Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: election night onward - Don Iveson elected

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Sidebar

Interesting perspective on Doug Griffiths which starts as follow (Quote from Don Braid's Article)
    "Nenshi has been especially harsh toward Municipal Affairs Minister Doug Griffiths, saying he’s stalled the charter and hasn’t done a single thing for Calgary......"

Article continues on in this vein somewhat against Griffiths

BTW Griffiths is rumored to be running against and possiblly superseding our current Premier at the PC meeting and vote in Red Deer next month
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Poor Preston manning and his "municipal gov't agenda" is looking less and less relevant.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

^^Interesting gossip about Griffiths and the leadership review. Any shareable sources?

^Careful. Underestimating Preston Manning is a mug's game.

old PC dogs yackin over their congacs

^ you are too negative...

Redford is going to have to come out strong in both cities......

I am very excited to find out what is in the muni gov't act changes!! They are ready to be tabled say my friends at the GOA.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Edp
    this was not me being negative
    It was me spreading credible hearsay .......................

I think he was talking to me.

ahh

Re: Karen

She could potentially have a lot of value for the city of Edmonton. She has a lot of experience across Canada working with municipalities, she was a former Liberal MLA and arguable the second choice of most Edmonton voters in the municipal election. I think that she could have a future role in politics...

As we're watching the federal Conservatives falling apart right now, this provides a remarkable opportunity for Karen. While she was defeated by a young charismatic leader, another young, charismatic leader could be her best shot at a continued career in politics - Mr. Trudeau. I'd be surprised if she didn't fight for a Liberal nomination for the upcoming federal election. She'd be a star candidate.

An experienced woman from western Canada with a strong following and name recognition ---> Cabinet position.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

I don't know if i agree with you. Karen does possessed experience, but the way she presented herself at our recent civic election, her experience is more of familiarity of autonomy and not so much leadership ability at the precipice height. That has advantages, but only to a small degree. A comparable analogy would be someome taking the same route around the block so many times, and now they can do it blindfolded; however, if that course is disrupted, they stumble. A star? Not... A poignant advisor of autonomy? Yes... If she failed to convince us that she is the star of the lowest denomination of politics, how can she become a big fish in the sea? She does not possess that kind of charisma. If anything, bring Anne McCelland out of retirement.
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 23-10-2013 at 11:37 PM.

We need someone of her expertise to help develop a new funding model for Canadian cities. Yeah she's not a super charismatic politician and not leadership material but she was a very effective councilor. There are many boring, uninspiring MPs with cabinet positions. See: Jim Flaherty.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Election results by polling station/ward: http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...ng_Station.pdf

What's remarkable is not just that Iveson won every single ward by wide margins (including Diotte and Leibovici's), but, to my eye (and I'll need to double-check this), I don't think he lost a single polling station, either!

Best Iveson wards:

Ward 8: 69.64%
    Ward 9: 68.87%
    Ward 10: 68.52%
    Ward 6: 67.98%

Don still won his "weakest" Ward (Ward 1) by a 55%-27% margin over Leibovici.

^ Wow, that's remarkable.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Close but he didn't get:

03-201 Seniors Accommodation Voting Station (tie)
    Ward 3 City Wide Hospital Vote
    Ward 5 City Wide Hospital Vote
    Ward 5 City Wide Special Ballots (tie)
    Ward 6 City Wide Special Ballots

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

^Ah good catch. But double-checking, I think Ward 3 City Wide Hospital Vote and Ward 5 City Wide Hospital Vote were ties, too!

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I don't know if i agree with you. Karen does possessed experience, but the way she presented herself at our recent civic election, her experience is more of familiarity of autonomy and not so much leadership ability at the precipice height. That has advantages, but only to a small degree. A comparable analogy would be someome taking the same route around the block so many times, and now they can do it blindfolded; however, if that course is disrupted, they stumble. A star? Not... A poignant advisor of autonomy? Yes... If she failed to convince us that she is the star of the lowest denomination of politics, how can she become a big fish in the sea? She does not possess that kind of charisma. If anything, bring Anne McCelland out of retirement.
    she sold herself as the heir apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    ^Ah good catch. But double-checking, I think Ward 3 City Wide Hospital Vote and Ward 5 City Wide Hospital Vote were ties, too!
    Yup

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    she sold herself as the heir apparent.
    No! She tried to convince us that she was a proven leader as all the candidates sold themselves as the next leader. I did stated in comments on the ' race for mayor '... " what has she led?" She was invloved in committees. Involved is not lead... Further more, she couldn't even state how she led, but stated in this fashion..." the city needs a proven leader." Was she the president/ceo of a corporation at one point? What? A leader should know how to present confident diposition. Her body and head position during interviews always appear timmid and uncertain; her voice reverberated like a sick kitten. Not confident at all. That was why voters looked pass her, and the business would have too- also stated in my past comments. However, her experience with autonomy must tapped to the fullest.

ok.. she still sold herself as the Heir Apparent. A few media personal expressed the same feelings. especially early on in the campaign.

