Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: election night onward - Don Iveson elected

Default election night onward - Don Iveson elected

Don Iveson Elected 44,066 60.5%
    Karen Leibovici 14,073 19.3%
    Kerry Diotte 12,316 16.9%

94/279 polls reporting

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Total votes projected to 216,074 after 94 polls.

Don's in he got it!

Total votes project to 214,988 after 113 polls.

Congrats to Don, a big win, and well deserved. I hope he brings a lot of energy to implement a lot of what is sitting on shelves untouched. Great for the city. Implementing "the way we sprawl" would be a good start:

http://doniveson.ca/2009/11/14/the-way-we-growsprawl/

For that plan was better than what we got.
    Last edited by moahunter; 21-10-2013 at 09:36 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    I thought Kim Krushell would be a good political commentator. But for someone who loved the camera time when serving as a councillor, she doesn't really have anything enlightening to say on CTV's election coverage.
    I haven't much liked her coverage. The "I really like this result" rings as a little different.

So far this has been like viewing who Krushell would invite to a garden party than objective commentary on all the candidates.

I'm actually somewhat surprised the degree to which she is this candid. Although not surprised how partisan she is. I don't think for a moment she's aware that when she's resolutely supporting one candidate that it reflects unfairly on everybody representing democracy in each ward.

Although she is no longer incumbent and needing to work with some of these people so I think she's feeling a little free to say whatever she wants.
    I wish the bolded part was true because she is NOT saying much about anything or anyone.

As a former councillor, we all know on where Krushell leans about certain issues and who her allies are on city council. I'm fine with her being somewhat partisan...."I'm so happy for Sohi!".

But give us some dirt. Tell the viewers why Diotte's campaign failed. Tell us what Leibovici should of done differently. Saying "I really like this result" doesn't really engage me.

Michael Phair has sat on election night panels in previous years. Even though it was obvious who he was pulling for, at least he added substance to the coverage.

In Kerry Diotte 's HQ , there is many unhappy faces there right now
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Total votes project out to 215,799 after 145 polls.

BAHAHAHHAHA GOOD also

Don IvesonElected 70,570 61.6%
    Karen Leibovici 22,070 19.3%
    Kerry Diotte 18,364 16%
    More 145/279 polls reporting

I wonder if Diotte will man up and concede, or childishly wait till the bitter end.

leibovici won't stop talking here. I've seen presidential winning speeches less lengthy than this.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Well, there's over 71 000 Edmontonians who are happy.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

leibovici won't stop talking here. I've seen presidential winning speeches less lengthy than this.
    I'm surprised she didn't start naming her food caterers she used during her campaign...

I thought Kim Krushell would be a good political commentator. But for someone who loved the camera time when serving as a councillor, she doesn't really have anything enlightening to say on CTV's election coverage.
    I haven't much liked her coverage. The "I really like this result" rings as a little different.

So far this has been like viewing who Krushell would invite to a garden party than objective commentary on all the candidates.

I'm actually somewhat surprised the degree to which she is this candid. Although not surprised how partisan she is. I don't think for a moment she's aware that when she's resolutely supporting one candidate that it reflects unfairly on everybody representing democracy in each ward.

Although she is no longer incumbent and needing to work with some of these people so I think she's feeling a little free to say whatever she wants.
    I wish the bolded part was true because she is NOT saying much about anything or anyone.

As a former councillor, we all know on where Krushell leans about certain issues and who her allies are on city council. I'm fine with her being somewhat partisan...."I'm so happy for Sohi!".

But give us some dirt. Tell the viewers why Diotte's campaign failed. Tell us what Leibovici should of done differently. Saying "I really like this result" doesn't really engage me.

Michael Phair has sat on election night panels in previous years. Even though it was obvious who he was pulling for, at least he added substance to the coverage.
    Global was actually talking about the dynamics of the election and the interplay and how Diotte was trying to capture an angry vote that really wasn't there. tbh I thought there would be a lot more of it myself. Looks the public has given consent to continuation as opposed to a different direction in council.
    Although council will be much different with 6 new candidates.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Up to 226,422 after 174 polls.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmagnoblade View Post
    BAHAHAHHAHA GOOD also

Don IvesonElected 70,570 61.6%
    Karen Leibovici 22,070 19.3%
    Kerry Diotte 18,364 16%
    More 145/279 polls reporting
    Great, Iveson likes PRT!
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 22-10-2013 at 07:12 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Wow...

