Thread: New London tube map

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default New London tube map

http://static.crstatic.co.uk/assets/...etwork_map.jpg
    This map shows what the London tube map will look like in 2018 when Crossrail begins service. It also shows the Tramlink, an extension to the Northern from Kennington to Battersea and the re-routing of the Metropolitan line to Watford junction station. My old haunt.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

"The Emirates Air Line"
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

I wonder when they will sell out the name of their country. Perhaps in the future it will be United Emirates Kingdom. One would think there are enough companies in the UK who would pay for naming rights, but they probably went to the highest bidder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    "The Emirates Air Line"
    Well, London is slowly being taken over by Islam and entire neighbourhoods have enforced Shariah law by local militias, so it makes sense if they're going to sell out, they sell out to middle Eastern interests first.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    I wonder when they will sell out the name of their country. Perhaps in the future it will be United Emirates Kingdom. One would think there are enough companies in the UK who would pay for naming rights, but they probably went to the highest bidder.

Looking at that map's gotta burn eh? Still, one day Edmonton, one day....
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Whats gotta burn? London was building subway before Edmonton was even incorporated as a city....

but go on - tell us expat - how great is that you move all the way here to brag about how good it was back there?

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    "The Emirates Air Line"
    Well, London is slowly being taken over by Islam and entire neighbourhoods have enforced Shariah law by local militias, so it makes sense if they're going to sell out, they sell out to middle Eastern interests first.
    It's getting quite bad now. Last time I was over we went to Westminster Abbey to do a bit of sightseeing for an afternoon, only to find out they'd turned it into a mosque.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

C2E SME

Now that's an impressive map. hmmmmmm, how much money would we have to spend to get Edmonton and region up to speed along the lines of that map.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    What? Lol i cant tell if this is a t.roll or not
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Sadly its not a tr0ll, but truth, one would think that people would enjoy freedom instead of imposing bondage on others.
    http://gatesofvienna.blogspot.ca/201...in-london.html

It irks me as a taxpayer to see the naming rights sold to the highest bidder on anything funded by taxes. Telus Field should still be named either Renfrew or Ducey, and more directly to the topic, Bay/Enterprise or South Campus/Fort Edmonton stations. NAIT for a station name makes sense there are only 3 possible names NAIT, Princess Elizabeth or Kingsway (already taken by the station by Royal Alex).

My guess is most people in London will probably call it Crossrail rather than the United Emirates Air Line sort of like people in Chicago still call it Sears Tower rather than Willis Tower.

“Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Registration page. "Your account has now been activated."

Sorry about that

http://youtu.be/NlxcpNJUYU0

I thought originally they were going to rename Crossrail (it possibly will be renamed to something else) to be United Emirates Air Line, but rather that is a tram that goes from Greenwich to Royal Docks
    https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cm...d-tube-map.pdf

I personally never had a problem with the Harry Beck version of the map. But there is one that is accurate geographically.
    ---
    After 80 Years of Confusing People, the London Underground Has an Accurate Map
    http://gizmodo.com/after-80-years-of...gro-1732055440

C2E Long Term Contributor

Thanks for that. I loved the simplicity of the other, but can appreciate that many seem unable to read maps and the graphic would have thrown many off instead of trusting the document.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Fixing something that was never broken. The simplicity and ease of use of the London Tubes map was impeccable.

A perfect utilitarian depiction. Get out of Heathrow, know how to use the tubes instantly.

Although maybe its strength was ease of use for tourists and maybe residents didn't like that it wasn't scale accurate?

Anyway kind of sad about this. The Beck version should be retained as an alternate map for tourists or anybody that prefers that map.

In anycase sounds like an automatic opportunity for somebody to continue to publish the map that most people prefer using. I bet you'll still be able to find the Beck map around but have to pay a bit for it.

In anycase the article is so misworded. "Confusing" "Dificult to Navigate' Becks map was schematic perfection. The simplest thing to use.

I'm left wondering how "30% of travellers that got lost" using the tubes map found their way in or out of Heathrow. Worked great for the other 70%.
    The new map will be harder to read for anybody older with less than perfect vision or in less than perfect lighting conditions. The simplicity and perfection of the Beck map is being able to navigate on the fly, while on the tube, while walking to the station..
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-09-2015 at 03:12 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

It will be interesting to see how well this works but I expect the 30 per cent of travellers getting lost has more to do with the overall size and complexity of London than any failing of the tube map. I look at the the two of them and think that for trying to navigate between two stations with one or more transfers is going to be easier on the Beck version. Route finding is all about nodes rather than the physical geography. That said I do like the new one for seeing the physical geography. Personally an interface that could move between the two would be ideal.

In the end it's kind of moot as most navigation is going to be by people punching start and end points into an app and following the directions.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    I personally never had a problem with the Harry Beck version of the map. But there is one that is accurate geographically.
    ---
    After 80 Years of Confusing People, the London Underground Has an Accurate Map
    http://gizmodo.com/after-80-years-of...gro-1732055440
    The Gizmodo reporter appears to have never studied geography or human geography. Maps are representations intended to convey particular geographic information. No map is completely accurate.

The Beck tube map is very accurate in conveying what it was intended to convey: the relationship between various tube lines and where they intersect. The new version is very good at showing tube lines in the physical geography of London but I think will be pretty confusing for actual route finding. When I'm trying to get between two points on the tube, all I care about is where the lines intersect, not the intricacies of every turn and curve over the geography of London.
    Last edited by Paul Turnbull; 21-09-2015 at 04:32 PM.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

My comment on that Gizmodo article is best summed up in one fine and emphatic English descriptor: Bollocks!

The Beck map is a superb example of form and function. It'll never be bettered. I have a 1914 edition of a London Gazetteer and the tube maps in there have more in keeping with the new ones being proffered now. Mr. Beck did everyone a favour.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra