Thread: Comments on Leibovici releasing campaign donors list

Partially Addicted to C2E

Default Comments on Leibovici releasing campaign donors list

{ADMIN EDIT}

I merged the campaign donation questions from the Mayor's Chair thread as this is a seperate topic. Please let me know if there are any others to be split out.

{END EDIT}

Leibovici releases current donor list:
    http://karenformayor.ca/wp-content/u...pt-16-2013.pdf

C2E Long Term Contributor

One has but to look at that list to see how entrenched she is with A LOT of groups. Rumours peg her donations at a cool mil.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

$365,000

First One is Always Free

Default Comments on Leibovici releasing campaign donors list

While this has the appearance of transparency:

- these lists include numbered companies, and
    - individual donors are often employees of larger companies. The twist is that their name (and family members) write a cheque to the candidate's campaign fund. The company reimburses the individuals for their donation. This way companies can give substantially larger donations to one candidate's campaign fund.

Interesting fact.

Comments?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^If you have proof (or can even point out an example) of individual donors being reimbursed by their employers in order to circumvent contribution limits, please provide it.

The obvious explanation for Leibovici's release of donor names is to appear to be more transparent than the other candidates.

A less obvious explanation is sending a shock and awe message. Something like: 'Look, I've raised over a third of a million bucks before nomination day. I've got many of the wealthiest companies and individuals in Edmonton behind me. If (as is likely) you've only raised a fraction of this, I can buy the best organizers and bury you with billboards, radio, TV and print ads." A rather intimidating message for the organizers of the other campaigns.

First One is Always Free

Obviously, I'm not going to give out any names. I can live with the fact that many do not want to believe this is true. I also don't think this release of information before an election makes much difference as disclosure is made public a few months after the election. If you check through the list of donations made to 2010 civic campaigns, you'll notice that a lot of the money has come from the same companies. More often than not the companies fairly give to most of the candidates.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Speaking of transparency, this thread and "discussion" is a pretty transparent attempt by someone who is very clearly in camp Diotte to try to drum up some ill-will toward another candidate's campaign.

For someone with so much campaign experience, this is a pretty pathetic move in my opinion.

I heard Iveson's going to release the donors as well. Will Diotte? I thought these "man of the people" types are supposed to be pro-taxpayer/pro-transparency?

Do we really need a separate topic on this when this is already being discussed in the other thread? Be nice to keep one discussion in one thread.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Frankly, I'm more interested in Leibovici's logic behind what appears to be the dopiest photo-op since Gilles Duceppe at the cheese factory or Michael Dukakis in the tank!

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...576/story.html

well one interesting observation is diane kipnes appears in the maximum bracket, and her husband irv is credited with another $1000-3000. there's not necessarily any wrongdoing there, since the maximum contributions are applied to an individual or a corporation, but it does beg the question why one household would write two separate checks other than to contribute beyond the individual limit.. deep pockets

That's pretty common practice for wealthy couples donating to campaigns everywhere.

it's nice to see this information out there. at least it's honest. i do wonder why kerry diotte has not commented on putting his list forward. will some skelatons surface?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Diotte probably hasn't raised any money... His supporters are generally the kind of people that have the most obnoxious voice in the room, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Speaking of transparency, this thread and "discussion" is a pretty transparent attempt by someone who is very clearly in camp Diotte to try to drum up some ill-will toward another candidate's campaign.

For someone with so much campaign experience, this is a pretty pathetic move in my opinion.
    /thread winner. No further comments will be more relevant than this. The thread may be closed now.

Quote Originally Posted by Complicated View Post
    Obviously, I'm not going to give out any names.
    Speaking of transparency...it takes a quick look through your past posts to see you are solidly behind Kerry Diotte. Perhaps even working on his campaign.

It's fairly easy to make vague accusations and smear candidates. If you have knowledge of finance rules being broken, you should report it to election authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    That's pretty common practice for wealthy couples donating to campaigns everywhere.
    Exactly. Companies do the same thing, nothing wrong there.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Interesting fact.

Comments?
    What's your point?

This is what Kerry Diotte does with everything:
    1. States a few cherry-picked points that try to drum up controversy
    2. Asks what everyone else thinks about it
    3. Disappears and does nothing

This is apparently his campaign strategy as well.

Kerry - you are not a journalist anymore. It's time to stop asking questions, and come up with some solutions.

- individual donors are often employees of larger companies. The twist is that their name (and family members) write a cheque to the candidate's campaign fund. The company reimburses the individuals for their donation. This way companies can give substantially larger donations to one candidate's campaign fund.
    Curious about the accounting of this. Does the money count as income for the employee or does the employee simply expense it back. If the latter, how does it appear on the company's books? Companies are regularly audited so it would need to be accounted accurately.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Glad she is publishing this list early in the game !
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Would not matter to me if Leibovici raised $5 million she is not my first choice on the ballot. I don't know why she would release her donors when it does not have to be made public until next spring. The election is another 4 + weeks away. What if she gets a few more big donations between now and then. Will she declare them?. Seems bogus to me.
    Last edited by Gemini; 20-09-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    ^If you have proof (or can even point out an example) of individual donors being reimbursed by their employers in order to circumvent contribution limits, please provide it.

The obvious explanation for Leibovici's release of donor names is to appear to be more transparent than the other candidates.

A less obvious explanation is sending a shock and awe message. Something like: 'Look, I've raised over a third of a million bucks before nomination day. I've got many of the wealthiest companies and individuals in Edmonton behind me. If (as is likely) you've only raised a fraction of this, I can buy the best organizers and bury you with billboards, radio, TV and print ads." A rather intimidating message for the organizers of the other campaigns.
    Some companies do this, others used to do this but no longer reimburse donations.

Addicted to C2E

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.......... this is for the accusations by Complicated.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Cal76 View Post
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.......... this is for the accusations by Complicated.
    Hear, hear. It's entirely possible that stuff like this happens, but without some sort of evidence -- and I'm not even talking about a standard that would be admissible in a court of law -- it's pointless speculation. Damned if you do release your donor list, damned if you don't.