The margin was large when I left Edmonton. At gasoline alley..not even close!
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Don Iveson Elected 99,249 62.7%
    Karen Leibovici 29,566 18.7%
    Kerry Diotte 24,719 15.6%

195/279 polls reporting

226,335 after 195 polls.

C2E SME

On your concession speech Kerry, quit while you're ahead. It's over.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

Did anyone see Kerry's concession speech? I made a bet before he started that we would mention the arena, and I won the bet, surprise surprise.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Kerry had a nice little speech going there for a while, until he went on a childish "sour grapes" rant about how voters REALLY agree with him (despite coming in a distant 3rd).

The fact that he didn't shut up after thanking his volunteers and congratulating the election winners, demonstrated what a poor choice of a mayor he would've been. He also admitted that doesn't learn from his mistakes.... when he finished his speech saying he "wouldn't have done it any different".

Good riddance to this rubbish on council - he can now post to his heart's content on twitter at Tim Horton's instead of in council meetings.

226,335 after 195 polls.
    Up to 230,822 after 209 polls.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Did anyone see Kerry's concession speech?
    It sounded like he was confused and still thought he could turn this thing around.

WOW!! Diotte's "concession" speech was full of bitterness.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Good riddance to this rubbish on council - he can now post to his heart's content on twitter at Tim Horton's instead of in council meetings.
    I was thinking of a restaurant on 104th street where he can write his angry blogs.

C2E Continued Contributor

Yeah, Kerry just needs to go away now. I thought with his concession speech that he was going to put his big boy pants on and act like an adult, but apparently he did not realize that he lost...and lost big.

I will say that I am a bit surprised that there is such a large spread between Iveson and Leibovici. I thought they had a lot of similar views on issues, but possibly it was Don's ability to communicate his ideas and vision, that really hooked people.

Don Iveson Elected 108,369 62.7%
    Karen Leibovici 32,844 19%
    Kerry Diotte 26,718 15.5%

209/279 polls reporting

226,335 after 195 polls.
    Down to 219,189 after 237 polls.

C2E SME

To Kerry Diotte, on his speech: "I don't care, Idiotte!"

Who cares iveson is talkin now the kid is funny i love him already.

226,335 after 195 polls.
    Down to 219,189 after 237 polls.
    Final tally was 212,397. This is probably unofficial but close to the final tally.

Out of the eligible voter count of 619,138, 34.31% voted, which is slightly higher than the 33.43% in 2010.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...ltsSummary.pdf

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...e-to-vote.aspx

Me and my spouse just moved here in June so we weren't eligible to vote. If we had, we would have been there first thing in the morning to vote for Don. He seems really progressive.

Don Iveson Elected 132,162 62.2%
    Karen Leibovici 41,182 19.4%
    Kerry Diotte 32,917 15.5%

All 279 polls reporting

C2E Long Term Contributor

Global's coverage has been far superior, but that poli-sci prof is painful to listen to.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'm not sure what makes me more happy: that Don won, or that Kerry is unemployed. Again.

Mr. Diotte, you get out what you put in, and you didn't put anything in. That's why you lost.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Boom!
    Go down a few dark alleys.

Diotte should be getting used to this term. Would you like fries with that.

Firstly, congrats to Don Iveson and family! I knew a landslide would occur but not as what we just learned- more of 50-30-20. As i expounded a couple days ago, he is eye candy to the mass with strong articulation and direct vission. I just saw his speech- through satelite (Global)- as Im in Van- and what a great speech. He spoke with so much humbleness and deflected so much credits to others and Mayor Mandel. He was so classy with giving Mayor Mandel credit for establishing the ground works in wich he will use as the base to better our city. Im just so thrilled with the outcome, so go DONWON!!!

Lastly, thank you Mayor Mandel for your dedication to Edmonton! You have achieved so much in comparison to other past mayors. Im more than sastified with your performance. All the best to you and your family in your future endeavour- hopefully provincial!!!

New Edmonton. Vision beats potholes every day, every way and in every poll.

Don Koziak, non-vision and Kerry Diotte, your small-minded, limited view isn't just over - it's smashed and destroyed.

The National Poop Paper, Grope and Flail et al will be hugely disappointed - not that they will get it - or not be left in the dust.

