Thread: Diotte Dupes Restaurant Owners

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Diotte Dupes Restaurant Owners

Are you guys following the responses from Diotte to his crappy little film? He duped Blue Chairs into allowing an anti arena "film" taken in their restaurant. What a jerk!!!! Read Paula Simons in the EJ.

Duped isn't the correct way to phrase it...

They asked to use the resto as a local, and the owner didn't ask questions...

What I see is a lost opportunity for Diotte to show he is a human and not a sound bite generator and tweeting robot... which he didn't. I t just goes to show who Kerry is out for... that being himself.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Being discussed in this thread....................

The Race for the Mayor's Chair
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Addicted to C2E

This is the article (well-written, as usual) by Paula simons-
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...028/story.html

Read it and decide for yourself.
    I'd say KD stinks!

C2E Long Term Contributor

I don't suppose Diotte will be eating there again...assuming the owner doesn't put a lifetime ban on him.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

First One is Always Free

Blue Plate Diner should be pleased with the free publicity courtesy of Paula Simons (and whichever candidate's staff who probably stirred this up). I'd never heard of this restaurant before.

C2E SME

I think the best thing, if Kerry Diotte wants to save face, is apologize. The worst part about Kerry is that he shows very little, if any, humility, and he won't admit a mistake.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Complicated View Post
    Blue Plate Diner should be pleased with the free publicity courtesy of Paula Simons (and whichever candidate's staff who probably stirred this up). I'd never heard of this restaurant before.
    You have never heard of the Blue Plate Diner. Where do you live, under a rock or have you just been in Edmonton a few weeks?.
    As for 'free publicity' well, Justin Beiber was there last year so they did get a fair bit of publicity in the press and on local T.V. It appears you must not be into reading papers or watching T.V. hence your Diotte fixation.

Blue Plate doesn't need any publicity...they've been a popular dining spot for 10 years now.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Blue Plate doesn't need any publicity...they've been a popular dining spot for 10 years now.
    This

Also, I really hope edmontonians are leaning towards a new leader of iveson/leibovici's ilk, rather than diotte/ jankanin(sp?)
    i love lamp

You haven't missed anything.

Some kind of hip mac n cheese place for all the people that like to go out to a restaurant when they're not chasing the latest hip food trucks.

But on this board Blue Plate Diner is elevated to some kind of Haute Cuisine.

Lol at the reaction this is getting.

Initially people getting upset with blue plate diner then saying boycott, then reconsidering because they love this smelly place.

But lots of aimless rants in the meantime. People here do love to get upset with lil ol Kerry.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    You have never heard of the Blue Plate Diner. Where do you live, under a rock or have you just been in Edmonton a few weeks?.
    As for 'free publicity' well, Justin Beiber was there last year so they did get a fair bit of publicity in the press and on local T.V. It appears you must not be into reading papers or watching T.V. hence your Diotte fixation.
    Anybody that doesn't follow the script here that 104st is Edmontons wondrous version of Champs de Elyse and doesn't frequent the street wouldn't know the place exists.

I'd imagine over 95% of Edmontonians never set foot in the place.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

Maybe not, but anybody who has been downtown would know that it's a popular eating establishment. Replacement, I guess these same people must be stupid enough not to know that Jasper Avenue is downtown's main street.

C2E Super Addict

Rima Devitt just wanted to do a regular customer a favour.

“A fellow came in and said, ‘We want to film a spot for a mayoral candidate,’” she recalls. “He said, ‘We want to use your space and your natural light, because it’s very low budget.’”

And so, she agreed to let the Kerry Diotte campaign use her restaurant.

“On Twitter, any jerk can say, ‘I’m not going to go to the Blue Plate any more, because they support Kerry Diotte.’ ”

Devitt says the filmmakers didn’t get her to sign a legal release. But then, she didn’t ask to read the script in advance, either.

“I’m embarrassed by my own lack of judgment in being so naive.”
    Lesson learned. Move along, nothing else to see here folks....

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Sorry, but the restaurtant owners come off as even more clueless than Diotte's defenders have been making out.

“A fellow came in and said, ‘We want to film a spot for a mayoral candidate,’” she recalls.

