Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New 'Joey's" going in the heart of downtown

Quote Originally Posted by KenL2 View Post
    [had the edamame at Joeys, loved them, if they weren't cooked right why did you eat them...send them back... simple
    The question quite simply is why any establishment would be using raw or undercooked Edamame in any of their dishes.

Many people have reactions to Soy beans and they do have well established toxic properties and especially when raw or undercooked.

Why are establishments increasingly utilizing this current buzz ingredient? Its dirt cheap. Increasingly I'm seeing it appear in anything from stir fries to frozen vegetable components. Again the reason, its cheap.

But when I see establishments co-opting a health fad so obviously not good for its consumers (and people have been severely ill eating this pig feed) then I'm obviously left thinking that said establishment either doesn't research its chosen profession or doesn't care.

Theres no reason for Edamame to be an ingredient on a menu and its not good for anybody.

"Loved them" lol. Do you love chewing on rubber that tastes like slime?

You sound like a lemming. You've learned to like Edamame (somehow) because its a fad and because like a lot of people you falsely believe its good for you, except, well, it isn't.
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-04-2015 at 12:41 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^Soy sensitivity is minimal compared to shellfish, peanut, and dairy issues, yet all three of those are found all over the place. Who cares? Don't eat it.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    ^Soy sensitivity is minimal compared to shellfish, peanut, and dairy issues, yet all three of those are found all over the place. Who cares? Don't eat it.
    The sensitivity isn't minimal. Get your facts straight. Soy Beans have poisonous properties that impact all humans in their raw, undercooked, and unfermented state.

The difference being, it that as put on the plate and prepared these are harmful to ALL humans.

Peanuts are not harmful to all humans, only a very small portion.

These are not the same things.

Again, because I seem to need to repeat the basic point there is no reason for raw or uncooked Edamame to be appearing on dishes meant for human consumption.

Its another folly foisted on the until recently unsuspecting public. The studies citing Soy bean toxicity and its impacts on humans are everywhere.

Become educated, or not, its your call.

The unfortunate thing is as consumers we have to kind of trust that the food industry is in anyway looking out for us. The reality is that anybody from Walmart to Costco, to food chains is foisting Edamame on the unsuspecting public. The toxins are not immediately noticed because the impacts are often cumulative through ongoing consumption. But many more reports will undoubtedly be forthcoming as the food industry continues to try to dupe humans into eating this pig feed.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    The sensitivity isn't minimal. Get your facts straight. Soy Beans have poisonous properties that impact all humans in their raw, undercooked, and unfermented state.

The difference being, it that as put on the plate and prepared these are harmful to ALL humans.

Peanuts are not harmful to all humans, only a very small portion.

These are not the same things.

Again, because I seem to need to repeat the basic point there is no reason for raw or uncooked Edamame to be appearing on dishes meant for human consumption.

Its another folly foisted on the until recently unsuspecting public. The studies citing Soy bean toxicity and its impacts on humans are everywhere.

Become educated, or not, its your call.

The unfortunate thing is as consumers we have to kind of trust that the food industry is in anyway looking out for us. The reality is that anybody from Walmart to Costco, to food chains is foisting Edamame on the unsuspecting public. The toxins are not immediately noticed because the impacts are often cumulative through ongoing consumption. But many more reports will undoubtedly be forthcoming as the food industry continues to try to dupe humans into eating this pig feed.
    So let me get this straight, Edamame beans are toxic to humans, from what your stating, as we eat more the toxicity builds, I would assume like lead in your system, would that be correct?

Now you also state that it's pig feed, the same animal that is used to test toxicity of products because of their similarities to the human system, hmmm yet they pound this stuff into pigs and it isn't toxic to them, as you state they feed these products to pigs all over the world, europe I believe you stated.

Seems like a hole in your theory sir

Like Chmilz said there are allergens all over our food chain,

sounds to me like your on another one of your negative rants, that ends up going nowhere again.

And I DID enjoy my cooked Edamame beans, my mom used to give potatoe skins to the pigs and everyone hated them and thought they were junk and awful, then one fine day somebody tested them and found most of the nutrition in a potatoe is in the skin , now loo and behold its cool to eat something only reserved for the slop bucket and the pigs...another hmmmmm... orange peels.....and on and on
    Last edited by KenL2; 10-04-2015 at 02:47 PM.
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

So just noticed while in Windermere on business the other day that there is a State & Main being built, looks almost ready to open just in time for Patio Season with a South west facing patio. closer to the house , love that, the area around Windermere needs more restaurants, not much to choose from would love to see more, and more patio's to enjoy our great summer nights with my honey
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

^^ I can provide countless links but it wouldn't really matter to you would it?

I provided the background, all of it true, and you choose to be ignorant and make counter arguments that are silly.

Enjoy your unfit for human consumption edamame. Hopefully its not GMO. But more than likely is and that its probably grown in China.
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-04-2015 at 08:28 PM.

Love edamame, love pigs eating them rather than canibalising other pigs.

Now about Joey Bell Tower...
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Long Term Contributor

All is quiet on the construction site. Anyone know why this is delayed again?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

COE impact? utilities from lane? tie-in?
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ Waiting for final report from Thales ?
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    ^ Waiting for final report from Thales ?
    Gotta dot those i's and cross the t's now, ya hear!

No new explanations from the last one, SDM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    All is quiet on the construction site. Anyone know why this is delayed again?
    GC is finishing up a few projects in Kelowna. They've got a lot of resources on other jobs right now

All previous hold-ups (utilities, code issues) have been resolved as per my previous post
    Parkdale

C2E SME

Well I guess they aren't really in too much of a rush considering that they would be ready long before the CoE tower is anywhere near being ready.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Some action on site today:

http://www.rogersplace.com/time-lapse-1/

Just heard that Bell tower will be shutdown this weekend to do utility upgrades for the new Joey.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Looks like excavation work has resumed

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

They took down the south hoarding and extended the east side to the corner of Bell Tower a few days ago.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Hater of Stucco and Exposed Concrete Exteriors

Just in time for the arena, obviously

Job No 148875584-012
    Description: To construct exterior and interior alterations to an existing Restaurant attached to an existing Professional, Financial and Office Support Services Use building. (Joey's Restaurant Bell Tower)
    Plan 8021480 Blk 1 Lot B
    Applicant: MAXAM DESIGN INTERNATIONAL
    Create Date: 6/23/2015 11:14:06 AM

Still don't see much work happening

resize please

Looks like they're starting to do some form-work. You can now see the general shape of the restaurant.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post

A refresher on what that project will look like:

http://bonnconstruction.ca/portfolio...onton-alberta/
    so does that mean pedway/lrt access will be through the parkade and then back up instead of plus 15?

and if joey's patio is on the west end of this, isn't that right across the lane from the loading docks? or is this the patio and the restaurant across from the dock?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I believe the pedway is west and above.

Also, still don't understand why not a 2 storey at pedway and ground level with rooftop.... they will regret all of that 101st opening.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post

A refresher on what that project will look like:

http://bonnconstruction.ca/portfolio...onton-alberta/
    so does that mean pedway/lrt access will be through the parkade and then back up instead of plus 15?

and if joey's patio is on the west end of this, isn't that right across the lane from the loading docks? or is this the patio and the restaurant across from the dock?
    Looks like it is close but just west of the docks (which looks to be enclosed).

http://www.wamdevelopment.com/media/...floorplans.pdf

Wanna know what else will be needed? An escalator in the Bell podium.

Steel is now being erected at the new Joey site

First One is Always Free

From the sounds of it, Bell Tower is looking for another restaurant to add to it's current food offerings of Joeys, and Treats.

Not quite sure what type of establishment they are looking for but I would imagine something more along the lines of a pub but that's just my uneducated guess.

Maybe something for the Stantec space, which used to be Doucette's Fine Dining and City Centre Club?

Here's a close-up for you all:

Love the Staples

Looks kinda drive through fast food... I know it will be nice, but the top image is a mcdonalds.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Looks kinda drive through fast food... I know it will be nice, but the top image is a mcdonalds.
    More like a Peters' Drive-In.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

From last weekend...

ID4 by , on Flickr

This is probably a stupid question but I'm a bit puzzled as to why the steel is up before concrete or some other flooring base?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    This is probably a stupid question but I'm a bit puzzled as to why the steel is up before concrete or some other flooring base?
    That's pretty normal.

C2E Continued Contributor

Does this have a rooftop patio? seems like it would kinda be a waste if it doesn't.

Look closely at the first render above...

I still am of the opinion that this is a poor choice for design.
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by lat View Post
    Look closely at the first render above...
    Yeah, it looks like a patio, but I wasn't sure.

Are they going to follow the new design theme used in Sherwood Park, with windows into the kitchen from outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wilson View Post
    Save on the cost of glass and you also move upscale with the fake, sorry "faux", pillar look.

http://i.cdn.travel.cnn.com/sites/de...?itok=mMJ7oSP5

http://travel.cnn.com/shanghai/visit...aurants-943534
    Last edited by KC; 27-09-2015 at 03:06 PM.

concrete pumper outside Joey today. Looks like the pump pipe is going inside a roof opening.

Anyone know how this is progressing? They could be doing interiors and such, but I thought the exterior work would be done by now.

Forgot this was happening, even as I took this picture which is outdated (21 December 2015), poor quality, and barely visible.

This structure will look like a small town restaurant transplanted onto the middle of CBD. It will look so out of place. It honestly should have just been an addition of the Bell tower with some of Joey's signature aesthetics. A two story podium addition with absolute rooftop patio. We keep say we're a big cosmopolitan city now, but our actions speak like we are a small town.

Yup...
    www.decl.org

Doesn't look like there will be a rooftop patio. Most of what's on the roof is mechanical.

^ no question. Patio at ground level.

Poor design this be... should have been 2 storey with a rooftop.
    www.decl.org

Job No 186966204-002
    Description: To install (1) Fascia On-premises Sign, and (2) Fascia On-premises Signs Not Requiring a Development Permit (Joey Bell Tower).
    Plan 8021480 Blk 1 Lot B
    Applicant: GALAXIE SIGNS LTD
    Create Date: 3/31/2016 8:47:58 AM

C2E SME

I think there would have been a limited view, given the pedway between Bell and the new Edmonton Tower.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

The exterior is partially unveiled now, but the street hoarding is still up.
    I see dark brick exterior.

That place is going to print money.
    www.decl.org

Any place around the rink within reasonable walking distance will have an in house printing machine. As for me, once every five-ish years will suffice.

Today:

Last edited by JayBee; 19-04-2016 at 12:16 PM.

Still think they should have done a 2 storey, restaurant main, lounge 2nd and rooftop.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Still think they should have done a 2 storey, restaurant main, lounge 2nd and rooftop.
    While we're on the topic of things that people have repeated 10,000 times, I still think Fox is ugly.

According to this video, looks like they are targeting to open by August. Also, they give the impression that this is a brand-new location instead of a relocation of Joey Jasper, though the chef is from the Joey Jasper.
    http://globalnews.ca/video/2741889/i...oey-bell-tower

^he has to walk at a brisk pace between the two restaurants when he's cooking, that's all

Looks like Local is taking over the Joey space.

Local Eatery Exterior & Interior Alterations
    Lovick Scott Architects * Andrea Scott and Darren Strang
    11204 Jasper Avenue NW
    Site legally described as:
    Lot 167, Block 12, Plan 9522442

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...gendaJune7.pdf
    Plus when I asked Joey's social media accounts if they were moving, I got no response.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^Long rumored. Makes sense.

Yep, but that Global story from earlier this month made it sound like Bell was a brand new location as opposed to a relocation of an existing one. Semantics, I guess.

BTW I had no idea that Local was owned by Joey.

opens Aug 18 at 3 PM, according to a sign inside Bell

opens this coming Thursday!

Exciting. I think I might try it with an Oil Kings game.

Local? Is that a name of a restaurant?

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Local? Is that a name of a restaurant?
    Holy man!!! Should get out more often....yeah already one in SEC for the past 7 years. You, Envaneo and Jagators should get together and hit the town for some drinks some day.

I wonder when Joey on Jasper reopens as a Local?

Anyway here's the website:
    http://localpubliceatery.com/

The important people are getting a preview dinner at Bell Joeys tonight

https://twitter.com/lindork/status/765350717133422592

Linda Hoang @lindork

Getting a preview of the new #JoeyBellTower @JOEYRestaurants! �� Awesome patio.
    https://twitter.com/winedineYEG/stat...41024319332352

wine + dine @winedineYEG

Sipping champagne at the @JOEYRestaurants Bell Tower media launch! #yeg #yegfood #yegdt

Sorry bro! Summer is when im in Edmonton full time. Throughout the year i commute up north for my scaffold job and NYC my, now, main residence so there is mo time to explore anything beyond downtown. Im mot a fan of Earls, Cactus, or Joe to start and prefer independent places; and i would never go to South Common to dine. Im not a country side boy lol. This is the first time i heard of them. Then there was the beef incident that has made me indignant towards any association with the Fuller's right now. I may change my tune in the future, but i prefer supporting independent restaurants though.

Looked nice when I drove by tonight.
    www.decl.org

I could think of worse environments for lunch.

Sohttp://joeyrestaurants.com/whats-new/urce

new Joey Bell Tower needs a more interesting wine list
    http://edmontonjournal.com/life/food...ting-wine-list

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123