Thread: Sherwood Park Councillor being blackmailed

Default Sherwood Park Councillor being blackmailed

C2E Long Term Contributor

He's being Weinered
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

"Gariepy said he has not met in person the woman who was involved in the online exchange in July. They appear to have conversed for a few weeks during that month before communication stopped."

I don't spend a lot of time in those kinda chat rooms(none, actually), and maybe I'm naive, but when a guy meets a random women who claims to be all foamin' at the mouth to engage in dirty chat with strangers, ya gotta figure there's at least a 50/50 chance it's not on the level.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Interesting he claiming defamation but acknowledges the material is real. Perhaps he doesn't know what defamation is.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

At least he is stepping up and admitting it, not like some weiners do. It always amazes me that people do not realize once something is posted on any web-site it usually never goes away. If you do not want to be found in compromising positions do not flaunt it on the web.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Aparently, he had some "important bonding moments" with his colleagues in a private room at a Toronto strip club...

Gariepy also discussed spending time with fellow councillors at strip clubs.

“I am fortunate my colleagues have successful businesses and spouses outside of council so they can afford to live it up a bit,” he wrote in one of the e-mails.

“I even had a picture taken with the stripper... which only my colleagues in question have seen,” Gariepy added.

“Those were important bonding moments. One councillor got a private room one night and it got a little insane in there.”

Even if you argue that his sex life is no one's business but his, mentioning the alleged involvement of other councillors is a pretty big screw-up. Especially since, as Paula Simon points out, he comes pretty close to revealing the identity of one of them...

Since there are only three women on the current council — two of whom are running for mayor — rumours and defamatory accusations are flying faster than on an episode of the most lurid nighttime soap.

And I like the part where he says his job would be great if he didn't have to work with people.

Sherwood Park News

Edmonton Journal

Its all quite fun here as a result.

MXV:

Do you live in Sherwood Park? If so, are Gariepy's sexting misadventures an issue? Or has it pretty much blown over?

Sherwood Parks very own Carlos Danger.

This would only be of interest if leibovici was named

Oh but his wife trusts him (I'm guessing about as much as Hillary trusts Bill or Huma Abedin trusts Anthony Weiner)
    http://www.630ched.com/2013/09/24/ga...lly-motivated/

He is disgusting .

The National Post

They go into a bit of detail about the electoral politics involved.

Personally, I'd guess that the person who exposed him was someone with a personal vendetta, not a political operative. Though I'm sure political operatives have done that sort of thing before.

There always seems to be something a little bit desperate when women stand by their man in these situations. The wife in this case seems to think her marriage is very strong. If that constitutes a strong marriage I would hate to see one on the rocks. Politicians are human but when they show such poor judgement as this maybe being in the public eye should not be for them. It's hard to look the part of a fine upstanding citizen when you are screwing around on your spouse. Anthony Weiner takes it to another level by thinking women want to see pictures of his junk. Really, who sits in the office thinking I'm bored, might as well send a few pictures of the jewels to females I barely know. Then they have to gall to run for office.

Gariepy is being challenged by a strong candidate who I think will take him out (so to speak). He has no other job so this is his livelihood, so he'll be hooped after the election, I'm guessing. Strathcona voters can't be so tolerant of this guy that they'll vote him back in, can they?

Gariepy can kiss the female votes goodbye. There may be a few guys in Sherwood Park pumping their fists and yelling 'go Gariepy go' and 'yur duh man' but I think they are few and far between. He should start updating his resume and polish up what he is going to say if he is asked what he likes to do in his spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Gariepy can kiss the female votes goodbye. There may be a few guys in Sherwood Park pumping their fists and yelling 'go Gariepy go' and 'yur duh man' but I think they are few and far between. He should start updating his resume and polish up what he is going to say if he is asked what he likes to do in his spare time.
    Very few men, I'd suggest. I'm male and see nothing worthwhile in the guy. I think he'll get killed at the pools.

If his wife can't trust him why should I?

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    If his wife can't trust him why should I?
    It's a perennial question, whether dishonesty in the bedroom can be taken as an omen of dishonesty in other facets of one's life. Personally, I can think of about a dozen politicians, all known philanderers, who I would have trusted over Richard Nixon, who was by all accounts monogamous.

For me, the biggest problem with Gariepy is not his dishonestly, but his indiscretion. I mean, come on, he reveals his strip-club exploits, all but naming fellow councillors as his accomplices, to someone he has only ever met on-line? Not smart at all.

It's also a question of naivety in this electronic age. It's one thing to talk suggestively to someone on-line/text/email, but when you start sending compromising pictures it's a whole new ball game (Anthony Weiner joke). A lot of people get that as 'crossing the line'. That's where the bad judgement comes in. Then there is the matter of trying to throw some of his peers under the bus. I don't care that he went to a strip joint as long as it was not on the public's dime. I don't care to hear about it or his flings. He could have approached all the people who got an envelope with the incriminating info and asked them to keep it under their hats while the police investigated. Maybe he thought he would get the sympathy vote by disclosing this. He supposedly went on a web-site for spouses looking to have affairs. No sympathy here.

It's also a question of naivety in this electronic age.
    Yeah, it truly amazes me how long it's taking people to catch up on the pitfalls of internet disclosures.

Basic rule: If you wouldn't want the whole world to know about something, don't put it on the internet. At least not under your own name.

It's also a question of naivety in this electronic age. It's one thing to talk suggestively to someone on-line/text/email, but when you start sending compromising pictures it's a whole new ball game (Anthony Weiner joke). A lot of people get that as 'crossing the line'. That's where the bad judgement comes in. Then there is the matter of trying to throw some of his peers under the bus. I don't care that he went to a strip joint as long as it was not on the public's dime. I don't care to hear about it or his flings. He could have approached all the people who got an envelope with the incriminating info and asked them to keep it under their hats while the police investigated. Maybe he thought he would get the sympathy vote by disclosing this. He supposedly went on a web-site for spouses looking to have affairs. No sympathy here.
    Most of my older friends won't even go on Facebook as it's too public for what they see as personal information and photos. In 10-15 years that thinking may be a relict of a long gone age and near anything might go.

In many ways you can tell we're still in transition though from past 'Victorian' beliefs. Eg girls can wear bikini swimwear in any pool any there isn't a boy anywhere that hasn't seen a lot of skin in swim class. However should a girl wear something half as 'revealing' in the regular class, parents and teachers all freak out.

^My views of Facebook are the same as Betty Whites. Yes, people see lots of skin in swim class etc. but I think wearing a bikini in regular class would be somewhat of a distraction. Plus social norms don't dictate you jump in the pool fully dressed just like they dictate you don't go to class in your underwear or swim suites.
    He may have been 'poached' by the person trying to blackmail him. Unfortunately for him, he took the bait.

Looks like Mr. Gariepy will now have even more time to devote to those professional bonding sessions.

link