“On Twitter, any jerk can say, ‘I’m not going to go to the Blue Plate any more, because they support Kerry Diotte.’ ” END QUOTE

So, she KNEW it was for a mayoral candidate, but she's now complaining about being identified with that candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Anybody that doesn't follow the script here that 104st is Edmontons wondrous version of Champs de Elyse and doesn't frequent the street wouldn't know the place exists.
    Aaah just segue into hating on the Farmer's Market while you're in the neighbourhood...
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    Aaah just segue into hating on the Farmer's Market while you're in the neighbourhood...
    Well, lets stick to the topic at hand. My own take is I wouldn't go back to Blue Plate anyway.

But with the manager being seen to be so inept and incompetent in this matter I wonder if anybody is more deterred by the managers action, response, and reaction, rather than the actual video.

I'm astounded that the managers judgement and "damage control" looks far worse than the actual video.

The manager of the Blue Plate Diner is essentially complaining to the media about why she got duped. I would say that's on her. Laugh a minute that she is compounding this though reaction.

wow, i can't believe the defence of diotte here. sure, the resto owner should have asked more questions, but after she found out what happened, she asked for a correction. her restuarant was identified with the campaign.

the more telling aspect to all of this is diotte's response. it's very underhanded. this is how he treats a tax paying business, the supposed little guy he's fighting for? it's deceptive and indicative of how he will be as mayor.

imagine if karen or don did this, the diotte supporters would be crying foul (btw, if those two candidates did, so would i)

this little stunt exposes diotte and if people can't see the forest from the trees, than i feel sorry for you and your blind loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    wow, i can't believe the defence of diotte here. sure, the resto owner should have asked more questions, but after she found out what happened, she asked for a correction. her restuarant was identified with the campaign.

the more telling aspect to all of this is diotte's response. it's very underhanded. this is how he treats a tax paying business, the supposed little guy he's fighting for? it's deceptive and indicative of how he will be as mayor.

imagine if karen or don did this, the diotte supporters would be crying foul (btw, if those two candidates did, so would i)

this little stunt exposes diotte and if people can't see the forest from the trees, than i feel sorry for you and your blind loyalty.
    The restaurant is not identified in the video. It is only recognized by patrons who apparently complained. The manager was the one who in response "identified" that the Blue Plate was where the video was shot. Thus compounding her issue.

Its funny that "deceptive" and "underhanded" and "cheating" are being mentioned so much in the context of a contemptible arena deal.

"If only people could see the forest for the trees"

First One is Always Free

Nope, never heard of the Blue Plate Diner. Also I don't follow Justin Beiber stories. I'm not 14. We don't all live at home in our parents' basement and have the time and money to dine out out in all the trendy restaurants. I prefer to shop and dine mostly in my own community to support local businesses.

Its funny that "deceptive" and "underhanded" and "cheating" are being mentioned so much in the context of a contemptible arena deal.
    So the arena deal justifies sleazy campaigning by Diotte?
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

"The restaurant is not identified in the video. It is only recognized by patrons who apparently complained"

i hope you realize the irony of that statement. take your blinders off, man!

So the arena deal justifies sleazy campaigning by Diotte?
    Personally I think its silly all round. I don't personally like the video. But more because of how ham handed it is. Maybe Diotte succumbed to the menu at hand.

Sleazy? Well that's subjective.

Put it this way. The Arena deal stinks enough that it over rides any other olfactory sensitivity.

Its odd to see the reaction in the thread to perceived dishonesty. Where was this reaction from people to any of the nonstop chicanery involved in the Arena saga?

Oh wait that was all justified in the notion of some contrived benefit.

Well, I guess I'm siding with Diotte on this, but I have no loyalty to him whatsoever. As a former resident who still identifies as Edmontonian, I'm actually a little worried about him possibly becoming mayor, 'cuz I think he might throw our image back a little bit. While I don't know a lot about his policies, from what I've seen, I would not be inclined to vote for the guy.

I guess Diotte COULD have taken the ad down, though I don't quite see how he's obligated to. He told them it was for a mayoral campaign, they agreed to allow him to use their premises, and then the campaign spent time and money making the ad. So, the campaign needs to re-do the whole thing because the owners don't like the finished product that they had already consented to? I just don't see the reasoning there.

For what it's worth, though, the ad seems to have been removed from You Tube, since I can't find it using any of the relevant search words. But in any case, more people will associate the ad with Diotte than ever would have had the owners not gone public with their complaints.

"The restaurant is not identified in the video. It is only recognized by patrons who apparently complained"

lol

What? That Diotte might lose the few Blue plate diner patrons that would be voting for him in the first place.

I doubt many frequenting the establishment would be any more likely to vote Diotte than denizens of this Connect2Downtown, whoops, board.

Diotte may not get many votes downtown. Not like he'll need to. I daresay he speaks for most of the rest of the city.

Put it this way. The Arena deal stinks enough that it over rides any other olfactory sensitivity.

Its odd to see the reaction in the thread to perceived dishonesty. Where was this reaction from people to any of the nonstop chicanery involved in the Arena saga?
    You believe the arena deal justifies this type of campaigning. That is a dicey and ill-considered precedent to set.

First One is Always Free

lol

What? That Diotte might lose the few Blue plate diner patrons that would be voting for him in the first place.

I doubt many frequenting the establishment would be any more likely to vote Diotte than denizens of this Connect2Downtown, whoops, board.

Diotte may not get many votes downtown. Not like he'll need to. I daresay he speaks for most of the rest of the city.
    Darn, I've got quite a few family members and friends who live near and in the downtown area. They've not only told me they'd vote for Diotte, they've even had signs put on their property. Should I be so naive as to honestly hold onto the belief that they are actually going to put their X beside Diotte's name in the upcoming ballots. Did they only write their cheques in support because they didn't want to hurt my feelings? I'm feeling conflicted. Do they really love me??

" this type of campaigning'

What "type of campaigning" would that be? The kind where you ask someone for permission to film a campaign-ad in their restaurant, and they say "Sure, go ahead", and then you film the ad?

I really don't think that's Watergate II.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    " this type of campaigning'

What "type of campaigning" would that be? The kind where you ask someone for permission to film a campaign-ad in their restaurant, and they say "Sure, go ahead", and then you film the ad?

I really don't think that's Watergate II.
    Exactly.

As with many things some confirmation bias is taking place here. People that dislike Diotte are finding ways to dislike him anyway. With any number of adjectives and phrases being indicative preamble to that.

As soon as somebody states something like that it basically denotes the bias in effect.

Like "Replacement" commenting on Blue Plate diner. lol (which is a harmless topic and not meant to be taken seriously, even less so now..)

You believe the arena deal justifies this type of campaigning. That is a dicey and ill-considered precedent to set.
    I believe your mind is made up on this. Am I wrong?

Is there a reason for us to discuss this with each other beyond getting the big mallets out?

Is there a reason for us to discuss this with each other beyond getting the big mallets out?
    I believe you're being evasive. And no, not really.

I believe you're being evasive. And no, not really.
    You just evaded my primary query above. Or did you?
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-09-2013 at 12:43 PM.

But on this board Blue Plate Diner is elevated to some kind of Haute Cuisine.
    Really? I've read more criticism of the Blue Plate on this board than I have anywhere else. I suspect if you do a search on it, you'll find more negative mentions than positive ones. (I like the place, myself.)
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

A post from SPLIFF from SKYSCRAPER PAGE today.

I lost all respect for Diotte when I read one of his mediocre articles that he wrote for the Edmonton Sun. I tried to find the article on the internet, but couldn’t. The article was about how annoying children are, and questioned why people should have children. He criticized parenthood, and went to advocate that people who don’t have children should not pay school taxes or any tax related to children. It was the stupidest piece of “journalism” I have ever read. If this person becomes our Mayor, it will be one of the worst days in Edmonton’s proud history.

I'd imagine over 95% of Edmontonians never set foot in the place.
    The owners of the Blue Plate Diner may have got the wrong end of the stick as far as the ad was concerned but lets face it, this ad is on YouTube and elderly people don't usually go to YouTube for their choice in government. They think YouTube is some kind of hemorrhoid cream. Diotte's main following is elderly people who can stretch a cent into a copper pipe, possibly the Beavis & Butthead crowd and people who are so bushed they don't read papers or watch T.V.

C2E SME

C2E SME

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I get annoyed with people who think that just because I live in Edmonton (and work downtown), I have to have heard of every hipster restaurant in the downtown.

As it happens I do know the Blue Plate because our department had lunch there one day. The noise was appalling and the food was not great. I will never return.

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Knuckles View Post

I lost all respect for Diotte when I read one of his mediocre articles that he wrote for the Edmonton Sun. I tried to find the article on the internet, but couldn’t. The article was about how annoying children are, and questioned why people should have children. He criticized parenthood, and went to advocate that people who don’t have children should not pay school taxes or any tax related to children. It was the stupidest piece of “journalism” I have ever read. If this person becomes our Mayor, it will be one of the worst days in Edmonton’s proud history.

If the article is not online then there has be archived columns at the library

We should dig some of them up!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

Haha...Awesome.

Diotte's main following is elderly people who can stretch a cent into a copper pipe, possibly the Beavis & Butthead crowd and people who are so bushed they don't read papers or watch T.V.
    You know this assumption is so off base it's scary.

I live in a nice solid blue collar neighborhood, lots of young families, growing elementary school (finally). Not that many over 60 anymore (and no I ain't) and I would say 40-60 are now in the minority.

Diotte signs are in the majority, matter of fact other than signs for Ward 2 candidates I can't recall any other mayoralty candidate signs.

Biggest complaints at parents meetings and such, lousy transit (and this is a very mature area not a new subdivision), lousy road maintenance (I have to agree with some being impassable most of the winter) and with so many being first time buyers, rising taxes.

I'm not counting the entire school issue as it is not municipal government it's ESPB/ECSB.

These are younger well informed folks that are sick of fighting to get permits for reno's (some have waiting for over a year on flamin decks), are frustrated with the way the entire Ward seems to have been ignored and that they see no value for their taxes.

Now I won't make up my mind who I am going to vote for till I get to the debates and have some time to dig a little deeper, but to try and block the fact a lot of people are upset about things other than Downtown and to assume that Diotte's following is any demographic is a real bad plan for any political candidate.

In my highly biased personal opinion
    Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 22-09-2013 at 10:17 AM.

i still don't get the kerry diotte appeal. i like to keep an open mind, but the common sense portion keeps fighting back. i like edmonton, i like the direction the city is going. and i think many north american cities would love to be in our position.

i am still trying to understand the 'vision' kerry diotte has for edmonton? keep it a small town? have it just a place to work, make money, and then leave? how will he engage the business community, the arts community? how will he build consensus with senior levels of government?

mandel has thrown hissy fits at the province and ottawa before. but in the end, i believe senior politicians respect him. (that's the hallmark of a good politician)

i don't want things done on the cheap like kerry diotte insists. he didn't support the closure date of the city centre airport, he doesn't support annexation. (to me, that's an indication he supports sprawl, as opposed to controlled growth. and it's sprawl that is what is drawing on the tax bill. he should know that!)

through his first term, what did he accomplish? what was he able to build consensus on? i can't recall anything. and people want him to be mayor?

then there's the 'diotte or detroit' slogan? he knows (and has acknowledged) edmonton will not turn to detroit. so, why use it? why scare people? i think detroit would love to be in edmonton's position!

and the icing on the cake (so far) is how he threw blue plate under the bus for his infomercial??!! it's telling to his character, i believe. this business pays taxes and he used them. these are hard working restaurant owners and he took advantage of them and their good will. how could a would-be mayor do that?

i still don't get the kerry diotte appeal.
    Easy, he is connecting with the average Edmontonian and their immediate concerns.

i like the direction the city is going.
    Appreciate that, but many don't and others might generally but feel their area or concerns are being ignored.

he didn't support the closure date of the city centre airport, he doesn't support annexation.
    Check the threads on those specific topics...many on here that would not consider Diotte as an option also don't support both those decisions. That shows the gap between views and the disconnect between the thoughts on this internet forum and what appears to be a large portion of Edmontonians.

he took advantage of them and their good will. how could a would-be mayor do that?
    Do you realize how many popular politicians that could apply too? Everyone that has had to deal with politicians and bureaucracy comes away with a different experience.

Compared to some I have had first hand views of and some I am currently dealing with this whole video thing is just a total non issue.

i'm sorry but i call you on that. if a candidate came to you last election and used the aviation museum for a pro closure campaign ad, you would be furious! and you would rightfully demand a retraction. politicians use private venues as political props all the time, but they make sure the venue agrees with their stance.

Reading some things in this thread and others where people are citing that Diotte doesn't like kids, doesn't like cyclists, and then all the invective adjectives in this thread used to describe his behavior. Several posts even coming from reasonable, intelligent people that usually have a lot of astute things to say.

Which suggest to me that the topic has become emotional. That even intelligent posters are posting from hip on this issue. Which happens to us all.

But I'll remind people that it isn't really relevant what a candidate thinks about kittens, puppies, children or cyclists. It probably doesn't meaningfully impact in anyway. Not even sure if the comments can be taken as anything more than rant by somebody not beyond invoking curmudgeon. Certainly I can spot that from where I stand. lol

If we judge anybody on some selective likes, dislikes, disagreement, alternate views we end up judging everybody. No one persons viewpoint reflects what all other people believe in. Yet some of the witchhunt involved here on the board in respect to Kerry Diotte has gone way past the point of being even remotely acceptable and with this being one of the few instances where I've noted admin having to wipe several comments out of view.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-09-2013 at 02:20 PM.

i'm sorry but i call you on that. if a candidate came to you last election and used the aviation museum for a pro closure campaign ad, you would be furious! and you would rightfully demand a retraction. politicians use private venues as political props all the time, but they make sure the venue agrees with their stance.
    First off...

NO and I repeat NO filming or photography (other than personal non commercial) happens in the Aviation Museum unless we are fully informed and we have refused many requests for sound reasons.

If ANY Candidate approached (or approaches) us we would have to be fully informed of what the commercial was, the message being sent and exactly how our facility was being portrayed...BEFORE any permissions would be given.

Second...

To your specific example no pro closure or pro open airport campaign was given or would have been given permission...it would have gone against the direction given by the board.

That said, there is nothing stopping anyone from taking pictures or any site from a public area (sidewalk as an example) and using them. Whcih is a completely different case from using a site with permission.

Giving permission for your site or business to be used without fully knowing what is being done or protrayed is just not wise.

I will bet the restraunt involved will never make the same mistake again for ANY filming or photography.

Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 22-09-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Kerry introduced himself, apparently identified himself as a mayoral candidate, asked for permission to film the video on premises, the manager agreed, gave consent, and would I think know full well what Kerry stances are likely to be and whether or not her, or her clientele would tend to agree with them or not.

Is it Kerry, or the Managers business to know whether or not this would cause the establishment any grief?

Lets be clear here too. Virtually ANY Kerry campaign spot regardless of content therein would cause the restaurant some grief based on filming the video there and with this possibly perceived to mean the premises supports his campaign. Its generally questionable policy for an establishment to associate clearly with a campaign or candidate unless support of such action was deemed to be favorable.

Its common sense. Any home owner decides whether they want to visibly associate with a campaign and lend approval for a sign on a lawn. Any resident makes a grant or refuse decision on the basis of their commitment and with a view to what neighbors might think. Its not complicated and most people manage to figure out the consequences one way or the other.

Its up to the manager to control this and to act accordingly to grant, or deny permission.

I get the impression Diotte and his followers walk around the city and when they see any signs of progress they holla 'Bah Humbug". Throw rocks at cranes and hold vigils at street potholes. The reason Diotte is campaigning on past issues is that he does not have any issues going forward. He can't change the arena deal and said he does not want too and yet he is chuntering on about it. 90% of the population of Edmonton have moved past it, excepted it and yet he continually rakes it back up like pulling a scab off. He's living in the past and has no meaningful vision for the future. Alberta is supposed to be leading the country in economic growth and yet Diotte would have Edmonton revert to being Sleepy Hollow. If there is a remote chance of him being mayor we have a four year hangover to look forward to.

For me, it's pretty simple.

Blue Plate was straight-up foolish for not doing their due diligence regarding the filming. I don't have a ton of sympathy for them.

But Kerry's smug, tongue-clucking "tough luck" response to Blue Plate was not particularly courteous or classy, and certainly not "mayoral".

This episode reflects poorly on all involved.

First of all, that video was shameful in it's editing, lightning, and sound. The acting was dreadful. Really took away from any message Diotte was trying to portray.

Indeed the narcissistic tendencies that Diotte appears to consistently portray, reside in the fact that he says "no" virtually at every stage, and provides no beneficial solution. He believes he's right, but does not back it up with a proactive direction. He displays severe poor diplomatic and social skills, and he is awkward and unpolished at best. Developing a poorly rendered sarcastic Junior High standard quality of video, makes any candidate look desperate. Thus, clearly praying on the small minority of people who hate the arena deal for example or any topic Diotte is not for.

"Vote for me because I hate X --- but I won't do anything about it" is about as weak a message as any politician can convey. If it doesn't condescend to those who disagree with him, it panders to those who don't. And it pretty much says "yeah... I got nothing".

First of all, that video was shameful in it's editing, lightning, and sound. The acting was dreadful. Really took away from any message Diotte was trying to portray.

Indeed the narcissistic tendencies that Diotte appears to consistently portray, reside in the fact that he says "no" virtually at every stage, and provides no beneficial solution. He believes he's right, but does not back it up with a proactive direction. He displays severe poor diplomatic and social skills, and he is awkward and unpolished at best. Developing a poorly rendered sarcastic Junior High standard quality of video, makes any candidate look desperate. Thus, clearly praying on the small minority of people who hate the arena deal for example or any topic Diotte is not for.

"Vote for me because I hate X --- but I won't do anything about it" is about as weak a message as any politician can convey. If it doesn't condescend to those who disagree with him, it panders to those who don't. And it pretty much says "yeah... I got nothing".
    Is this not a condescending view of Diotte?

By your own framework you are engaging in "Narcissistic" "always right" stance. The same thing you castigate Diotte for.

Could be you just don't like him and that that can be your opinion. Doesn't mean you're a narcissist or that theres anything at all wrong with you. But by that more reasonable logic there isn't with Diotte either.

It all boils down to personal takes and some people not "liking" what Diotte did. That's about it. No kids or kittens were harmed in the making of this video.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post

Blue Plate was straight-up foolish for not doing their due diligence regarding the filming. I don't have a ton of sympathy for them.

But Kerry's smug, tongue-clucking "tough luck" response to Blue Plate was not particularly courteous or classy, and certainly not "mayoral".

Further to the convo just wanted to denote that the bolded are all simple opinions. They don't mean anything, and are not really objective.

So in that nothing is "pretty simple" that Diotte is "certainly not mayoral"

This of course, and your whole post, is only opinion. So certainty does not apply.

How would Diotte explain to his followers the hefty price tag to fix Rexall if the new arena did not go through. A huge expense to tart up a building that has passed its prime. Those same followers would chafe at that and no doubt want that scenario voted down. It seems some people can never look at the bigger picture when it comes to running a city. You either lead, follow or get out the way. Diotte definitely is not a leader.

^^Of course, I thought the subjectivity of my assessment was admitted openly by the first two words of my post: "For me".

First One is Always Free

I get the impression Diotte and his followers walk around the city and when they see any signs of progress they holla 'Bah Humbug". Throw rocks at cranes and hold vigils at street potholes. The reason Diotte is campaigning on past issues is that he does not have any issues going forward. He can't change the arena deal and said he does not want too and yet he is chuntering on about it. 90% of the population of Edmonton have moved past it, excepted it and yet he continually rakes it back up like pulling a scab off. He's living in the past and has no meaningful vision for the future. Alberta is supposed to be leading the country in economic growth and yet Diotte would have Edmonton revert to being Sleepy Hollow. If there is a remote chance of him being mayor we have a four year hangover to look forward to.
    I think you're feeling threatened by how many of us actually support Diotte. I don't know where you get your impressions or sense of reality, but you seem to project a lot of your frustrations on Diotte's supporters. If he is not your choice for the next Mayor of our city, fine. City Councillors must be prepared to support and stand up to criticism of decisions they have made over the past Council term. The civic election is when they must go before the electorate to receive praise, criticism (or yawns and/or no interest in the case of most of the electorate). On behalf of myself, and many other supporters of Kerry Diotte for Mayor, we thank you for your interest in the time you spend thinking about what we do. Rest assured, we will show up to vote on Election Day.
    Last edited by Complicated; 22-09-2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Autocorrect error
    Some people create their own storms, and then get upset when it rains

C2E SME

I think we as voters have to resist being drawn into a fight (what Kerry Diotte is baiting us with) and think about the issues at hand and possible actions:

(1) Why are the roads so bad?

(2) Can we get better value for our tax dollars?

(3) What happens if we don't spend money?

I think, whoever is elected mayor, will have to be strategic about the problems this city will face. We need a leader who will think long-term.

Further to the convo just wanted to denote that the bolded are all simple opinions. They don't mean anything, and are not really objective.

So in that nothing is "pretty simple" that Diotte is "certainly not mayoral"

This of course, and your whole post, is only opinion. So certainty does not apply.
    Well, I think JamesL pretty much calls it as he sees it. Straight forward, to the point.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think we as voters have to resist being drawn into a fight (what Kerry Diotte is baiting us with) and think about the issues at hand and possible actions:

(1) Why are the roads so bad?

(2) Can we get better value for our tax dollars?

(3) What happens if we don't spend money?

I think, whoever is elected mayor, will have to be strategic about the problems this city will face. We need a leader who will think long-term.
    Once again, you live in Sherwood Park. You are not an Edmonton "we".

^Members of the Capital Region Board representing 95% of the region's population supported Edmonton in applying for its allocation under the provincial Regional Collaboration Program. The City will submit the application as soon as the program's guidelines are defined

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...agreement.aspx

The taxes of the people of Sherwood Park did contribute to the arena deal - and -
    As for the people of Sherwood Park and other jurisdictions in the capital region. You seem to forget that a lot of people in this area work and shop in Edmonton. They also have season tickets for sports teams, they eat at restaurants, attend the movies and theatres and spend millions of dollars a year in the C of E. Maybe do some homework before being so flippant.

I think you're feeling threatened by how many of us actually support Diotte. I don't know where you get your impressions or sense of reality, but you seem to project a lot of your frustrations on Diotte's supporters. If he is not your choice for the next Mayor of our city, fine. City Councillors must be prepared to support and stand up to criticism of decisions they have made over the past Council term. The civic election is when they must go before the electorate to receive praise, criticism (or yawns and/or no interest in the case of most of the electorate). On behalf of myself, and many other supporters of Kerry Diotte for Mayor, we thank you for your interest in the time you spend thinking about what we do. Rest assured, we will show up to vote on Election Day.
    Go ahead, knock yourselves out. A missed vote is a wasted vote. As they say in show biz, 'Break a Leg'.

^^Of course, I thought the subjectivity of my assessment was admitted openly by the first two words of my post: "For me".
    lol

Thanks. For some reason I didn't note that part. My bad. My response wasn't just your post it was a followup to my earlier post that for a lot of people discussing this that the topic hasn't moved beyond general dislike.

It is unfortunate the political discussion isn't rising above that level.

^I think we can agree that this has been a pretty disappointing campaign to watch so far.

^I think we can agree that this has been a pretty disappointing campaign to watch so far.
    Yep.

But I think every level involved can make it better or worse. (which I realize we all do at times)

Grassroots, media, forums, etc, can choose to focus on the mundane character flaws or dislikes or on actual issues.

This thread and forum being an example of the grassroots dialog. By having a better dialog here perhaps we further better dialog and questions and answers.

Probably pie in the sky but I can hope.

To sum the campaign up so far
    Were is Anthony Weiner when you need him.

Is this not a condescending view of Diotte?

By your own framework you are engaging in "Narcissistic" "always right" stance. The same thing you castigate Diotte for.

Could be you just don't like him and that that can be your opinion. Doesn't mean you're a narcissist or that theres anything at all wrong with you. But by that more reasonable logic there isn't with Diotte either.

It all boils down to personal takes and some people not "liking" what Diotte did. That's about it. No kids or kittens were harmed in the making of this video.

IMO this guy is a douchebag to the power of 10.

Agree with the last statement tho....save the kids and cats

How would Diotte explain to his followers the hefty price tag to fix Rexall if the new arena did not go through. A huge expense to tart up a building that has passed its prime. Those same followers would chafe at that and no doubt want that scenario voted down. It seems some people can never look at the bigger picture when it comes to running a city. You either lead, follow or get out the way. Diotte definitely is not a leader.
    Secretly I'm sure Kerry has no issue with the arena.. It's simply a wedge issue and one he hopes is divisive enough to win. It's Alberta politics circa 1970...

First One is Always Free

^Members of the Capital Region Board representing 95% of the region's population supported Edmonton in applying for its allocation under the provincial Regional Collaboration Program. The City will submit the application as soon as the program's guidelines are defined

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...agreement.aspx

The taxes of the people of Sherwood Park did contribute to the arena deal - and -
    As for the people of Sherwood Park and other jurisdictions in the capital region. You seem to forget that a lot of people in this area work and shop in Edmonton. They also have season tickets for sports teams, they eat at restaurants, attend the movies and theatres and spend millions of dollars a year in the C of E. Maybe do some homework before being so flippant.
    We don't have your $25m yet. However, as you do drive into our city to work, dine and attend entertainment events, perhaps you could also contribute to our road repairs. Hmmmm...toll booths come to mind.....

Î should imagine at some point you may have to leave the city via Sherwood Park. Last I heard the roads go east and west. Be careful what you wish for.