Good-bye old, dead guard, National |Poop and Grope and Flail too!

Sorry for dancing on the graves of the dead - but this wasn't just an election, it's an execution warrant for the non-vision.

New sig comin'
    ... gobsmacked

For Richard S:
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/nensh...ters-1.1507385

In Edmonton, three city councillors vied to replace retiring incumbent Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel but Iveson led in the polls throughout the campaign.

The 34-year-old captured the imaginations of many voters with Kennedy-esque pleas for Edmonton to lead on an innovation agenda.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Now, who are his allies? Who will be the constant naysayers now that Diotte and Batty are gone?

He is still but one voice on council... who will be on his side to support him, advise him, and make sure we build, and build smart?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Posting Power
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley

McKeen for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Who will be the constant naysayers now that Diotte and Batty are gone?
    Mike Nickel is back.

Iveson election puts Edmonton in a good light. Upstanding young man with charisma who is about as far removed from any Eastern stereotypes about Alberta or Edmonton as one can get.

Laugh a minute that Toronto gets a Ford(or edsel) and we get an Iveson.

I'll take it.

People got the vote out.

C2E Continued Contributor

Congrats Don!
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    Yeah, Kerry just needs to go away now. I thought with his concession speech that he was going to put his big boy pants on and act like an adult, but apparently he did not realize that he lost...and lost big.

I will say that I am a bit surprised that there is such a large spread between Iveson and Leibovici. I thought they had a lot of similar views on issues, but possibly it was Don's ability to communicate his ideas and vision, that really hooked people.
    AT one point in the campaign, and it wasn't hilited a lot, Leibovici absolutely blew it making the comment that Edmonton was going to be in trouble without her leadership. I forget the words verbatim but it was really odd, really ego based, and the exact type of thing to turn off the electorate.
    Iveson compared to his fellow candidates exuded charm, consistent and real charm. Not photo op pretend. Iveson is what you get. This is who he is as a person and quite likeable. In the end this was an election partly about liking the candidate.
    I think Diotte and Leibovici took some turns self destructing. Iveson just had to stay out of the way and take higher road.

Kerry had a nice little speech going there for a while, until he went on a childish "sour grapes" rant about how voters REALLY agree with him (despite coming in a distant 3rd).

The fact that he didn't shut up after thanking his volunteers and congratulating the election winners, demonstrated what a poor choice of a mayor he would've been. He also admitted that doesn't learn from his mistakes.... when he finished his speech saying he "wouldn't have done it any different".

Symptomatic of his entire efforts entering, and running in this campaign. Seems as if some of his flaws regularly enough surfaced and perfectly illustrated by his concession speech. Had a minute or two of class going there, then actually stated "this is not the time to analyze" and then somehow in spite of himself got into the post hoc analysis. I'm watching that, and its over anyway, but I'm thinking "what are you doing".

Both Leibovici and Diotte were very ego based in concessions. Leibovici in giving the longest concession speech I've ever seen and Diotte not being able to get out of the way of his own dark side.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    For Richard S:
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/nensh...ters-1.1507385

In Edmonton, three city councillors vied to replace retiring incumbent Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel but Iveson led in the polls throughout the campaign.

The 34-year-old captured the imaginations of many voters with Kennedy-esque pleas for Edmonton to lead on an innovation agenda.
    ...and this proves what exactly...

...that the author has no clue who Kennedy was? What the agenda really was?

...that misplaced hyperbole and unnecessary juxtapositions are in full swing?

...as experience would tell you...just because you won a landslide in a popularity contest where the rest really didn't mount much of a challenge...the key...don't get cocky...

The real test lies ahead...make my vote count Don...
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Absolutely Richard! I was taught long ago... Getting to the top is easy; staying on top is a different game. As i extoll in the past, he will make mistakes, but i have confidents that he will achieve overall.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm at work getting off at 7pm and as I'm crossing the street at the Matrix hotel heading to Corona station I'm wondering whats going on there tonight! If I knew that was Don Iveson's election HQ I would have stopped in.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Global's coverage has been far superior, but that poli-sci prof is painful to listen to.
    Oh, man, did they have David Taras on? Speaking of people who just need to go away...
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    Oh, man, did they have David Taras on? Speaking of people who just need to go away...
    No it was some lady with red glasses. Took her ages to stumble through her sentences. I feel sorry for the U of A students who have to sit through her classes.

And yes, CTV did switch to reality TV at 10 PM. FAIL.

The 'easy' part is done. Now he needs to deliver.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

C2E SME

Yeah, I thought his concession speech was a train wreck. For one thing, he's a very poor public speaker. And yeah, his claims about "setting the agenda" and the voters agreeing with his "4 priorities" were ridiculous considering that the electorate soundly rejected him as a candidate. I don't know how responsible for the speech Diotte was, or if it was mostly written for him by someone else, but it was embarrassing to watch.

C2E SME

I think the concession speech must have been written by someone else, for Kerry. At least Leibovici has the class to thank her team, and let them shine.

Maybe it was written by the same volunteers that made the "arena stinks" video for him.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I think it was consistent with Kerry's history on council. Having been on the losing side of pretty much every vote, he took his baseball home and ran for Mayor.

The words you're maybe looking for are sore & loser ...
    ... gobsmacked

I just can't get over the beatdown Iveson gave his opponents at the ballot. I expected Iveson to win, but not by such a huge margin. I really thought Karen and Diotte had more solid support than that.

C2E SME

Well at least Kerry was consistent till the bitter end.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

What a fantastic night! I could not be more proud of our City and its citizens. Don has been a friend since high school and you could tell then big things were in store politically for him.

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I just can't get over the beatdown Iveson gave his opponents at the ballot. I expected Iveson to win, but not by such a huge margin. I really thought Karen and Diotte had more solid support than that.
    The victory is especially sweet when you go back and re-read the posts of the small handful of pro-Diotte posters here who implied that they were part of some kind of silent majority. It turns out, the polls of this race actually understated Iveson's support!

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    New Edmonton. Vision beats potholes every day, every way and in every poll.

Don Koziak, non-vision and Kerry Diotte, your small-minded, limited view isn't just over - it's smashed and destroyed.

The National Poop Paper, Grope and Flail et al will be hugely disappointed - not that they will get it - or not be left in the dust.

Good-bye old, dead guard, National |Poop and Grope and Flail too!

Sorry for dancing on the graves of the dead - but this wasn't just an election, it's an execution warrant for the non-vision.

New sig comin'
    Actually, the election result was the lead story last night on the Globe web site, with Iveson's pic at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    The victory is especially sweet when you go back and re-read the posts of the small handful of pro-Diotte posters here who implied that they were part of some kind of silent majority.
    For sure. The results of this election obviously show that most people in Edmonton have much bigger interests and concerns than the arena, property tax, and potholes.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Here's the meat - Don has introduced about twice as many motions as Karen and about eight times as many as Kerry. While Don and Karen's motions have a failure rate of 2%, Diotte's motions have a failure rate of 67%.

From Mack D Male: http://blog.mastermaq.ca/2013/10/19/...son-for-mayor/
    How is this possible, as the fast majority of motions are admin matters like adopting an agenda, accepting a report for information, etc. and never voted down? Or are you referring to actual iniatives rather than motions that are admin in nature?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    The victory is especially sweet when you go back and re-read the posts of the small handful of pro-Diotte posters here who implied that they were part of some kind of silent majority. It turns out, the polls of this race actually understated Iveson's support!
    Not directed at me but for clarity, and my own part, I rebuked the notion of silent majority as presumptive and unsubstantiated. No matter where that is alleged to fall.

Don't confuse that stance with my assertion that C2E views expressed herein may not reflect majority.

These are two different things.

In the end it appears though that C2E was in line with what the majority of Edmontonians thought. Except the majority stayed home...

tongue in cheek with that last part.

Ahh yes... Any supporter of the losing candidate will often try to suggest that if the unvoted had voted, it would be a different story.... that some how the unvoted were all for the losing candidate...
    Or the other one I'm hearing again (same thing when Mandel won) that the winner only represents 15% of the city because everyone else failed to vote, but some how their no-vote is the voice of the opposition...

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Ahh yes... Any supporter of the losing candidate will often try to suggest that if the unvoted had voted, it would be a different story.... that some how the unvoted were all for the losing candidate...
    Or the other one I'm hearing again (same thing when Mandel won) that the winner only represents 15% of the city because everyone else failed to vote, but some how their no-vote is the voice of the opposition...
    Did you miss tongue and cheek? That's not at all what I'm stating.

I wasn't a Diotte supporter, or a Liebo supporter, or necessarily an Iveson supporter. I did try to remain open about the candidates, like others have expressed here I was nonplussed with the election campaign and remained unsure for a longtime.

I would say of the candidates Iveson is clearly most appealing as a person. I see a candid honest pov that is quite attractive. Refreshing even.

C2E SME

I think it's great to have national attention on Don Iveson's victory (The Globe and Mail). Perhaps the rest of Canada will start to see the great things taking place in Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think it's great to have national attention on Don Iveson's victory (The Globe and Mail). Perhaps the rest of Canada will start to see the great things taking place in Edmonton.
    Yeah, I raised this last night.

The mythic hick quotient just got reversed. Toronto can have Ford, we're driving the shiny sleek Iveson.

Kind of representative of where futures lie in this country.

Looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Did you miss tongue and cheek? That's not at all what I'm stating.

I wasn't a Diotte supporter, or a Liebo supporter, or necessarily an Iveson supporter. I did try to remain open about the candidates, like others have expressed here I was nonplussed with the election campaign and remained unsure for a longtime.

I would say of the candidates Iveson is clearly most appealing as a person. I see a candid honest pov that is quite attractive. Refreshing even.
    My post wasn't exactly aimed at you... you just provided me a nice segue to it...

Hey, let's be fair: the vast majority could have been on Diotte's side, but maybe they were too scared of the big, bad potholes and decided to stay home instead of vote. Or they're armchair critics. Or they don't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieBoyinExile View Post
    ... (on a certain, ahem poster's rant) ... Actually, the election result was the lead story last night on the Globe web site, with Iveson's pic at the top.
    Fair enough - my bad. Actually - nice article by Gary Mason as well today on Iveson + Nenshi = new public face for Alberta to the ROC.
    ... gobsmacked

If perception is reality... having a cool mayor now will do a lot to fix what many see as an image problem for Edmonton.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10...?utm_hp_ref=tw
    Go down a few dark alleys.

Quote Originally Posted by mnugent View Post
    If perception is reality... having a cool mayor now will do a lot to fix what many see as an image problem for Edmonton.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10...?utm_hp_ref=tw
    Absolutely agree. A major shift happened last night. I am very, very excited for the next 4 years.

I think voters more approved of what the Mandel reign accomplished and said, "more please."

Still, Mandel was bald and grumpy - Iveson is young and telegenic - that may well change stereotypic perceptions of Edmonton.

Which will be a good and exciting thing, yes.
    ... gobsmacked

Less than 24 hours and Edmonton seems to have gotten more positive national media attention than I have seen in a very long time. I know there is more than just image to being the mayor, but he can do things for Edmonton's reputation just by existing that the other candidates would never have been able to achieve.

I too am impressed by the margins. The results, to me speak to an impressive change in Civic identity in the city. Don embodies a change in the way many engaged people are beginning to see the city, and listening to his speech that is exactly what he was going for. His mention of trying to reflect the city back to the voters is a strategy I think that I think worked well for him. Many of the people that really care about the city looked at Don and saw a genuine understanding in why they live here, and why they want to stay. I don't think Karen managed to tap into the change in the way many Edmontonians see themselves. Although she was a very good and competent candidate, it felt like she was campaigning to a portion of Edmonton's identity that is fading while Don reached out to something that is growing.

And although I'm usually the first to blast people for making comparisons to Calgary, I'd argue that many of the successes we see down south have less to do with government favoritism than it does with a confidence and optimism that we seemed to loose in the 90s. Mandel dared Edmonton to believe in itself and based on what I see so far I think Don's dare is to get people out and acting on that confidence.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I opened this thread because a) the election is over and b) I am tired of the negativity in the other thread.

Election over. Time to move on.
    Ow

This is great to see personally!

Like has mentioned in other posts, the very fact we now have a "cool" mayor will help continue the shift seeing Edmonton as "cool"

Very excited for the future of the city.

The huge margins shows that Edmontonians demand more. We are not small town thinkers. We see our potential and we are going for it!!
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

I think we have a geeky mayor, and that's pretty cool
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Don's already on the job
    Quote Originally Posted by CBC
    Don Iveson spoke with most of his new city council as well as outgoing mayor Stephen Mandel on Tuesday, one day after he won the race to be Edmonton’s next mayor.
    Iveson met with Mandel at his office in city hall. After the two men embraced and shook hands, Mandel hailed his successor as a progressive, creative individual who will move the city forward.

