Thread: Ward 12 Candidates

Default Ward 12 Candidates

Candidates running so far:

Amarjeet Sohi
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

sigh

This is the perennial Rodney Dangerfield ward.

If I had more time I would run. Doesn't look like anybody else is interested.

Sohi by electoral default? Ain't that a shame.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Sohi is a good guy.. I think the ESL makes it easy for people to be bias.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    bias? What are you on about and how dare you suggest anything of the sort?

Sohi has reneged on past platforms. He was an ardent opponent of public funding of an arena and was very pronounced on that issue in his campaign materials, forums, and in direct discussion. He ends up voting for a public funded arena multiple times.

Alternately this is a former bus driver that has been a passionate supporter of public transit that has failed to deliver LRT to Mill Woods and with the SELRT line again put on the backburner. Been there since 1979.

Sohi ran family based platforms promising increased services to residents. His platform was catered to a working class ward and reflecting those values and needs. I had no problem whatsoever with the candidate, or nature of platform and supported both.

But Sohi's performance on council has not at all reflected the mandate he was granted in this ward. His record reflects the exact opposite of his platform.

Its unfortunate nobody beyond some voters are reminding him of this. No accountability. No representation.
    Last edited by Replacement; 05-09-2013 at 01:50 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I believe we call it racism and in extreme cases Xenophobia..

other than that there is also the perception that because someones English is broken or lesser the person is stupid.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 05-09-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I believe we call it racism.
    Unbelievable.

You can explain yourself or please go away.

Never did I point a finger at you... so calm down.

Are you saying that racism doesn't exist Replacement... Have you never thought or heard people express the sentiment that "People should learn better English before being allowed in MY Canada"

We have all heard it... so there.. be amazed.. it's explained.

no need for drama

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 05-09-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Partially Addicted to C2E

There is usually 1 or 2 people that come out of the woodwork come nomination day. Unfortunately they are often not serious contenders however it does give people an option.

If voters are not happy with Amarjeet's performance they can choose one of the other candidates. It may not make a difference in the final results however it could send a signal.

It would take a large effort (imo) to unseat Amarjeet for Council. The incumbent already has an 80% advantage over a challenger. That is probably why there hasn't been a serious challenger in Ward 12 (again, imo).

Shane...

C2E Long Term Contributor

Chinwe Okelu is running for office again. Apparently Edmonton can't have an election at any level without him.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...dmontonjournal
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Chinwe Okelu is running for office again. Apparently Edmonton can't have an election at any level without him.
    He has my vote...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    He has my vote...
    Ditto.

Don't know if there was a worse performance in a candidates forum then Sohi delivered. Somewhat crass, condescending to opponent, false claims made about opponent, and dismissive to two questions from the audience, and taking credit for ward initiatives he had very little to do with. While failing once again to deliver LRT. Oh but he voted for a public funded arena, something he vowed he was fervently against in every previous campaign.

sigh

Sohi has really changed. In presentation and political philosophy. Not for the better. He's been swallowed whole by the "downtown needs to be world class" crowd instead of properly representing a suburban working class ward.

I don't have any hope though that he'll be upseated.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-10-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Well, I was unable to attend the Ward 12 Candidate Forum and am unable to view the archive at work (security) so I can't comment directly about the forum. I can say that having worked with both individuals, Amarjeet is still the best choice IMO.

This is not to suggest that Amarjeet walks on water because he doesn't. I do know that he is more approachable than the other candidate. As for the LRT, Amarjeet has championed that cause to City Hall. I do not blame him for the delay but I am watching intently.

We will see how things go tonight and will have to live with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Bergdahl View Post
    Well, I was unable to attend the Ward 12 Candidate Forum and am unable to view the archive at work (security) so I can't comment directly about the forum. I can say that having worked with both individuals, Amarjeet is still the best choice IMO.

This is not to suggest that Amarjeet walks on water because he doesn't. I do know that he is more approachable than the other candidate. As for the LRT, Amarjeet has championed that cause to City Hall. I do not blame him for the delay but I am watching intently.

We will see how things go tonight and will have to live with the results.
    You didn't miss a lot. Softball questions for the most part seemingly cherry picked to be easy which always seems the case. Questions that got candidates to comment on platitudes and why they want in public office. Half the questions seem like they were handpicked in the Social 20 class down the hall. Half the people asking them looking like they're still in highschool.
    Worst moment was Sohi idly listing the projects completed in the ward and then stating "I stand by MY work for the ward, that's what I've been doing"

yikes.

How did he think he was going to get that slowball over the plate on Okelu? Not that it matters. Sohi is a longterm lock.

Sohi also making the steadfast claims that no tax money ever will go to arena, basically stating CRL, ticket surcharge levy amounts are guaranteed to cover arena, instead of this being unsubstantiated speculation. Also stating prospected impetus generated by arena as fact rather than speculation. I'm starting to wonder if civic politicians recognize the difference.
    With Lorna Rosen providing figures they certainly should.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-10-2013 at 01:56 PM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

So Sohi
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

So Sohi
    By default. Okelu can barely express himself. The other candidate, Abbas, may as well be MIA. I don't know anybody that's even spotted him.