Her campaign was "it's my turn now, I paid my dues"

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I don't know if it is just me...but with the decision made and election over...maybe it is time to move on?

...not a comment against anyone...just one in general.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

^It's just you.

Dissecting election results is fun. All that's missing is the beer and tacos. Which reminds me. It's close to quitting time.

edit my own response... not worth it.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Beer and tacos is alright...but I hope this does not turn into yet another bash the losing candidate thread...

...I am sure many are questioning their campaigns...including the candidate him or herself...

C2E SME

I think Leibovici will do well lobbying for the interests of Canadian cities. There are many areas where one can offer leadership.

I'd like to see the city take a look at the future, rather than bashing the losing candidates. Doing so is no better than the actions that we hated. Personally, I'm tired of this bashing, and I don't want Edmonton to be condemned to repeat its history.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I'm sure the losing campaigns (as well as the winning one) will do their own debrief to better understand where things went wrong (or right).

Still trying to wrap my head around how Iveson won 62% of the vote against two other councillors each of whom had significant strengths and political appeal.

Diotte ran an inept campaign attracting little money and few volunteers. Leibovici had both money, volunteers, and a message that should have resonated (proven leadership) better than it did.

ctzn-Ed's comment above may have been a bit harsh. But it also had the ring of truth. Politics can be a cruel game.

I may be harsh, but this is not Ken and Barby playhouse either. The truth is , politics is also business...if you are not savy, quick wit and thoughts, you will be devoured in seconds. I see how my NY employers work, and in their sea, there are tons of super gigantic white sharks. As I did state, her experience should be tapped to the fullest. In the business world, if you're going to let your emotion or pride impede you, you might as well just hop into the grave before you even start.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Iveson support spanned all wards and ages, election numbers show

...don’t call Monday’s election a victory for the youth vote. Poll-by-poll results from city hall show that Edmonton’s seniors were hip to the generational wave rolling across new suburbs and older communities. The old folks also cast their ballots for Iveson by a wide margin in special polling stations.
    Mulling over Iveson’s victory, David Maclean of the conservative Alberta Enterprise Group, says he figures Iveson was ahead going out of the gate and “that surprised a lot of people,” including many in the city’s Conservative establishment who supported Leibovici.

The early lead allowed Iveson to run a positive campaign and put forward an agenda that resonated with voters, he said.

Soon, Leibovici was simply side-swiped “by a real youth movement going on, and it’s dangerous for any politician over 60,” said MacLean.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

More from above article

Iveson’s impressive victory shows support across the city — except in one place, says Wildrose strategist Vitor Marciano. Many in the city’s older political elite publicly supported Leibovici in newspaper ads.

“It’s the first time somebody is mayor without having the establishment on his side,” said Marciano.
    Patti Mastuka, former adviser to retiring Mayor Stephen Mandel, said Iveson “had an edge” on people power with his team of 400 to 500 volunteers.

But mostly he reflected Edmonton’s new confidence and “the spirit of building this city” that voters were looking for, she said.

“The city has a very different self image than it did nine years ago (before Mandel) — they’re confident about what a great city it is,” she added.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    More from above article

Iveson’s impressive victory shows support across the city — except in one place, says Wildrose strategist Vitor Marciano. Many in the city’s older political elite publicly supported Leibovici in newspaper ads.

“It’s the first time somebody is mayor without having the establishment on his side,” said Marciano.
    Depending on how you define establishment, Iveson also had some heavy hitters on his side. John Day, Doug Goss, and Eric Young come to mind. And others like Irv and Diane Kipnes covered their bases by donating to both campaigns.

"Establishment" is what it is...the political, community and business leadership. Call it "big boys club".