Kids, why don't we get this thread back on topic?
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Nope, never heard of the Blue Plate Diner. Also I don't follow Justin Beiber stories. I'm not 14. We don't all live at home in our parents' basement and have the time and money to dine out out in all the trendy restaurants. I prefer to shop and dine mostly in my own community to support local businesses.
    By chance, are you Diotte himself? Your comment just shows how unintelligent you are! I came from a third world background; been working in one form or another since i was 12 to help feed my family clan; pay my own way for two university degrees; adopted my friends two young children- at that time they were 2 and 41/2- due to the parent's bittered divorce battle-as a single man @ 25; now successfull in the fashion industry and in the moonlighting trade scaffold/carpentry. No basement of parents here...

Downtown diner owner feels “duped” by mayoral candidate

http://globalnews.ca/news/856898/dow...ral-candidate/
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

^Diotte maintains he had permission to film inside the restaurant.
    “I think it’s very unfortunate there are negative people out here in this city that have turned it around so much to basically make that restaurant feel badly about this, because it’s a great restaurant.
    “They weren’t supporting anybody. They were just doing us a favour, letting us use their restaurant as a location,” Diotte explained. “It’s people making mischief.”

"Negative people out there" - that's pot (Diotte) calling the kettle black.

"people making mischief" what he mean by that? the wanna be mayor is ok with that? is that how he will run his office? no thanks.

First One is Always Free

The thing is, all he had to do was say, "Well, we had their permission, but they seem to think they were mislead. It was a misunderstanding, so let's all just move on". He didn't need to prostrate himself and beg for forgiveness, or even really apologize. Instead, he responded like a jackass. THAT is the real issue for me.

In Diottes world it's could be mischievous elf's spreading mis-information.

First One is Always Free

Ctzn-Ed, my comments were in response to Gemini's comments (as you could see by the quote). I am glad to hear that you have made a good life for yourself in Edmonton. I did not like Gemini's attitude on the fact that I had never heard of the Blue Diner. I'm not Diotte. He is able to speak for himself. I know and admire this man. Just because some of you do not intend to mark an X beside Diotte's name on the upcoming civic ballot, do not judge or ridicule me. Do any you personally know any of the candidates? Have you spoken with them? I have on many occasions, and over a lot of years. I've dined at tables with the candidates. Have you met Diotte? I really and sincerely admire this man. How many of you are willing to say who, and why, you will support a candidate. Do I intimidate anyone by declaring my intentions in the upcoming election? I am moving forward from the present City Council with hope for a future with less debt, and a City Council who will listen to their constituents.

Ctzn-Ed, my comments were in response to Gemini's comments (as you could see by the quote). I am glad to hear that you have made a good life for yourself in Edmonton. I did not like Gemini's attitude on the fact that I had never heard of the Blue Diner. I'm not Diotte. He is able to speak for himself. I know and admire this man. Just because some of you do not intend to mark an X beside Diotte's name on the upcoming civic ballot, do not judge or ridicule me. Do any you personally know any of the candidates? Have you spoken with them? I have on many occasions, and over a lot of years. I've dined at tables with the candidates. Have you met Diotte? I really and sincerely admire this man. How many of you are willing to say who, and why, you will support a candidate. Do I intimidate anyone by declaring my intentions in the upcoming election? I am moving forward from the present City Council with hope for a future with less debt, and a City Council who will listen to their constituents.
    If that is the case, address the issue at hand and not the little insults to the general mass in between. Im a natural at sychology... you might want to correct yourself for future debates. What you have done is defaced Diotte further by admittance to involvement personally with him and rant the way you have. Have you ever heard of "guilty by association?" You attempted to defame me on the Arena thread with childest behavior, so what should I and other sane folks should think? Natural conclussion don't you think? You're 30 or so and appeared to have education behind you, so how about you use the knowledge you have garnered. My belief in life is that knowledge is not intellegents; intelligents is taking the information, deciphering it and using it to better yourself overall. My personal mantra is, " the strength of a man is in the stride he walks." I'll let you decipher that one out on your own!
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 22-09-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: no editing. accidentally touch the button.

Thumbs down

The arena is a done deal, can't this whack -a-doo move on from that. He is such a mealy mouthed idjit

I think Diotte have gone too far in his mayoral campaign right now
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I am closing this thread.

A lot of the comments here are over the line. Many of you need to calm down for you're acting as bad if not worse than the people you're accusing of bad behaviour.
    Ow