence is to feed airline traffic numbers. The flights will come back when the provincial economy improves, simple as that. And Icelandair is coming back.
    I think its because there is an obsession with the comparison to Calgary. The weak economy has impacted business travel to both YEG and YYC. But YYC has an offset - when the economy is strong and the Canadian dollar is strong, tourism suffers. But now that the economy is weak, and the dollar is weak, Calgary / Banff / Canmore / Waterton is a bargain for US and Asian tourists. I was just in Texas and about 3 people told me they were planning trips to the Canadian Rockies or Waterton/Glacier (a lot of Americans have Montana on their bucket list), prices are surprisingly cheap for flights now, as little as $300 return, so more flights can be maintained. It all feeds into the narrative and supports the build of port alberta in Calgary - the flights are more consistent and the airport continues to grow while YEG shrinks. People need to take their blinders off - at the end of the day what matters is that Alberta gets a tourist offset for the economic impact from the oil price decline - that's a good thing for all Albertans regardless of the relative airport impacts.
    Last edited by moahunter; Today at 09:53 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast