Thread: Carrie Doll - retirement announcement

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Carrie Doll - retirement announcement

Carrie Doll just announced her retirement from broadcasting in March 2014.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

https://twitter.com/ctvedmonton/stat...59019074940929

A sad day here at CTV. @CarrieDollCTV announcing she'll step away from TV March 28 to spend more time with family
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

At least we'll be rid of the schoolgirl giggles at everything Josh Classen says.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

At least she knows when to hang it up because the last 3 years she might as well be semi-retired.

The obvious question is who will fill her anchor seat? My bet is on Erin Isfeld.

I like Carrie's giggle!

As for who will replace her? Erin Isfeld is a good bet but I think she will be on mat leave by the time Carrie is done. The front-runners will likely be past and current anchors, so I'm thinking Jennifer Martin, Brenna Rose and Stacy Brotzel will be considered.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I will definitely not miss her, was never a big fan of her. Erin is the most likely replacement but her mat leave throws a wrench into that.

She isn't leaving until March 2014, I will be sad to see her go then, Until then- carry on

2014? Any chance she can leave sooner? That fake laugh never suited her well on the show. Even Daryl is probably thinking "sheesh..."

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I like Carrie's giggle!

As for who will replace her? Erin Isfeld is a good bet but I think she will be on mat leave by the time Carrie is done. The front-runners will likely be past and current anchors, so I'm thinking Jennifer Martin, Brenna Rose and Stacy Brotzel will be considered.
    I've always wondered if Stacy being married to Thomas Lukaszuk will be a holdup from her having more of a "supper time news anchor" role as opposed to early morning TV anchor. I mean, it would be hard to report on government issues when you're married to one of the top guys in government.

If not, I think she would do a great job in that position.

^ I know what you're saying, but being married to a high profile pol. shouldn't make an ounce of difference to a newsreader. They're there to report, not editorialise.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

While I agree, it is all about perception, and is CTV willing to take that risk.

1. How exactly is Stacey Brotzel working the 6 PM newscast supposed to be any different from doing the morning news? If she's such a huge risk then why even hire her at all?
    2. Stacey only reads the news, it's not like she alone can pick and choose what she reports.
    3. From what I've seen, stretching back from her days on A Channel, she rarely mentions her husband, and she's never displayed any political partisanship in her work nor in her tweets.

I have a feeling Stacey Brotzel likes her current gig. She has been working the same hours since Big Breakfast. So she still gets to enjoy family time in the evenings.

Scratch Jennifer off that candidate list:
    http://j-source.ca/article/jennifer-...erta-primetime

I found her very boring

I was surprised we got so much notice that Carrie Doll was leaving. Two weeks would have been enough. It's not like she is that important.
    I would like to see a fresh new face replace Carrie Doll, meaning someone that is not already working for CTV.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I was surprised we got so much notice that Carrie Doll was leaving. Two weeks would have been enough. It's not like she is that important.
    I would like to see a fresh new face replace Carrie Doll, meaning someone that is not already working for CTV.
    That's how I felt, the long goodbye.

^.................the too long goodbye. Leave already.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

Carrie's last week is coming up. Still no word on who will replace her, unless they announce that on her last day. I'm thinking Shawna Randolph, who's now on Alberta Primetime, is a possible returnee.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 23-03-2014 at 12:17 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Another possible is Carmen Leibel. Carrie will be the keynote speaker at the Edmonton Broadcasters Club luncheon on April 16.
    Last edited by 24karat; 28-03-2014 at 09:07 PM.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

I really like the job Carmen has been doing at the 5:00 news slot... I'd give her a vote.

And Julie Nolan, too.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I like Shawna Randolph. If she does not get the 6 o'clock spot hopefully she will find her way back on the news in the morning or noon slot.

Julie Nolin would be a good call. She moved back from Victoria to join the station after Carrie's announcement.

Holy short memory, people!

Erin Isfeld is currently on maternity leave. That is the whole reason Carmen Leibel has been anchoring the 5pm news the last 6 months.

My guess is CTV Edmonton will not announce a permanent replacement until the fall. I am putting my money on Erin.
    Last edited by North Guy66; 24-03-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Friday is Carrie's last day! You can post and read others memories of The Doll:

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/goodbyecarrie

The only and only time I spotted Carrie in person was downtown Edmonton Centre. I was going to approach her and say hi but holy smokes she had "do not bug me" written all over her. So I didn't.

I admit I had something bothering my eyes during Carrie's farewell speech.

The retrospective of her career showed that she became more attractive as she got older.

Very well done.

I still remember many years ago when my school did a field trip to CTV Edmonton, back when it was still called CFRN on air. Carrie was doing the afternoon news by herself that day and had a lot of work to do, but she was still very welcoming, accommodating, and made us feel like valued guests. That particular field trip is still my all-time favourite one!

Well she certainly is a doll. And nice lady I think. I hope she enjoys the rest of her life.

I thought the station gave her a classy send off. Happy retirement, Carrie.

I watched the send off segment. Gotta say its pretty close to the reason I rarely watched CFRN news in the first place.

This whole "look at my life, look at what I'm doing, I'm Carrie Doll"

Whenever I even got a hint of that I switched the channel. As a viewer I'm there to watch the news not encounter a newscasters life. Just like I have no interest whatsoever in talk radio talk TV newscasts just waste time imo. Report the news, that's what you're there for, otherwise shutup with the banter.

What a self pretentious, self important 9mins of broadcasting. You're a news anchor, you aren't the news. Say goodbye and read the news. Done.

What melodramatic drivel that was.
    Last edited by Replacement; 29-03-2014 at 01:02 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Her send-off is really no different from other retiring media personalities:
    Lynda Steele
    Bill Matheson - his weather board was raised to the rafters
    Lloyd Robertson - though he's still hosting W5
    Walter Cronkite

The reasons for these on-air retirements by popular media personalities should be quite obvious.

Her send-off is really no different from other retiring media personalities:
    Lynda Steele
    Bill Matheson - his weather board was raised to the rafters
    Lloyd Robertson - though he's still hosting W5
    Walter Cronkite

The reasons for these on-air retirements by popular media personalities should be quite obvious.
    To put Carrie Doll in with that crowd is a lot of a stretch.

Basically a few Canadian News anchors in recent decades that are worthy of such grandiose.

Barbara Frum, Knowlton Nash, Peter Jennings, maybe Lloyd Robertson.

You must've had a crush on Carrie Doll or something. Theres basically nothing about her presentation or oratory that's the least bit special. I get that she probably has a following in geriatric units as that nice girl but other than that..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Once again you display a lack of credibility.

First you slam on-air anchor retirements in general because, hey, they should shut up and just read the news. But now it's only a problem if its any local anchor not named Lynda Steele. And to boot, someone with over 11,200 followers on twitter (twice as many as anchors at Global and CBC) and hundreds (if not thousands) of farewell messages on twitter and Facebook from a mostly non-geriatric demographic.

Like it or not, popular news people (local or national) will get these farewells. People want to hear the farewell speech, see the tears, write to say goodbye, and the TV station wants the obvious ratings spike.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 30-03-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Part of why long term newscasters get sendoffs is that they're more community orientated beyond their newscasts. There's some older newscasters that I can't recall ever got an on-air sendoff when they retired or moved on. The ones I can recall from my youth (not sure if they were part of a newscast or not) were Ed Kay, Norris McLean, Eric Neville, Mark Byington, Ernie Posente, Bruce Hogle (editorials only), Sid Lancaster, Al McCann, Alex Moir and Alan Watt (the last 5 I looked up). Some of them were involved in the community but I'm not sure to what extent or if they were as involved as today's newscasters. Maybe in a more personal field way.

Edit: Just remembered Sid Lancaster as well. Again, not sure if he got an on-air sendoff.
    Last edited by TerryH; 30-03-2014 at 12:49 AM.

Carrie Doll did more for this community than any of us including Replacement can ever hope to do. When you consider how many thousands of people watched her newscasts over the years, and how many people she's helped through her work with countless charities, it was highly appropriate to put the spotlight on her as she retired from a very high-profile career.

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    Carrie Doll did more for this community than any of us including Replacement can ever hope to do. When you consider how many thousands of people watched her newscasts over the years, and how many people she's helped through her work with countless charities, it was highly appropriate to put the spotlight on her as she retired from a very high-profile career.
    Well that's an interesting comment. I've dedicated everyday of every year of my adult life to charity and community work. I've also been a public presenter on the same. I've been a tireless committee worker and advocate for social change. Through that work I've benefited countless thousands of people. Not saying that for any wish of approval or regard whatsoever. Just to counter what you stated.

I don't require fame in response to that, or accolade, or a 9min media sendoff.
    What I do I do out of a lifelong passion for it and with intrinsic reward being its own reward.

Additionally I can think of many more people on this board and that I know that have done more for the community of Edmonton than Carrie Doll and who do not require, or solicit such accolade for their actions. With many of these pursuing altruism anonymously. Indeed with the meaning of the word altruism emphasizing selfless concern.
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-03-2014 at 02:22 PM.

24K said it - high profile. Judging from some of the farewell messages I've read, Carrie used her high profile to spotlight various charitable organizations, to encourage people to give back to their community, and to inspire young girls into careers in media. I mean, instead of all that she could have spent her free time frequenting an internet messageboard to write highly snooty foodie reviews or to whine about everything Edmonton from downtown nightlife to Mountain Equipment Co-op to private lakes.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 31-03-2014 at 12:28 AM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

All this angst over a retirement? It is typical of many media personalities when they move on - they get a public send off, especially if they are a long term media personality or an anchor.

I wish her the best as she transitions to a new phase in life. These changes are rarely easy.

I can only hope that when this forum retires, someone kinda notices.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

I nearly fell asleep. Bye bye news anchor, make room for the next

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    All this angst over a retirement? It is typical of many media personalities when they move on - they get a public send off, especially if they are a long term media personality or an anchor.

I wish her the best as she transitions to a new phase in life. These changes are rarely easy.

I can only hope that when this forum retires, someone kinda notices.
    Didn't she just come back 2yrs ago. I could swear this song and dance just occurred recently and she went to Calgary and then came back here. Maybe she could come back in another year for a year and spend another dramatic year with a countdown to her next retirement.

Carrie's profile is still up along with her career summary:

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/more/abou...-doll-1.852915

Her career officially began at CTV in Yorkton, Sask., where she worked as a noon anchor and began her own health segment. Furthering her passion for health and fitness, Carrie moved to Lethbridge to work as a producer of the 6pm news, as well as an anchor and health reporter for CISA Television. In 1997, she made her first appearance at CTV Edmonton as the Medical Watch reporter and noon news anchor. Three years later, she moved to Calgary to co-anchor the noon and 5 p.m. news. She rejoined the CTV news team in Edmonton a year later in October of 2001 to co-anchor CTV news at 6 p.m with Daryl McIntyre.
    I'm fairly certain she was at Global Edmonton at one point before joining CTV Edmonton.

She was gone on maternity leave twice in recent years, and now her younglings are her main reason for leaving broadcasting. I think this was the same reason why Shawna Randolph initially quit. So maybe DMac's next co-anchor should be child-less!
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 31-03-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic death monkey View Post
    24k said it - high profile. Judging from some of the farewell messages i've read, carrie used her high profile to spotlight various charitable organizations, to encourage people to give back to their community, and to inspire young girls into careers in media. I mean, instead of all that she could have spent her free time frequenting an internet messageboard to write highly snooty foodie reviews or to whine about everything edmonton from downtown nightlife to mountain equipment co-op to private lakes.

zing.........................

24K said it - high profile. Judging from some of the farewell messages I've read, Carrie used her high profile to spotlight various charitable organizations, to encourage people to give back to their community, and to inspire young girls into careers in media. I mean, instead of all that she could have spent her free time frequenting an internet messageboard to write highly snooty foodie reviews or to whine about everything Edmonton from downtown nightlife to Mountain Equipment Co-op to private lakes.
    Amazed to agree with anything contained in one of your posts. Albeit even if out of context..

Too bad she lost market share for CFRN during her tenure. Maybe the next local news anchor can just read the news instead of it being the Carrie show.

Carrie worked for some people, others just turned the channel. Quite a few turned to Global.
    Last edited by Replacement; 31-03-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Carrie's profile is still up along with her career summary:

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/more/abou...-doll-1.852915

Her career officially began at CTV in Yorkton, Sask., where she worked as a noon anchor and began her own health segment. Furthering her passion for health and fitness, Carrie moved to Lethbridge to work as a producer of the 6pm news, as well as an anchor and health reporter for CISA Television. In 1997, she made her first appearance at CTV Edmonton as the Medical Watch reporter and noon news anchor. Three years later, she moved to Calgary to co-anchor the noon and 5 p.m. news. She rejoined the CTV news team in Edmonton a year later in October of 2001 to co-anchor CTV news at 6 p.m with Daryl McIntyre.
    I'm fairly certain she was at Global Edmonton at one point before joining CTV Edmonton.

She was gone on maternity leave twice in recent years, and now her younglings are her main reason for leaving broadcasting. I think this was the same reason why Shawna Randolph initially quit. So maybe DMac's next co-anchor should be child-less!

