Thread: Spruce Grove election 2013

Default Spruce Grove election 2013

My name is Wayne Rothe and I'm running for re-election as alderman in Spruce Grove. I invite anyone who lives in Spruce Grove (or non-residents) to ask questions. The twitter hashtag is #grovevote and my re-election website is waynerothe.ca. I'll be active in both places.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Rothe View Post
    My name is Wayne Rothe and I'm running for re-election as alderman in Spruce Grove. I invite anyone who lives in Spruce Grove (or non-residents) to ask questions. The twitter hashtag is #grovevote and my re-election website is waynerothe.ca. I'll be active in both places.
    non-resident here.

What are your thoughts on the Capital Region Board ? Is it working? Do you think greater cooperation is needed? What do you make of the parkland airport?

Hi Medwards. That's three questions so here goes. By the way, thanks for identifying yourself as a non-resident and I hope that other posters do the same.

The CRB isn't working as well as it should, but it's mandated by the province. I can see major benefits but the problem is there is turf protection, particularly by Edmonton and the counties. Other cities and towns are playing nice but, in my opinion, the counties are not. A stumbling block was that Edmonton (rightly in my view) insisted on a bigger say than just one vote, and got it. Good for them.

I don't like that the counties have - to varying degrees - thrown up stumbling blocks to regional co-operation. On occasion some counties have refused to attend meetings. I think that if we don't make this work we'll see the province bring its hammer to the table and demand that we play nicely. One possible result is forced amalgamations. No one wants that so we must make this work.

I don't know if you're a Parkland resident so I take a risk in telling you this, but I led the charge against the airport being sited right next to Spruce Grove. I was attacked on twitter by a couple of Parkland residents near the new location but it made NO sense to be on Spruce Grove's doorstep, especially when its location is a possible area for city expansion.

I feel bad for residents in the airport's shadow, but you can't put an airport right next to one of the fastest-growing cities in Alberta when we have limited options for growth lands. My obligation is to work for Spruce Grove residents.

Local municipalities have no jurisdiction over airports, which are federal jurisdiction only. We couldn't refuse and neither can Parkland county.

Those are great questions. What do you think of the airport? CRB?

Candidates' forum this Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Horizon Stage in Spruce Grove, for anyone who may be interested.
    Candidate for re-election in Spruce Grove. Please go to the Spruce Grove political forum for election talk or #grovevote on twitter. @waynerothe Election website: waynerothe.ca.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Thanks for letting me know Wayne...

...I do have a quick question though. Stony Plain and Spruce Grove are rapidly growing toward each other. The area I knew as a kid is now 5X larger (population), and Boundary Road is really more "Centre Street".

To me, amalgamation is more an inevitability than a conversation. However, I would like to get your take on if this conversation is happening, or if it hasn't, what are the opinions/feelings you have on the issue?
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

Richard, as you know our two borders do touch. While amalgamation is likely, I honestly don't see if happening in the next decade unless the province tells us we must amalgamate.

I think Spruce Grove would be willing, but Stony Plain is more protective of its identity and has many more old-timers who wouldn't want to join us. Their identity is more small-town, more one of character, with the theme of The Town With a Painted Past. We have double the population with more of a big-city feel.

I just don't see it happening soon, because of Stony's likely reluctance. It's not something the two councils have discussed at all.
    Candidate for re-election in Spruce Grove. Please go to the Spruce Grove political forum for election talk or #grovevote on twitter. @waynerothe Election website: waynerothe.ca.

My family is one of the founding families of Spruce.... I agree Wayne they would not want to amalgamate and are working hard to create a very unique vibe.

I would rather see cooperation than absorption.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

I'd rather C2E than work!

"I would rather see cooperation than absorption."
    We'd like that from St Albert and Sherwood Park but they just won't do as their told ..............
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......