I have posted Liebovici's full endorsement list. As you can see, a lot of heavy hitters and recognizable names.

http://karenformayor.ca/endorsements/

Vivian Abboud
    Eli & Caroline Abboud
    Sam Abouhassan
    Marvin Abugov
    Jack & Jeannie Agrios
    Paul & Beth Allard
    Denny Andrews
    Jan Archbold
    Jane Batty
    Diane Bergeron
    Don & Marina Berry
    Naresh Bhardwaj
    Salim Bhimji
    Bob & Marilyn Blakely
    Paul Boparai
    Gordon & Diane Buchanan
    Judy & Harry Buddle
    Debby Carlson
    Terry Cavanagh
    Sine & Seham Chadi
    Jake & Wisam Chadi
    Sid & Louise Chadi
    Bill Chahal
    Perry Chahal
    John & Maggie Cherwick
    John Chomiak
    Frank Cimino
    Lana Cuthbertson
    John Cutler
    Hal Danchilla
    Dr. Adriana Davies
    Bill Daye
    Karyn Decore
    Anne Marie Decore
    Dennis Ducharme
    Dennis Erker
    Eli & Antoinette Estephan
    Pat & Wendy Fair
    Bassem Fares
    Farhat Farhat
    Rino Filippelli
    Ken Fiske
    Raeanne Forbes
    Lance Frazier
    Barbara Fung
    Raimond Fung
    Lawrence Giacobbo
    Cllr. Ed Gibbons
    Crystal Graham
    Tim Grover
    Larry & Adibi Hahn
    Ray Hajar
    Joe Hak
    Sid Hanson
    Dave & Erin Hardy
    Jon Havelock
    David Hennessey
    Mike Henry
    Jane Hewes
    Mei Hung
    Jibril Ibrahim
    Ninele Jackson
    Shiraz Jiwani
    Krishan Joshee
    Raymond & Therese Karam
    Steve Kates
    Catherine Keill
    Muru Khamisi
    Stephen Kindred
    Irv & Diane Kipnes
    Lap Cheuk Kwong
    Betty Lafferty
    Larry Langley
    Jeanne Lehman
    Michael Lohner
    Wilf Ladores
    Betty Loree
    Thomas Lukaszuk
    Rod Lumabi
    Karen MacKenzie
    Dan MacLennan
    Crystal McPhee
    John Mah
    John Mahon
    Josh Miller
    Shelley Miller
    Dr. Dennis Modry
    Beth Mossop
    Mike Mrdjenovich
    Sally Munro
    Hatem Naboulsi
    Dr. Thomas & Melanie Nakatsui
    Thanh Nguyen
    Amanda Nielson
    Mark Norris
    Sandra Palazzo
    Nawaz Panhwer
    Terry Paranych
    Larry Pempeit
    Tony Pino
    Peter Pino
    Jeff Polovich
    Sandy Pon
    Nancy Power
    Ted Power
    Dave Purewal
    Sohail Quadri
    Hasoon Rahal
    Janet M. Riopel
    Jeff Robinson
    Nelson Rodriguez
    Sol Rolingher
    Cathy Roozen
    Robert Rosen
    Claudette Roy
    Father Joseph Salame
    Issam Saleh
    Martin Salloum
    Bruce Saville
    Elexis Schloss
    Allan & Marianne Scott
    Peter Sekulic
    Claire Seo
    Ali Shaben
    Mike Shawar
    Yasser Shawar
    Kathleen Smith
    Bill & Marlene Smith
    Jeff Smith
    Peter & Paula Sorrell
    Phil & Nicole Stephen
    Khalid Tarabain
    Liz Tweedle
    Crystal Urban
    Van Vuong
    Kathy Watson
    Bob & Marilyn Westbury
    Dick Wong
    Richard Wong
    Sally Wu
    Alice Xiao
    David Xiao
    Sofia Yaqub
    Arlene Yakeley
    Henry Yip

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    More from above article

Depending on how you define establishment, Iveson also had some heavy hitters on his side. John Day, Doug Goss, and Eric Young come to mind. And others like Irv and Diane Kipnes covered their bases by donating to both campaigns.

...exactly...let's not gloss this over...

It is not abnormal for donations to span multiple candidates to cover bases...

..so, can we please stop with this hyperbole that Don's election is somehow a youth revolution and anti-establishment? Please?

...the reality is...out of the candidates that bothered to run...he was the overwhelming choice. Period.

Can we get onto business now?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    ...the reality is...out of the candidates that bothered to run...he was the overwhelming choice. Period.

Can we get onto business now?
    Hear, hear!!
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/featur...-big-cities-c/

Great radio clip of our new elected mayors.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

The best thing about it was each mayor talking about each others cities.

Calgary mayor talking about Edmonton.. Edmonton Mayor talking about Calgary!

FINALLY!!! TEAM WORK!!

I listened to As It Happens last night. That was the second time they had the two mayors on the program. As It Happens seems to regard them as the new superstars of Canadian civic politics, and rightfully so. Both of them are so darned articulate and speak with obvious intelligence. How wonderful!!!
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

The emails and listener response was HUGE!

It be awesome if these two co hosted a radio show... a la rob ford but done right.

Great sense of teamwork and cooperation. I like how they exemplified that other provinces have granted City Charters, and with Alberta as a power-house, why do we not have one yet. Great to see harmonious dedication on this front.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

"Establishment" is what it is...the political, community and business leadership. Call it "big boys club".

I have posted Liebovici's full endorsement list. As you can see, a lot of heavy hitters and recognizable names.

http://karenformayor.ca/endorsements/

Vivian Abboud
    Eli & Caroline Abboud
    Sam Abouhassan
    Marvin Abugov
    Jack & Jeannie Agrios
    Paul & Beth Allard
    Denny Andrews
    Jan Archbold
    Jane Batty
    Diane Bergeron
    Don & Marina Berry
    Naresh Bhardwaj
    Salim Bhimji
    Bob & Marilyn Blakely
    Paul Boparai
    Gordon & Diane Buchanan
    Judy & Harry Buddle
    Debby Carlson
    Terry Cavanagh
    Sine & Seham Chadi
    Jake & Wisam Chadi
    Sid & Louise Chadi
    Bill Chahal
    Perry Chahal
    John & Maggie Cherwick
    John Chomiak
    Frank Cimino
    Lana Cuthbertson
    John Cutler
    Hal Danchilla
    Dr. Adriana Davies
    Bill Daye
    Karyn Decore
    Anne Marie Decore
    Dennis Ducharme
    Dennis Erker
    Eli & Antoinette Estephan
    Pat & Wendy Fair
    Bassem Fares
    Farhat Farhat
    Rino Filippelli
    Ken Fiske
    Raeanne Forbes
    Lance Frazier
    Barbara Fung
    Raimond Fung
    Lawrence Giacobbo
    Cllr. Ed Gibbons
    Crystal Graham
    Tim Grover
    Larry & Adibi Hahn
    Ray Hajar
    Joe Hak
    Sid Hanson
    Dave & Erin Hardy
    Jon Havelock
    David Hennessey
    Mike Henry
    Jane Hewes
    Mei Hung
    Jibril Ibrahim
    Ninele Jackson
    Shiraz Jiwani
    Krishan Joshee
    Raymond & Therese Karam
    Steve Kates
    Catherine Keill
    Muru Khamisi
    Stephen Kindred
    Irv & Diane Kipnes
    Lap Cheuk Kwong
    Betty Lafferty
    Larry Langley
    Jeanne Lehman
    Michael Lohner
    Wilf Ladores
    Betty Loree
    Thomas Lukaszuk
    Rod Lumabi
    Karen MacKenzie
    Dan MacLennan
    Crystal McPhee
    John Mah
    John Mahon
    Josh Miller
    Shelley Miller
    Dr. Dennis Modry
    Beth Mossop
    Mike Mrdjenovich
    Sally Munro
    Hatem Naboulsi
    Dr. Thomas & Melanie Nakatsui
    Thanh Nguyen
    Amanda Nielson
    Mark Norris
    Sandra Palazzo
    Nawaz Panhwer
    Terry Paranych
    Larry Pempeit
    Tony Pino
    Peter Pino
    Jeff Polovich
    Sandy Pon
    Nancy Power
    Ted Power
    Dave Purewal
    Sohail Quadri
    Hasoon Rahal
    Janet M. Riopel
    Jeff Robinson
    Nelson Rodriguez
    Sol Rolingher
    Cathy Roozen
    Robert Rosen
    Claudette Roy
    Father Joseph Salame
    Issam Saleh
    Martin Salloum
    Bruce Saville
    Elexis Schloss
    Allan & Marianne Scott
    Peter Sekulic
    Claire Seo
    Ali Shaben
    Mike Shawar
    Yasser Shawar
    Kathleen Smith
    Bill & Marlene Smith
    Jeff Smith
    Peter & Paula Sorrell
    Phil & Nicole Stephen
    Khalid Tarabain
    Liz Tweedle
    Crystal Urban
    Van Vuong
    Kathy Watson
    Bob & Marilyn Westbury
    Dick Wong
    Richard Wong
    Sally Wu
    Alice Xiao
    David Xiao
    Sofia Yaqub
    Arlene Yakeley
    Henry Yip
    how about the list of Iveson's supporters ??
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Don Iveson's favorite TV show is The Wire? The more I know about the man, the more I like him!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12