“It’s an exciting time for the city of Edmonton,” Mandel said. “Edmontonians should be very excited a very dynamic, creative, individual is going to lead our city over the next four years.”

Iveson said he spent a good part of his morning fielding calls from the national media, noting that the results of the Edmonton election have caught the country’s attention.

Thank God Edmontonians saw through Diotte's fakery.

Looking forward to Iveson as mayor. Interesting times.

They saw no platforms from Diotte or liebovici. One complaints and the other one keeps trying to convince us she is a leader. Those kinds of campaigs will fail. Don explains how and what he will do through out the campaign. Basically, he gave us answers. When I get answers-good or bad- I know where you are going with it. I don't know why some are shocked with the landslide...

I am impressed with the council. Some very positive additions with good business background.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I'm hoping you're right, Glenco. My entire uneasiness about this election was whether we could get managers (project, financial, strategic) to actually oversee the implementation of the various visions that are already out there. Arena and environs, Blatchford, and LRT are the main ones I can think of where public money is being used. There are probably lots of others that I don't know about. But if those could be executed on budget and on time (and preferably to spec also), that would be enough to create a lasting legacy. If they do other stuff that's would be cool too, of course.

Eve

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

So what becomes of Karen and Kerry now? Do they get pensions?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glenco View Post
    i am impressed with the council. Some very positive additions with good business background.
    agree

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    So what becomes of Karen and Kerry now? Do they get pensions?
    In her concessions peach Karen volunteered her services to the new mayor. Hopefully her expertise can be utilized some where.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

That would be a great outcome. I wouldn't have been upset if Karen had won the election because I got the impression that she is skilled. There must be some job she can do where she can use her inside knowledge of the system.

Note I'm not saying the same about Diotte because I didn't get quite the same impression from him.

Eve

I would strongly concur that Karen's expertise has to be tapped as mentioned in my view on the mayoral's race. Unfortunately, her persona is weak which led to her failed campaign. Hopefully some sort of portfolio can be created for her. Perhaps develope a position where she can consult Don, and under her umbrella, she can create a consortium to persue business and head office relocation interests to Edmonton. HEAD OFFICE wise, start looking at CN. They have massive interest here already, and their future growth will come from the west. Oil/gas and goods from China via Prince Rupert/Kittima. Edmonton is a perfect logistic and head office location for CN.

ctzn-Ed I like your idea. I'm happy that Don Iveson is our new mayor, but Karen was my second choice. Her talents and connections could be of value to our city administration.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

I am sure he will sue people.. that is what he tends to do.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I think we have a geeky mayor, and that's pretty cool
    Indeed, one of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Iveson on twitter
    Don Iveson ‏@doniveson
    Got to try to out-eyebrow Karl Urban at @edmontonexpo today. “He’s a Dr, not a politician.”

Kerry's weakness at the poles was foreshadowed by his comparitive lack of campaign contributions.

From Metro News:

Quote Originally Posted by Metro News
    Diotte has been silent on his finances in the campaign, but he said he had between one quarter and one fifth of the $600,000 his opponents had, with less than $150,000 for the race.
    As someone else on C2E postulated earlier (can't remember who), he likely held back the list of his campaign contributors to hide how little support he had.

^ are we surprised..... no not really.

Just go to show what happens when you surround yourself with yes people....

"Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Kerry's weakness at the poles was foreshadowed by his comparitive lack of campaign contributions.

From Metro News:

Quote Originally Posted by Metro News
    Diotte has been silent on his finances in the campaign, but he said he had between one quarter and one fifth of the $600,000 his opponents had, with less than $150,000 for the race.
    As someone else on C2E postulated earlier (can't remember who), he likely held back the list of his campaign contributors to hide how little support he had.
    The lack of donation is so they could save it to pay for the arena.

C2E Posting Power
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley

I was a strong supporter of Karen until she started sitting on the neutrality fence on a several key issues. I saw it as her trying to please as many people as possible.

The main one that had me vote Don was when she was asked about urban sprawl and her answer was "we have to build upwards and outwards".

Which means she has no answer.

Don Braid is hopeful: http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion...114/story.html
    I wish I could share in his optimism.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast