Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 'Joey's" going in the heart of downtown

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default New 'Joey's" going in the heart of downtown

Last edited by Terry_H; 15-10-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Forget speculation that Joey's is going into Bell Tower.

I'm far more interested in the rumour that Oil City Hospitality bought the Grand Hotel.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E SME

Same here. I find it fairly surprising that a hospitality group is even interested in owning real estate. I would have assumed the norm was to lease their spaces.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Perhaps this is the next evolution of their business plan, ie. strategic holdings.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Uh-oh spaghetti-os !

Top_Dawg is getting a eerie sense of deja-puke.

Le Richelieu is likely gonna get morgentalered a la Cecil / York.

First of all, there is no longer a "Tomatoes" in the name of the restaurant chain. Also, there was talk on here about some microbrew opening up in Bell instead of Joey.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 16-10-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

certainly an article of (hoped fors?) rumours
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

I've heard that Joey's will be going into the Bell Tower for awhile now. They are closing their Jasper Ave location and moving into Bell.

Why would they close Jasper Ave?
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I agree, didn't they just renovate it?

I believe they considered it as an option, but will have 2 locations.
    www.decl.org

meaning they are keeping 113 street ?
    If they are out of this location whose first in line to take the spot ?

I should clarify, that's just what I heard, not necessarily 100% fact.

Isn't Joey's on 113st closing soon, if not already, for renos like Earls Tin Palace just got? I'd guess they have 2 and would have enough customers to support both.

I sure think they would.
    www.decl.org

Both Joey and Cactus Club were busy today and tonight when I went by both times.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

That Joey's really needs a refresh. I hate the layout. Feels cramped, stuffy.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    That Joey's really needs a refresh. I hate the layout. Feels cramped, stuffy.
    Agreed. It's in rough shape too. All the fixtures need replacing and the floor plan is awful.

if they are reno-ing, it will be interesting to see where the Mexican blown glass fixtures will end up as well as all of the Canterra stone and metal work that was purchased and shipped in from Guadalahra

Where in the Bell Tower is this going? the main lobby that they finished renovating a year or 2 ago?

Quote Originally Posted by JTM View Post
    Where in the Bell Tower is this going? the main lobby that they finished renovating a year or 2 ago?
    I believe it will be a new building that will directly connect to the new tower D on the Staples site.

never answered e-mail

I was talking to some people on the weekend who work in the food&bev industry and, from what they have heard, Joey's is moving downtown and Local will be moving into the 113st location.

Can anyone verify this?

I thought Local was going where Sawmill was?

never answered e-mail

^that's what I thought too, however these guys seemed pretty convinced it's now going where Joey's is.

There was some recent activity at the Sawmill site but it look like it was just cleaning out all of the restaurant equipment and benches. So Joeys could indeed be changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I thought Local was going where Sawmill was?
    I initially thought Local was opening @ Bell Tower instead of Joeys. So it could be that the rumor keeps getting scrambled as it is passed on.

I personally can't see Joey closing their current 113 St location...it has served them well for too long now.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    if they are reno-ing, it will be interesting to see where the Mexican blown glass fixtures will end up as well as all of the Canterra stone and metal work that was purchased and shipped in from Guadalahra
    That stuff is already gone. I have no idea where it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by dtedmguy View Post
    I was talking to some people on the weekend who work in the food&bev industry and, from what they have heard, Joey's is moving downtown and Local will be moving into the 113st location.

Can anyone verify this?
    This is also what I have heard from a commercial developer, can't confirm though.

I'm not sad they are leaving Oliver..
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by KingCalvin View Post

Can anyone verify this?
    This is also what I have heard from a commercial developer, can't confirm though.
    That would be a nice transition and addition in one move. Downtown could use a Joey and another decent pub on Jasper is always a good thing.
    www.decl.org

I'll be blunt.

Joey's is a major source of douche baggery, the gun incident didn't help me feel better about the place. I am certain the clientele will just move to the cactus club but.. meh .. such is life.

I never really liked the food there... and my only attachment is super sonic Gin and Tonics
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 23-10-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

... and I will be more accurate.

It is a destination for many and a very net positive for central Edmonton.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCalvin View Post

Can anyone verify this?
    That would be a nice transition and addition in one move. Downtown could use a Joey and another decent pub on Jasper is always a good thing.
    I work in bell tower and aspen had a meeting with all the tenants to explain the changes. They said Local will move to the current Joeys location and Joeys will occupy the main floor of bell in some capacity. Development will also be done on the adjacent parking lot directly north of bell tower, the one between bell tower and the staples property.

Excellent, thanks.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by polystyreneman View Post
    I work in bell tower and aspen had a meeting with all the tenants to explain the changes. They said Local will move to the current Joeys location and Joeys will occupy the main floor of bell in some capacity. Development will also be done on the adjacent parking lot directly north of bell tower, the one between bell tower and the staples property.
    Finally some clarification, thanks.

Sad that Joey is abandoning their current location. It's been an anchor on the Allard Block for many years, and they took a chance with a downtown location while other chains were scared off. Had some nice times on that patio.

