Thread: 2014 Winter Olympics (Sochi) - Russian laws on LGBT

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default 2014 Winter Olympics (Sochi) - Russian laws on LGBT

Like him or hate him, you got to applaud what Brian Burke says about Russia's anti-gay laws, and what he's going to do about it at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...8485/index.htm
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Very thoughtful article, and a great honour for his late son.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I'd rather C2E than work!

He has the courage and the love that every man wishes (or should wish) to have for their own children.

I've a lot of respect for Mr. Burke. Well said.
    ... gobsmacked

Yessir, he aced it.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Posting Power

Shame the IOC doesn't seem to have men / women with equal courage. As horrible as these anti-LGBT laws in Russia are, I can understand their existence as the unfortunate reality of the world (not that it justifies the laws of course). That, globally, most gays and lesbians do not enjoy the same legal equalities we are fortunate to have in Canada.

What is totally inexcusable as been the complete lack of firm action or acknowledgement from the IOC. An international organization whose mission statement includes promoting peace and equality should not be so passive to act on a situation like this. Not that this is surprising / new, but it's unfortunate the IOC has become more concerned about pleasing sponsors than upholding the Olympic spirit.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I would sincerely hope that Top Dawg has been banned for the deleted post he made in this thread. That's easily one of the most offensive things I've seen on these boards.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wow, color me intrigued......

He suggested reprogramming camps with an array of physical tortures to fix the 'fudge packers'.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Not acceptable....

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I would sincerely hope that Top Dawg has been banned for the deleted post he made in this thread. That's easily one of the most offensive things I've seen on these boards.
    Nope, not banned.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by halocore View Post
    Shame the IOC doesn't seem to have men / women with equal courage. As horrible as these anti-LGBT laws in Russia are, I can understand their existence as the unfortunate reality of the world (not that it justifies the laws of course). That, globally, most gays and lesbians do not enjoy the same legal equalities we are fortunate to have in Canada.

What is totally inexcusable as been the complete lack of firm action or acknowledgement from the IOC. An international organization whose mission statement includes promoting peace and equality should not be so passive to act on a situation like this. Not that this is surprising / new, but it's unfortunate the IOC has become more concerned about pleasing sponsors than upholding the Olympic spirit.
    If Canada/Canadians feel so strongly about this issue they could always unilaterally boycott the event?... Or maybe "Owning the Podium" is more important than standing up for one's declared principles?
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I can't wait to ignore the games.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I'm too much of a late riser, so I might miss a lot of the prime time events, which'll probably occur at 10 in the morning.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I moved this thread here and retitled it for clarity as to the conversation. I may create an Olympic subforum back in sports, and if so, I will move this into that subforum.
    Ow

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    If Canada/Canadians feel so strongly about this issue they could always unilaterally boycott the event?... Or maybe "Owning the Podium" is more important than standing up for one's declared principles?
    I don't see many other countries boycotting. I suspect such would backfire, imagine if countries boycotted Canadian Olympics because of the oil sands, or the terrible conditions in many aboriginal communities? While I don't agree with Russia's laws, I think the approach of providing refugee status for people impacted to come to canada makes more sense, economically and politically.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

These Olympics are already an embarrassment to Russia. Having Obama send gay athletes in his place send a damn clear message. Many world leaders are boycotting the event. I think the only attention I may give is to the news covering the bloodshed and arrests and protests etc that I sadly expect to see.

Sochi 2014: IOC jeopardized safety of athletes and fans in awarding Games to Putin’s Russia

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...aaf_story.html

I considered vacaing there as I have friends on the winter olympic squad. with the LGBT thing, and russia getting all up in Ukraine (and out of the other side of their mouth screaming at everyone else to stay out of Ukrainian affairs) leaves me disgusted with the IOC giving Russia the games.. What a mess.. Total embarrasment.

**** poor planning and a just a continued demonstration that the IOC can be bought. What a friggin joke.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/sochi-m...gays-1.2512346
    I don't know what the problem is, then. Shades of 'Baghdad Bob', Saddam Hussein's information minister.
    Last edited by howie; 28-01-2014 at 12:57 AM.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Yeah, Russia is still in the knuckledragging phase.

But big events like these will always get terrorist threats that, more often than not, amount to a big pile of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Yeah, Russia is still in the knuckledragging phase.

How so ?

But big events like these will always get terrorist threats that, more often than not, amount to a big pile of nothing.

Yeah, no kidding.

It's when they don't make any noise that Top_Dawg gets concerned.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I have archived 13 posts that are seriously derailing this topic.

Discuss the topic at hand.
    Ow

Not related to gay laws but highly related to tolerance (or lack thereof).
    Environmental Activist Jailed During Sochi Olympics
    ...An activist who has reported on the environmental fallout from construction for the Sochi Olympics was found guilty Monday of swearing in public and ordered jailed for 15 days...
    http://enr.construction.com/yb/enr/a...y_id=195022890

Russian Neo-Nazis Allegedly Lure, Torture Gay Teens With Online Dating Scam

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3658636.html

if you folow this link below you can watch a video of a news report on the subject ot the rize of Neo Nazi groups using the anti gay laws to hide in full site.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...?utm_hp_ref=uk

be warned that the video ends with excepts of a gay man being forced to rape himself with a glass bottle after having what looks liek a gun put to his head.

I will not watch a single moment of the winter Olympics. I find it deplorable that the IOC can hold their event in such a state which giving lip service to a motto of fairness and inclusion.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post

you should not have hidden my pictures. They are subject relevant. This is the truth and yes it is disturbing. Boo on you for whitewashing things.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

This is awful EDP.

However, gay bashing occurs everywhere unfortunately - even in Canada, the U.S., and the U.K., it is not uncommon to read of assaults and, albeit rare, even murders.

Top_Dawg doesn't understand what the IOC has to do with it.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

you should not have hidden my pictures. They are subject relevant. This is the truth and yes it is disturbing. Boo on you for whitewashing things.

Are you seriously accusing me of whitewashing this topic?

If I was, this topic wouldn't exist in the first place. Your posts were a part of a massive derail, and like all posts that are contained within a massive derail, the entire string is archived in fairness to all posters involved.

How dare you.
    Ow

If I was, this topic wouldn't exist in the first place. Your posts were a part of a massive derail, and like all posts that are contained within a massive derail, the entire string is archived in fairness to all posters involved.

How dare you.
    I responded to you in private.

Those post are relevant to the discussion at hand. Horrible things are taking place in Russia. A neo nazi organization is on the rise allowed to do so at the expense of the health and safety of Gay people. If there ever was a time for a hitter comparison its now.. it's today... it's sad. Gay bashing may happen in many places but rarely is it organized. This neo nazi organization now has 30 known active cells.... and it's growing.

I support our athletes, please donate money to their respective organizations. Please do not buy IOC sponsored products and please don't watch the games.
    That's the most I can ask of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    This is awful EDP.

However, gay bashing occurs everywhere unfortunately - even in Canada, the U.S., and the U.K., it is not uncommon to read of assaults and, albeit rare, even murders.

The IOC... well....

Here is their charter. http://www.olympic.org/Documents/olympic_charter_en.pdf

here are their stated goals

In detail the role of the IOC, according to the Olympic Charter, is:

To encourage and support the promotion of ethics in sport as well as education of youth through sport and to dedicate its efforts to ensuring that, in sport, the spirit of fair play prevails and violence is banned;
    To encourage and support the organisation, development and coordination of sport and sports competitions;
    To ensure the regular celebration of the Olympic Games;
    To cooperate with the competent public or private organisations and authorities in the endeavour to place sport at the service of humanity and thereby to promote peace;
    To take action in order to strengthen the unity and to protect the independence of the Olympic Movement;
    To act against any form of discrimination affecting the Olympic Movement;
    To encourage and support the promotion of women in sport at all levels and in all structures with a view to implementing the principle of equality of men and women;
    To lead the fight against doping in sport;
    To encourage and support measures protecting the health of athletes;
    To oppose any political or commercial abuse of sport and athletes;
    To encourage and support the efforts of sports organisations and public authorities to provide for the social and professional future of athletes;
    To encourage and support the development of sport for all;
    To encourage and support a responsible concern for environmental issues, to promote sustainable development in sport and to require that the Olympic Games are held accordingly;
    To promote a positive legacy from the Olympic Games to the host cities and host countries;
    To encourage and support initiatives blending sport with culture and education;
    To encourage and support the activities of the International Olympic Academy (IOA) and other institutions which dedicate themselves to Olympic education.

http://www.olympic.org/about-ioc-institution

-end-

If you read this you will run across the words "solidarity" "promotion of inclusion and ability for all to practice sport" "equality of men and women in sport" "safety" "legacy" They play lip service to this by holding their event in a country who flying the face of their fundamental beliefs... for the all mighty dollar in my opinion.

From their own documents.... under the "Fundamental Principles of Olympism"

6. Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race,
    religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic
    Movement

Gay Athletes in Russia are not safe in Russia. Gay athletes are not free to practice sport safely in Russia... Russia is does not meet the IOC's own standards.
    7. Belonging to the Olympic Movement requires compliance with the Olympic Charter
    and recognition by the IOC.

Lastly..

Please support our athletes not the IOC. The IOC has written all this nicey nice stuff but is unwilling to stand behind it... or at least is not willing to do this on behalf of gays.

What I see in Russia is very scary for me... I hope you all ca understand that. I watch these videos and gasp, cry and feel extremely anxious. Not because I am afraid but I do it out of solidarity and compassion. well I lie I do feel afraid because as teh neo nazi organization post more and more videos of such nature... a new generation learns about hate and hears false messages about gay being pedophiles among other lies. what is scarier is when a leader of a country solidifies these lies.

Putin: Gay people will be safe at Olympics if they ‘leave kids alone’

Sorry for the rambling....
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 05-02-2014 at 05:34 PM.

How dare you.

Thank you, and most of us appreciate the efforts. I don't think we need yet another treatise on the selective history of civil rights in every other thread. I'm not convinced this is the appropriate forum to solve all the worlds problems. Perhaps this is meant to be a forum about Edmonton.
    Last edited by Replacement; 05-02-2014 at 06:11 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Or perhaps its a forum for Edmontonians to discuss topics of interest to them.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Or perhaps its a forum for Edmontonians to discuss topics of interest to them.
    Well, it was just a shot in the dark. There I go being wrong again.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

You're both right.

This forum is probably not going to solve world hunger, but if that topic came up to discuss, then discuss it we shall.

If a set of posts go sideways in the world hunger thread, then they would be archived like any other thread.

If someone wanted specific points put forth to be brought back, they could simply ask instead of making a public accusation of whitewashing or censorship.

It is pretty simple. Now, back on topic please.
    Ow

As usual John Scalzi has masterfully summed up my feelings on Sochi and the Olympics in general:

I’m sitting them out.... the unfathomable graft and incompetence and horrible homophobic bigotry that surrounds this particular iteration of the Olympics has massively swamped my usual benign indifference to the thing.
    The Olympic Games are what they are: a floating, rotating boondoggle-shaped ****cake of graft, venality and cronyism, with a spotty icing of athleticism spread thinly on the top to mask the taste of the **** as it goes down the gullet.
    I've never been a fan of the IOC or how the Olympics are run, but this year has gone so far in it's support for a thuggish regime, abuse of minorities, massive corruption, and graft that I'm going to do my best to avoid them completely this year.

Fortunately CBC has helped by not running the World at Six podcasts during the Olympics.

Oh and as a side note: Why the Sochi Olympics are the Most Expensive in History

Seeing as its also on google.ru it will be interesting to see if Russia takes legal action against Google. I suspect they won't.

The civic government of our city has also made its feeling on Russia clear.
    From the city of Edmonton twitter account:

Don Iveson was on 630 Ched this morning, saying they'd have the flag up for the duration of the games.

^ Yay....

I love my country and my city.

Like all winter Olympics, this is pretty much another hockey tournament with a bunch of other things going on around it.

Go Canada go.

^ I love the winter Olympics.. I have since Calgary.

I hate not being able to watch...

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    The civic government of our city has also made its feeling on Russia clear.
    From the city of Edmonton twitter account:

Don Iveson was on 630 Ched this morning, saying they'd have the flag up for the duration of the games.
    Nice move C of E.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

C2E Super Addict

Like all winter Olympics, this is pretty much another hockey tournament with a bunch of other things going on around it.
    From the Canadian perspective no doubt.... In the other countries where I've lived the event barely registers... One is vaguely aware of the fact there's some skiing featured on the news for a week or so.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

From the Canadian perspective no doubt.... In the other countries where I've lived the event barely registers... One is vaguely aware of the fact there's some skiing featured on the news for a week or so.
    and then in other winter countries its a huge deal.

In the other countries where I've lived the event barely registers
    Which event - Winter Olympics, or hockey?

Probably both, I suppose.

Yeah, the U.K. is not a very diversified (sports) country. It's either soccer or darts and that's it.
    Last edited by Gemini; 07-02-2014 at 05:42 PM.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

^ Olympic deep frying....

C2E Super Addict

In the other countries where I've lived the event barely registers
    Which event - Winter Olympics, or hockey?

Probably both, I suppose.
    Ah sorry, I didn't make that very clear. Yes the whole thing really.

I notice it's getting a fair bit of international coverage at the moment, but that has more to do with the politics than with anything to do with sport.

The winter Olympics has always been the smaller event. But a lot less of the planet sees snow as well... so it more about logic than anything it being less relevant. Less relevant to whom?

C2E Super Addict

The winter Olympics has always been the smaller event. But a lot less of the planet sees snow as well... so it more about logic than anything it being less relevant. Less relevant to whom?
    Less relevant to most of the world... These are expensive, first world passtimes, that the majority of the world's population would be priced out of participating in even if the lack of frigid weather conditions were not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    This is awful EDP.

The huge difference in Russia is that the government either turns a blind eye, or implicitly encourages these brutal beatings and harassments of LGBT people. Putin's government does not charge and arrest these violent homophobic criminals that seek out LGBT people and assault them. They are tacitly okay with it, in fact.

And the IOC knows this, and they are turning a blind eye to it as well.

You can't say the same of governments in Canada, the US, or the UK.

Putin has many opinions on social health:

Putin Wages War on Vodka as Lifestyle Death Toll Mounts

One thing he wants is to dry out the drunks.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan