Thread: Fort Saskatchewan residents question safety of Highway 15 bridge

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Fort Saskatchewan residents question safety of Highway 15 bridge

Fort Saskatchewan have concerns about the safety of highway 15 Bridge. This bridge is the busiest bridge in this town and Mayor is pushing to have 2nd bridge built to ease congestion.

http://globalnews.ca/news/840487/for...way-15-bridge/
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Administrator *

I think they should twin that bridge. No need to create a whole new corridor right now. Just expand the corridor that's already there.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    I think they should twin that bridge. No need to create a whole new corridor right now. Just expand the corridor that's already there.
    I take this bridge every day and I agree. They're trying to make a corridor that takes vehicles to the south end of Ft. Sask, probably to try and squeeze more photo radar tickets out of people.
    The other, and better option is to twin 15 and bypass the entire city, coming out between Dow Chemical and Shell.

No room to squeeze extra lanes easy of the bridge...

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ yeah should be a merge. Mods?

Also

This bridge does need to be widened to two lanes because this connects to both manning freeway and hwy 37. The amount of traffic between st albert and ft sask will continue to grow and with the opening of the henday both nw and ne that will grow even further. If they can't widen then something wider needs to be put in it's place

In addition another bridge south of ft sask needs to be built too both for redundancy and to alleviate traffic that has to go through the middle of town to get to this bridge. That extra traffic definitely isn't helping. And with some of the projects set to go up for upgrading bitumen, and oil transport hubs plus other large industrial projects the amount of traffic will continue to grow and this bridge is one of the few crossings and will just keep getting busier and busier.

I have taken this bridge a lot and in the last few years the amount of traffic has seemingly exploded.

St albert is growing, north edmonton is growing fort sask is growing, and big industrial projects are going up in the region this bridge is a huge connection and during peak hours is absolutely bumper to bumper which is completely unacceptable considering the volume that currently exists and what that volume will become in 10 years. replacement in 2029 would be nuts and for hours a day this thing will be a parking lot.

Fort sask also needs a freeway bypass or something. Free flow for large truck traffic and the like would be good for the city as well..

One can dream at least.

While I think the province should build a bypass to south of Fort Saskatchewan to Highway 21, it does look like twinning the road and bridge is finally (30 years too late) in the 3 year plan
    http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ram.pdf#page=7

Yeah, finally being twinned. Curious to see what they do with that mess at 15/37/825 just north of the river. There was talk of turning it into a big traffic circle. I hope whoever came up with that idea go tossed in the river.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Looks like they dropped the traffic circle, still a bit of a mess but the ramp to 15 will help
    http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ite%20plan.pdf

The report with the traffic circles is here...
    http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...MARYREPORT.PDF

Why create two traffic circles rather than one larger one?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

The two sets of lights and the exit lane for the right turn from 15 from Ft. Sask on to 825 (toward Redwater) should help a bit. Traffic circle(s) would have been a disaster there. Hopefully this happens in between construction phases at Sturgeon Refinery. Wondering what they're planning for the 99th Ave overpass in Ft. Sask. Have to rebuild that overpass somehow to accommodate twinning.

It's the double lefts from those heading back to the Fort after work that is the major bottleneck. Nothing short of an overpass will solve that.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Well, if they get the traffic lights co-ordinated correctly, it will help. The stop sign really screws things up there. The traffic going to Edmonton should get to go straight, while a decent amount of traffic to Ft. Sask should be able to go left through both intersections in one go.

Don't think they'll want to invest in an interchange there if they plan on an interchange later at 28A/15 when they put the new bridge in.

Except the 28A interchange would have no impact on this considering the traffic issues here are coming from Northwest Upgrader, Agrium, and other industries to the NE by Redwater.

Well, the traffic back-ups northbound over the bridge are pretty bad too, but I get what you're saying.

I can't even think what type of interchange would work there, the roads come together at such weird angles. A diamond wouldn't work, it'd need to be free flow all directions I think, and that's big time bucks.

C2E Long Term Contributor

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ercrossing.htm

Public Meetings -You are invited to attend a public meeting to learn about the project, its purpose and timeline, and to provide input to inform our understanding of the study area.

Wednesday, April 19 2017, 4 – 8 p.m.
    Bethel Lutheran Church, 298 Bethel Drive,
    Sherwood Park, AB T8H 2C3
    Drop-in with presentations at 5:30 and 7 p.m.

Thursday, April 20 2017, 4 – 8 p.m.

Horse Hill School, 19355 Meridian Street NW,
    Edmonton, AB T5Y 6E5
    Drop-in with presentations at 5:30 and 7 p.m.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012