The new Cactus Club, cost of renovations and the new arena are the obvious factors behind the move.

But great news for the financial core and for the arena district. Plus another parking lot gets infilled.

Any timelines as to when this will happen?

Local will be a good fit at that Location. I quite like the layout and menu of the SS location. Besides the Druid and CanBrewhouse further up...there is nothing much further down Jasper until...well I am intentionally ignoring O2, & Pint as the food is sub sub sub-par and they are pretty much water holes. At least Local has food that is edible.

Agreed... Local SS has a great format.
    www.decl.org

Local was supposed to open in the Sawmill space in Oliver Square at one point, were they not?

I believe both the Keg and Local looked at that space.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Local was supposed to open in the Sawmill space in Oliver Square at one point, were they not?
    If I was in the business and I could move Joey's to Bell tower and open Local where Joey's was instead of the old Sawmill, I would. That Sawmill location is the inner-city version of Flying J or Denny's.

That Sawmill is sitting empty now. I think they may as well demolish it and build something nice there. Or if they get desperate enough, they can get the Crazy Horse strip club to open there!

It is a truly remarkable specimen of bad 90's architecture.

That Sawmill is sitting empty now. I think they may as well demolish it and build something nice there. Or if they get desperate enough, they can get the Crazy Horse strip club to open there!
    They started work on it again -last month.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Perfect.

C2E Continued Contributor

Seems like a great exchange. The Local in Kitsilano has a great location and a great atmosphere to go with it. Always made me jealous when I came back and visited our location in suburbia (even though I agree it is set up very well)

If there is new construction going with this near Bell, then it must still be a ways down the line though?

(http://aspenproperties.ca/assets/3-p...r-Rendered.jpg)

http://www.olsonkundigarchitects.com...AL-OPEN-V2.jpg

http://www.olsonkundigarchitects.com...AL-OPEN-V2.jpg

Joey Bell Tower

Start Date: May 2014

Project Description: A new construction of a 7,500 sqft Joey’s Restaurant in Downtown Edmonton.

http://www.dmpconstruction.ca/dmp-co...tion-projects/
    Last edited by sonicboom; 06-01-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Hot!

The "Joey Restaurant" chain is scheduled for opening in late 2015 in the parking lot, just north of the tower, with construction beginning in 2014.
    http://aspenproperties.ca/properties...on/bell-tower/

C2E Posting Power

be interesting to see how this turns out given it essentially faces an alley no?
    i love lamp

And we shall fill downtown parking lots with... good looking street interactive buildings! Servers are gonna make mad coin once the arena or at least the Ultima and Fox go in. Walking by will alone want you to grab a window seat and street-watch. Looks great.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post
    be interesting to see how this turns out given it essentially faces an alley no?
    no not really an alley

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=edmon...58.93,,0,14.71

I am sure the new tower will make use of this road as well which is actually 103 ave I believe.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post
    no not really an alley

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=edmon...58.93,,0,14.71

I am sure the new tower will make use of this road as well which is actually 103 ave I believe.
    wow I've never looked east from that vantage point, seems so obvious now lol.
    Thx
    i love lamp

^ The road/alley/service road does need some improvements though....

I am sure when the toer goes up on the staples site there will be a better sense of "place"

How big is the Oliver Joey compared to the 7,500 sqft new location?

That every nook and cranny DT is getting awesome stuff like this brings a tear to my eye. Soon every street will have something awesome on it.

Here, in case anyone is having difficulty placing it.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Looks awesome.

^

A) What about it?
    B) Who Cares?

Quote Originally Posted by stinger11 View Post
    Parking?
    Plenty nearby, not a problem. Next!
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

And that's an alphabet soup arena district tower in the background?

Vast improvement over a surface parking lot, yes. Nyuk, nyuk, accidently spelled that parking lost at first and seriously thought about not correcting it.
    ... gobsmacked

Wow, that is 103 ave, or used to be, or what's left of it. 103 ave could actually be a really great addition as seen in many arena renders, where it could really allow a easier flow of pedestrians and create more areas of street use and activity.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    ^ The road/alley/service road does need some improvements though....

I am sure when the toer goes up on the staples site there will be a better sense of "place"
    There are definite lane improvements being done as part of the "Tower D" submission. They labelled it as "Oilers Way" I think, and included things like part of the tower retail facing it.

I think the addition of a pedway crossing it, and the fact the loading dock accesses is on the alley (in addition, instead of being combined with, the car parkade which will be off of 101 St) will hamper the pedestrian feel of it personally.

Not bad, had hoped for 2nd level patio given dusty and um, eclectic 101st there.

www.decl.org

Parking?
    Bahahahhahaha... no seriously... HAHHAHAHAH
    www.decl.org

Looks like they are the go-to guys for all new Joey restaurants
    http://www.olsonkundigarchitects.com...ant-Bell-Tower

'There are definite lane improvements being done as part of the "Tower D" submission. They labelled it as "Oilers Way" I think, and included things like part of the tower retail facing it. '

This!

The intent is to have the arena connect east to City Hall along the alley.

(http://2.cdn.nhle.com/oilers/images/...2964_slide.jpg)
    www.decl.org

Is it too close to Bell Tower and future "Staples site" tower to be any higher than one story? Seems kind of odd to build a standalone restaurant at this time, in this location. Looks suburban to me and will look dwarfed under the high rises.

I don't believe its stand alone... I thought it was to be an extension of.

Exactly.
    www.decl.org

Oh ok, doesn't look that way from the pictures. Should be interesting.

Parking?
    Thanks Ian. I'll keep this in mind that next time I evaluate any proposal associated with you.

^That area is flooded with parking and will have more underground parking in a few years. Flooded.

The backside of the mall alone has 2 parkades, and on 102 by Sutton is another parkade...

Parking?
    Thanks Ian. I'll keep this in mind that next time I evaluate any proposal associated with you.
    RUDE...

Ian is allowed to have a personal opinion. He is NOT acting on behalf of his firm.

Respectfully grow up. Or be held to the same standard. Do you wish to disclose where you work so we can all do the same to you?

my goodness.

Parking?
    And I you...

Oh wait that's right, you hide behind a screen name.
    Last edited by IanO; 06-01-2014 at 06:29 PM.
    www.decl.org

Parking?
    If you are physically challenged, I understand regarding accessibility, but Bell tower has underground parkade. Surely you can walk a few metres couldn't you, or are you that lazy?

^ ctzn-ed, perhaps a little lazy, as I quickly responded with the parking comment, as I had thought there may be a parking requirement for new buildings. Should have given it a little more thought and some research before posting. Thank you for the benefit of the doubt.

^^Ian, doesn't review proposals or hire anyone, so no worries,,,,,advantage, me. Oh, spoke to an old co-worker of yours today. Nice guy.

highlander

I'm sure Bell's existing parkade (under the Stantec/former fitness annex too) would be enough to support this both in real life and in the sometimes more demanding zoning bylaw. If they do need a variance there are no NIMBYs for this site.

There are what, maybe 12000 parking stalls within a 5 block radius... we truly need to get over the need for so much parking in urban areas, appropriate amounts yes, but not for every single development or accessory use. It is on major transit lines, on LRT, has 13000 residents in its community and 60,000 who come downtown everyday right now.
    www.decl.org

Build a multi-level parkade under the Joey! *** runs away ***

^ Cancel the area and build a surface parking lot..... o... wait...

Bulldoze the new Kelly Ramsey building and build a parking lot...

OOOOO Turn 104 st into a parking lot! THAT WILL HELP DT VIBRANCY!

You gophers find some pretty pictures. Saves me time, so I can earn a fine living.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Parking?
    Please clarify how you can or will evaluate a proposal asociated with IanO. Is this a part of your job?

It isn't cool to make veiled threats from anonymity.
    Ow

^no worries and as mentioned, I would evaluate any proposal with said person with equal weight.
    www.decl.org

I have no further intent, other than trying to reply to an evening out with IO.

My apologies to Ian.

No worries, I will accept beer as an apology.
    www.decl.org

This Friday; after work, good for you?

^ Gee, I hope you can find parking!

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Thanks you two.

Just for the record, I am hypersensitive to any implied conversations where opinions expressed here are taken into the work world and used against someone. As I mentioned to some, I personally have been blacklisted and denied opportunity because of some of my work here.

I sincerely appreciate you two going for a beer. Ian still owes me a few.
    Ow

'There are definite lane improvements being done as part of the "Tower D" submission. They labelled it as "Oilers Way" I think, and included things like part of the tower retail facing it. '

This!

The intent is to have the arena connect east to City Hall along the alley.

(http://2.cdn.nhle.com/oilers/images/...2964_slide.jpg)
    I count 6 units with restaurant, plus the joey's that's 7. Here's hoping BPs moves from jasper ave to one of those spots and that land becomes something.

I dont imagine all those units would be proper sit down restaurants (perhaps some fast food?) but it would not be unusual to have them all concentrated in one spot, similar to bourbon street in west ed.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    It's now May 2014, any word on a specific start date for this?

hmmm, that area recently became an impark.

Recently? It's been an Impark for a while there.

If he's referring to the Staples lot, that's now fenced off for the AED/City tower. The parking lot immediately adjacent to Bell - which is where the restaurant will be built - is a reserved executive lot or something.

This project is back at EDC tomorrow as an 'administrative walk-on' (the architect isn't there, the admin just explains the changes they've made and EDC accepts or doesn't accept that the things they changed/fixed meet their conditions)

So I assume the DP hasn't been issued yet. Hence no work starting.

ok, he's right, the intended Joey's space is now an Impark lot.

C2E SME

I think unfortunately on some projects like this there isn't a big rush to get it done, especially now with the CoE tower about to be built. My theory for some smaller businesses or restaurants are that if they are establishing in and around the arena district they are going to wait until the arena is closer to completion. A project like this one would take a few months up to 3/4's of a year to complete so I can see this on moving fairly slowly to try and open within months of the arena opening.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

ExcaliburKid at SSP
    Joey Restaurant - Bell Tower is out for tender
    Shooting for an April 2015 opening

6 the way the ears group goes that means April 2015.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast