Thread: Borden Park- Natural Swimming Experience

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Borden Park- Natural Swimming Experience

As many of you know, Borden Park is undergoing a make-over. Many aspects of the project are underway, from new picnic shelters, walkways, gardens, a spray deck and kids playground.. one of the greatest aspects of the revival is the "Natural Swimming Experience"

This crossed my e-mail & thought I'd share for anyone interested:

"Through the council approved Outdoor Aquatic Strategy, Borden Outdoor Pool, one of
    Edmonton’s oldest outdoor pools was designated for rehabilitation. Alternate development
    scenarios were explored during the master plan process for Borden Park and it was determined
    that a Natural Swim Experience was a viable option. The Borden Natural Swim Experience will
    be the first public amenity of its kind in Canada and will provide unique year round recreational
    opportunities while honouring the history of the park. The Natural Swim Experience relies on
    natural biological filtration and is chemical free.

The Project Coordinator is inviting the Bellevue Community League Board and the Borden Park Steering Committee to come and see the plan for the Natural Swimming Experience on Thursday September 12th at 7:00pm at The Bellevue Community League Building. Please come and join us if you can.
    If you do not have time on September 12th you can come to see the information with the public on Free Admission Day September 29, 11:00 – 4:00pm, Commonwealth Community Recreation Centre, 11000 Stadium Road."
    Parkdale

^ I am super excited for this park.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

As long as there is no SAND at this natural pool!

o god...
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

highlander

I love this idea.

^ the idea of sand.. or god lol

"natural swim experience" I read that poorly written piece 3 times before noticing that the term is defined at the end of the paragraph after stating the term multiple times.

Basic communication fail.

Why not just state "Chemical free swimming" I think people would all know what that means. What is this doubletalk?

Anyway, sorry about that rant..

Whats the difference anyway? Personally if I'm swimming in a public pool I want the damn thing overrun with chlorine or whatever else they put in. I'm not drinking the stuff I'm merely swimming in it. Why is this a big deal?

Next, what on earth is "natural biological infiltration"?
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-09-2013 at 11:13 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    As long as there is no SAND at this natural pool!
    I believe there will be.

highlander

If the early concept that I saw still stands it's not just chemical free, but it has "natural" features, including planted landscaping that doubles as filtration/purification.

As for chemical free, it's a big deal for people with exzema or similar conditions/sensitivities. My son can tolerate salt water pools, but normal chlorination leads to a few miserable itchy days no matter how well he rinses.

Plus all the natural living enthusiasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    "natural swim experience" I read that poorly written piece 3 times before noticing that the term is defined at the end of the paragraph after stating the term multiple times.

Basic communication fail.

Why not just state "Chemical free swimming" I think people would all know what that means. What is this doubletalk?

Anyway, sorry about that rant..

Whats the difference anyway? Personally if I'm swimming in a public pool I want the damn thing overrun with chlorine or whatever else they put in. I'm not drinking the stuff I'm merely swimming in it. Why is this a big deal?

Next, what on earth is "natural biological infiltration"?
    To be fair, this "piece" was really just a communiqué from the EFCL to stakeholders, informing them of the meetings.. not meant to be an information piece.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...tion-plan.aspx

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...onceptPlan.pdf
    Parkdale

C2E Long Term Contributor

Borden is such a nice park, looking forward to this.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

"Natural swimming experience" sounds like skinny dipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear View Post
    "Natural swimming experience" sounds like skinny dipping.
    My first impression tbh. I think they need to invent a new modern age lingo term. The one used has obvious other connotations.

Or like I said just stick to the basics. "Chemical free swimming". Too much sense I guess.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Unless the swimming pool is securely fenced and covered after operating hours (neither is shown on the concept plan), this swimming experience seems tailor-made for fecal contamination, misuse, or worse.

Small, shallow outdoor water bodies are never clean in nature, if by clean is meant suitable for swimming or wading by humans.

I'll be attending the meeting on the 12th. I know that it has been heavily researched and the city feels it will work. All we've seen to date is broad plans, I'll see if I can get some answers to some specific questions and will report back
    Parkdale

C2E Hard Core Contributor

When the City says this will be "the first public amenity of its kind in Canada," maybe there are reasons for this other than no one else has been clever enough to have thought of it until now.

Doesn't sound like the September 12 meeting is open to the public. I will check the information out at the Commonwealth Rec Centre on September 29.

I'm confused. The city has about a hundred excellent bodies of water that AHS says we can't use because they're not treated, and now we're boasting about the first natural experience that's not treated?

Just let us swim in the lakes built in every single new community.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^ What's stopping you ?

I wade out thigh deep into the Fort Sask when I take the dogs out for a swim... haven't died yet..

I'll wait to hear from folks who have some useful information, & we'll take it from there
    Parkdale

Just because it's natural, doesn't mean there isn't a filter system. It's just a bio-filtration system that will have a chemical backup.

It might be new here, but at the presentations they discussed how it's used elsewhere, particularly Germany was mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I'm confused. The city has about a hundred excellent bodies of water that AHS says we can't use because they're not treated, and now we're boasting about the first natural experience that's not treated?

lol... any farmkid knows you never swim in a dugout and city stormwater ponds are nothing but dugouts.

You are unintentionally calling for people to kill themselves Chimilz.

142119951-005
    08-Apr-2016
    7507 - BORDEN PARK ROAD NW
    Plan 2024KS Blk B

To demolish existing pool, north building, west building and the most southerly building - (Natural Swimming Experience - Borden Park)

ELLISDON CONSTRUCTION SERVICES INC, AARON SCHNEIDER

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post

lol... any farmkid knows you never swim in a dugout and city stormwater ponds are nothing but dugouts.

You are unintentionally calling for people to kill themselves Chimilz.
    Why? I was born in Genesee and swam behind beaver dams, in dugouts, and in gravel pits my entire childhood. It's not the wisest but I never succumbed to beaver fever. Just had to salt off a few leaches in my time.

If anything it helped my immune system. I can't remember the last time I had anything worse than a stuffy nose.

Bah, time to start hosing everyone down with a mixture of peanuts and shellfish. Firm up the gene pool a bit.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

142119951-004
    27-Apr-2016
    7507 - BORDEN PARK ROAD NW
    Plan 2024KS Blk B

To construct a public swimming pool and aquatic facility ("Natural Swim Experience" - Borden Park)

ELLISDON CONSTRUCTION SERVICES INC, AARON SCHNEIDER

$7,555,400

The pool and buildings are looking close to completion. I really like the grey granite stone that really stands out with the trees to the south.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    but I never succumbed to beaver fever.
    Does that mean you are not a heterosexual man or a lesbian? Beaver fever, hmmmm.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I was just thinking about this project the other day. It's supposed to open this summer, yes?

Yes it is. Borden park is a hidden jewel and the pool coming back will make it even better.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Excited.