Yes, she was at ITV for a while.
    I believe in a better world,where chickens can cross the road without having their motives challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Well that's an interesting comment. I've dedicated everyday of every year of my adult life to charity and community work. I've also been a public presenter on the same. I've been a tireless committee worker and advocate for social change. Through that work I've benefited countless thousands of people. Not saying that for any wish of approval or regard whatsoever. Just to counter what you stated.

What I do I do out of a lifelong passion for it and with intrinsic reward being its own reward.

Additionally I can think of many more people on this board and that I know that have done more for the community of Edmonton than Carrie Doll and who do not require, or solicit such accolade for their actions. With many of these pursuing altruism anonymously. Indeed with the meaning of the word altruism emphasizing selfless concern.
    Well thank the lucky stars for your overabundance of altruism. You have to understand that the reason she got the big sendoff she did is because that's what the VIEWERS wanted, not to assuage her ego. Trust me, it would have been a great disservice to them not to have.

And what makes you the expert on how much Carrie Doll has done for this community? You keeping score?

You must be short. Wait, maybe not, but you're certainly small.

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post

Well thank the lucky stars for your overabundance of altruism. You have to understand that the reason she got the big sendoff she did is because that's what the VIEWERS wanted, not to assuage her ego. Trust me, it would have been a great disservice to them not to have.

And what makes you the expert on how much Carrie Doll has done for this community? You keeping score?

This is where we get to cast aspersions on the internet I guess over opinions. I have my thoughts on Doll, I'm sure you have yours. I won't succumb to assumptions about you or your integrity based on expressed opinion. Hows that?
    Last edited by Replacement; 31-03-2014 at 02:05 PM.

^ Well I know her personally, and judging by your comments about the situation and her, you have indeed "succumbed to assumptions".

And let's be honest, your charity comments - based on your lack of evidence or examples - betray even more assumptions that you're making and your unqualified snideness.

And indeed, if your claim that what you say on this is, in fact, your opinion, it is an uninformed one.
    Last edited by PJC; 31-03-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Well, in my 40 years here in Edmonton I have never once watched a newscast with her. I'm going to assume I simply didn't like her style. Does that make me a snide too?

^ Not at all. You didn't make insinuations about ego or commitment to charity. You based your opinion on what you like or don't like about someone's performance without bringing uninformed judgemental comments about their character into it.

^ Not at all. You didn't make insinuations about ego or commitment to charity. You based your opinion on what you like or don't like about someone's performance without bringing uninformed judgemental comments about their character into it.

Irony. You just did that today.

If you can't see that I'm not sure why not.

I have my reasons for my opinion, as you yours. I don't recall attempting to judge your character in doing that.

You on the other hand did a classic internet driveby. Which you can own up to or not.

^ Well I know her personally, and judging by your comments about the situation and her, you have indeed "succumbed to assumptions".

And let's be honest, your charity comments - based on your lack of evidence or examples - betray even more assumptions that you're making and your unqualified snideness.

And indeed, if your claim that what you say on this is, in fact, your opinion, it is an uninformed one.
    Well now this comes out. But not objectively either.

That could have been your first disclosure without trashing another poster for perceived slight.

btw I'm not at all convinced you know more about my +30yr field of employment and specialization than I do, thanks.
    Last edited by Replacement; 31-03-2014 at 06:38 PM.

I thought the send off was kind of cheesy but I don't really watch CTV news much. I didn't stick it out the whole nine minutes but others who are more invested in CTV news such as PJC obviously found it compelling. All the best to Carrie in her future.

btw I'm not at all convinced you know more about my +30yr field of employment and specialization than I do, thanks.
    Oh, you'd be surprised. I'm pretty sure I do...

I could sure spot the milk of kindness running through you when you made this comment;

Was that vindictive? Reactive? Assumptive? I can't be sure.

Wait, what were you calling me out on again? Judgement? Oh, full circle here I see.

Neither of us the better for it.

cheers
    Last edited by Replacement; 31-03-2014 at 08:20 PM.

Replacement.......I've dedicated everyday of every year of my adult life to charity and community work. I've also been a public presenter on the same. I've been a tireless committee worker and advocate for social change. Through that work I've benefited countless thousands of people.

Blow your own horn much?

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Replacement.......I've dedicated everyday of every year of my adult life to charity and community work. I've also been a public presenter on the same. I've been a tireless committee worker and advocate for social change. Through that work I've benefited countless thousands of people.

Blow your own horn much?
    Not at all. I've not once mentioned it before on the board. It was in specific response to a specific post. Go back and read through. tbh I'm not into pomp, ceremony, accolade.
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-04-2014 at 11:26 AM.

I could sure spot the milk of kindness running through you when you made this comment;

Wait, what were you calling me out on again? Judgement? Oh, full circle here I see.

cheers
    Oh, please. Dry your eyes. You accuse me of an "internet driveby"? Love you absent sense of irony as your "driveby" is exactly what I was responding to.

BTW, what field are you intimating you've been in for "30+" years? If it's what I think it is, I'd love to get together sometime and compare scrapbooks...

cheers
    Oh, please. Dry your eyes. You accuse me of an "internet driveby"? Love you absent sense of irony as your "driveby" is exactly what I was responding to.

BTW, what field are you intimating you've been in for "30+" years? If it's what I think it is, I'd love to get together sometime and compare scrapbooks...
    No worries at all.

I was just pointing out that you had done the same. I'm not bothered by it ftr and sorry for stating something that you didn't like. Carrie is not a member of this board to my knowledge, is a public figure, and is fair game for comments both good and bad. That's all.

I try to take a civil tact while speaking with members of a board. Which can be difficult on the internet. From past moderated messageboards, and implied expectations, theres usually an expectation to treat members somewhat civilly while public figures can be fair game. For instance somebody in the Redford thread has been calling her a 'toxic personality" Nobody even asked about that or questioned it. Public figures are often critiqued on this board. Which I think is somewhat different than a driveby.

Due to the confidentiality and expectation thereof, in my employment and contracting I can't disclose more on the messageboard. Not particularly interested in an ego measuring contest either although I'm not averse to getting together for a coffee with people who wouldn't despise me for a comment on one topic.

There is PM we can take this to to spare the rest of the board the drudgery.

cheers

^ I don't despise you at all, Replacement. Think we've both made our points of view clear and have each said what we needed to say.

Kum ba ya, sir. Cheers and best.

Now back to regular programming.

Yes, I think this thread can now be retired as well.

D-Mac just announced they will not be replacing Carrie Doll, he will be anchoring solo.

I like D-Mac but surprised they are not replacing Carrie. I don't think they will lose any viewers with this new format.

Solo anchors works fine with network news, so why not local?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I like D-Mac but surprised they are not replacing Carrie. I don't think they will lose any viewers with this new format.
    They lost this viewer, I rather hear the news from some eye candy.

^Well, in a perfect world D-Mac would be George Clooney or Jon Hamm. Anyway, I was never a big fan of Carrie but I'm still going to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    What, Daryl isn't attractive for you?

You can always watch Brenna Rose on the weekends.

Daryl is absolutely perfect for the job.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

What, Daryl isn't attractive for you?

You can always watch Brenna Rose on the weekends.
    I enjoy watching her on the weekends , I guess I will stick with Carole Anne on Global for the weekdays.

I agree, he doesn't need some chitty chatty gal beside him, he is a pro.

Time to subscribe to Naked News.

And watch Darryl strip? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    I agree, he doesn't need some chitty chatty gal beside him, he is a pro.
    Yep 1 anchor is sufficient, 2 or more just creates mindless banter I could care less about and seeing some faux relationship between newscasters trying to get along.

Read the news, less talking heads, less yipping, maybe I'll watch once in awhile.

Getting news from the "news" is entirely outmoded in present day. Why does anybody even watch? The concept of news hours is done and buried. News is now by the second, by the minute. That's the universe we live in.

^World newscasts may be changing but when it comes to local news it's nice to have a bit more of a human touch. It seems more relevant when something happens at a local level and you can relate to it. Get the views of people on the street on what's happening in local stories and sports. It's less impersonal if you feel like you know and like the person reading the news.

^World newscasts may be changing but when it comes to local news it's nice to have a bit more of a human touch. It seems more relevant when something happens at a local level and you can relate to it. Get the views of people on the street on what's happening in local stories and sports. It's less impersonal if you feel like you know and like the person reading the news.
    I guess it matters if you can evenly remotely identify with the specific person. Carrie Doll, at least on TV, to me, had all the personality of a talking Barbie doll. Never got the small town girl shtick. Never bought it either.
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-04-2014 at 03:58 PM.

I was never a big fan of Carrie Doll but if they took Daryl McIntyre off the news I would miss him. Can't explain it but just know I would.

Geez I hope I'm wrong but I'm starting to see shades of Carrie in Carole Anne Devaney. Now that Carrie is out of the picture, Carole is looking more like 'here I am, bow to me'.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I was never a big fan of Carrie Doll but if they took Daryl McIntyre off the news I would miss him. Can't explain it but just know I would.
    I can explain it. With a co-anchor or without, McIntyre's the best. Period.